So whats left to do to free up cap?

That wont totally mess us up down the road?

Looking at the cap thread it looks like we are now really up against it (but Beane has done a great job so far)

When you have those unicorns on both sides of the ball (Allen on O, Miller on D) I realize that we are going to draft and play rookies because they are on cost controlled contracts.

Do we keep Ryan Bates?

Who is our slot receiver?

3 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I’m not advocating for this, but:

If they want to extend Edmunds, they could, in theory, lower his hit this year and push money down the road. 

I dont think Edmunds is a bad player but according to the cap thread he is cost 10 million towards our cap.......

If pick 25 went to a LB....I wouldnt like it at first but I would understand it

• Agree 1

You can convert players salaries for the year to a bonus.   But that pushes that cap down the road.   You can extend Diggs, Poyer and Edmunds.  You can cut a couple of guys but that just creates more holes.

If I was Beane I would not do any of that unless they can sign a guy who plays a lot this year

24 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

If they want to extend Edmunds, they could, in theory, lower his hit this year and push money down the road. 

Beane was specifically asked about Edmunds in his presser yesterday and said they would leave it "as it is".

He was more positive about possibly extending Diggs, saying it has to work for both sides but they would look at it "when the time is right".  But he also sounded like he was in no hurry.

It surprises me because when I looked at the Bills salary cap in February those were the two big tickets that struck me as where to get room, but that just shows why Beane is Beane and I don't work in a football FO

• Like (+1) 5

24 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont think Edmunds is a bad player but according to the cap thread he is cost 10 million towards our cap.......

If pick 25 went to a LB....I wouldnt like it at first but I would understand it

I think Edmunds could be elite being on the field with Von Miller, might be cheaper to extend him now

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, uticaclub said:

I think Edmunds could be elite being on the field with Von Miller, might be cheaper to extend him now

I feel like a decision needs to be made....we just dont have the cap to sit on it

Well we do but it would require other moves we dont have numbers on some of the guys we brought in and are at about 2 million which is not enough to sign our draft picks

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beane was specifically asked about Edmunds in his presser yesterday and said they would leave it "as it is".

He was more positive about possibly extending Diggs, saying it has to work for both sides but they would look at it "when the time is right".  But he also sounded like he was in no hurry.

It surprises me because when I looked at the Bills salary cap in February those were the two big tickets that struck me as where to get room, but that just shows why Beane is Beane and I don't work in a football FO

When they released Klien, I thought an Edmunds extension was imminent. I guess I was wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I feel like a decision needs to be made....we just dont have the cap to sit on it

Well we do but it would require other moves we dont have numbers on some of the guys we brought in and are at about 2 million which is not enough to sign our draft picks

2 mill should be fine for the rooks. Though as you may have been trying to say it might not be enough considering the unknown contracts

42 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Looking at the cap thread it looks like we are now really up against it (but Beane has done a great job so far)

When you have those unicorns on both sides of the ball (Allen on O, Miller on D) I realize that we are going to draft and play rookies because they are on cost controlled contracts.

Do we keep Ryan Bates?

I honestly have no idea what to expect next. Yes, I want to keep Bates but I learned a few years ago to just trust the process McBeane have installed. I’ve clicked on here as often these past 7 days as I did during the playoffs!

• Agree 2

also have to come up with cap to pay for the draft just over 6M 

Plus usual 2M that BBB (Big Baller Beano) likes to do annually, plus Bates, plus vet slot ?

Additionally, I think 1M of Keenum deal was paid for by the Browns yesterday in roster bonus so that helps

extensions...Diggs for sure, Edmunds, Poyer, Knox possbly as those 3 are in last years of contract.

1 minute ago, First Round Bust said:

Plus usual 2M that BBB (Big Baller Beano) likes to do annually, plus Bates, plus vet slot ?

Additionally, I think 1M of Keenum deal was paid for by the Browns yesterday in roster bonus so that helps

extensions...Diggs for sure, Edmunds, Poyer, Knox possbly as those 3 are in last years of contract.

I dont think we need 6 million to pay for the draft due to some of the later contracts not counting towards the cap.

