Leslie Frazier will reportedly get strong consideration for a HC job in next NFL hiring cycle

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

also, the venom in this thread, and in this fanbase in general, for a coordinator whose unit has finished top 10 or better in every season he's been here is WILD

We could do alot worse, that goes without saying.

Do I think we need to get more creative in late game situations and in general to create more opportunities for turnovers? Absolutely. 

So I won't bad mouth Leslie Frasier because like I said, it could be alot worse. But it could also be a little better.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

All the people who come on here and still make a stink about 13 seconds…..

They should check their own Self-esteem…. Because reading through some of these posts it’s awfully low

And I’d wager Frazier Does his job better than Everyone criticizing him

Edited by Buffalo716

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

For Leslie’s sake, I hope it materializes.  He deserves another shot.  What gives me pause is how he was bypassed previously.  Houston actually hired David Culley - one of the worst and unqualified coaching hires in recent memory - over Frazier in 2020.  

I think what hurts him the most is his age.  Hiring a well-spoken, polite, unflashy but successful 70 year-old assistant coaches to takeover does not sell tickets (Ask Houston).  

If he does get a shot, the best thing he can do is hire young coordinators and be the CEO of the team.  Ironically, if SD fires Brandon Staley that might be a solid landing spot 

Edited by JohnNord

4 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

5-8 NFL HC openings at $10M. Yup, he's an older guy with a :13 screw up.

But, seriously, is Frazier a top 8 BEST football coach on the planet Earth? I think not. (neither is Hackett but, hey, go Broncos!).

I think it’s more about his age than race.  Every teams wants to hire the next Sean McVay

People here are VASTLY overrating the 13 seconds thing when it comes to other teams' decision making.  There are exactly zero GMs who would go "Well this guy's perfect but he had that one choke job."

The reason he won't get hired is because he's in his 60's with a bad HC stint on his record and teams are going to be on the wunderkind young coach kick more than ever after the success McDaniel is having in Miami.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Everyone gets he is:

• an older dude (ageism)
  • a former HC (re-tread),
  • defense side (not in vogue)
  • Nothing new or flashy about him, period. Season tickets will not be sold on his HC hiring!!

:13 is just icing on the cake "sorry you missed your chance"

He can change the story with 2022 SB win. 

• Agree 1

I hope Frazier gets his opportunity to be a head coach again.  He's a quality coach and a better person.  I'm wondering who would be the replacement?  I think McDermott is probably immutable in his belief that his scheme is the one the Bills should run.  That would translate IMO to the bills not hiring a DC from outside of the team with a strong association to a radically different defensive scheme.  That would limit the Bills to hiring someone from the outside whose system is close enough to meld seamlessly with McDermott's or to promote from within. 

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

13-seconds puts a bad taste in your mouth. 

When you're playing 25 yards off (exaggerated) every Chiefs WR and still rushing 4 when you know Mahomes has to get rid of the ball almost immediately was beyond bad. 

Well not fer nuthin, 49 and his wing span had the middle of the field covered.....I don't know how Mahommes could see an open receiver.

Edited by nosejob

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Our defense let us down in Houston and twice in KC.  You can't deny that. 13 seconds will forever stick to Leslie's legacy. I like him as a person and coach but if I get a 3rd round pick and a different direction on D, sign me up in a heartbeat. 

If there is a different direction on D then McDermott has abandoned his stated defensive principles.   He and Frazier come from the same defensive hive mind:  DL pass rush of 4 that gets pressure and use a rotation of them.  Zone for the most part in the back 7.  Frazier is there, in part, for that reason.  If he’s gone guess what the next DC will most likely run.  

McDermott isn’t all of sudden changing his mind on the defense he believes in.

3 hours ago, wppete said:

Would be all for this. Time to get new minds on our Defense. Bring in Jim Leonard  o replace Frazier. 

Kyle Williams for Dline coach. When you look at line stunts such as the 49ers do with the front four, it's like wow. Why can't we do stuff like that....and they did it without Armstead.

• Like (+1) 1

Good for him if he does but I've always felt like he kinda freezes up in high pressure situations. I also feel like he has a hesitancy to be aggressive and mix things up. I remember in 2020 when the usual strategies weren't really working and it wasn't until McDermott sat down with him that things changed. They started dialing up different pressures and sending the LBs and DBs to blitz here and there, and at least that way they were finally getting some pressure. 

