Bills FA rumors thread

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

I may be in the minority but i hope the bills don't sign engram.

Knox is due for a contract extension which surely will put him over 10, engram is going to malke I am assuming at least 7 per?

Bills are predominately an 11 personnel team and that is Josh allen's bread and butter.

I don't want upwards of 20 million tied up to tight ends

Are or were? As Sal points out here, there's speculation that Dorsey wants to run more 12 personnel. If that's the case, then paying for two solid TEs makes sense.

Edited by junior

44 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Knox is due for a contract extension which surely will put him over 10, engram is going to malke I am assuming at least 7 per?

Bills are predominately an 11 personnel team and that is Josh allen's bread and butter.

That's the thing, I don't think they want to be a predominantly 11 personnel team. They obviously want to be as multiple as possible (be just as good, able to switch to 12 personnel when they want to or based on opponent, game situation, etc.). And, yes, Josh has been great with 11 personnel, but it's not like he couldn't also be successful with 12 personnel. It's not like we have seen him fail at that.

The way I am looking at it is McD wanted to be able to run the ball better, or be able to turn to the run game if needed and have it be effective. This was obviously one of the issues between McD/DaBoll as far as philosophy. Not saying Daboll wouldn't run, but he kind of had that New England with Brady mindset of using multiple backs, somewhat sparingly. Neither of our guys could ever seem to get in a rhythm that way. Look how Devin improved when they made him the lead back and called his number more often. Early last season there were definitely games where the anemic run game really hurt the team.

Of course, with Josh and the other dynamic weapons on this team, you don't want to just run an ordinary 12-personnel scheme and just pound the ball to get the run going, but sacrifice the threat of the passing game in the process. Josh is the man, no one wants to limit him. So, rather than a traditional blocking TE, you get another dynamic weapon TE. So, now when you go to 12-personnel, you improve the run game, but are still just as big a threat to pass (you are not removing a receiving threat from the field).

I don't think they will run 12-personnel exclusively ( I just think they want more balance), but when they do,  it would be pretty hard to defend. You could run the ball, having that extra blocker...or you could send Diggs, Davis, Knox, Engram, and even Singletary out (or keep Devin in to block). Lots of options, which would make it difficult for the defense to dissect. Looks like a run play, then five good receivers go out on a route, or whatever. Swapping in Engram for McKenzie or whoever would not be a drop off in the pass game, but hopefully could help the run game when needed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

We. are. NOT. trading. for. Christian McCaffrey. There is no way he's giving up picks AND big money for a RB when he's never done either and it's in his makeup to not to do either.

Not for a guy who has proven time and again he can't stay healthy. Not after Singletary ended the year looking the best he ever has being a primary ball carrier. Especially not when Cap Space is at a premium and there's so many other positions we have to fill that are more important.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We. are. NOT. trading. for. Christian McCaffrey. There is no way he's giving up picks AND big money for a RB when he's never done either and it's in his makeup to not to do either.

Not for a guy who has proven time and again he can't stay healthy. Not after Singletary ended the year looking the best he ever has being a primary ball carrier. Especially not when Cap Space is at a premium and there's so many other positions we have to fill that are more important.

I think we need to pin a thread that says CMC would ONLY cost $8M against the cap this year because people still mistakenly think his cap hit would be $17M.  CMC at $8M this year is an entirely different conversation than $17M.  Not to mention, just trading Beasley will free up most the cap space needed to absorb CMC.

Not saying we are going to do it, but so many people have this false narrative of what CMC would cost in trade against the cap.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think we need to pin a thread that says CMC would ONLY cost $8M against the cap this year because people still mistakenly think his cap hit would be $17M.  CMC at $8M this year is an entirely different conversation than $17M.  Not to mention, just trading Beasley will free up most the cap space needed to absorb CMC.

Not saying we are going to do it, but so many people have this false narrative of what CMC would cost in trade against the cap.

And it goes up to 12 every year after that for 2023, 2024, and 2025. Dead cap hit of 13 million if you want to move on from him after this season. 8 million in Dead Cap if you want to move on from him the season after that. Not a false narrative. You bring him on, you're paying a lot more than just 8.

Right now, we're using 4 million of our cap on the RB position between Singletary and Moss. Even 8 this year is double. Triple every year after that and that comes out of other positions. Not to mention, we have to give up premium picks to do it, which again, are needed at other positions that have bigger holes than RB.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, junior said:

Are or were? As Sal points out here, there's speculation that Dorsey wants to run more 12 personnel. If that's the case, then paying for two solid TEs makes sense.

Can someone point out to Sal it is "fewer" not "less". 

8 hours ago, folz said:

That's the thing, I don't think they want to be a predominantly 11 personnel team. They obviously want to be as multiple as possible (be just as good, able to switch to 12 personnel when they want to or based on opponent, game situation, etc.). And, yes, Josh has been great with 11 personnel, but it's not like he couldn't also be successful with 12 personnel. It's not like we have seen him fail at that.

The way I am looking at it is McD wanted to be able to run the ball better, or be able to turn to the run game if needed and have it be effective. This was obviously one of the issues between McD/DaBoll as far as philosophy. Not saying Daboll wouldn't run, but he kind of had that New England with Brady mindset of using multiple backs, somewhat sparingly. Neither of our guys could ever seem to get in a rhythm that way. Look how Devin improved when they made him the lead back and called his number more often. Early last season there were definitely games where the anemic run game really hurt the team.

Of course, with Josh and the other dynamic weapons on this team, you don't want to just run an ordinary 12-personnel scheme and just pound the ball to get the run going, but sacrifice the threat of the passing game in the process. Josh is the man, no one wants to limit him. So, rather than a traditional blocking TE, you get another dynamic weapon TE. So, now when you go to 12-personnel, you improve the run game, but are still just as big a threat to pass (you are not removing a receiving threat from the field).

