PFT: Can the Bills thrive under the weight of high expectations?

YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

I think the rams are going to come out extremely hard and hit Buffalo with everything they have right from the kickoff. You know they have the latest line posted on their bulletin board about how where the favs. in their building in week one (no respect.)

I think the Bills have to hold on early and then they’ll be OK.

On the other hand, the Bills have been chomping at the bit quite a bit themselves. They are dying to play someone else and the rams have many questionable points on both sides of the ball…. The Rams OL has two new starters, both should be downgrades.

They’ll be playing a newer secondary just like us and they are missing last year’s NT and pass rusher Von Miller.

I suspect the loud and proud blue collar Bills mafia will show up in full force while the beautiful people of La-La Land will be on their cells, applying a new coat of make-up, rubbing elbows with movers and shakers, and not paying any attention.
Advantage-Bills. 

• Like (+1) 2

This article acts as if luck doesn't matter.  I think the Bills' 1995 team was better than the 4 previous, but Andre Reed got hurt early, Marv went to the hospital, and then Bruce Smith caught the flu just before the Pittsburgh game.

On paper, if healthy, I think the Bills are the best team in the NFL.  But the AFC is stacked, so any little problem will be magnified and we might have to go on the road again in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

I suspect the loud and proud blue collar Bills mafia will show up in full force while the beautiful people of La-La Land will be on their cells, applying a new coat of make-up, rubbing elbows with movers and shakers, and not paying any attention.
Advantage-Bills. 

One possible major difference in the respective teams fan bases is that in CA, there are a lot of gangs... surprisingly even in more rural areas.

I don't know what the percentage might be but there's probably a lot of thugs that fly the LA Rams colors and cheer for them.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

One possible major difference in the respective teams fan bases is that in CA, there are a lot of gangs... surprisingly even in more rural areas.

I don't know what the percentage might be but there's probably a lot of thugs that fly the LA Rams colors and cheer for them.

Not sure what that has to do with fans in attendance Thursday night. Is SoFi going to have a scene straight out of Michael Jackson’s ‘Bad’ video? Will the Crips and Bloods be warring over which group gets to be home or visitor? 

• Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen can.  He's unflappable - I think he has that rare quality of thriving on pressure. He wants the ball w/ 2 minutes to go, needing to drive 80 yards for the win (and there aren't many guys like that).

I'd say the team is up for the challenge, also. 

• Like (+1) 1

They played a whole lot of "disinterested" looking football to fall to 7-6 against a garbage schedule last year.

Having home field advantage basically served to them on a platter didn't seem to work out too well.

Pressure........a tougher schedule.........if those things don't bring out the best in them then I guess they are damned if they do or don't.

51 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Not sure what that has to do with fans in attendance Thursday night. Is SoFi going to have a scene straight out of Michael Jackson’s ‘Bad’ video? Will the Crips and Bloods be warring over which group gets to be home or visitor? 

Honestly I shouldn't have brought this up because I thought it could be a can of worms.

I'm not an authority on the subject but I can tell you that in February at the NFC Championship game a 49er fan was assaulted pretty badly. There have been other incidents of violence in the history between the Rams-Niners and also the Dodgers-Giants and even at Raiders-Rams games.

I just wanted to lend some context to the idea that the Rams fans will be sitting on their hands.

• Like (+1) 1

"Circumstantially, Bills look like a 12-5 season By CHUCK POLLOCK - Olean Times Herald"

As I agree with him, the first 7 games of the season are brutally tough. So... it might lower the pressure in a way if they lose some, and if they somehow are 7-0 / 6-1 after these, then the hype will be crazy BUT they will have proven it to themselves how good they are too.

Anyway, as usual, injuries are a key factor. Let's all pray for #17 to have perfect health all year!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Honestly I shouldn't have brought this up because I thought it could be a can of worms.

I'm not an authority on the subject but I can tell you that in February at the NFC Championship game a 49er fan was assaulted pretty badly. There have been other incidents of violence in the history between the Rams-Niners and also the Dodgers-Giants and even at Raiders-Rams games.

I just wanted to lend some context to the idea that the Rams fans will be sitting on their hands.

There was a serious incident where a SF Giants fan was put on life support after a beatdown at a game back in 2011 or so. 

I know what you're talking about. Cali does have that issue in some areas. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

My biggest concern is the media. As teams reach this type of level of attention, the attention-seekers and power-hungry come out of the woodwork. 

That's when you get Jay Skurskis trying to get the front office fired even after they did the right thing. Now imagine ESPN and SI carrying that torch over some soundbite a random player or coach said. 