It's McDermott's defense so if Les does leave then I'm not too worried about his replacement. 

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Obviously I’d be very happy for him but there is no way you reset your franchise by hiring a 62 year old Leslie Frazier.  

The team that hires him would have to have a combination of at least 2 of the following 

1.  Already have a franchise QB

2.  Be atrocious on defense 

3.  Has all kinds of character issues

4.  Is completely tanking 

I don’t know of any team that does 

I think that’s mostly true. (It’s not ageism.) Also:

5. Be underachieving with overall quality talent

6. Most recently failed with a notably young and notably offensive-oriented head coach

I do think it requires multiple check boxes to receive Josina’s “strong consideration.”

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Lovie Smith - hired by the Texans last year - 63

Todd Bowles - hired by Tampa last year - 58

Doug Peterson - hired by Jaguards last year - 54

Other notable coach ages:

Pete Carrol: 70

Bill Belichick: 69

Andy Reed: 64

John Harbaugh: 59

Mike McCarthy: 58

It might help if you put playoff/ SB experience along with these. I think you screwed whatever point you were trying to make.

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

For Leslie’s sake, I hope it materializes.  He deserves another shot.  What gives me pause is how he was bypassed previously.  Houston actually hired David Culley - one of the worst and unqualified coaching hires in recent memory - over Frazier in 2020.  

I think what hurts him the most is his age.  Hiring a well-spoken, polite, unflashy but successful 70 year-old assistant coaches to takeover does not sell tickets (Ask Houston).  

If he does get a shot, the best thing he can do is hire young coordinators and be the CEO of the team.  Ironically, if SD fires Brandon Staley that might be a solid landing spot 

What may be hurting him is his previous gigs. Minnesota?...elsewhere?

15 minutes ago, purple haze said:

If there is a different direction on D then McDermott has abandoned his stated defensive principles.   He and Frazier come from the same defensive hive mind:  DL pass rush of 4 that gets pressure and use a rotation of them.  Zone for the most part in the back 7.  Frazier is there, in part, for that reason.  If he’s gone guess what the next DC will most likely run.  

I don't think it's so much a change in philosophy but opponent specific and in game adjustments that just don't get made. You can't tell me that McD don't get mad and take over at times. He was chewing some DC ass and the TV showed showed it up close in Detroit.....unless McD has Turrets or something. This has been going on since we were getting slaughtered early on in Josh's rookie season. He should just take over the HC/DC role. I don't understand the marriage there. McD  is a way better DC than Frazier....in playcalling.

• Disagree 1

23 minutes ago, nosejob said:

It might help if you put playoff/ SB experience along with these. I think you screwed whatever point you were trying to make.

What may be hurting him is his previous gigs. Minnesota?...elsewhere?

No I disagree.  Lots of coaches have an unsuccessful first stint.  Plus he did make the playoffs with Christian Ponder.  It’s not like he squandered talent

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

People here are VASTLY overrating the 13 seconds thing when it comes to other teams' decision making.  There are exactly zero GMs who would go "Well this guy's perfect but he had that one choke job."

The reason he won't get hired is because he's in his 60's with a bad HC stint on his record and teams are going to be on the wunderkind young coach kick more than ever after the success McDaniel is having in Miami.

This

6 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I still have a strong distaste for Frazier due to the 13 seconds. I wouldn’t mind seeing him gone. Especially if the Bills pick up a pick in the process. I always feel like Frazier’s defenses are a paper Tiger. Ranked high but fold when it really matters. 

What will it take to earn his way back into your good graces, Mr Redemption?   😋

I don’t know everything that happened on the sidelines and field during the “13 seconds”, but I’m not going to let it eat at me. It happened, it was unfortunate and it’s over. The details will never be known, and that’s fine.

We have a very talented and successful defense. I don’t know how much to attribute to the DC, the HC or the investment in talents. ALL of those things are factors. His age and the fact that the league leans heavily towards offense probably hold him back. 

One price you pay for success is that other teams want to poach your players and coaches. It’s a good sign that this is a topic, IMO. It reflects well on what we have built. 

