JD Mckissic to Bills 2 year, 7 million

BillsMafi$

I don’t think he’s a bad player, but surprised we are so far getting slower, generally 

will be the first to admit I overvalue speed… and not super stressed… but surprised we didn’t add any jets on either side yet.

22 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Don't know much about him.  But a nine yard gain following a checkdown pass on third and 15, is not really impressive.  I am curious what the situation stats look like

Or maybe, you know, just watch game video of him actually playing.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Interesting. I know nothing about him but stats are hardly inspiring.

And any signing like this makes signing of impactful DE less likely. 

I'll tell you what I think when FA ends :)

His RUNNING stats were paltry  , less than 10 carries a game and usually low yardage. So looks like a very limited third down type guy which is the same thing they have been doing which limits play action believability  really. Not all that impressed; wish they would just draft a complete back for once. This really could limit Moss in his role as well. . Add RB to the list of DL / edge specifically , to the positions Beane / Mcd have either drafted poorly or failed to develop adequately. Motor had that flash the last few games before really flaming out again when it counted against KC.  

Stafford tho is an amazing run / pass blocker.  Watched a breakdown of his game agaist the Bengals in 2020 and he was phenomenal!  He literally knocked over their rushing inside DT with one punch!  He made it to the second level all the time , drove guys OOB, and was never fooled by stunts as he picked up guys or passed them off flawlessly.  That left side should be money to run behind in crunch time,,,,,if they only had a consistently good back.  We all remember the last games and playoff when the o was unstoppable, but should not forget all the times the o went into several series of  stagnation and obviously failed in the one possession games they kept losing. I hope our new OC focuses a little more on the run game as a good change and to set up play action more effectively than Daboll, which was probably the source of the reported conflict between Mcd / dabs at times. The line should be good to run block now, we just need some talent and production from the backs. 

Losing Levi to the Steelers ( esp with that favorable contract ) just creates another hole that will force their hand in the draft unless they pick up cheap guys in FA which seems hard to believe they could do inexpensively at the same or better talent level.   I still wish they would breakdown and get a good back within the first three rounds ; look how the Steelers benefitted by taking a good back in the first round. This o could really be phenomenal with a talented back and having a great O line to protect Josh is negated if you keep running him so much because the backs were not dependable.  5 years of non production from the backs under Mcd / Beane seems like it’ should be time to try something a little different. 

• Disagree 2

4 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Nothing against Mckissic but his volume was merely a result of their bad offense. He caught a ton of passes at the line of scrimmage because of their lame quarterbacking. It's not like he was out running great routes. To his credit he did a good job with those opportunities.

And yet Terry McLaurin did just fine with that lame quarterbacking. You don't catch passes because of lame quarterbacking. You catch passes because the quarterback did his job. Very true the QBs there aren't great, but that doesn't make what the receivers there did less impressive. More impressive, if anything.

They brought him here because there will be plenty of the same kind of opportunities, when the rush gets there fast, when everyone's covered, when they're going on rhythm, etc. The question is whether he was productive, whether he made life easier for the QB. McKissic did, and he'll do the same thing an awful lot for Allen most likely.

This is a really nice little move.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

His RUNNING stats were paltry  , less than 10 carries a game and usually low yardage. So looks like a very limited third down type guy which is the same thing they have been doing which limits play action believability  really. Not all that impressed; wish they would just draft a complete back for once. This really could limit Moss in his role as well. . Add RB to the list of DL / edge specifically , to the positions Beane / Mcd have either drafted poorly or failed to develop adequately. Motor had that flash the last few games before really flaming out again when it counted against KC.  

Stafford tho is an amazing run / pass blocker.  Watched a breakdown of his game agaist the Bengals in 2020 and he was phenomenal!  He literally knocked over their rushing inside DT with one punch!  He made it to the second level all the time , drove guys OOB, and was never fooled by stunts as he picked up guys or passed them off flawlessly.  That left side should be money to run behind in crunch time,,,,,if they only had a consistently good back.  We all remember the last games and playoff when the o was unstoppable, but should not forget all the times the o went into several series of  stagnation and obviously failed in the one possession games they kept losing. I hope our new OC focuses a little more on the run game as a good change and to set up play action more effectively than Daboll, which was probably the source of the reported conflict between Mcd / dabs at times. The line should be good to run block now, we just need some talent and production from the backs. 