Allen is sort of a household name right now, but once he reaches Mahomes/Manning/Brady levels of fame, he enters into weirdo world. TMZ everywhere, celebrities hanging around, off the field distractions to the max. When Nike starts paying you as much as the Bills do, strange conflicts of interest start to appear. 

I think Allen has already reached that status after the KC game.  So far he seems to be handling it well. 

39 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I think Allen has already reached that status after the KC game.  So far he seems to be handling it well. 

I think he's definitely reached a higher level, but we're kidding ourselves that he's on that State Farm commercial level. 

I'm not sure he's more famous to the casual fan right now than Baker Mayfield. Definitely is perceived as the better player, but in terms of NFL or Big 4 Sports fame, he's still a light heavyweight. Diggs in a weird way is more famous than Allen, due to the Minneapolis Miracle and all his endorsements. 

He's definitely handling it well, but we'll really see after a SB appearance where he's in the entire country's living room. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SoMAn said:

Advantage-Bills. 

LA is just not an NFL city.  But it has nothing to do with “blue collar” Bills fans carrying their lunch pails, etc to LA to cheer on the team.  

15 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I actually think the real pressure will come NEXT season if the Bills don’t make it to the SB this year and fans start to realize the true lost opportunity of “13 seconds” - hopefully we never get there.

Cincy says slow your roll. Why do people assume the bills would have beat cincy? Another reason to let it go. Just let it go 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Maybe but Florio also makes the point that if you disagree, consider last year's Cincinnati Bengals. The Bengals were 4-11-1 in 2020. They were in the Super Bowl the next year.

Rightly or wrongly, 13 seconds will become a part of a narrative... either that it was the continuation of a pattern of deep playoff failure or that it was a turning point, a necessary setback which the team turned into a springboard for Super Bowl appearances. That narrative pivots on this season.

I agree with the first sentence but disagree with the second one.

The 13 seconds debacle is definitely on the shoulders of McDermott (and to a LESSER degree, Frazier and Farwell).

However McDermott is very safe IMO. I don't see the Pegulas ditching a coach who has brought the team so much success. It would take a few more flameouts for him to be on the hot seat IMO.

100% agree.  The coaching staff cost us a SB win.  We know that, the players know it, and so does Beane. McDermott is safe this year no matter what occurs.  He has accomplished too much to part ways with him this year.   

No Superbowl this year or next and McDermott then has to go. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

100% agree.  The coaching staff cost us a SB win.  We know that, the players know it, and so does Beane. McDermott is safe this year no matter what occurs.  He has accomplished too much to part ways with him this year.   

No Superbowl this year or next and McDermott then has to go. 

Agreed. I still maintain McD should have went for 2 after the last Davis TD. Go up 4 and then play the prevent D. Miss the conversion then you play a much more aggressive defense. Instead we got the defensive strategy of a team up 4, not 3. And a blown kickoff. It was a terrible strategy and failure in leadership. McD having a 7-6 team after debacles vs Steelers, Jaguars & the Patriots meant no home field advantage. I do like going for the W at Tennessee. 

Edited by Dr.Sack
  • Like (+1) 1

hmmm 🤔 Which side would fall harder — the Fans or the Media?

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-fans-want-to-be-all-in-but-theres-always-that-fear-of-heartbreak/article_3f8dfacc-29f3-11ed-aff8-df85d9f1eb17.html

Bills fans want to be all in, but there's always that fear of heartbreak  

BBFS is still out there

Battered 

Bills 

Fan

Syndrome 

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

And yet, they have 2 NFL teams. 

Different context.  Them having 2 NFL teams doesn't make LA an NFL city.  It makes it a city that has two NFL teams.

LA has so much to offer to people in the area and even visitors that a football game could be lower on the "list of things to do when in LA", especially if you're not a fan of either team since I'm sure they have a lot of transplants.

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

hmmm 🤔 Which side would fall harder — the Fans or the Media?

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-fans-want-to-be-all-in-but-theres-always-that-fear-of-heartbreak/article_3f8dfacc-29f3-11ed-aff8-df85d9f1eb17.html

BBFS is still out there

Battered 

Bills 

Fan

Syndrome 

Not me.  Im all in.  I have been all in.  This team has what it needs to make it.  If they dont then they dont and they try again next year.  I enjoy each and every season.  Sure, I am disappointed when they dont make it but so what?

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/3/2022 at 7:49 AM, YoloinOhio said:

All I know is that at this time 6 days from now, this board will either be in "17-0 we going all the way" mode or "9-8 we suck arse” mode. There is no middle ground. 

