NFL Draft Rumors

HappyDays

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I swear we had this thread last year, to track all of the general rumors leading up to the draft.

Here's a few this week from Charlie Campbell who has been on point with the info he's put out before:

https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/2022-NFL-Draft-Week-Rumors-Monday

The note about Daxton Hill is the most intriguing to me. I thought he would be a strong candidate to be our pick at 25. But if he has concerns about his mental makeup he won't have a 1st round grade from Beane.

Hill was intriguing but that doesnt sound like a Buffalo type.  Could also be stuff ment to force him to fall to someone.  

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Two years in a row we've been connected to a speedy RB at the end of the 1st round. It almost feels intentional. The Jameson Williams love I could believe more. Beane will not be shy about trading up for him if he thinks he's a superstar.

If we really want Breece Hall I hope we plan to trade down with Seattle first. I can't get excited about him as our 1st rounder.

Hmm. But I actually think they did have Etienne very high last year. He himself said after the draft he thought he was going to Buffalo and then just last week Beane said "we have had running backs graded there [in the first round] in the past it just hasn't worked out." 

I am not saying they definitely would have picked him. I do think they loved Greg too. But I think it was possible this time last year to zero in on those two guys for the Bills. Let's say Jacksonville take Rousseau and the rest of the board falls the same.... I am convinced the Bills would have picked Etienne. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmm. But I actually think they did have Etienne very high last year. He himself said after the draft he thought he was going to Buffalo and then just last week Beane said "we have had running backs graded there [in the first round] in the past it just hasn't worked out." 

I am not saying they definitely would have picked him. I do think they loved Greg too. But I think it was possible this time last year to zero in on those two guys for the Bills. Let's say Jacksonville take Rousseau and the rest of the board falls the same.... I am convinced the Bills would have picked Etienne. 

I don’t think that’s the case, I remember watching Embedded and both the pre draft and draft day war room footage seemed clear Greg was their guy even before Etienne was drafted.  

I am sure there was real interest in Etienne as they believed Rousseau could go as high as 20 they said.  There’s even a clip early in the draft talking about looking at a trade up into that range.  

But, I think Etienne was behind Greg on their board and still would have been the pick even if both were available.  Beane is seen telling McD earlier in the draft that Rousseau is who they are looking at to bring some size and pass rush ability to the edge.  

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don’t think that’s the case, I remember watching Embedded and both the pre draft and draft day war room footage seemed clear Greg was their guy even before Etienne was drafted.  

I am sure there was real interest in Etienne as they believed Rousseau could go as high as 20 they said.  There’s even a clip early in the draft talking about looking at a trade up into that range.  

But, I think Etienne was behind Greg on their board and still would have been the pick even if both were available.  Beane is seen telling McD earlier in the draft that Rousseau is who they are looking at to bring some size and pass rush ability to the edge.  

Nothing you said there disagrees with what I said. 

I think Greg probably was the guy in event of a tie because of positional value. What I said was keep everything else the same and swap the Jags pick from Etienne to Rousseau and I am convinced in that scenario the Bills take Etienne. 

As for what they show in Embedded.... I mean you have to remember that is state sponsored propoganda. They no doubt have lots of conversations about different guys in the draft room. They aren't going to show the ones who end up somewhere else. They are gonna pump up the guys they pick. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Nothing you said there disagrees with what I said. 

I think Greg probably was the guy in event of a tie because of positional value. What I said was keep everything else the same and swap the Jags pick from Etienne to Rousseau and I am convinced in that scenario the Bills take Etienne. 

As for what they show in Embedded.... I mean you have to remember that is state sponsored propoganda. They no doubt have lots of conversations about different guys in the draft room. They aren't going to show the ones who end up somewhere else. They are gonna pump up the guys they pick. 

True, heavily edited publicity piece.

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

As with every team who drafts at the bottom of the 1st, they have a group of players with 1st rd grades who they think could be there at 25 and they would take at 25. They have those ranked on their board. I wouldn’t be surprised if Breece hall is in that group of 5-7 players. I would be surprised if he’s ranked toward the top of that group. Is he in the mix if their top choices aren’t there? Sound possible given all the buzz. I don’t think it’s a revelation that they would like him.  But I think he’s more in the mix for the Bills with a trade down or if he’s dropping in the 2nd. Of course if the guys they have ranked higher are all gone and they can’t trade down and feel there is a huge gap between him and the next RB they could just sit and take him 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

As with every team who drafts at the bottom of the 1st, they have a group of players with 1st rd grades who they think could be there at 25 and they would take at 25. They have those ranked on their board. I wouldn’t be surprised if Breece hall is in that group of 5-7 players. I would be surprised if he’s ranked toward the top of that group. Is he in the mix if their top choices aren’t there? Sound possible given all the buzz. I don’t think it’s a revelation that they would like him.  But I think he’s more in the mix for the Bills with a trade down or if he’s dropping in the 2nd. Of course if the guys they have ranked higher are all gone and they can’t trade down and feel there is a huge gap between him and the next RB they could just sit and take him 

Agree with all of this. There's also a lot of "sub-questions" that play into this...

