PFT: Can the Bills thrive under the weight of high expectations?

YoloinOhio

From 1990 through 1993, the Buffalo Bills made it to the Super Bowl every single year. It’s one of the most underappreciated accomplishments in league history. The 2020 and 2021 Bills did not get there. And yet it feels like the current Bills have the exact same pressure and expectations to win the Super Bowl in 2022 as the Bills of 30 years ago ever did.

It’s strange, for a variety of reasons. The AFC currently has 13 legitimate contenders — maybe 14 if the Jaguars turn things around suddenly under the guidance of Super Bowl-winning coach Doug Pederson. And somehow the Bills have emerged from that morass of quality franchises as the favorites to get to the Super Bowl and win it.

Pressure...sure. Extreme pressure? Idk about that. The team has put this pressure on themselves since 2020. I don't think media expectations this offseason have changed it for them. It's somewhat changed perception for the fans, but not for the team.

I think being in a crowded AFC could ultimately help the Bills because the other divisions are tough, but the Bills's division is relatively week. The AFCS, AFCW, and AFCN are going to beat up on each other, while the Bills will arguably have the easiest time winning their division and hopefully getting homefield advantage for the playoffs.

• Agree 1

Part of this “favorite” to win is based on the AFC West being a circular firing squad.

And, as in the good old 90’s era, the East is weak which gives us a chance at 6 EASIER( not easy) wins.

I feel the coach and coordinators are under more pressure than the players. We can’t have another inexplicable melt down when we are knocking on the SB door.
   Josh and the O demonstrated IN ALL CAPS that no situation is too big for them in last years playoffs. Let’s see if Frazier and the rebuilt D line can can also reach this pinnacle.

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

All I know is that at this time 6 days from now, this board will either be in "17-0 we going all the way" mode or "9-8 we suck arse” mode. There is no middle ground. 

That's usually when the rational thinkers come on either still drunk or hungover as hell. 

17 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Pressure...sure. Extreme pressure? Idk about that. The team has put this pressure on themselves since 2020. I don't think media expectations this offseason have changed it for them. It's somewhat changed perception for the fans, but not for the team.

I think being in a crowded AFC could ultimately help the Bills because the other divisions are tough, but the Bills's division is relatively week. The AFCS, AFCW, and AFCN are going to beat up on each other, while the Bills will arguably have the easiest time winning their division and hopefully getting homefield advantage for the playoffs.

Agreed the Goat of the TBD, and I’ll add schedule we play will be tougher than last year, but we are better (I think) than last year’s team so we’ll be battle hardened by the playoffs.  I think whoever represents the AFC Will win the SB.  Almost all the stud QB’s are in the AFC except Rodgers ( Mr. Paper Tiger as he caves like a house of cards in the playoffs), and Brady who has lost a great deal in his O Line.

The AFC will win the SB which will come close tieing up again the history of SB wins.

NFC = 29

AFC =  27

Lets hope next year the Bills will tie it up with back to back wins!  The Mafia deserves it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

All I know is that at this time 6 days from now, this board will either be in "17-0 we going all the way" mode or "9-8 we suck arse” mode. There is no middle ground. 

I think the rams are going to come out extremely hard and hit Buffalo with everything they have right from the kickoff. You know they have the latest line posted on their bulletin board about how where the favs. in their building in week one (no respect.)

I think the Bills have to hold on early and then they’ll be OK.

On the other hand, the Bills have been chomping at the bit quite a bit themselves. They are dying to play someone else and the rams have many questionable points on both sides of the ball…. The Rams OL has two new starters, both should be downgrades.

They’ll be playing a newer secondary just like us and they are missing last year’s NT and pass rusher Von Miller.

I’m sorry but I don’t see it. The pressure on the Bills won’t start to hit until the playoffs, and possibly even the second round for that matter. If they somehow fail to make the playoffs it won’t be pressure, it’ll be because of either serious injuries, or a complete collapse…the latter of which I really can’t see.

This part:

As he enters his sixth season as head coach of the team, McDermott has to be feeling that pressure. He has to be wondering whether someone higher in the organization than him will wonder whether McDermott has taken the franchise as far as he can, if the can’t take them to the Super Bowl this year.

21 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m sorry but I don’t see it. The pressure on the Bills won’t start to hit until the playoffs, and possibly even the second round for that matter. If they somehow fail to make the playoffs it won’t be pressure, it’ll be because of either serious injuries, or a complete collapse…the latter of which I really can’t see.

I agree with this. This isn’t college where 1 loss can put you out of the playoffs. The regular season will be a journey toward putting themselves in the absolute best position to win in the playoffs. Technically week 1 is one of the least significant games on the schedule toward that end. Tennessee, Miami, Baltimore, Cincy… obviously chiefs. Those are the games they need. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This part:

As he enters his sixth season as head coach of the team, McDermott has to be feeling that pressure. He has to be wondering whether someone higher in the organization than him will wonder whether McDermott has taken the franchise as far as he can, if the can’t take them to the Super Bowl this year.