Losing Levi to the Steelers ( esp with that favorable contract ) just creates another hole that will force their hand in the draft unless they pick up cheap guys in FA which seems hard to believe they could do inexpensively at the same or better talent level.   I still wish they would breakdown and get a good back within the first three rounds ; look how the Steelers benefitted by taking a good back in the first round. This o could really be phenomenal with a talented back and having a great O line to protect Josh is negated if you keep running him so much because the backs were not dependable.  5 years of non production from the backs under Mcd / Beane seems like it’ should be time to try something a little different. 

In your world, 4.3 and 4.4 YPC the last two years is paltry? You live in kind of a weird world. When given a chance to run, he's been very productive.

And what makes him a "limited third down type guy"? The fact that he's a very successful third down guy? Who has been quite productive when asked to run and is an excellent pass blocker?

"5 years of non production from the backs under Mcd / Beane seems like it' should be time to try something a little different," you say? Good lord, that is a misguided take. The running game has had a lot of production in five years. Singletary's never had a year where he averaged less than 4.4 yards a carry.  And the offense has been top three the last two years. And you figuret that's time for a change? Yeah, well first, bringing in McKissic is a change, and as for larger changes, we have other far more urgent priorities.

Oh, and yeah, the Steelers really benefitted from drafting an RB early. They benefitted so much they vaulted down to become the 23rd best offense in the league!! Yeah, baby, our offense really has to learn to be more like that 23rd best Steelers group!!

Edited by Thurman#1

15 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

In your world, 4.3 and 4.4 YPC the last two years is paltry? You live in kind of a weird world. When given a chance to run, he's been very productive.

And what makes him a "limited third down type guy"? The fact that he's a very successful third down guy? Who has been quite productive when asked to ru and is an excellent pass blocker?

"5 years of non production from the backs under Mcd / Beane seems like it' should be time to try something a little different," you say? Good lord, that is a misguided take. The running game has had a lot of production in five years. Singletary's never had a year where he averaged less than 4.4 yards a carry.  And the offense has been top three the last two years. And you figuret that's time for a change? Yeah, well first, bringing in McKissic is a change, and as for larger changes, we have other far more urgent priorities.

Oh, and yeah, the Steelers really benefitted from drafting an RB early. They benefitted so much they vaulted down to become the 23rd best offense in the league!! Yeah, baby, our offense really has to learn to be more like that 23rd best Steelers group!!

To be fair, they were 25th in 2020, so 

😂

10 hours ago, ngbills said:

I am not as high on McKissic. Again not awful but Breida has the ability to be used this way and was not.

McKissic and Breida are pretty much nothing alike. For starters McKissic knows which side of the field he's supposed to be on.

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

And what makes him a "limited third down type guy"? The fact that he's a very successful third down guy? Who has been quite productive when asked to run and is an excellent pass blocker?

Look , a running game can only make up so much for a qb way past his prime,; you are usually smarter than that. Tell me you would have not liked to see Harris on the Bills , and he had 1200 yards rushing and 7 tds so compare that to our backs. Apples to apples buddy , not just throw out the whole offense with a failing Ben. So yes , any intelligent person would say their offense benefitted from him and would have been even more abysmal without him , and still managed to make the playoffs. If he can do that production against stacked lines and the d not fearing a Ben deep game any longer, imagine what he could do supporting and being supported with Josh and a great passing game. Look at the guys total yards was all I said exactly. Last year he always was used in a very limited fashion in the run game. I didn’t say he couldn’t be productive as a pass catcher , all I said was it would be nice to have a complete back and no one will argue he is a three down back.  Again , apples to apples and quit taking things out of context.  Yep a back with 1200 yards and 7 tds is a complete failure right ?  Laughable comments and can’t get past being such a fan boy that you want to think this guy is comparable to a back like Harris; dream on. 

( also see on this forum the Bills were interested in mccaffery  and Adam Caplan said the Panthers  were not interested in trades for him and our guy is “ a good passing down back ” .   He didn’t say he was a very good three down or complete back so I’m not the only person who can interpret yardage and stats. Try reading a little more in your world) 

Edited by DrPJax
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I got excited when I misread that we signed J. McKinnon.

It was disappointing to find out we signed Mckissic instead 

You should probably be more concerned that the letter S looks like the letter N to you.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In fairness Art Van Winkle is right that it is a lot of money for a 3rd down back. I say again we have to stop obsessing about having the deepest roster and start prioritising having the best team. 

When people say "how coud we have afforded Chandler Jones?" The answer is by not handing out the lower to mid tier deals to backups.

A 3rd down back was a huge need though. I was saying all last year a legit pass catching RB would be lethal in this offense with the way defenses were playing us. We ran the New England offense but without a James White-esque talent. We were moving the ball at will checking the ball down to Singletary at the end of the year and that's not even his skill set. McKissic is a huge addition and we know what we're getting from him.