• who else is on that board that's still available? 
  • what is their positional value?
  • what's the gap in value between those players (including Hall) and the next on our board at those positions? 
  • who's calling to move up and what are they offering?

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I am not saying Breece isn't on their board, he surely has to be given they have met with him.  

I do believe Etienne was last year, just saying I think Greg was who they were targeting and was higher on their board based on the footage I saw of the pre draft stuff they showed, but also the footage they showed of the war room during the draft.  If both were on the board, I think Greg was still their guy was my point.  That isn't meant to indicate anything about this year, solely commenting on who they had higher last year in Greg or Etienne.

4 hours ago, glazeduck said:

That's interesting. 

Not gonna lie, given our success in developing Josh, I wouldn't hate taking Willis at 25 purely as a developmental asset :D (not actually advocating for it, for the record...)

Very interesting! I can't see it, but if Buffalo felt confident enough to pull the trigger on it, I'd be pretty excited.

Huge "if" here... but IFFF Buffalo or some other team were to successfully roll this into multiple high picks in a year or two, it'd be very interesting to see it starts trend of sorts.

(Again no way I see it, but 3 days to kill. Interesting thought)

3 hours ago, Rico said:

Sheer insanity to burn #1 overall pick on a HMLP DE. I call it the Patulski Syndrome.

Hmlp?

Edited by BillsShredder83

7 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Very interesting! I can't see it, but if Buffalo felt confident enough to pull the trigger on it, I'd be pretty excited.

Huge if here... but IFFF Buffalo or some other team were to successfully roll this into multiple high picks in a year or two, it'd be very interesting to see it starts trend of sorts.

Hmlp?

High Motor Lunch Pailer

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Tough to decipher if this is smoke.

We run a tight ship and not much leaks anymore. Then again last year there was tons of smoke around a very similar back in Etienne. I personally don't feel like it's the best use of resources, but, it's def a sexy pick, and if we pull the trigger I trust our FO enough to be very excited about it.

Unlike every 1st rd rb we've taken, I know it would be calculated, and they'd have a helluva plan for him.... not a rush Brandon sell some tix move. Excited to see what we do, no matter what I'll be pretty damn excited 

This close to the draft I dont buy a lot of this

Hopefully bills scouts are going to go with their evaluations BEFORE the week of the draft and now allow this stuff to creep in.

This is not to say that its not ture....but the knock on Elam for example has always been that his tackling is sub par...that is not a new thing.

16 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Huge if here... but IFFF Buffalo or some other team were to successfully roll this into multiple high picks in a year or two, it'd be very interesting to see it starts trend of sorts.

Oh yeah... with a SB window you'd have to just HATE the way the board fell out and not have any reasonable offers to do something like that. The fun part, though, is he's such a high ceiling guy that if we really could develop him with Josh keeping us in the hunt, that could yield a massive return. But again, you'd have to be crazy to do that lol

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Two years in a row we've been connected to a speedy RB at the end of the 1st round. It almost feels intentional. The Jameson Williams love I could believe more. Beane will not be shy about trading up for him if he thinks he's a superstar.

If we really want Breece Hall I hope we plan to trade down with Seattle first. I can't get excited about him as our 1st rounder.

Sometimes the best lessons you can learn are from incompetent bosses.

I will believe Beane learned nothing from observing Dave Gettlenutz antiquated ways and uses a 1st round chip on a runnin'bak when I see it.

"Sounds like a smokescreen to me" is often draft-season-speak for "I don't like the rumor I'm hearing".

Yes, sometimes this stuff IS a smokescreen. Sometimes it's not. Very often, the more arduously one dislikes a given rumor, the more vehemently they will insist it's a smokescreen.

I wonder, for instance: If the rumor was that the Bills planned to stay put and take the best corner available, or, say, that they really like Andrew Booth...would people insist THAT'S a smokescreen, too? (Cue insistent "yes!" defenses here).

Draft season is too long. By the Monday of draft week, the arguments and counter arguments have all been made. The hay is in the barn. All that's left is kookiness.

Let it be Thursday night already...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.