Agree.  He and Beane have already been extended.  Terry and Kim have had their struggles getting their organizational parts right, but they haven't suffered long when things weren't right and moved to pull the plug even with big money still committed, ex. Rex and Ralph Krueger.  When they do get it right, they move to lock it in.  PFT seems to not recognize this.  They think they have it right.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, billybrew1 said:

I think the rams are going to come out extremely hard and hit Buffalo with everything they have right from the kickoff. You know they have the latest line posted on their bulletin board about how where the favs. in their building in week one (no respect.)

I don't really think a super bowl winning team puts much weight into that. Can't see that getting them all that fired up. At least no where near as fired up as a team that feels like they got screwed out of playing in the Super Bowl and possibly winning it all themselves. Plus, JA tends to be a beast on the road. 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

In a lot of ways this season isn't about making the playoffs. It's about getting that #1 seed. They were the favorite to get the #1 seed last year, not to start the season but I think after about week 5 or 6 they were the clear favorites. Even after losing to the Titans on MNF things were extremely favorable for the Bills and looked to set up nicely for the #1 seed down the stretch. Things unraveled in the middle of the season and they had to play on the road in the divisional round. The Bills are undefeated under McDermott in the post season at 3-0. But they are 0-4 on the road in the playoffs during his tenure.  

They need that #1 seed not just for homefield but to also avoid having to play potentially the #2 or #3 seed in the divisional round. Get the one seed and play the lowest possible seed in that divisional round. That doesn't always work out I know (Ravens 2019 and Titans 2021) but odds are at least better historically.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

They make a few very good points.  It’s time to move on from the 13 second debacle but what a waste that was.  There is also an element of luck involved in the situation because of the injury factor in the NFL.  Can the Bills keep key players healthy for this full season?  Only time will tell. The Bills have the talent to win it all.  I agree with the article that coaching and game management may be the Bills most glaring weakness,

• Like (+1) 2

Isn’t every contender as well ?

Sure the Bills have the specter of KC to shake in the playoffs. 

Joe Cool Burrow has to prove he’s not a 1 year wonder. 

Mahomes has to prove he IS better than JA w/o his former #1 WR. 

Herbert and the Chargers? 
When will he end the latest playoffs W drought? 

Are the Raiders real or frauds?

Lamar.  😝 

I think Josh, and the team in general, learned last year that you can never take your foot off the gas pedal (as happened last season in the Jaguars game). Proper preparation and coaching will make sure they play each game one game at a time. It goes without saying that the cumulative season will be a measure of that success. I am an eternal optomist when it comes to the Bills, but if we stay healthy I could see them setting records offensively. Go Bills!!

Listening to player interviews, I think they're handing the expectations well: focus on the grind, one game at a time, etc.

I worry more about other things: our cornerback situation while Tre is out, the development of Boogie and Groot, the depth on our offensive line, will even the starting OL be good enough?  

The Lombardi isn't being handed to us.  I expect challenges we'll need to meet.  

• Like (+1) 2

Can they?  
frankly I was shocked 😳 reading this > 

https://www.nfl.com/news/super-bowl-lvii-predictions-bills-vs-buccaneers-in-arizona

Super Bowl LVII predictions: Bills and Buccaneers to face off for the Lombardi Trophy in Arizona?

12 experts 

12 Bills victories.  

• Like (+1) 1

My biggest concern is the media. As teams reach this type of level of attention, the attention-seekers and power-hungry come out of the woodwork. 

That's when you get Jay Skurskis trying to get the front office fired even after they did the right thing. Now imagine ESPN and SI carrying that torch over some soundbite a random player or coach said. 

Allen is sort of a household name right now, but once he reaches Mahomes/Manning/Brady levels of fame, he enters into weirdo world. TMZ everywhere, celebrities hanging around, off the field distractions to the max. When Nike starts paying you as much as the Bills do, strange conflicts of interest start to appear. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

For me, 6 days from now I'll be saying 17-0 or 16-1. Then, 11 days after that I'll be saying 17-0 or 15-2. 6 days after that I'll be saying 17-0 or 16-1 or 15-2, or ...... Well, you get the point

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The AFC currently has 13 legitimate contenders — maybe 14 if the Jaguars turn things around suddenly under the guidance of Super Bowl-winning coach Doug Pederson.

I'm sorry what, did they really try and just slide in maybe the Jaguars will be Super Bowl Contenders like that was something sane people would think?

Edited by Warcodered
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

except in mupville hermano....steady as she goes...........tck!~!~

m

6 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The Patriots, Dolphins, and Browns cannot make the Super Bowl. Mike Florio is kidding himself with that.

Maybe but Florio also makes the point that if you disagree, consider last year's Cincinnati Bengals. The Bengals were 4-11-1 in 2020. They were in the Super Bowl the next year.

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I actually think the real pressure will come NEXT season if the Bills don’t make it to the SB this year and fans start to realize the true lost opportunity of “13 seconds” - hopefully we never get there.

