NFL Draft Rumors

HappyDays

15 hours ago, Logic said:

"Sounds like a smokescreen to me" is often draft-season-speak for "I don't like the rumor I'm hearing".

Yes, sometimes this stuff IS a smokescreen. Sometimes it's not. Very often, the more arduously one dislikes a given rumor, the more vehemently they will insist it's a smokescreen.

I wonder, for instance: If the rumor was that the Bills planned to stay put and take the best corner available, or, say, that they really like Andrew Booth...would people insist THAT'S a smokescreen, too? (Cue insistent "yes!" defenses here).

Draft season is too long. By the Monday of draft week, the arguments and counter arguments have all been made. The hay is in the barn. All that's left is kookiness.

Let it be Thursday night already...

It’s definitely draft fatigue hitting. But most bills fans seem to want this RB and a lot don’t want a corner so not sure. Draft week is just heavy smokescreen time so anything getting to the media is getting there in calculated fashion. 

Who has espn+ and can tell me what Matt Miller predicted for Bills?

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

But the way contracts and the cap work means your roster is never "filled out" for long. So I'd rather take a premium position guy that I might not "start" in 2022 but that will be down the line rather than take the "luxury pick" at running back.

Ehhhh. Havnt we been thinking about “down the line” for a couple decades now? I’ll take the immediate upgrade. It’s not like this is something that’s gonna bankrupt the franchise. 

this is probably the wrong thread for all this though. So I’ll be moving on. Good talk, as always. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Where would this team be without Matt Milano and Taron Johnson on defense? What about Siran Neal or Bass on ST? All of them were 2nd day picks. It's nice to think that all that matters are your top guys but a team is more than that. It's why you sign Trubisky last year and trade for Keenum this season. It's why Tawain Jones keeps getting brought back. It's going to be more important when Poyer, Edmunds and Gabe Davis and McKenzie and maybe Knox are off it. Going all in when you have a QB about to hit his prime will middle you out when your franchise player could be at his best not wise if ask me. While I'm all for taking a CB in Round 1 since helps the starting 22 and overall depth is much wiser than risking picks for a one year wonder injured WR. 

Nice analysis. Agree on the the corner vs an injuried WR. Depth and development should always be considered. I get that and agree. However, the idea of getting one or two studs to take you over the top is equally appealing. Look at the Miller pick up and Diggs signing. I suppose when you are an elite team like the Bills; you have to weigh the two and make quality decisions. 

56 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

This is exactly where I’m at too, especially point #1. Everytime we turn around and hand it off, the defense is ecstatic because it’s no longer in Josh’s hands. I’m not saying we can’t be more dynamic back there, but why kind of team do we want to be? You want to pound the rock or throw it around? I’m the latter. That said, teams are going to be playing light boxes all year against us to force us to run more so we need guys that can take the short passes and take them to the house or can keep the defense honest if we hand it off. Teams don’t fear singletary but would they fear Hall? No clue. I think our O line was such a mess last year that even Hall wouldn’t have been successful. Is Hall a dynamic pass catcher out of the backfield? If so then maybe that’s something we really need and would help to offset the defenses josh is definitely going to be seeing this year. 

Not necessarily in love with Breece Hall at 25, but Singletary catches the ball, then turns up field, then gets what he can.   Breece Hall is fluid in his pass catching, meaning that unlike Singletary (who is ok in the pass game), he catches and goes in one motion, and then looks to make a big play with his speed and cut back ability.  

Not sure if that makes any sense, but what I see with Breece Hall is a guy who can take those Allen checkdowns against 2 deep safety looks and do damage... whereas Singletary just gets what's there.  

The Jermaine Johnson thing from Charlie Campbell maybe is true but a guy at Georgia who isn’t getting PT even though he’s likely a top 10 pick this cycle would be a source of frustration. 

I’m as big of a backer of Johnson as any but I find that to be untrue. Everyone at FSU said he was a model teammate, never complained despite the team being 5-7 and came back for Norvell twice to recruit including transfer DE Jared Verse and their spring game. Verse even stated that having that 1 on 1 conversation was a big reason he decided to transfer to Florida State

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s definitely draft fatigue hitting. But most bills fans seem to want this RB and a lot don’t want a corner so not sure. Draft week is just heavy smokescreen time so anything getting to the media is getting there in calculated fashion. 