I won't be disappointed that the Bills don't add Jones (or Hunter) until that actually happens. Beane isn't stupid enough to let an RB get in the way of a pass rusher. We have three DEs signed to the roster. A move is coming.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

The folks who think we lost the SB because we lost to the Chiefs are making wayyy too many assumptions. It's pretty disrespectful to a Bengals team that beat the Chiefs, who beat us, to think we would have walked all over them. It's even more disrespectful to a Rams team, who beat the Bengals, who beat the Chiefs, who beat us, to say the same.

We weren't  that close to winning the SB this year - at least not in any way that didn't require 2 ghost victories in addition to the Chiefs game.

Our loss to the Chiefs is undoubtedly because we had less difference makers. How could it not be? The game didn't need to come down to a single play. With better players on the defensive side of the ball we could have stopped them any number of times, but we didn't. We didn't have those players, so instead it came down to the smallest of margins. If we played that game 100 times, we definitely win some, but I don't think we're beating them over 50% of the time. They can simply do things we can't, as could the Bengals, as could the Rams.

Now, the Bengals holes were too great for them to overcome, but they still made it a 3 point game with a roster that wasn't anywhere near as complete.

Regarding "why don't the best teams win it every year", see my next post about the Pats dynasty.

Agree with the notion that the Bills would have won the Super Bowl comment. There are just too many unknown variables to say that. With that said, I would have liked the Bills chances at home vs Cinci. Allen was pretty much unstoppable and I see no reason to believe they would have stopped him in Orchard Park. Just my two cents. The Rams would have been a tough game to win. I kind of see the Bills edging them out. Point being it's just premature to say the Bills would have won the Super Bowl. However, they would have been clear favorites to beat Cinci and perhaps the Rams too. 

Of course the Bills need better players. Every team does; even teams that win a super bowl. All teams have holes. The single most important position is the QB. The Bills had the absolute best hands down QB in the playoffs. Better than Burrows, Mahomes, and Stafford. He was a one man wrecking crew that beat KC until the coaching staff blew it in 13 seconds. I would say that Allen was nothing short of Tom Brady like. We know how that story goes...So you can point the finger at lack of talent, playmakers, etc...There is merit to that rational. However, when you have Allen (aka Brady) you don't need much to get over the hump and hoist that Lombardi Trophy. Look how he made Davis (who I love) look like the best WR in history. Allen was on a mission and made everyone better. Oh what could have been...

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Steelers have a great runner. Their offense sucked because their Oline was weak and Ben's arm was shot. 

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

I like what I've seen of him but he's not the pile mover I was hoping for

He's a home run hitter something the Bills have lacked for years. The Bills haven't had a quality pass catching running back in forever if ever. To boot, he blocks well too. This is a nifty under the rug great signing. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Steelers have a great runner. Their offense sucked because their Oline was weak and Ben's arm was shot. 

Um, yeah, that's actually my point.

The guy I replied to made as if to say look at what great things happened when the Steelers drafted a runner. And nothing great happened to them. Their offense still sucked.

Agreed he's a very fine runner. But when you have a 1st round pick and a lot of holes, don't go for the RB in the 1st, even if he's really good. Same with the Chiefs. Edwards-Helaire is a good back, but he just didn't make a lot of difference there.

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

The guy I replied to made as if to say look at what great things happened when the Steelers drafted a runner. And nothing great happened to them. Their offense still sucked.

Agreed he's a very fine runner. But when you have a 1st round pick and a lot of holes, don't go for the RB in the 1st, even if he's really good. Same with the Chiefs. Edwards-Helaire is a good back, but he just didn't make a lot of difference there.

I agree except I'm not convinced Edwards-Helaire is a good back. He seems average to me especially on a loaded offensive team. 

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Edwards-Helaire is a pretty average back actually. There was an elite back in that class and it whould have been obvious to anyone with eyes who that was. Thank heavens the Chiefs missed on him can you imagine JT in that offense? 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Look , a running game can only make up so much for a qb way past his prime,; you are usually smarter than that. Tell me you would have not liked to see Harris on the Bills , and he had 1200 yards rushing and 7 tds so compare that to our backs. Apples to apples buddy , not just throw out the whole offense with a failing Ben. So yes , any intelligent person would say their offense benefitted from him and would have been even more abysmal without him , and still managed to make the playoffs. If he can do that production against stacked lines and the d not fearing a Ben deep game any longer, imagine what he could do supporting and being supported with Josh and a great passing game. Look at the guys total yards was all I said exactly. Last year he always was used in a very limited fashion in the run game. I didn’t say he couldn’t be productive as a pass catcher , all I said was it would be nice to have a complete back and no one will argue he is a three down back.  Again , apples to apples and quit taking things out of context.  Yep a back with 1200 yards and 7 tds is a complete failure right ?  Laughable comments and can’t get past being such a fan boy that you want to think this guy is comparable to a back like Harris; dream on. 

