[Name Only Title] Antonio Gibson

gonzo1105

I almost hate starting a topic about another Running back after the McCaffery ones and I'm not even sure the Bills are in the market for one but it appears that Antonio Gibson is getting benched for Rookie RB Brian Robinson. They also signed J.D. McKissick to be their 3rd down back after he reneged on signing with the Bills this offseason.

He is only 24, he is under contract through next season. Has starting experience, is explosive, and can catch the ball. I think this is a guy I would make a play on for a mid round pick. His contract is super cheap as well and protects the Bills against Devin Singletary's impending Free Agency next year. 

Somehow it appears he has ended up in the Washington doghouse and him splitting reps with Singletary this year and then Cook next year would be pretty ideal in my mind. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Dislike 3

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

No way we trade with WAS after the McKissic debacle.

This is a logical take in my opinion. Forgot about that side of things when I created the thread. 

For the people who are hating the idea, he had 4.7 yards on average as a rookie, 4.0 in his second year, and has essentially been benched in his 3rd year. Anyone ever consider that Washington has one of the worst cultures, offenses, a HC who doesn't know offense etc and that a guy might be checked out and would flourish in the Bills faster uptempo, culture built team. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

I don't really see him as being a huge upgrade. We already have Singletary who is similar. Why are we trading an asset for a guy who is going to give us what we already have?

If you are making a trade it has to be for someone who is far better than what you have and who will put you over the top.

Gibson isn't even close to that. What RB gets benched for a rookie if he is that kinda player?

Edited by Big Turk

Just now, Big Turk said:

I don't really see him as being a huge upgrade. We already have Singletary who is similar. Why are we trading an asset for a guy who is going to give us what we already have.

Its not about upgrading Singletary. Its about upgrading whats behind him and protecting your Running Back room for next year. I'm not asking for him to come in and be the lead back. He's way better than Moss and he's better than James Cook right now. It allows Cook to do what he does best, catch passes. Singletary and Gibson split the carries. 

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Its not about upgrading Singletary. Its about upgrading whats behind him and protecting your Running Back room for next year. I'm not asking for him to come in and be the lead back. He's way better than Moss and he's better than James Cook right now. It allows Cook to do what he does best, catch passes. Singletary and Gibson split the carries. 

Dude, they don't run the ball much as it is, so there aren't even carries to split. I mean what, he gets 5 carries a game? 

No thanks. Any RB trade they would make would have to be for a game changer type player for it to be worth it.

Edited by Big Turk

17 minutes ago, 947 said:

That's the kind of RB trade I can see happening. We're not trading a 1st rounder for anybody, but Gibson could probably be had for a 3rd or 4th.

If you’re gonna do that, might as well just save the 3rd or 4th round pick and draft a RB with it.  That’s a hella high pick for a 2/3rd running back.  I mean, Pacheco was drafted in the 7th.   Absolutely no reason to trade for a guy like this with that high of a draft pick. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

He doesn't put our team over the top like McCaffrey can. It would be like a lateral move. No thanks

You’re saying he’s as good as Zack moss?

It’s a much different move than a mccaffery move.  In this case, he would compliment Motor.  He would add speed that Moss doesn’t have. And power that cook doesn’t have.  He would be rb1b to motors rb1a.  It may not put us over the top like mcaffery, but it could put us over the top.  Does it really matter by how much?  The price will be much lower as well and he’s still playing under his rookie contract next season.  You’re comparing apple to oranges even though they play the same position. 

Edited by NewEra

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If you’re replacing Maas with him it’s definitely not a lateral move

Thank you. In two season before this one, Gibson has had 1,832 rushing yards, 541 Receiving yards and 21 TDs in 2 seasons averaging 4.35 yards a carry. 

Washington is a disaster, Rivers just called out Wentz in a presser, Snyder is the worst owner in sports. I’m advocating for him as a complimentary piece to Singletary 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think the Bills are concerned about picking up a RB at this time. Between Daboll & now Dorsey, since the start of the 2020 season, they really don't seem to care about establishing a run game. I thought that might change with Dorsey calling the plays now, but it hasn't.

Plain and simple I think they both haven't wanted to take the ball out of hands of the best and most dangerous player in the league too much.

They average about 4.7 yards per carry between the 3 RBs. They're not electing to run because they haven't been getting yards, but Josh's averages for both rushing and passing attempts is quite a bit better than the RBs 4.7 yards per play.

1 hour ago, 947 said:

That's the kind of RB trade I can see happening. We're not trading a 1st rounder for anybody, but Gibson could probably be had for a 3rd or 4th.

He was a 3rd round pick that is being benched.  No way do I give up a 3rd or even a 4th.

I doubt the Bills deal with Washington, but if they want to make amends - Gibson and 7th for Moss and a 6th.

If they only want a pick - I still go no higher than a 6th.  If He was staying as Washington’s starter - he might be worth a touch more, but if they consider him a back-up and he was a third rounder - he has dropped significantly in value toward the 6th/7th range.

McCaffrey is worth a 3rd maybe a 2nd - Gibson no way.

This board hates every NFL running back...

To slow

To old

Injury prone

If he is available,  he must suck

Fumbles

No vision

Doesn't fit McDs profile 

To short

To tall

To thin

To fat

To many tattoos 

No power

Not a team player

To expensive 

Ugly wife

Hands are to small

Cocky

Not cocky enough 

Can't find hole

He is a bad driver, wrecks cars

So pass pass pass

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He isn't a very good RB.  He wasn't a RB, he converted to RB and has not demonstrated the instincts and pass blocking necessary to be leaned on as an every down RB.  He has wheels, but that doesn't do you a lot of good if you don't have the vision and instincts to consistently find the lanes.  