Who has espn+ and can tell me what Matt Miller predicted for Bills?

I’m a sucker who pays for it…

Mcduffie

Tolbert

James Cook

Zachary Carter

Cade Mays

Cole Kelley

Terrel Bernard

Jordan Stout.

I really hate that mock. I like Stout in the 7th the most out of all his picks..

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

I’m a sucker who pays for it…

Mcduffie

Tolbert

James Cook

Zachary Carter

Cade Mays

Cole Kelley

Terrel Bernard

Jordan Stout.

I really hate that mock. I like Stout in the 7th the most out of all his picks..

I like McDuffie (position of need, dont know enough about all the corners to know which one I would prefer), Cook (added speed/pass catching weapon) and Mays picks

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

I like McDuffie (position of need, dont know enough about all the corners to know which one I would prefer), Cook (added speed/pass catching weapon) and Mays picks

I like Cook, but 89 seems a bit early for him. 

1 hour ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

This is exactly where I’m at too, especially point #1. Everytime we turn around and hand it off, the defense is ecstatic because it’s no longer in Josh’s hands. I’m not saying we can’t be more dynamic back there, but why kind of team do we want to be? You want to pound the rock or throw it around? I’m the latter. That said, teams are going to be playing light boxes all year against us to force us to run more so we need guys that can take the short passes and take them to the house or can keep the defense honest if we hand it off. Teams don’t fear singletary but would they fear Hall? No clue. I think our O line was such a mess last year that even Hall wouldn’t have been successful. Is Hall a dynamic pass catcher out of the backfield? If so then maybe that’s something we really need and would help to offset the defenses josh is definitely going to be seeing this year. 

Devin Singletary is a career 4.7 ypc RB who actually put up better numbers in college than Hall.     

For comparison........Leonard Fournette.......long lusted after by RB-centric Bills fans........ is just a career 4.0 ypc RB.........and pretty consistently high 3's and low 4's whether playing with Blake Bortles or Tom Brady.

Bills fans simply have a bad case of thinking the grass is always greener because the RB has a higher draft stock or runs a better 40 at a bigger size...........which has been proven wrong time and time again.

In the unlikely event that the Bills got top of the league production from Hall..........like Nick Chubb or Johnathon Taylor.....5.3 ypc on 15 carries per game(255 carry pace)..........that's a measly 9 more yards total per game versus an average Singletary day.    

The Bills should definitely add a RB on day 3 because Singletary is a free agent after the season and because it is a very deep pool or RB's............but they don't need to draft one in the first round and park the productive Singletary on the bench or have them split 20 carries per game.

McDermott may disagree.........maybe the objective is to pound the rock for 12 games and then go back into panic mode in December and start running Josh Allen 10 times per game.    Either way I don't think you need a first round RB.   History has proven that over and over.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

This has been kind of my feeling too. Why would we draft a bell cow type rb high, to give him 20+ carries a game when we have an elite franchise passer at qb. We arent going to be a turn around and hand the ball off type offense with josh allen. 

The rb would have to be special. Dont see that with hall. 

2 hours ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

You do realize Hall is a good weapon in the receiving game too right?  It’s obvious they want a RB that can catch as was evidenced by their attempt to get McKissic. Hall is the best pass catching RB in the draft. 

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Nice analysis. Agree on the the corner vs an injuried WR. Depth and development should always be considered. I get that and agree. However, the idea of getting one or two studs to take you over the top is equally appealing. Look at the Miller pick up and Diggs signing. I suppose when you are an elite team like the Bills; you have to weigh the two and make quality decisions. 

I think some here under value Marquez Stevenson as a WR. He showed some good play last preseason toss in feel the WR depth in this draft is big similar to the year we got Gabe Davis in the 3rd. I don't see a stud WR putting us over the top this year. That's why am not advocating trading up for one. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If the Bills select Hall, it’s because they believe he’s capable of catching a 5 yard pass and turning it into a 60 yard TD. They don’t currently have that player on the roster and Beane referenced needing that sort of talent. You can draft it at WR and add it to that group, but personally I’d rather have it at RB. He doesn’t have to carry it 25+ times a game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Devin Singletary is a career 4.7 ypc RB who actually put up better numbers in college than Hall.     