( also see on this forum the Bills were interested in mccaffery  and Adam Caplan said the Panthers  were not interested in trades for him and our guy is “ a good passing down back ” .   He didn’t say he was a very good three down or complete back so I’m not the only person who can interpret yardage and stats. Try reading a little more in your world) 

Puh-leeze.

You said, "look how the Steelers benefitted by taking a good back in the first round." That's what YOU said, not me. And the Steelers "benefitted" by going from the 25th best offense to 23rd. They "benefitted" by going all the way from 12-4 in 2020 to 9-7-1 in 2021.

That is a microscopic benefit.

Which makes the point. Don't pick an RB in the first when you have a lot of holes and are in a passing league.

You also seem to have some idea somewhere that I said that somebody (McKissic? Singletary? Somebody else?) is better than the Steelers guy. If you could real quick point out where i said that, I know I'd be thrilled. I don't think I did say that or anything like it. I did try to point out that picking an RB in the first when you have Allen on your team, are going to pass much more than you run, and already have a solid back from the 3rd round in Singletary ... is bad strategy. As would bringing in an expensive FA RB. There are better places to spend the money, places that give you more benefit.

And as for what your whole last paragraph, means or refers to, I have zero clue. I promise to read a bit more if you promise to write something with a clear apparent meaning. What stats are you talking about? You're saying I'm not the only one who can interpret yardage and stats and then not interpreting a single one. Completely unclear, the whole paragraph.

Edited by Thurman#1

13 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I agree except I'm not convinced Edwards-Helaire is a good back. He seems average to me especially on a loaded offensive team. 

4.4 YPC. He's absolutely good. On a team that had major OL problems his rookie year.

There's an argument he's not great, certainly. But he's good. Thing is, they're a passing team.

They didn't need a great back and must be kicking themselves for not bringing in an OL, a pass rusher opposite Clark that year or a safety. All areas they concentrated on in 2021's offseason, any of which could have been addressed with a really solid guy in place of Edwards-Helaire.

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Edwards-Helaire is a pretty average back actually. There was an elite back in that class and it whould have been obvious to anyone with eyes who that was. Thank heavens the Chiefs missed on him can you imagine JT in that offense? 

Not claiming he's elite. But average? Nah, don't think so. He's good.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I mean its like nobody here wants to say that defenses actually watch film on their opponents

If he were THAT easy to stop he wouldnt have gotten so much playing time and caught so many passes........its more like "We are gonna give you this because we know we can take the downfield away"

Now take that same back in THIS offense where they CANT take the downfield away......he should excel in this offense

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

Same, more $ than expected….but he has everything we need…..minus blazing speed of course.  The pass protection is HUGE imo.  He’s the best underneath rb available and teams love to give us the underneath easy stuff.  Now we should be able to make teams defend the underneath, which opens up the rest of the fields again.  I like the player, I hate the salary, but I love the fit in our O. Paying 1M over to get the guy that has everything we’re looking for is a sacrifice you sometimes have to make.  

I’m really excited to see what Dorsey has in store.  Def eager to see which WR/s we draft (I don’t expect us to sign any good WRs in FA) and who’s going to be our TE2. I think the way defenses are gearing up to stop the pass, I hope to build a powerhouse 12 personnel alignment to mix in with our 11.  Keep it multiple in 2022z

So one thing not talked about here is given the contract maybe the bills are not sold on motor maybe they don’t want motor to get complacent he did have a down your followed up with a solid year last year but maybe the bills were not satisfied with his production

12 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Haha no. No he isn’t. Think Kamara-lite. He was a Swiss-army weapon for the Team. Can even line up wide and run credible routes. This is the Bills screen game being built as we watch. Or a shell-killer as he releases to the flat or in the middle beyond the LOS.

Tremendous add. I didn’t even think this was possible. And he’s gonna be a fantasy monster.

