Bills FA rumors thread

YoloinOhio

13 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Anyone know or see how the bills will create or save cap space in the coming weeks? Sounds like they need roughly $25M with all the “rumors”….

Joe Marino of LockedOn Bills did a great job on his Friday podcast of walking through how to get $38 mil in cap space. Another poster actually started a thread detailing the info. Nothing Joe did seemed outlandish or like it would put the Bills in cap hell anytime soon. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, babulator said:

I can't remember if we love or hate Star atm, but this would surely be an upgrade, yes? Maybe Beane can do some magical accounting and make this work :P

We can easily fit Fletcher Cox contract.   The team that hypothetically trades for him isn’t on the hook for much this year and next.  It’s the Eagles getting crushed with dead cap, which is why the issue here is they - most assuredly - want heavy compensation. 

They desperately need a talented young LB.   Seems if there was ever a trade partner for Edmunds, this might be the move in a player for player swap, but I’d be shocked if we trade him.  

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We can easily fit Fletcher Cox contract.   The team that hypothetically trades for him isn’t on the hook for much this year and next.  It’s the Eagles getting crushed with dead cap, which is why the issue here is they - most assuredly - want heavy compensation. 

They desperately need a talented young LB.   Seems if there was ever a trade partner for Edmunds, this might be the move in a player for player swap, but I’d be shocked if we trade him.  

Imagine a team trading one of their franchises best players ever while taking on 40M in dead cap so they can acquire a pretty good off ball LB.  Idk

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Imagine a team trading one of their franchises best players ever while taking on 40M in dead cap so they can acquire a pretty good off ball LB.  Idk

Again, I highly doubt we’re trading him, but this is a situation that makes sense.. depending on how they feel about Edmunds.  

We get an elite DT on the back end of his career, while a team on the rebuild gets a young high potential linebacker.  

Despite what we think about him, there are coaches that love him.  Saleh, for instance, gushes praise for Edmunds.  

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Hyde was 2nd team. Poyer was the 1st teamer. 

In which case the Bills should move heaven and earth to sign him next spring. 

Yeah I saw that.a few minutes after I posted but people had already reacted to it and it felt dishonest to change it after, you're correct of course

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Again, I highly doubt we’re trading him, but this is a situation that makes sense.. depending on how they feel about Edmunds.  

We get an elite DT on the back end of his career, while a team on the rebuild gets a young high potential linebacker.  

Despite what we think about him, there are coaches that love him.  Saleh, for instance, gushes praise for Edmunds.  

Yeah, it’s a great trade for Buffalo.  But 40M in dead cap….to acquire an off ball LB in the last year of his deal when they could just sign a FA.  Idk, doesn’t make much sense for Philly unless they think Edmunds is the second coming or Urlacher. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, babulator said:

I can't remember if we love or hate Star atm, but this would surely be an upgrade, yes? Maybe Beane can do some magical accounting and make this work :P

No need for magical accounting - cox’s cap hit would be <$5m to acquiring team. One of the reasons the price to acquire will be a ton

29 minutes ago, NewEra said:

For whatever reason, Edmunds is viewed a lot better around the league than he is on this board. Scouts/gms vs Monday morning qbs - I’ll side with the former

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

No need for magical accounting - cox’s cap hit would be <$5m to acquiring team. One of the reasons the price to acquire will be a ton

For whatever reason, Edmunds is viewed a lot better around the league than he is on this board. Scouts/gms vs Monday morning qbs - I’ll side with the former

i don’t know how edmunds is viewed by scouts and GMs.  Not sure how anyone here really would. Sure, scouts/HCs/GMs have made nice comments about Edmunds….. but have you ever heard an scout/HC/GM say something bad about an opposing player?  There’s no benefit in saying something like that.  It would just be locker room material to get the opposition pumped.  

we’ll just wait and see if Cox gets traded for edmunds.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

i don’t know how edmunds is viewed by scouts and GMs.  Not sure how anyone here really would. Sure, scouts/HCs/GMs have made nice comments about Edmunds….. but have you ever heard an scout/HC/GM say something bad about an opposing player?  There’s no benefit in saying something like that.  It would just be locker room material to get the opposition pumped.  

we’ll just wait and see if Cox gets traded for edmunds.  