I don't think they will run 12-personnel exclusively ( I just think they want more balance), but when they do,  it would be pretty hard to defend. You could run the ball, having that extra blocker...or you could send Diggs, Davis, Knox, Engram, and even Singletary out (or keep Devin in to block). Lots of options, which would make it difficult for the defense to dissect. Looks like a run play, then five good receivers go out on a route, or whatever. Swapping in Engram for McKenzie or whoever would not be a drop off in the pass game, but hopefully could help the run game when needed.

If you are running 12 personnel with Engram you are either:

1. Limiting your best tight end (Knox) by asking him to do the grunt work; 

or 

2. Not offering any threat to run the ball even from that formation cos Engram sucks as a blocker. 

There truly are not many FA deals this team could do that I'd hate. Evan Engram is one however. 🤢

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, SCBills said:

So, if this is true..

Chandler Jones

Fletcher Cox

Von Miller

Rob Gronkowski

Evan Engram

Danielle Hunter

Christian McCaffrey

Saquon Barkley

With Tommy boy coming back I would think Gronk stays with TB but who  knows.

8 hours ago, junior said:

Kromer's last two years in LA they also ran a ton of 2TE sets.

Knox being a true TE allows them the possibility of using Engram as hybrid TE/WR. Draft a 2nd day WR and your weapons are in a good place moving forward for a few years.

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There should be a pinned thread on how the salary cap works etc. That thread may wind up being longer than the infamous Zay Jones thread! 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

There should be a pinned thread on how the salary cap works etc. That thread may wind up being longer than the infamous Zay Jones thread! 

Yes, but will it rival the Jeremy Maclin thread? 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

And it goes up to 12 every year after that for 2023, 2024, and 2025. Dead cap hit of 13 million if you want to move on from him after this season. 8 million in Dead Cap if you want to move on from him the season after that. Not a false narrative. You bring him on, you're paying a lot more than just 8.

Right now, we're using 4 million of our cap on the RB position between Singletary and Moss. Even 8 this year is double. Triple every year after that and that comes out of other positions. Not to mention, we have to give up premium picks to do it, which again, are needed at other positions that have bigger holes than RB.

From what I’ve read, Bills could get out of it after next year if it wasn’t working out.  And we can always redo his deal as well, and I would suspect that if we did trade for him that discussion about that would be done before we did.

Personally I still think it’s more plausible we end up with Barkley.  But the CMC trade is more doable than people think.  

13 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

we no one has any clue what we are anymore.  Change is coming.  How much change?  We’ll find out

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, NewEra said:

we no one has any clue what we are anymore.  Change is coming.  How much change?  We’ll find out

Yup I agree. imo I think Allen will have more control also. Also to add, this may be a little bit of an advantage for us, especially early part of the season since opponents also will not know too

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hope not a lot is coming lol.

They were top 5 offences in back to back seasons. I think making a lot of changes would be a mistake.

Evolve, but don't change the bread and butter which is predominantly the 11 personnel and Josh throwing to receivers.

• Agree 1

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

I hope not a lot is coming lol.

They were top 5 offences in back to back seasons. I think making a lot of changes would be a mistake.

Evolve, but don't change the bread and butter which is predominantly the 11 personnel and Josh throwing to receivers.

I don't think it will be a LOT of changes, which is reason for promoting within along with getting Allen's insight. They will be just fine and it's something I for one have no concern about

17 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Does that space account for the $6 MM or so needed to sign draft picks? 

No. They will need about 5ish mil or less depending how the top 51 contracts play out.  They can likely get that by cutting guys who are likely to lose jobs in camp, etc, depending on how the draft goes.  Wouldn't worry about this.

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Honestly, I like our core group at WR. Diggs, Davis, McKenzie. I don't love Landry the human. I would prefer to use that money on starting OL, LB, or DE. 

And dont forget about Knox as a Receiving option. After those 4, there arent a lot of balls to go around. Although I'm not sure about McKenzie in the slot and would like to see a real slot WR brought in.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Honestly, I like our core group at WR. Diggs, Davis, McKenzie. I don't love Landry the human. I would prefer to use that money on starting OL, LB, or DE. 

Landry’s BFF went to LA from the Browns and won a SB. I’d take that. He’s definitely a good WR.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

And dont forget about Knox as a Receiving option. After those 4, there arent a lot of balls to go around. Although I'm not sure about McKenzie in the slot and would like to see a real slot WR brought in.

I get it. I think he has done enough to get a shot though. I don't think the risk of not getting a vet there is paramount when weighted against the cost. 

• Like (+1) 1

Landry is the type of guy you love on your team but hate when you play against him.  Was hit hit on Williams dirty, sure was.  Are we really to pretend that our players don't have any dirty hits either?  We need more WR depth and I'd take a tough, blocking, dependable short yardage guy for sure.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Mark80 said:

Landry is the type of guy you love on your team but hate when you play against him.  Was hit hit on Williams dirty, sure was.  Are we really to pretend that our players don't have any dirty hits either?  We need more WR depth and I'd take a tough, blocking, dependable short yardage guy for sure.

What made that hit especially damning - not that Landry was aware I’m sure - is that Aaron Williams was just coming off his neck injury the year prior. I held my breath when he was lying there on the field, he could’ve been paralyzed.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

What made that hit especially damning - not that Landry was aware I’m sure - is that Aaron Williams was just coming off his neck injury the year prior. I held my breath when he was lying there on the field, he could’ve been paralyzed.

Huge Aaron Williams fan. Strong player and a good guy

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.