Devin is literally a better RB by every measurable metric outside of top end speed.  And we have James Cook already who adds speed and receiving ability, which are the best assets of Gibson.  

So, nah...I would rather keep our draft picks and go with the better RB in Devin and let Cook develop more and fill any role Gibson would bring.  

12 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

This board hates every NFL running back...

To slow

To old

Injury prone

If he is available,  he must suck

Fumbles

No vision

To short

To tall

No power

Not a team player

To expensive 

Ugly wife

Hands are to small

Cocky

Not cocky enough 

Can't find hole

So pass pass pass

No this board just hates Devin who they claim is too slow because they over value 40 times in shorts and have no idea how little that plays into a RB's ability to produce on the field.  Meanwhile, Devin averages 4.7 YPC for his career (because he has great acceleration and change of direction speed and agility), but they want to trade for a "faster" guy who plays behind a better run blocking OL that is averaging 3.2 YPC and getting benched for a rookie who was shot in the leg 7 weeks ago and hasn't even gotten a chance to really play or get his feet back.  

The amount of disrespect people give to Devin, who just keeps producing when he is given chances too, is stunning.  I mean when they finally committed to Devin and the run game last year, his production in those 7 games would have amounted to 1400 yards and 17 TD's over a full season.  

But you can't run the ball if you don't call run plays.  And we just aren't calling many run plays (again) because the passing offense is dominating to where we are the highest scoring team in the league and had to sit our starters multiple times for an entire quarter due to blow out wins.  

CMC...Barkley...those guys are definitive upgrades.  They are elite RB's...so they at least make sense in people desiring them because they are elite players.  But Gibson?  This dude can't hold onto his job, is terrible in pass protection, and didn't start playing RB until he got to the NFL where he had some mild success as a rookie but not done a lot since.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I don't think the Bills are concerned about picking up a RB at this time. Between Daboll & now Dorsey, since the start of the 2020 season, they really don't seem to care about establishing a run game. I thought that might change with Dorsey calling the plays now, but it hasn't.

Plain and simple I think they both haven't wanted to take the ball out of hands of the best and most dangerous player in the league too much.

They average about 4.7 yards per carry between the 3 RBs. They're not electing to run because they haven't been getting yards, but Josh's averages for both rushing and passing attempts is quite a bit better than the RBs 4.7 yards per play.

But Singletary has the 2nd most catches on the team. The RB room as a whole has gotten plenty of opportunities in the passing game.

I'm not desperate for the Bills to get a new RB, but imagine those catches going to an elite playmaker. There's definitely a case to be made for upgrading the position, but it's more about the passing game. Naysayers keep focusing on the run game.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

If you’re replacing Maas with him it’s definitely not a lateral move

Moss yes, but is Gibson really any better than Singletary? 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

You’re saying he’s as good as Zack moss?

It’s a much different move than a mccaffery move.  In this case, he would compliment Motor.  He would add speed that Moss doesn’t have. And power that cook doesn’t have.  He would be rb1b to motors rb1a.  It may not put us over the top like mcaffery, but it could put us over the top.  Does it really matter by how much?  The price will be much lower as well and he’s still playing under his rookie contract next season.  You’re comparing apple to oranges even though they play the same position. 

I'm saying he's no better than Singletary. I feel like if we are gonna trade for a running back, it only makes sense to go for one that is clearly better than Singletary otherwise there is no need. It doesn't make sense to trade for a RB that doesn't offer much more than our current #1 RB

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

Thank you. In two season before this one, Gibson has had 1,832 rushing yards, 541 Receiving yards and 21 TDs in 2 seasons averaging 4.35 yards a carry. 

Washington is a disaster, Rivers just called out Wentz in a presser, Snyder is the worst owner in sports. I’m advocating for him as a complimentary piece to Singletary 

I wasn't referring to Moss

14 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Moss yes, but is Gibson really any better than Singletary? 

I'm saying he's no better than Singletary. I feel like if we are gonna trade for a running back, it only makes sense to go for one that is clearly better than Singletary otherwise there is no need. It doesn't make sense to trade for a RB that doesn't offer much more than our current #1 RB

I wasn't referring to Moss

He offers more than another rotational rb that gets playing time…. So it’s not lateral.  It’s an upgrade 

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He offers more than another rotational rb that gets playing time…. So it’s not lateral.  It’s an upgrade 

Gibson isn't better than Devin in any facet of running the ball outside of 40 yard dash race.  Devin plays faster, has better vision, better at breaking tackles, better agility, better acceleration, better at pass protection, and hits the hole faster.  I don't even know if one can say Gibson is a better receiver anymore given Devins high catch rate.  That is one thing no one gives Devin any credit on, how much he has improved as a pass catcher.  

Now Moss...I would take Gibson over Moss any day of the week.  Because they both lack vision, but at least Gibson can be dangerous if he gets lucky and finds a lane.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Gibson isn't better than Devin in any facet of running the ball outside of 40 yard dash race.  Devin plays faster, has better vision, better at breaking tackles, better agility, better acceleration, better at pass protection, and hits the hole faster.  I don't even know if one can say Gibson is a better receiver anymore given Devins high catch rate.  That is one thing no one gives Devin any credit on, how much he has improved as a pass catcher.  

Now Moss...I would take Gibson over Moss any day of the week.  Because they both lack vision, but at least Gibson can be dangerous if he gets lucky and finds a lane.  

Who said he’s better than motor?  I said Moss

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.