Diggs Extended 4 more years breaking news per WGR 550

BillsPride12

9 hours ago, TPS said:

I'm sure Beane was just about to trade Diggs, but after Whaley's comment, he decided to extend him. At least that's how it happened in Twitter world.

Or as a Buffalo News columnist said this morning: "There was never a chance he (Diggs) was being shopped, contrary to whatever Doug Whaley thought. There’s a reason why he’s the former GM."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, notwoz said:

Or as a Buffalo News columnist said this morning: "There was never a chance he (Diggs) was being shopped, contrary to whatever Doug Whaley thought. There’s a reason why he’s the former GM."

Too be fair...Whaley was just asked a question about it.  He had no insight or knowledge other than what we all knew that our cap was tight.  And after seeing Chiefs trade Hill, Packers trade Adams, and Cowboys trade Cooper all for cap reasons due to large QB contracts, it wasn't really wrong to think its possible we may have to trade Diggs if he wants money similar to Hill or Adams.  

Whaley just taking heat here because of the timing and he is a former Bills GM.  Truth be told, Whaley was not a bad GM here, his major downfall was being forced to find a QB in an awful draft and then having the Pegulas over rule him to hire the train wreck that was Rex.  I mean most of Whaley did wrong was almost out of his control.  Cant find a franchise QB when none are available and he never wanted to hire Rex.

The one critical thing he did was trade up to get Sammy, but at the time it wasn't that crazy considering he was considered the best WR in the draft and Whaley needed to do something to help EJ if he was going to have a chance to develop.  Hindsight shows he should have taken Mack or stayed put and drafted one of the other WR's who had better careers out of that draft.  But none of that is known on draft night either.  

But I am enjoying the funny memes mocking his comment, the internet never fails to capitalize on poorly timed comments haha.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

God less Ralph Wilson, There would be no Bills without him. But lets face it, cheapo Ralph would NEVER in a billion years go on a spending free like this. I can't think of a better combo of NFL owners and management than what we have right here in our little NFL snow globe. Pegula's spending like the Yankees or Dodgers!! It's truly amazing. You don't even see the NFL heavyweights like Dallas, the Jersey teams, Chicago, Philly, Wash etc. (Maybe LA Rams are equal). Teams with full luxury boxes, and metro area's of 5M+. These truly are the best of times to be a Buffalo Bills fan.... No they just have to ring home the Lombardi!!     

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

And diggs strengths aren’t the type that erode early. He’s like a Marvin Harrison 

Always reminds me of Steve Smith. Smaller guy, quicker than fast, competes every snap.

Diggs is just better adjusted mentally and less of a potty mouth.

Smith played at a high level into his 30's.

That is my comparison.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Too be fair...Whaley was just asked a question about it.  He had no insight or knowledge other than what we all knew that our cap was tight.  And after seeing Chiefs trade Hill, Packers trade Adams, and Cowboys trade Cooper all for cap reasons due to large QB contracts, it wasn't really wrong to think its possible we may have to trade Diggs if he wants money similar to Hill or Adams.  

Whaley just taking heat here because of the timing and he is a former Bills GM.  Truth be told, Whaley was not a bad GM here, his major downfall was being forced to find a QB in an awful draft and then having the Pegulas over rule him to hire the train wreck that was Rex.  I mean most of Whaley did wrong was almost out of his control.  Cant find a franchise QB when none are available and he never wanted to hire Rex.

The one critical thing he did was trade up to get Sammy, but at the time it wasn't that crazy considering he was considered the best WR in the draft and Whaley needed to do something to help EJ if he was going to have a chance to develop.  Hindsight shows he should have taken Mack or stayed put and drafted one of the other WR's who had better careers out of that draft.  But none of that is known on draft night either.  

But I am enjoying the funny memes mocking his comment, the internet never fails to capitalize on poorly timed comments haha.  

Agree, Thought Marrone was also kind of forced on him too?? 

My take is he wasn't forceful enough to tell RB and the Pegulas, no, if you want Rex, then I'm done.  Seemed like he was too easy going of a guy.  Kind of had an attitude of OK, guess I'll have to figure out how to make this work, instead of saying no!  But hard to say I quit when only 32 of these jobs exist.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No, he was a bad GM while he was here.  It is clear to me he has an eye for talent, especially evaluating at the pro level.

But being a talent evaluator is not really enough.  GM's need to be the face of the franchise, and he failed almost completely at that.  There's a reason McDermott was handed charge of the franchise when he arrived.  Whaley's lack of a plan and poor performance as a GM behind closed doors mandated it.  Funny how the pecking order righted itself when Beane arrived.

