NFL Draft Rumors

HappyDays

6 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

this is something, would be quite a shocker if Corral goes in round 1

I don’t know.  Probably won’t cost much in draft capital to move from 2nd round into 1st round.  Could see a couple of teams go up to get Ridder or Corral.  Having the 5th year option is huge when you draft a QB.  

32 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

this is something, would be quite a shocker if Corral goes in round 1

Why?  He’s a QB. maybe the top qb on some boarders  I’d take him over Pickett.  I’d take willis over Corral based on physical gifts, but corral is a gamer.  I expect him to be the 1st or 2nd qb taken.  Probably by the Steelers

40 minutes ago, wppete said:

I love this guy! 

It’s a sign of the times that he’s in on table jumping/fan base ‘metrics’, yadayada… cool.  BUT, he is definitely not Ted Washington. I had no idea he was so ‘trim’.  Makes me want to jump on board with BadOld’s argument that he’s a too-tall Jordan Phillips type…

Edited by Rhode Island Red
  • Eyeroll 1

More from Charlie Campbell who correctly predicted the Jermaine Johnson slide:

https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/2022-NFL-Draft-Week-Rumors-Friday

It has been known for awhile that the 2022 NFL Draft was deep at edge rusher, but did not have a lot of talent at defensive tackle. There are a number of teams in need of help at defensive tackle, and the free agency market was not bountiful either. That caused teams to expand the search, and sources have told me that the Carolina Panthers turned down a mid-first-round pick for young veteran Derrick Brown. Brown has played well since being the seventh-overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. The Panthers entered the 2022 NFL Draft with big needs at quarterback and left tackle. A mid-first-round pick could have allowed Carolina to address both positions on the opening night of the 2022 NFL Draft. The Panthers, however, value Brown to the point that they decided against trading him for a first-round pick.

Washington cornerback Kyler Gordon was not selected during the opening night of the 2022 NFL Draft, but in the early portion of the draft process, there were a lot of projections of Gordon being a first-round pick. The 2022 NFL Draft was not rich in first-round corners, and cornerback is a premium position that teams target in the first round. Hence, something seemed off with Gordon not being a contender late in Round 1. Team sources told WalterFootball.com that Gordon's makeup hurt him with teams. Teams questioned how much Gordon loves football and wonder if he might have a short career because he has other interests. Apparently, Gordon is big into competitive dance and teams were concerned that he was not interested in a football career as his top priority.

The 2022 NFL Draft did not have a running back taken in the first round, but that could change quickly later tonight. Sources say Iowa State running back Breece Hall is a target of the New York Jets, who have pick No. 38. Hall could give Gang Green a big talent upgrade in the backfield and could help to set up favorable down-and-distance situations for Zach Wilson. Hall would be a plug-and-play starter to lead off Friday night.

Two other teams that could be targeting Hall early in the second round are the Houston Texans and Atlanta Falcons. Another back who could be in play for those teams is Michigan State's Kenneth Walker. Walker probably won't last long once Hall goes off the board.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Who is left - Kyren Williams? I guess it is possible. Good in pass pro. 

Hubby says Kevin Austin WR will be drafted in later rounds. Said he never had the benefit of a good position coach at Notre Dame. Hub says if a competent position coach  would teach this guy Technique in the pros He thinks the guy could be really good. Entered draft as a Junior this year

Edited by muppy

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2022 at 1:08 AM, Warriorspikes51 said:

Bears want more picks.

Teams are calling about Robert Quinn per Ian R.  

18.5 sacks last year.

Age 31 with a 12.5 mil hit: deal could be restructured

how about a 4th and a 6th for Quinn?

two elite Edge rushers. Rousseau and Basham can learn and be in rotation.

Might be had for cheap as he was a no show for mandatory mini camp.  Bears aren’t winning anytime soon and really have no need for a 31 year old DE at $12M on their roster.  I really want to see what Basham and Rousseau have, but like you said they can be rotational for one more year.  Quinn is a beast, and would give us two high caliber starting DE’s.  It’s most likely a pipe dream, but hey, the cap doesn’t exist so it is possible.  

