Hilarious SNL skit about Jets/Bills game.

Bubba Gump

11 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

It's just not funny at all though. 

Totally funny... Because that's how suburban parents act.  Jets is a suburban base. One of the few franchises without a majority of their fans in any county in the US. 

The skit goes deeper. It's an indictment on our society just done in a deep jocular way. Even the establishment. Cop gets into it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

Totally funny... Because that's how suburban parents act.  Jets is a suburban base. One of the few franchises without a majority of their fans in any county in the US. 

The skit goes deeper. It's an indictment on our society just done in a deep jocular way. Even the establishment. Cop gets into it. 

I understand what it's doing. It's just in no way funny. I'll try again later once Ive had a few Blues and a joint or two. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Diversity in humor is probably a good thing. This skit? As others have said, it was mildly amusing for me at first but it never took the next step.

On the other hand, despite all the hate for Schumer, I find her raunch often funny. Last night’s opening monologue was the first time I laughed out loud watching SNL in a long time.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I understand what it's doing. It's just in no way funny. I'll try again later once Ive had a few Blues and a joint or two. 

You can laugh at serious things. Laughing isn't a one-way street. 

3 minutes ago, slipkid said:

Diversity in humor is probably a good thing. This skit? As others have said, it was mildly amusing for me at first but it never took the next step.

On the other hand, despite all the hate for Schumer, I find her raunch often funny. Last night’s opening monologue was the first time I laughed out loud watching SNL in a long time.

The husband, Asperger's - ADHD Kanye, windows up in the car thing was spot on!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You can laugh at serious things. Laughing isn't a one-way street. 

The issue is there needs to be something funny. The only thing to laugh at is how unfunny their jokes are on a comedy show. The covid one was terrible as well

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Not at the table Karlos said:

The issue is there needs to be something funny. The only thing to laugh at is how unfunny their jokes are on a comedy show. The covid one was terrible as well

Most serious issues are always funny.

It's funny because it's not light.  Humor is not always light. 

It worked because you're fighting it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

That's GREAT!  

"It was like a had a bad cold for 3 days."

[group of listening office workers]:  "oooohhhhh."

Very well done!

I'm sure the fun group in this thread will piss all over this too.

This was FAR BETTER than the Jets skit. 

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

I’m fascinated by the development of skits like this. On paper, as only a script, how would this look funny? 
The actors brought it to life, but even then, not remotely funny (to me). 
Jet fans yelling at Bills fans. Repeated 5 or 6 times. Even the same stupid insults were repeated. Yeah, hilarious😏

Slight amusement from the unintended irony of comic pig Amy Schumer calling a woman ‘slut’. 

I get it, small talk about recipes and kids, then a switch flips into angry fan mode.  Great.  The first time I got it.... then it just became predictable and repetitive.   

It needed more/something to flip it on its head.  They tried it with the "game is almost over" thing but it didn't work for me.

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I get it, small talk about recipes and kids, then a switch flips into angry fan mode.  Great.  The first time I got it.... then it just became predictable and repetitive.   

It needed more/something to flip it on its head.  They tried it with the "game is almost over" thing but it didn't work for me.

You’re exactly right about the intended setup. But it’s like one of those looong jokes somebody tells you that leads to a stupid punchline that’s only worthy of a groan.  There’s not enough time in a five minute skit to get involved and have empathy with those nameless characters, so again, the redundant insults were just pointless. 

5 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

The delivery of the insults was off. They didn't land for whatever reason. 

Switching back to nice talk and then angry again was alright in theory, but maybe the problem was they needed funnier actors. 

I also think that it makes Bills fans look like schmucks to the national public. A funnier skit would have been a fanbase having a lame, boring tailgate and then Bills Mafia shows up and turns it upside down. That would've been a great introduction to Bills Mafia for America and been a lot more memorable and talked about. 

Instead it was just so weak and lame. Forced laughter. The only humor came when they showed the Bills fans they were yelling out being kids or pregnant women. And even then a snicker. 

6 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Been there at least 8 times, not that far off

One Bills-Jets game I worked until midnight a chefs job in Connecticut, I put on Bills gear, and went straight to New Haven train station, hour drive.  I took the 3 am train to NYC, got to Penn Station around 4 am(what a sight that was- junkies and hookers just waking up, all over the train station early Sunday am).  I was up all night, and took some connecting train and bus, I got down to Bills parking lot at new, and not improved, Meadowlands- and went straight to find Pinto Kenny.  Kenny says

"who are you here with?" 

"Ive come alone" 

"Welcome Home". 

Kenny is a Bills treasure!

Anyhoo- I partied awhile in parking lot, went in, Bills were trouncing Jets.  It was in the second half, Bills blowout, I was exhausted, and wanted to get home and get some sleep.  As Im walking though stupid, long, exit corridor, Sammy Watkins scores long TD.  There are lots of Bills fans exiting that are cheering Sammy TD.  Im walking out, see Sammy TD, and I cheer loudly.  Some meathead Jets fan came running up to me.  Some jackass Jets fan wanted to fight me because I cheered for the Bills.  His girlfriend pulled him away and said "its not worth it.  Lets go".

I know a few good Jets fans, but Ive seen a lot more punk Jets fans.