1 minute ago, First Round Bust said:

Draft won’t cost 6 million.  Maybe 3 after the people get bumped in and out of the top 51

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Draft won’t cost 6 million.  Maybe 3 after the people get bumped in and out of the top 51

spotrac info below- sincewe usually keep the top 5 picks on the roster - they will hit the cap at around 5+ to 6M..pricey snot rookies

If we dont draft J Williams at 25 which is my only hope for keeping the pick, I trade down for a 2nd and 3rd - giving a 4th or 5th - I aint doing the cap math on conjecture just yet

image.thumb.png.61c6ecd6cbb3a328e2637aef758d94a4.png

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Do we keep Ryan Bates?

Who knows but Beane has always been good with the cap so I’m not concerned 

A ton! We need two each of the following: CB, OL and WR… and good ones too! Nothing beneath the fourth round as it stands now, imho…

Plus a RB and a P….

And if Bates signs elsewhere 3…. We’d need a starting RG, a good backup C/G, and a good swing tackle…. About a second and a fourth is what we need here.

Right now, Dane Jackson is our only outside corner really. We should want Dane back to the bench. First or second off the bench would be nice.

So, two good starting corners…. Yeesh!  A second and a third is what we need here (it would be higher but I really think McBeanne excels here.)

We have to replace both WRs Sanders and Beasley, imho….unless they feel OJ can replace one but that’s a big stretch right now, imho….We have to keep the number of good weapons high….We ran out of weapons in the playoffs two years ago and it was ugly…. I think we need to hit the position with like a first and a fourth…Really get a good one while Diggs is still around. Allen is our greatest weapon so we gotta give him the ammo needed.

So… I think we need to go back to FA…. Maybe get a G and a WR or CB….At least two more good players I think (before the draft).

Yikes! Are we going to cross all the boxes or depend on luck?

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

We can’t extend Edmunds because you don’t give a pay cut in an extension. We have to let Edmunds hit FA and see that the market just isn’t there for him. If someone does pay him 12 mill or more a year we say goodbye and get a third rounder in compensation the following year…..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

Could extend Diggs and Poyer.  Can also gain space by restructuring White and Dawkins.  That’s the remaining low hanging fruit.  Edmunds is the only other real possibility, but I think we are stuck with him this season unless a team gets stupid. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

2 mill should be fine for the rooks. Though as you may have been trying to say it might not be enough considering the unknown contracts

sportrac says we need about 9M to sign those 9 players.  (9M against the cap).  What is missing?  Do we count only the 1st rounder against the cap?

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Do we keep Ryan Bates?

McKenzie is our slot WR. Yet I'd love if we could add Jahan Dotson in the draft. 

3 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

They need about $6 million as it stands now.

3 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

You can convert players salaries for the year to a bonus.   But that pushes that cap down the road.   You can extend Diggs, Poyer and Edmunds.  You can cut a couple of guys but that just creates more holes.

If I was Beane I would not do any of that unless they can sign a guy who plays a lot this year

That's not necessarily a bad thing.  If they player plays out his contract, it's not big deal. Pushing Milano's cap hit over his contract won't hurt us. Same with Diggs when they do his.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

The Saints just cleared 80M without cutting a single player, don’t worry about the cap there are plenty of options. This is what you have to do when you’re in it to win it every season. 

You wanna be the Saints?  They are screwed for years.  They’ll be paying massive amounts of dead cap for years 

Edited by GolfandBills
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont think we need 6 million to pay for the draft due to some of the later contracts not counting towards the cap.

Think it's more than $2 mil but less than $6 mil, maybe in the $4.5 mil range??

3 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

spotrac info below- sincewe usually keep the top 5 picks on the roster - they will hit the cap at around 5+ to 6M..pricey snot rookies

If we dont draft J Williams at 25 which is my only hope for keeping the pick, I trade down for a 2nd and 3rd - giving a 4th or 5th - I aint doing the cap math on conjecture just yet

image.thumb.png.61c6ecd6cbb3a328e2637aef758d94a4.png

That's not exactly correct.  Until the final cut downs in September, only the top 51 plays salaries count towards the cap.  For a team picking at #25, likely means only the players selected in the 1st 4 rounds would factor in.  A player taken in the 5th round for example would have a salary below the 51st highest player so doesn't count.