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player-news/10815246

• 8 months later...
19 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Look at all the Tariq Woolen love in here. So many good talent evaluators. 

Don’t be annoyed after we read all of your top shelf scouting excerpts and start using@IronMaidenBills instead of @GunnerBill
when we want prospect evals for years to come.  

you went from an alright guy to ignore in 5 posts today.  

This isn’t what a Bills message board is about to 95% of us. It’s about the team.  You apparently think it’s about you. It’s not. 👋🏻 

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Don’t be annoyed after we read all of your top shelf scouting excerpts and start using@IronMaidenBills instead of @GunnerBill
when we want prospect evals for years to come.  

you went from an alright guy to ignore in 5 posts today.  

This isn’t what a Bills message board is about to 95% of us. It’s about the team.  You apparently think it’s about you. It’s not. 👋🏻 

Oh come on man, don’t take it so personal. Some of us love the Bills way to much and we all want to win a super bowl. Hitting on draft picks is such a key issue, and many of us are tired of watching talented players passing us by, only to watch them go on to have great careers elsewhere. If some of us little folks can see it, why can’t professional football administrators see it? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

@mrags was on the Hall/Woolen train as well. I think you even thumbed me up about it. Glad to see you can identify top talent as well. You should post in my GM thread and talk about the upcoming draft. 

thanks. Yeah I was in on those 2 for sure. Had Hall as a first rounder for sure and he was looking like a monster at the beginning of the season. And I was a huge fan of the measurables of Woolen. 

I think I’ve said it before. I don’t watch much college ball. But right around this time I start doing mock drafts and watching a lot of highlight vids for players in the draft. I’m a little behind schedule this year as my work schedule has completely changed. In between 3 straight 16 hour work days now. I’ll stop over and take a look at your thread in a few days. 

Edited by mrags

47 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Oh come on man, don’t take it so personal. Some of us love the Bills way to much and we all want to win a super bowl. Hitting on draft picks is such a key issue, and many of us are tired of watching talented players passing us by, only to watch them go on to have great careers elsewhere. If some of us little folks can see it, why can’t professional football administrators see it? 

Ask yourself who the very first person to mention Woolen on these boards last draft season was.

Because I have checked when you first mentioned him. And it was the week leading up to the draft. I think the "football administrators" normally put a little more research into it than that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Ask yourself who the very first person to mention Woolen on these boards last draft season was.

Because I have checked when you first mentioned him. And it was the week leading up to the draft. I think the "football administrators" normally put a little more research into it than that. 

Ask yourself how a joe can do basic research leading up to the draft, and hit on prospects better than our football administrators have that get paid thousands of dollars and it’s their career. I guarantee you, if this board made a selection round by round poll of prospects available during that round, and you took the top 3 players voted for, the board would perform better than professionals. I might just do that this year. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Ask yourself how a joe can do basic research leading up to the draft, and hit on prospects better than our football administrators have. I guarantee you, if this board made a selection round by round poll of prospects available during that round, and you took the top 3 players voted for, the board would perform better than professionals. I might just do that this year. 

That would be cool to do the week after when we know who was available at the time of drafting.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

That would be cool to do the week after when we know who was available at the time of drafting.

We can do that to, its before players actually start playing, so it would still be indicative on true talent evaluation.  I think it would be cool to have a Joes vs the Pros every year and see just how well the Bills Mafia stacks up against the pros. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

We can do that to, its before players actually start playing, so it would still be indicative on true talent evaluation.  I think it would be cool to have a Joes vs the Pros every year and see just how well the Bills Mafia stacks up against the pros. 

I'm in! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Ask yourself how a joe can do basic research leading up to the draft, and hit on prospects better than our football administrators have that get paid thousands of dollars and it’s their career. I guarantee you, if this board made a selection round by round poll of prospects available during that round, and you took the top 3 players voted for, the board would perform better than professionals. I might just do that this year. 

Do you really think that the board would have done better than Beane over the last five drafts? And when do we judge it? Not after rookie years, certainly. After 2 seasons? 3? End of rookie contracts? 