The past 20 years, the Jets have plenty of dirtry cheap shots against Bills players

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

That's GREAT!  

"It was like a had a bad cold for 3 days."

[group of listening office workers]:  "oooohhhhh."

Very well done!

I'm sure the fun group in this thread will piss all over this too.

That was way better than the Jets bit I laughed. The Quanon Shaman reference was clever. 

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

One Bills-Jets game I worked until midnight a chefs job in Connecticut, I put on Bills gear, and went straight to New Haven train station, hour drive.  I took the 3 am train to NYC, got to Penn Station around 4 am(what a sight that was- junkies and hookers just waking up, all over the train station early Sunday am).  I was up all night, and took some connecting train and bus, I got down to Bills parking lot at new, and not improved, Meadowlands- and went straight to find Pinto Kenny.  Kenny says

"who are you here with?" 

"Ive come alone" 

"Welcome Home". 

Kenny is a Bills treasure!

Anyhoo- I partied awhile in parking lot, went in, Bills were trouncing Jets.  It was in the second half, Bills blowout, I was exhausted, and wanted to get home and get some sleep.  As Im walking though stupid, long, exit corridor, Sammy Watkins scores long TD.  There are lots of Bills fans exiting that are cheering Sammy TD.  Im walking out, see Sammy TD, and I cheer loudly.  Some meathead Jets fan came running up to me.  Some jackass Jets fan wanted to fight me because I cheered for the Bills.  His girlfriend pulled him away and said "its not worth it.  Lets go".

I know a few good Jets fans, but Ive seen a lot more punk Jets fans.

The past 20 years, the Jets have plenty of dirtry cheap shots against Bills players

They have some pretty good fans but they are offended that you have the nerve to wear a Bills jersey in their stadium. Philly is the same way

The penchant for people to have such visceral reactions to comedy if it doesn’t grab them is interesting. You don’t get that with drama, action or other genres.

This was a silly skit. Not great. Not awful. Average. That’s it.

if you dissect More Cowbell, Jane You Ignorant Slut, Isn’t That Special, David S Pumpkins to death you can find them pretty unfunny pretty fast.

3 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

They have some pretty good fans but they are offended that you have the nerve to wear a Bills jersey in their stadium. Philly is the same way

on bus ride to or from parking lot(I forget)-  the bus ride itself very memorable.  It was probably 55% Bills fans, 45% Jets fans.  They tried starting stupid J-E -T-S chant, we loudly sang Shout song, drowning out Jets fans.  I was ad libbing lines

"Only one team plays in New York"

"The Jets play in Giants stadium"

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

The penchant for people to have such visceral reactions to comedy if it doesn’t grab them is interesting. You don’t get that with drama, action or other genres.

This was a silly skit. Not great. Not awful. Average. That’s it.

if you dissect More Cowbell, Jane You Ignorant Slut, Isn’t That Special, David S Pumpkins to death you can find them pretty unfunny pretty fast.

When it first aired, I had to check out the pumpkin one that many found hilarious. 
For me, it was nothing but stupid. Yet, a lot of people raved about it. 
Different strokes for different folks. 
There used to be a blubbery fat guy in the end zone seats at Falcons games who did the stirring the pot dance and other gyrations when they scored, and he was put on camera for everyone to laugh about. Huh!? How is that funny? 
But somehow, it was repeated for years for everyone’s amusement. 
The poor guy has either successfully lost weight or has type 2 diabetes and a heart condition, or (hopefully not) succumbed to the effects of gross obesity. 
Regardless, the humor mocking him escapes me….as does 95% of anything SNL has put on in decades. 

Just now, SoMAn said:

When it first aired, I had to check out the pumpkin one that many found hilarious. 
For me, it was nothing but stupid. Yet, a lot of people raved about it. 
Different strokes for different folks. 
There used to be a blubbery fat guy in the end zone seats at Falcons games who did the stirring the pot dance and other gyrations when they scored, and he was put on camera for everyone to laugh about. Huh!? How is that funny? 
But somehow, it was repeated for years for everyone’s amusement. 
The poor guy has either successfully lost weight or has type 2 diabetes and a heart condition, or (hopefully not) succumbed to the effects of gross obesity. 
Regardless, the humor mocking him escapes me….as does 95% of anything SNL has put on in decades. 

David Pumpkins is a national treasure

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

one year hubby and I wore Bills jersey to the LA Coliseum to watch a Bills-Raiders game. We called for tickets and asked to be in the same section as the away visiting team Bills fans.  They put us in the same section alright. Except the Bills fans were in the nosebleeds hubby and I smack dab in the middle of Raider season ticket holders close to the field.  A few tried to provoke us. They silly stringed us, lots of glares and a few comments. I flashed this one guy a peace sign and then they calmed down  Once they realized we were there to just watch football and not be a-holes they warmed up to us and we had an absolute blast. There was this guy with a plastic shot glass on a necklace and we shared shots lol Oh My. Fun memory. Bills won in OT. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Another funny one from last night.  Maybe this has a "world appeal:"

Watch it sometimes while prepping Sunday breakfast.

The covid one was the funny skit of the show. A lot of meh and worn out Schumer trying to Elicit “I can’t believe she said that thing laughter…” in between. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.