Once final cutdowns occur, then the 53 players on the roster all count.  So assuming the Bills do keep 5 to 6 of their draft picks, that means 5 to 6 other players got cut, some likely with a higher salary the a 5th or 6th round draft pick.  So you can't just look at Spotrac and take the totals of the first 5 or 6 picks

Based on the number of players currently on the roster, it looks like the last 7 players or so on the roster won't count.  As more players are added the number not counting goes up.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GolfandBills said:

You wanna be the Saints?  They are screwed for years.  They’ll be paying massive amounts of dead cap for years 

Im not saying be the Saints I’m just saying the cap can and always is manipulated, this is what teams have to do unfortunately unless you have a rookie QB or no QB to pay. And I’ve been hearing for the past 5 years that New Orleans is screwed because of the cap and still waiting.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Think it's more than $2 mil but less than $6 mil, maybe in the $4.5 mil range??

That's not exactly correct.  Until the final cut downs in September, only the top 51 plays salaries count towards the cap.  For a team picking at #25, likely means only the players selected in the 1st 4 rounds would factor in.  A player taken in the 5th round for example would have a salary below the 51st highest player so doesn't count.

Once final cutdowns occur, then the 53 players on the roster all count.  So assuming the Bills do keep 5 to 6 of their draft picks, that means 5 to 6 other players got cut, some likely with a higher salary the a 5th or 6th round draft pick.  So you can't just look at Spotrac and take the totals of the first 5 or 6 picks

Based on the number of players currently on the roster, it looks like the last 7 players or so on the roster won't count.  As more players are added the number not counting goes up.

Thanks for explaining the rule of 51.

Let’s do the math with links below.
Pick 25 has a cap hit of 2.6 million and that bumps the 700k contract of tim Harris. Total 1.9 million

pick 57 has a cap hit of 1.17 million and that bumps the 825k contract of nick mccloud. Total 2.25 million

pick 89 has a cap hit of 960k and that bumps mike loves 830k contract. Total 2.38 million

pick 130 has a cap hit of 900k and that bumps tanner gentry’s 830k contract. Total 2.45 million. 
the remaining picks do not count against the 51 as you mention. 

so more than 2 million but not much more. This is why you don’t really hear there being much problem in signing draft classes because of cap space. 

Bills contracts

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

cap hits for draft picks 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/

@ganesh @klos63

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Based on Beane's presser the other day they are in no rush to extend Edmunds. For the first time I believe the Bills are actually wavering on whether to bring him back. My feeling is they have had an initial discussion with the agent and are miles apart on valuation. 

4 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

You only go to a Saints level of can kicking right at the end of a franchise QBs run. But you absolutely load up around Allen as much as you can at every stage. The Bills have been too cautious and passive the last two years in my view in terms of pursuing established talent. It was time to gamble a little and I am glad they have. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Im not saying be the Saints I’m just saying the cap can and always is manipulated, this is what teams have to do unfortunately unless you have a rookie QB or no QB to pay. And I’ve been hearing for the past 5 years that New Orleans is screwed because of the cap and still waiting.

and if you keep manipulating it you will be the Saints... in salary cap hell for years

Yeah we’re pretty dang loaded and deep in a lot of areas. Still have a rookie class to add. 
I think we’re basically done outside maybe some end of the roster low value depth guys. 
They’ll of course free up some more money for the rookies and possible in season emergency money but I don’t think we’re seeing any more starting quality free agents. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Yeah we’re pretty dang loaded and deep in a lot of areas. Still have a rookie class to add. 
I think we’re basically done outside maybe some end of the roster low value depth guys. 
They’ll of course free up some more money for the rookies and possible in season emergency money but I don’t think we’re seeing any more starting quality free agents. 

Still need a Punter -and preferably one who is excellent at holding for PK’s.

Edited by Chandler#81

13 hours ago, uticaclub said:

he could be.  but if you need a HOF player next to you, your not worth the money he will likely command/get due to potential.  A rookie or other FA may look elite next to Miller. 

Not a concern. All we need still in free agency is a veteran backup swing tackle, and then we're beautifully set for the draft. Eight picks to address six remaining roster spots: CB2, WR3/4, RB2, P, backup C/G, WR6/7

& I think they'll use a third rounder or so on an LB to replace Edmunds next year

1: WR

2: CB

3: LB

4: RB

5: OL

6: WR

6: P

7: luxury pick

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.