I am the first to dismiss those who argue "I trust the GM because he knows more than I do" because they all make mistakes, and there are times where amateurs who watch film may well get one right and GMs don't. But overall I'm not as sure the balance tips to the fans as you. 

We do actually have polls of members here from Virgil's member mocks that are a decent guide. So I looked at a few results. 

In 2022:

at #25 of guys in the poll who were still on the board when the Bills picked the selection would have been: Daxton Hill, S, Michigan

at #57 of guys in the poll who were still on the board when the Bills picked the selection would have been: Tariq Woolen, CB, UTSA

In 2021:

at #30 of the guys in the poll who were still on the board when the Bills picked the selection would have been: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame

at #60 of the guys in the poll who were still on the board when the Bills picked the selection would have been: Joseph Ossai, Edge, Texas

in 2020:

NO FIRST - traded for Stefon Diggs

at #54 of the guys in the poll who were still on the board when the Bills picked the selection would have been: Terrell Lewis, OLB, Alabama

at #86 of the guys in the poll who were still on the board when the Bills picked the selection would have been: Anfernee Jennings, OLB, Alabama

I can't find the polls from any further back than that. But thanks to @Virgil for running his mocks and I suspect we are fast approaching the first of this year!

When you look at that list Woolen stands out. But Hill and Elam both had good not great rookie years, JOK has not been as good an NFL player as Groot, Ossai over Basham even despite him losing his entire rookie year to an ACL, but then Jennings has started only 7 games on a bad Patriots team and Lewis was so bad with the Rams they have already cut bait with him. So while Epenesa and Moss might not have been studs not sure the fans did any better. Also interestingly given where the board is now.... we'd have picked 6 defensive players!!! Beane it's 4 defensive players and two running backs!!!

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Do you really think that the board would have done better than Beane over the last five drafts? And when do we judge it? Not after rookie years, certainly. After 2 seasons? 3? End of rookie contracts? 

I am the first to dismiss those who argue "I trust the GM because he knows more than I do" because they all make mistakes, and there are times where amateurs who watch film may well get one right and GMs don't. But overall I'm not as sure the balance tips to the fans as you. 

We do actually have polls of members here from Virgil's member mocks that are a decent guide. So I looked at a few results. 

In 2022:

at #25 of guys in the poll who were still on the board when the Bills picked the selection would have been: Daxton Hill, S, Michigan

at #57 of guys in the poll who were still on the board when the Bills picked the selection would have been: Tariq Woolen, CB, UTSA

In 2021:

at #30 of the guys in the poll who were still on the board when the Bills picked the selection would have been: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame

at #60 of the guys in the poll who were still on the board when the Bills picked the selection would have been: Joseph Ossai, Edge, Texas

in 2020:

NO FIRST - traded for Stefon Diggs

at #54 of the guys in the poll who were still on the board when the Bills picked the selection would have been: Terrell Lewis, OLB, Alabama

at #86 of the guys in the poll who were still on the board when the Bills picked the selection would have been: Anfernee Jennings, OLB, Alabama

I can't find the polls from any further back than that. But thanks to @Virgil for running his mocks and I suspect we are fast approaching the first of this year!

When you look at that list Woolen stands out. But Hill and Elam both had good not great rookie years, JOK has not been as good an NFL player as Groot, Ossai over Basham even despite him losing his entire rookie year to an ACL, but then Jennings has started only 7 games on a bad Patriots team and Lewis was so bad with the Rams they have already cut bait with him. So while Epenesa and Moss might not have been studs not sure the fans did any better. Also interestingly given where the board is now.... we'd have picked 6 defensive players!!! Beane it's 4 defensive players and two running backs!!!

I think everyone and their mother wanted DK Metcalf over Cody Ford. 

Can go back in time when everyone on earth wanted Orakpo, and the Bills chose Maybin.

Or when everyone wanted Haloti Ngata, and the Bills took Whitner. 

Most times the message board is usually better than the real GM sadly.

Edited by Negan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.