Rightly or wrongly, 13 seconds will become a part of a narrative... either that it was the continuation of a pattern of deep playoff failure or that it was a turning point, a necessary setback which the team turned into a springboard for Super Bowl appearances. That narrative pivots on this season.

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

This part:

I agree with the first sentence but disagree with the second one.

The 13 seconds debacle is definitely on the shoulders of McDermott (and to a LESSER degree, Frazier and Farwell).

However McDermott is very safe IMO. I don't see the Pegulas ditching a coach who has brought the team so much success. It would take a few more flameouts for him to be on the hot seat IMO.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

So you want everyone to be like Sal? Just parrot whatever McBeane says as right and support the team while shouting down fans? 

Yes, yes I do! 😂

• Haha (+1) 2

Sure, the Bills have expectations.  I do think last regular season was a lesson for them not taking each game as serious as they

should have.

This year it's this.

Win the Division with as many wins as possible.  They all mean something when it comes to home field throughout the playoffs.

The whole team knows this.  It's up to McDermott, Josh and Von to keep them focused.

2 home wins and you're in.

Then its winner takes all.

They got a good shot, but it's still a long tough journey.

23 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Maybe but Florio also makes the point that if you disagree, consider last year's Cincinnati Bengals. The Bengals were 4-11-1 in 2020. They were in the Super Bowl the next year.

Rightly or wrongly, 13 seconds will become a part of a narrative... either that it was the continuation of a pattern of deep playoff failure or that it was a turning point, a necessary setback which the team turned into a springboard for Super Bowl appearances. That narrative pivots on this season.

I agree with the first sentence but disagree with the second one.

The 13 seconds debacle is definitely on the shoulders of McDermott (and to a LESSER degree, Frazier and Farwell).

However McDermott is very safe IMO. I don't see the Pegulas ditching a coach who has brought the team so much success. It would take a few more flameouts for him to be on the hot seat IMO.

I see "13 seconds" as a compounding failure. 

1. Farewell/Bass didn't get the memo to keep it in play (no time off the clock)

2. McD calls timeout for no apparent reason after defense is set up. 

3. Frazier runs same defensive play and they already know what it is to give them a free play. 

Take away one of these things and they probably come out with a win. 

For all 3 of them to happen in succession was just an overall failure by coaching.  (and luck for KC).

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

This team is certainly talented enough to win a superbowl.  I think they were last year as well.  A lot has to go right to do that.  A lot of teams are also talented enough to win a superbowl.

Talent is not enough.

You have to have luck as well.

Get lucky with low number of injuries or if a key guy gets injured, his backup steps in and doesn't miss a beat.

And coaches that know how to manage and call a game. All that has to come together 

42 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I see "13 seconds" as a compounding failure. 

1. Farewell/Bass didn't get the memo to keep it in play (no time off the clock)

2. McD calls timeout for no apparent reason after defense is set up. 

3. Frazier runs same defensive play and they already know what it is to give them a free play. 

Take away one of these things and they probably come out with a win. 

For all 3 of them to happen in succession was just an overall failure by coaching.  (and luck for KC).

And that's why I said it was on McDermott and to a lesser degree Frazier and Farwell because the Head Coach has to bear ultimate responsibility and oversight as to the important details at crucial times.

McDermott either involved himself incorrectly or insufficiently. He should/could have involved himself in a way that at least one of the above mistakes didn't happen.

I'm a big McDermott fan but the fact that all of them happened is on him IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Talent is not enough.

You have to have luck as well.

Get lucky with low number of injuries or if a key guy gets injured, his backup steps in and doesn't miss a beat.

And coaches that know how to manage and call a game. All that has to come together 

Yeah thats why I also said "alot has to go right."  I kind of lumped luck, decision making, etc into that.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I viewed the Bengals much differently. They had built a talented roster throughout and had a bonafide franchise QB that everyone could see was the real deal, taken 1st overall the previous year. They were on the up-and-up, whereas the Pats, Dolphins, Browns are stagnant or just bad. They have huge question marks at QB and culture/chemistry issues.

Picking the Bengals to make a SB run last year would've been a significant dark horse candidate, but it wouldn't have been outrageous to mention them in an article such as this, considering the talent. IMO, the Pats, Phins, and Browns are not the same type of candidates with that kind of potential.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

I viewed the Bengals much differently. They had built a talented roster throughout and had a bonafide franchise QB that everyone could see was the real deal, taken 1st overall the previous year. They were on the up-and-up, whereas the Pats, Dolphins, Browns are stagnant or just bad. They have huge question marks at QB and culture/chemistry issues.

Picking the Bengals to make a SB run last year would've been a significant dark horse candidate, but it wouldn't have been outrageous to mention them in an article such as this, considering the talent. IMO, the Pats, Phins, and Browns are not the same type of candidates with that kind of potential.

I agree with you about the Pats and the Browns (though the Browns are talented except at QB).

I could actually see a scenario where Miami has a very good season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.