2020 Feeling More Like Major Missed Opportunity

corta765

Between the loss today, injuries, an improved division, and Josh looking a bit more mortal 2020 is really starting to feel like the big missed opportunity. Buffalo cruised through any major obstacle outside of the KC game and was incredibly healthy throughout. Josh had maybe one truly bad game otherwise he was superb and would’ve been MVP had Rodgers not been so good.

My feeling after today and how the season has gone is the team has far more obstacles then before with a greatly improved division that is no guarantee in the least. The AFC itself being not as strong helps for the playoffs, but unless Josh is playing almost perfect they are not the team we’ve thought unfortunately. Additionally McDermott needs some heat as the only year they have played well after the bye for a stretch of games was 2020. Last years struggles happened the same time, same as 2019 and 2017 (2018 was a waste in general). It’s tiring that the team itself looks so unprepared for a stretch of games after the bye when they should be rested and more focused. To me his hot seat is real if they can’t make it to the SB this year. I’d give him one last year and then change it if he can’t make it go.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Don't know if this has been brought up but last season when we lost to Jax, was also the first Sunday in November. 

If I'm Beane I'm asking the NFL schedule makers to give us a bye the weekend of Nov 5, 2023!

Remember The Jags!!!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Uh, Are you sure you’re not referring to 2021? The bills were not the better team in 2020, Kansas City was.

21 team wasn’t better then 20 they had a closer result. 20 team was a game away not two and the biggest failing result wise was Frazier weird decision to change their D that had worked earlier vs Mahomes and crew.

17 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Don't know if this has been brought up but last season when we lost to Jax, was also the first Sunday in November. 

If I'm Beane I'm asking the NFL schedule makers to give us a bye the weekend of Nov 5, 2023!

So think they need to cancel Halloween each year the team comes out cursed after Halloween. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

Between the loss today, injuries, an improved division, and Josh looking a bit more mortal 2020 is really starting to feel like the big missed opportunity. Buffalo cruised through any major obstacle outside of the KC game and was incredibly healthy throughout. Josh had maybe one truly bad game otherwise he was superb and would’ve been MVP had Rodgers not been so good.

My feeling after today and how the season has gone is the team has far more obstacles then before with a greatly improved division that is no guarantee in the least. The AFC itself being not as strong helps for the playoffs, but unless Josh is playing almost perfect they are not the team we’ve thought unfortunately. Additionally McDermott needs some heat as the only year they have played well after the bye for a stretch of games was 2020. Last years struggles happened the same time, same as 2019 and 2017 (2018 was a waste in general). It’s tiring that the team itself looks so unprepared for a stretch of games after the bye when they should be rested and more focused. To me his hot seat is real if they can’t make it to the SB this year. I’d give him one last year and then change it if he can’t make it go.

Aside from a phenomenal D , ya this O is quite concerning.  This is 6 straight quarters where they looked bad and it's a concerning trend 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Aside from a phenomenal D , ya this O is quite concerning.  This is 6 straight quarters where they looked bad and it's a concerning trend 

Phenomenal D? The game winning drive for the Jets started at the 4 and the Jets didn't attempt a pass until they were at the Buffalo 18 and only dropped back one time after that. This loss was a collective effort. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

Phenomenal D? The game winning drive for the Jets started at the 4 and the Jets didn't attempt a pass until they were at the Buffalo 18 and only dropped back one time after that. This loss was a collective effort. 

And the Jests got 3 points on that drive.

As a whole, giving up 20 points with multiple starters out is a win to me.. 

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

They blew it last year. Everyone knows it, some accept it.

Yup, they were cruising on O like no other and the D was relatively healthy (except Tre).  The Bills were the best team in the NFL last season, but the 13 seconds destroyed it.

6 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

As a whole sure - and I agree that the injuries finally caught up to us. 

Excusing the game winning drive doesn't work for me - that is not phenomenal D in any way shape or form.

QBs are terrible this year. I'm not seeing anything out of Herbert or Burrow for example that we saw last year. Herbert especially has not taken the dominant step forward that everybody was calling for. Who knows what is going on with Rodgers. Mahomes is doing his thing but doesn't look like the wizard of two years ago. David Carr disappears 3 out of 4 games. Hurts and maybe Lawrence are the only two real talents emerging. My point is that it actually seems quite a bit easier overall this year, so I completely disagree for the sad QB play alone.