For comparison........Leonard Fournette.......long lusted after by RB-centric Bills fans........ is just a career 4.0 ypc RB.........and pretty consistently high 3's and low 4's whether playing with Blake Bortles or Tom Brady.

Bills fans simply have a bad case of thinking the grass is always greener because the RB has a higher draft stock or runs a better 40 at a bigger size...........which has been proven wrong time and time again.

In the unlikely event that the Bills got top of the league production from Hall..........like Nick Chubb or Johnathon Taylor.....5.3 ypc on 15 carries per game(255 carry pace)..........that's a measly 9 more yards total per game versus an average Singletary day.    

The Bills should definitely add a RB on day 3 because Singletary is a free agent after the season and because it is a very deep pool or RB's............but they don't need to draft one in the first round and park the productive Singletary on the bench or have them split 20 carries per game.

McDermott may disagree.........maybe the objective is to pound the rock for 12 games and then go back into panic mode in December and start running Josh Allen 10 times per game.    Either way I don't think you need a first round RB.   History has proven that over and over.

To be fair Devin's level of competition as FIU probably worse than Hall's has been at ISU. That said I'm not big on taking a RB in Round 1. I think a complimentary RB to Motor can be found later than sooner. The guy I like to fit Round 4/5 area we could take to me is Ty Chandler. As he has the timed/breakaway speed and can also line up as a WR and return kicks and what this team could use as a RB3 behind Singletary/Johnson.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Where would this team be without Matt Milano and Taron Johnson on defense? What about Siran Neal or Bass on ST? All of them were 2nd day picks. It's nice to think that all that matters are your top guys but a team is more than that. It's why you sign Trubisky last year and trade for Keenum this season. It's why Tawain Jones keeps getting brought back. It's going to be more important when Poyer, Edmunds and Gabe Davis and McKenzie and maybe Knox are off it. Going all in when you have a QB about to hit his prime will middle you out when your franchise player could be at his best not wise if ask me. While I'm all for taking a CB in Round 1 since helps the starting 22 and overall depth is much wiser than risking picks for a one year wonder injured WR. 

A good GM earns his keep on days 2 and 3.  Not to say that you can keep missing on No. 1 picks...like every Jet GM for the past 20 years, but you build your team after day 1.

As much as people say there is a limit of Round 1 grades this year, that may be true.  But it doesn't mean the day 2 and 3 players are all mediocre. 

Quite to the contrary, IMO.  There is a really good pool of outstanding athletes who have produced, but usually at a lower level of competition.

Troy Anderson - N Dakota St.

Christian Watson - N. Dakota St.

Pierre Strong - S. Dakota St.

Zyon McCollum - Sam Houston St.

Danny Gray- SMU

Tycen Anderson - Toledo

to name a few. Put their physical numbers against most of the first round guys and they equal or exceed them.

Some are better athletes than given credit, like Chenal of Wisconsin.  His RAS is outstanding...he just needs proper training on pass pro.  Thorton of Baylor ran a sub 4.3 40 and is 6'3"...and can go up and get the ball...he just needs to put on 15-20 pounds.  He's a bean pole, but a stronger bean pole than he looks. 

Honestly, this a draft pool that would make John Butler salivate. And the beauty is, with the way the current roster is, you can afford to take a chance on one or more of these guys.  You don't have to take only "pretty good players", who will never be more than pretty good.   

Just my opinion, but I expect a good, solid, contributing starter in round 1, but have the feeling the true stud comes in a later round.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I swear we had this thread last year, to track all of the general rumors leading up to the draft.

Here's a few this week from Charlie Campbell who has been on point with the info he's put out before:

https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/2022-NFL-Draft-Week-Rumors-Monday

The note about Daxton Hill is the most intriguing to me. I thought he would be a strong candidate to be our pick at 25. But if he has concerns about his mental makeup he won't have a 1st round grade from Beane.

I can't believe people still believe Walter Football has any first hand knowledge of anything.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I can't believe people still believe Walter Football has any first hand knowledge of anything.

I won't speak for Walter himself, but Charlie Campbell has legitimate sources. As a result every year he is one of the most accurate mock drafters out there.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.