I know people who met/are friends with Whaley and it sounds like he is a good guy.  I have nothing against him.  But you are simply judging him by draft picks and draft situations and that does not fully encompass the job.

Whaley goes on record predicting we have to trade Diggs while Beane locks him up for 6 years.  The disparity is crystal clear.  A good GM would respect all the possibilities and not just shoot off his mouth.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Always reminds me of Steve Smith. Smaller guy, quicker than fast, competes every snap.

That is my comparison.

Diggs should have less of a falloff as he ages than someone like tyreek hill imo.  Guess we’ll see 

1 hour ago, notwoz said:

Whaley would have been shopping him for sure. 

37 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

That is my comparison.

I'm not sure Patriot fans would agree with that

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I'm sorry but I didn't see, does this free up more cap space for us?

We don't know yet. We'll have to wait until his contract details are posted on Spotrac. People are assuming his cap number was changed for this season. But to me it's just as likely that his contract stays the same for the next two years and the new money is on the backend with a prorated signing bonus up front.

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We don't know yet. We'll have to wait until his contract details are posted on Spotrac. People are assuming his cap number was changed for this season. But to me it's just as likely that his contract stays the same for the next two years and the new money is on the backend with a prorated signing bonus up front.

While we don't know the true numbers, I'd say of course the cap hit is reduced for this year. That's why they did the deal now. Hasn't virtually every Bills restructure/extension resulted in a reduced cap for 2022?  The exact numbers? We'll have to wait for the deets. But expect a decent cap reduction for this year.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Glad this team is putting issues to bed going forward. 

The Allen extension.

Diggs extension. 
Stadium (with a lot of help from government).

Now what to do with Edmunds.

No, extending Diggs just opened up a can of new issues.

Players understand when free agents get paid...........but once you start re-doing players with years remaining on their deal and rewarding them as if that player is an actual free agent.........ie not "team friendly"...........then it's invariable that guys like Poyer/Hyde/Edmunds .........whose values are unlikely to ever be higher........are inevitably going to feel jealous or mistreated and angry with the team.    

None of those players should be extended any further than they are right now and they had peace on that front IMO because of the fact that Diggs deal was below market.

Said it many times this offseason.........you don't re-do Diggs deal until there is only one year left.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Dislike 4

4 minutes ago, The Dean said:

While we don't know the true numbers, I'd say of course the cap hit is reduced for this year. That's why they did the deal now. Hasn't virtually every Bills restructure/extension resulted in a reduced cap for 2022?  The exact numbers? We'll have to wait for the deets. But expect a decent cap reduction for this year.

I would wholeheartedly disagree that the Diggs extension was done now simply because they wanted cap space. It was done now because we want to keep him in the fold for years to come, keep him happy with all the other big deals that were handed out to WR's, and because he's wanted a new deal since the day we traded for him over two seasons ago. 

The signing has been billed as an "extension". Not a completely new deal. When we extended Josh, his contract stayed the same and the new numbers came in the extension. It's possible they reworked these two years, but it's not a given. Especially when you consider his number now isn't excessive in the grand scheme of top WR's.

• Like (+1) 1

So to be clear...there is no confirmation yet of more freed up cap space, just the assumption or speculation that it did?  And definitely no details about how much yet if it did lower the cap hit?  

Edited by Alphadawg7

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No, extending Diggs just opened up a can of new issues.

Players understand when free agents get paid...........but once you start re-doing players with years remaining on their deal and rewarding them as if that player is an actual free agent.........ie not "team friendly"...........then it's invariable that guys like Poyer/Hyde/Edmunds .........whose values are unlikely to ever be higher........are inevitably going to feel jealous or mistreated and angry with the team.   

FWIW, both Poyer and Hyde got new deals prior to free agency, when an argument could be made that they were grossly underpaid for performance.

So that would seem to be a case of pot-kettle-black

Rachel Bush was "going off" about Von Miller getting signed whilst her hubbykins wasn't being extended, well prior to the Diggs extension.  So I would say the "understanding" you speak of may be more perception than reality.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

FWIW, both Poyer and Hyde got new deals prior to free agency, when an argument could be made that they were grossly underpaid for performance.

So that would seem to be a case of pot-kettle-black

Also, it's been pointed out that Diggs didn't get a new contract when we traded for him just a restructure he's been due.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.