If Mahomes, Herbert, and a couple others were in some rare air tossing ridiculous games while Allen was bumbling, then I'd possibly agree, but everything is still up for the taking considering the lack of dominant QB play. 

Tua on second thought is probably the only one that's really surprising, but he's a hit away from being destroyed every single game.

Edited by Nelius

2020 wasn't the year, as others have mentioned.  That was the "taking our lumps in the playoffs" year against the conference bully.  KC was better and more prepared and experienced.

2021 was the year.  We had taken our lumps already the previous year, played a great game against the bully and was about to know them out.  Then our coaches screwed up 13 seconds.

It's odd. I definitely think the 2020 Bills were better than the 2021 Bills. The way games were being officiated in empty stadiums that year meant that we could more easily cover up our Oline frailties. But the 2020 team was less ready to go toe to toe with Kansas City. The 2021 team, while overall I think weaker because the oline was exposed was more equipped to take on the Chiefs...

Equally the 2020 Bills v Tampa in a Superbowl would still have been a tough out. The 2021 Bills would have been favoured against LA. 

I think the 2022 team is better than the 2021 team. But they have been hit with the injury bug on defense and yesterday Josh inexplicably melted down.

6 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

The quote of the 2022 Buffalo Bills, with multiple starters out.   It has devastated this team this year.  Each week injury report has been brutal since week 3.  Just like last year with 1 starter in Tre out, I think the outcome of the Chiefs game would have been different.  We already have multiple out for the year and plenty starters out every week this year

Edited by Gunsgoodtime

11 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Exactly. Also in todays NFL holding a team to 20 or less should mean you are winning the vast majority of the time. The Bills D was by no means perfect but they played well enough for a win.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Einstein said:

I felt we were closer in 2021 than 2020. I know we were not in the literal sense, but better team and only the Bengals in front of us had we beat KC.

I don't understand how people can keep saying we were closer in 21. They lost in the AFC semis not the title game and other then the Bills defense were worse statistically in everything. There is this weird thought that the Bills were the guaranteed SB champs last year if they beat KC, completely ignoring they did lose to KC but somehow would've just beat the next two teams without issue or opposition. 

2020 was the breakout year and yes KC was better, but Buffalo had a 9-0 lead and multiple chances to take that game. Until the Bills get that close again or further to the SB that to mean is the mark they are chasing and everything else is lesser.

I've thought a lot about this as well and tend to agree if anything because I think McD reached his ceiling then in terms of how far he'll ever take this team.

And still think the idea that the Bills would have won it all last year if not for the 13 second debacle is just a red herring. They just weren't as good a team last year and if anything played above their heads and talent level in the playoffs to begin with.

27 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I've thought a lot about this as well and tend to agree if anything because I think McD reached his ceiling then in terms of how far he'll ever take this team.

And still think the idea that the Bills would have won it all last year if not for the 13 second debacle is just a red herring. They just weren't as good a team last year and if anything played above their heads and talent level in the playoffs to begin with.

He is in his 6th season and I tend to agree his ceiling is what we have seen the last four years which can be as high as 2020 with a little luck and a QB being perfect to 2019 where they are weaker on offense but the defense keeps them alive. At some point breakthrough is going to have to happen and with the division improving that will be only tougher. You only move on if you do think you have a coach who can be equal or better, but it is truly concerning that the team consistently has a mid season let down like this and when the margin for being the best team is razor thin. Lots of season to play and they do control their own destiny, but this is not the first time this has happened either. The question no longer is whether they can compete with the best, but whether the consistency is there for the long term.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, corta765 said:

A missed opportunity, yes. 2021 more than 2020, IMO.

A hot seat? Good grief, no. Not unless the locker room falls apart or something.

16 hours ago, Beast said:

I’m still salty about 1980. Is that OK to talk about?

Oh, God, yes!!!

"Wrote Paul Zimmerman in Sports Illustrated's 1981 NFL preview, 'If Charley Romes intercepts the pass that bounces off his chest in the last few minutes of the playoff game against San Diego, then the Chargers don't score on the next play, and win the game. And Buffalo gets to play Oakland at home – where the Bills crushed the Raiders earlier in the season. And Buffalo's in the Super Bowl.'"

From Wiki, but I remember him writing this and I so agreed. 

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.