Edited by Augie

This is McD's defense, I don't know why people think we would change how we play all that much if Frazier left. Sure McD doesn't call the plays, but the system? That's who he is. It might also be who Frazier is, but either way, it's not one that typically dictates opponent play with pressure. It is more death by a thousand cuts to beat us. Which seems like a style more teams are flashing, especially vs better QB's. It seems to frustrate better QB's when they don't get the chunk plays (sound familiar?). Maybe our system is the best defensive system to play in today's NFL even if I really don't care for it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

This is McD's defense, I don't know why people think we would change how we play all that much if Frazier left. Sure McD doesn't call the plays, but the system? That's who he is. It might also be who Frazier is, but either way, it's not one that typically dictates opponent play with pressure. It is more death by a thousand cuts to beat us. Which seems like a style more teams are flashing, especially vs better QB's. It seems to frustrate better QB's when they don't get the chunk plays (sound familiar?). Maybe our system is the best defensive system to play in today's NFL even if I really don't care for it. 

It totally is. And most who don't like it don't like it for reasons of personal preference.

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Jobs likely to be open in order:

Texans (no doubter an OC is going here)

Colts

Broncos 

Cardinals (this one will be close)

Rams (McVay may walk away)

I think that might be it.  

If McVay walks away and the Bills don't win the super bowl this year, someone really needs to think about the potential of a McVay - Allen pairing. 

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

As he should. He's been great here, just terrific.

He'll be hard to replace. Not impossible, but he has been a terrific fit.

Good for him!!!!

EDIT: People think the 0:13 thing is going to hurt him? That's nuts. Being beaten by Mahomes playing at his absolute best isn't something teams blame defenses for, anymore than is being beaten by Allen. A player has already admitted the right call was made and he played the wrong spacing, creating the big play. Won't hurt Frazier at all. His age might.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, RiotAct said:

I feel like the Houston playoff  loss was more execution than coaching… TONS of missed tackles that game. 

We has a 16-0 lead midway thru that 3rd quarter and right on schedule our D got gassed and abused.  The one thing about the bend don't break defense.  As they're bending, they're tiring out.

2 hours ago, purple haze said:

Totally agree. As long as McD is in Buffalo, whoever his DC is will run the exact system he wants. I'm just hoping (maybe naively) that the new DC might be allowed to add a few new wrinkles. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I haven't read this whole thread but it has always bothered me that people think that just because someone is a good coordinator they would make a good head coach. The jobs and specific responsibilities are different and because someone is good at drawing up game plans and calling plays on game day it doesn't mean that they can lead a team and make decisions with the big picture in mind. 

4 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Yes, it's McD's defense.  And on one hand, any schematic contribution Frazier was going to make to this D, he's probably already made.  McD has learned everything he could learn from Frazier.  It might be interesting/beneficial to hire a new DC who will bring fresh ideas.  

On the other hand, it might be mostly McD's defense, but Frazier runs it on a daily basis.  He supervises the film study, the position group meetings, the scheme sessions, the walk-thrus and so on.  And he makes the calls on gameday.  By and large, by all accounts, he does those tasks well.  He's been a good right-hand man to McD.  

For his sake, I hope he gets a chance to be a HC again.  But I'm not sure that's the best scenario for our sake.   

Song consideration is what he gets every year, but that’s as far as it seems to go, maybe this time is the his moment, maybe not.

Bring back Schwartz

14 hours ago, Special K said:

If he does get one, the Bills get an extra 3rd round pick.

Edit: 2 3rd round picks!

Hope he goes then, we'll be just fine with McDermott

14 hours ago, Sgt. Ski said:

Hope we can get swartz back.

Much more aggressive and good against the run

Wide 9 is better for fast pass rushers as well

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We has a 16-0 lead midway thru that 3rd quarter and right on schedule our D got gassed and abused.  The one thing about the bend don't break defense.  As they're bending, they're tiring out.

And the offense threw up on itself and turned the ball over.

1 minute ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Yes, the offense did turn the ball over once in the 2nd half.

meanwhile, the defense allowed Watson to complete 80% of his passes that day.

You are not winning many road playoff games in this era with 19 points. That is the sad truth. The defense missed some chances to make plays that hurt, no question. But they were playing a top Quarterback on the road and gave up 22. I have a hard time pinning that loss on defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.