Picks up the blitz to which means he can stay on the field which is another reason why Brieda couldn’t

Just now, John from Riverside said:

So one thing not talked about here is given the contract maybe the bills are not sold on motor maybe they don’t want motor to get complacent he did have a down your followed up with a solid year last year but maybe the bills were not satisfied with his production

Maybe they should have figured out that Moss is terrible and he should not have been getting equal touches to Singletary.  And maybe they should have figured out Bates was the best option at guard.  Singletary and the run game was more than adequate late in the year.  If Brown does not regress the OL looks on paper better than last year and they still may add a rookie interior guy.

12 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

JD McKissic absolutely sucks. Do people here ever watch football outside of Buffalo or do you just cheer any and every signing and move they make? $7 million for a 29 year old JAG journeyman. 

Yo mama

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Maybe they should have figured out that Moss is terrible and he should not have been getting equal touches to Singletary.  And maybe they should have figured out Bates was the best option at guard.  Singletary and the run game was more than adequate late in the year.  If Brown does not regress the OL looks on paper better than last year and they still may add a rookie interior guy.

We are a top-five team in the NFL whenever you’re winning you tend to not make too many changes I think the bills deserve credit for making the changes that they did even though they were winning

9 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

That’s who I was hoping for...speed, speed, and more speed, please!

We don’t know what we don’t know whenever it comes to contract negotiations with players McKinnon and his agent might be looking elsewhere and for more money

9 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Undrafted out of college, elusive but slow for his size (4.59 40). He was mostly used as a checkdown dumpoff at the line of scrimmage. This past season  his average depth of target was .4 yards, basically at the line. He was good with the ball in his hands, averaging over 8 yds after the catch. A good steady role player, but definitely not a dangerous weapon. 

So basically a first down Guy we need that

8 hours ago, The Dean said:

Or maybe, you know, just watch game video of him actually playing.

I realize you are just trolling here.  But you comment is a bit asinine.  A review of situational statistics would provide the answers more completely and efficiently. 

17 hours ago, NewEra said:

Same, more $ than expected….but he has everything we need…..minus blazing speed of course.  The pass protection is HUGE imo.  He’s the best underneath rb available and teams love to give us the underneath easy stuff.  Now we should be able to make teams defend the underneath, which opens up the rest of the fields again.  I like the player, I hate the salary, but I love the fit in our O. Paying 1M over to get the guy that has everything we’re looking for is a sacrifice you sometimes have to make.  

I’m really excited to see what Dorsey has in store.  Def eager to see which WR/s we draft (I don’t expect us to sign any good WRs in FA) and who’s going to be our TE2. I think the way defenses are gearing up to stop the pass, I hope to build a powerhouse 12 personnel alignment to mix in with our 11.  Keep it multiple in 2022z

Some folks wonder why we're signing another average RB when we have enough average RBs of our own.

But like some others, I see this differently.  We're adding an underneath threat to a team that needs an underneath threat.  Defenses like to go into a shell against us.  We need to be able to nickel-and-dime teams when the deeper stuff is well-covered by 5/6 DBs.

JD's is another weapon in the arsenal that we can pull out to add stress to the opposing defense.  But please note that when I call JD a "weapon," I'm not talking big artillery like a Thurman Thomas.  He's a small caliber weapon - but still very useful in the certain situations.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Picks up the blitz to which means he can stay on the field which is another reason why Brieda couldn’t

I don't think this regime will ever sign a running back long term. The will sign mid level guys on short term deals and draft guys in the third round and rinse and repeat. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

it's the goal, but you can't really expect it. The best you can expect is to be in contention most years. Winning it all takes a bit of luck in addition to being talented enough to do it.

You could argue that we aren't talented enough to do it yet, and that we'd require more luck than most to win. That's my particular stance. Beane needs to do more, McD needs to do more. If they got better and still didn't win it all, I wouldn't blame then though, and I'd let the band stay together forever. The New England Patriots went 10 years between Super Bowl wins with the greatest QB, Coach, and dynasty the game has ever seen - including with a team that went undefeated until they hit the wall in the SB.

Bingo… I’ll only add that if we don’t have a super bowl by the time McDermott’s deal is up… I’m all for turning elsewhere, I don’t want to turn Allen’s career into Marino’s.

• Like (+1) 1

While I hope the bills still try to draft a late round RB with lightning speed, I think alot of the posters on here that are against this signing are missing just how important a pass catching RB that can also pass block is. That dual ability is extremely helpful to a QB and a first time offensive coordinator.

He's not the big name home run hitter we all would like but there's a solid chance he helps josh adjust at the line in pass protection.

And to those saying he's brieda 2.0, josh and the bills had absolutely no trust in brieda for pass blocking, or even knowing the playbook.

• Like (+1) 1