NFL Draft Rumors

HappyDays

22 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Not arguing your point but I saw a quote from Beane today that he feels the Jimmy Johnson point system is terrible. It appears most GMs think it stinks but they don't allow their own point systems be known

I'm sure Johnson's system is very dated now, but it's still probably good enough to ballpark trade scenarios. 

My point is that trading down and adding more picks in the 35-60 range would yield solid prospects who could contribute this year and move into starting roles next year, especially if they move on from Poyer, Edmunds, Saffold, Crowder, Howard, Singletary, etc. 

Edited by Shake_My_Head
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'd rather have fewer picks with higher quality guys. The Bills don't need to draft 10 players who can't contribute much. We are only a piece or 2 away (if that) from hoisting that Lombardi. 

buffalo does not have a glaring hole.

the draft is stronger outside the1st round.  

buffalo trades down and has 4 picks in day 2 and fills depth in 4 positions

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'd rather have fewer picks with higher quality guys. The Bills don't need to draft 10 players who can't contribute much. We are only a piece or 2 away (if that) from hoisting that Lombardi. 

We can still do that and get a couple of extra quality guys for when we get picked apart in FA 

let’s say picks 20-60 grade out similar I would rather have 4 in that range then 2 

Edited by mikemac2001

9 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Same, if memory serves me correct it was heavily rumored Bills were trying to trade up in R2 to take their RB (or maybe back into R1?) but they could not.

I fully expect Bills to address DB in R1 then try and move up in the 2nd to nab their RB.

He very, very likely isn’t playing this season. 

Jameson Williams is 100% playing this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I agree Newcam, buuuuuut there is another side of that coin.  While it's nice to have more early round picks for hopeufully quality players, there is value to having as many picks as possible too!  It's extremely difficult to "hit" on a draft pick and find a handful of players who will last longer than a rookie contract in the NFL.

Cast a wide net with more picks, and use that practice squad to develop players (just another point to add here).  Hopefully the scouts get it right more often than not.

57 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Except he might not play this season. The Bills are 4 WR deep already so there be no rushing him to play and make little sense trading up for him either. 

No player we take in the 1st round this year is going to be the difference between winning the Super Bowl in 2022 or not. Ideally they're the difference in 2023. It's going to be very hard for any rookie to make an impact on the Bills this year. We are in fact uniquely positioned to be patient letting Jameson Williams recover fully and at the very least get some designed touches in the playoffs. This year the 1st round talents that we need to step up are Oliver, Rousseau, and Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

No, we want to run more effectively and more disguised. Having a runner like Hall opens up so many possibilities. 

The top 3 possibilities that drafting Breece Hall in round 1 open up:

1. Taking the ball out of Josh Allen's hands more.

2. Keeping the RB's as a group from getting into a rhythm by dividing carries even further.

3. Potentially lowering the production per play from the alternative of handing it off to the very productive Devin Singletary.

I understand that Hall tested well but he didn't have a better college career rushing the football than Devin Singletary and neither were exceptional pass catchers.

Singletary's NFL career 4.7 yards per carry is not going to be easy to substantially upgrade from.    For reference,  the revered Johnathon Taylor has a career 5.3 ypc.........just a half yard per carry more.........and that's a high end result.     The odds are actually much greater that Hall will produce less ypc than Singletary..........because most highly drafted RB's do.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

Would be great if two of them are in the 2nd round - Jets (unlikely), Seahawks (maybe). Even if we have to throw in our 4th or 5th rounder. i.e. give up our 1st and 4th, get their 2 x 2nd rounders giving us 3 x 2nd round + 1 x 3rd round. Then draft Araiza with the 5th

Jameson Williams AND Breece Hall

BIG BALLER BEANE

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The top 3 possibilities that drafting Breece Hall in round 1 open up:

1. Taking the ball out of Josh Allen's hands more.

2. Keeping the RB's as a group from getting into a rhythm by dividing carries even further.

3. Potentially lowering the production per play from the alternative of handing it off to the very productive Devin Singletary.

I understand that Hall tested well but he didn't have a better college career rushing the football than Devin Singletary and neither were exceptional pass catchers.

Singletary's NFL career 4.7 yards per carry is not going to be easy to substantially upgrade from.    For reference,  the revered Johnathon Taylor has a career 5.3 ypc.........just a half yard per carry more.........and that's a high end result.     The odds are actually much greater that Hall will produce less ypc than Singletary..........because most highly drafted RB's do.  

No defense fears Devin Singletary.

They will fear Breece Hall.

He is a Dynamic RB who can be a weapon in the passing game.

that element to this offense puts every defense in a lose lose scenario on how to defend us….

• Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Jameson Williams AND Breece Hall

BIG BALLER BEANE

No defense fears Devin Singletary.

They will fear Breece Hall.

He is a Dynamic RB who can be a weapon in the passing game.

that element to this offense puts every defense in a lose lose scenario on how to defend us….

They don’t have to fear him. They just need to keep giving up 4.7 YPC. I’d like a speed threat to score from 80+ yards out, but we will be fine at RB. I don’t gamble on finding that guy in the first round. The first round is for premium positions, IMO. 

2 hours ago, djp14150 said:

"Draft is stronger outside the 1st round" Really? I don't think this is accurate by the very nature of the drafting process. 

1 hour ago, Yantha said:

I agree Newcam, buuuuuut there is another side of that coin.  While it's nice to have more early round picks for hopeufully quality players, there is value to having as many picks as possible too!  It's extremely difficult to "hit" on a draft pick and find a handful of players who will last longer than a rookie contract in the NFL.

Cast a wide net with more picks, and use that practice squad to develop players (just another point to add here).  Hopefully the scouts get it right more often than not.

Generally speaking, I don't disagree.  However, the Bills are in a great position to make a super bowl run. Thus, they are in a win it all mode. All those picks in the lower rounds aren't likely to contribute to the win it all theme. Maybe, I'm wrong thinking that? I'd much rather have them trade up in rounds 1 to 3.  Personally, I'd love to see Sauce or Stingly in a Bills uniform. Unfortunately, I think the price is just too much. 

2 hours ago, mikemac2001 said:

We can still do that and get a couple of extra quality guys for when we get picked apart in FA 

let’s say picks 20-60 grade out similar I would rather have 4 in that range then 2 

That's fair. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Interesting I disagree with you on the edge guys, but agree with you strongly on the tackles.

I don't even have a first on Walker, I think his tape is really underwhelming and from what I hear it is not a case of "teams always loved him and the draft media just took time to catch up". From what I understand teams were still seeing him as a late day 1 guy when he lit up the combine. It is a case of people re-interpreting his tape through the prism of what they saw in Indy IMO. I still need someone to convince me there is a way for him to win on the edge in the NFL. If someone wants to sell me on him being a true 1st round grade (I have a high 2 on him, though he is in my top 32) then they have more chance if they want to make a case that he should be seen as a 3 tech than they do persuading me he can be dominant edge rusher. I feel you a bit on Hutch being overrated because when I put his film on I don't see a #1 overall player. But he ends up there or thereabouts in this class by default for me because I don't really see anyone worthy of #1 overall.

I have Neal OT3 too. Cross is the best tackle in this class. I started with tackles this year and I have felt this way since January. It does seem as though in the last couple of weeks the buzz around Cross as a potential top 5 pick has picked up so maybe he is a case of draft media lower than teams. I actually had Slater and Sewell very close last year. I loved Sewell, but I could see the argument for Slater too. Slater was better as a rookie, but Sewell came on really strong down the stretch (admittedly playing right tackle when Decker got healthy). I still think both of those guys are going to be cornerstones. I liken my view on Cross to my view on Tristan Wirfs two years ago when I had him as my #1 tackle and others were banging the drum for Thomas and Wills. 

As for the draft rumours I have heard in the last week from reasonably credible people:

1. Kenny Pickett will be the only Quarterback taken in round 1.

2. Kyler Gordon will be the first Washington corner off the board.

3. Tyler Linderbaum will not go day 1. 

No.  3 is really surprising.  I could see several teams trading back into rd 1 to get him. 

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

No player we take in the 1st round this year is going to be the difference between winning the Super Bowl in 2022 or not. Ideally they're the difference in 2023. It's going to be very hard for any rookie to make an impact on the Bills this year. We are in fact uniquely positioned to be patient letting Jameson Williams recover fully and at the very least get some designed touches in the playoffs. This year the 1st round talents that we need to step up are Oliver, Rousseau, and Edmunds.

We've been waiting for Edmunds to step it up for 4 years. Granted that's an over statement. However, it's pretty clear what Edmunds is. It's not like he's in year one or two. I doubt he plays much different than what we've seen. He's average and clearly not a game changer. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

We've been waiting for Edmunds to step it up for 4 years. Granted that's an over statement. However, it's pretty clear what Edmunds is. It's not like he's in year one or two. I doubt he plays much different than what we've seen. He's average and clearly not a game changer. 

im not in the re-sign him club, but theres zero reason he shouldnt look substantially better this year just from the DL in front of him. will be a great position for his succesor to step into in 2023, but i expect improved LBing play this year, even if he plays at the same level

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.