I'm not expecting a win against the Rams in L.A.  Josh is usually great on the national stage, but opening game with this much of a roster change.....Anyway, I'm not gonna turtle if we lose a close one. However, if we do win, that could really start a good momentum coming home against the Titans.

4 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Different context.  Them having 2 NFL teams doesn't make LA an NFL city.  It makes it a city that has two NFL teams.

LA has so much to offer to people in the area and even visitors that a football game could be lower on the "list of things to do when in LA", especially if you're not a fan of either team since I'm sure they have a lot of transplants.

Case in point: talked to a random guy who lives in OC via a work call. I mention that I know someone who lives in Newport Beach, as he does. I ask - “Rams or Chargers?” First, he says “Lakers”. Then  He says, “well the chargers are in San Diego.” I said, (incredulously) - “well they moved to LA several years ago soooo” and he says “oh, yeah. I forgot”

this was 2 months ago

No response on rams at all

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yep...........as I've been saying Vegas sees the Bills as having only about a 7% chance to win it.

The preseason favorite has only won the SB 3 times since 1996.

No team with a first year offensive coordinator, like the Bills have this year with Ken Dorsey, has won a Super Bowl since Mike Holmgren was a first time OC for the 49ers.........and that was on a team that had already won Super Bowls.

A lot of Bills fans are very confused about what this favorite status says about their odds...........by contrast the most recent Patriots champion entered the season as an 18% chance favorite to win it...........this season is considered as wide open as ever and the AFC in particular looks like the toughest conference to win since the SB era began.

I heard the Bet QL guy on the radio say that the Jaguars are considered the 14th or 15th best team in the AFC and their upside was "division winner".............this conference is loaded.

The upside is...........if you actually get home field you only have to beat 2 of those teams to get to the SB.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yep...........as I've been saying Vegas sees the Bills as having only about a 7% chance to win it.

The preseason favorite has only won the SB 3 times since 1996.

No team with a first year offensive coordinator, like the Bills have this year with Ken Dorsey, has won a Super Bowl since Mike Holmgren was a first time OC for the 49ers.........and that was on a team that had already won Super Bowls.

A lot of Bills fans are very confused about what this favorite status says about their odds...........by contrast the most recent Patriots champion entered the season as an 18% chance favorite to win it...........this season is considered as wide open as ever and the AFC in particular looks like the toughest conference to win since the SB era began.

I heard the Bet QL guy on the radio say that the Jaguars are considered the 14th or 15th best team in the AFC and their upside was "division winner".............this conference is loaded.

The upside is...........if you actually get home field you only have to beat 2 of those teams to get to the SB.   

Agree AFC is wide open. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/3/2022 at 7:49 AM, YoloinOhio said:

All I know is that at this time 6 days from now, this board will either be in "17-0 we going all the way" mode or "9-8 we suck arse” mode. There is no middle ground. 

I agree that there is no middle ground - this year!  Either the team wins it all or we're going to be very disappointed.  There  is no team on paper better than the Bills.  I think it comes down to whether the players want to seize the moment.  I can't help but think of that old Lou Saban clip - "if we die, we die together, you can get it done, you can get it done, what's more ya gotta get it done...."  I'm running out of years, Bills - get it done this year! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/3/2022 at 10:18 AM, BarleyNY said:

Honestly, this isn’t a worry of mine. The meat grinder that is the AFC right now is. 

This is the truth, I love the bills and I no there the favorites. But there’s a few teams in the AFC if you leave them 1:56 down 4  your season might be over. I think it comes down to our defense they have to show up big in the playoffs. 

4 hours ago, chaccof said:

I agree that there is no middle ground - this year!  Either the team wins it all or we're going to be very disappointed.  There  is no team on paper better than the Bills.  I think it comes down to whether the players want to seize the moment.  I can't help but think of that old Lou Saban clip - "if we die, we die together, you can get it done, you can get it done, what's more ya gotta get it done...."  I'm running out of years, Bills - get it done this year! 

Man I no that’s right, I will be happy with just one I’m 45 and live in Mississippi so you can imagine the looks I get for being a bills fan. 

On 9/3/2022 at 9:05 AM, JESSEFEFFER said:

Agree.  He and Beane have already been extended.  Terry and Kim have had their struggles getting their organizational parts right, but they haven't suffered long when things weren't right and moved to pull the plug even with big money still committed, ex. Rex and Ralph Krueger.  When they do get it right, they move to lock it in.  PFT seems to not recognize this.  They think they have it right.

Stability does not "sell" well with media.  Beane and Coach McD are safe unless something happens completely out of character with them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.