Point well taken

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Edmunds is also a pretty good scheme fit there. They run a very similar defense to us. I expect they to draft Lloyd in April if he gets to them, so that type of freakish, long, MLB is definitely a need for them. 

EDIT: Not that I think this trade would happen.... but just in terms of playing along. 

Edited by GunnerBill

27 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Cover 1 explains Edmunds best. 

Simply put, he's one if the best pass protection MLBs in the game. It's not just what he does, but how much coaches change their offensive gameplan to account for him. He makes playing defense easier on the rest of the team. 

Fans have difficulty focusing on what is NOT happening because of Edmunds and can only see what IS happening. In which case it can be inconsistent. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

All GMs/scouts say that ****. Unless the player is a total dirtbag they gotta appear civil cause they move around a lot too.

15 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Simply put, he's one if the best pass protection MLBs in the game. It's not just what he does, but how much coaches change their offensive gameplan to account for him. He makes playing defense easier on the rest of the team. 

Fans have difficulty focusing on what is NOT happening because of Edmunds and can only see what IS happening. In which case it can be inconsistent. 

I do think we’re too hard on Edmunds.  He’s a very unique and intriguing player.  There’s certainly a reason coaches, ours and others, gush over him, while fans like me get frustrated.  

That being said… I don’t care what our defense does to Davis Mills in the regular season.   I care what they do to top teams and in the Playoffs.  

Indy ‘21, they were trash 

KC ‘21, they were trash

KC ‘22, they were trash 

We need more playmakers.  Fletcher Cox, Chandler Jones, Danielle Hunter types.  

All I see on the defense are a bunch of above average players on above average contracts who give us an above average defense that doesn’t stand up in big moments.  

We need impact players.  Hard to do that when we keep paying rotational pieces, depth, above average guys and guys who “are really good, trust me, you just can’t see it..”. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I do think we’re too hard on Edmunds.  He’s a very unique and intriguing player.  There’s certainly a reason coaches, our and others, gush over him, while fans like me get frustrated.  

That being said… I don’t care what our defense does to Davis Mills in the regular season.   I care what they do to top teams and in the Playoffs.  

Indy ‘21, they were trash 

KC ‘21, they were trash

KC ‘22, they were trash 

We need more playmakers.  Fletcher Cox, Chandler Jones, Danielle Hunter types.  

All I see on the defense are a bunch of above average players on above average contracts who give us an above average defense that doesn’t stand up in big moments.  

We need impact players.  Hard to do that when we keep paying rotational pieces, depth, above average guys and guys who “are really good, trust me, you just can’t see it..”. 

Remember in Forrest Gump when that dude said "you said it all man"? Well, that just happened.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I do think we’re too hard on Edmunds.  

I think the fact that he wasn't extended after his 3rd season indicates the Bills aren't actually satisfied with his play.     They might be in enough of a cap bind where they'd extend him at the right price to save some cap room now.....but if they were as happy with his play as some seem to think he'd be on a 5 year $90M deal right now.    

Beane's "I know the fans are down on Tremaine.......but I'm not in that camp" comment was the lowest of praise and quite comical. :lol:

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

I run hot and cold for Tremaine. I love the athleticism, youth, length etc. I hate his run fits. But to your point, teams have to do some really clever stuff over the middle of the field to attack him. And while it seems like he is getting toasted on some of those plays, there are other linebackers who would be nowhere near the play. Like at all. So in our minds its like “look Tremaine, you are right there, 1 step behind, what the hell are you doing?” At the same time, some other linebackers in the league aren’t even in the frame so it does not seem like it is “their fault.” He is always around the play, and around plays that other guys wouldn’t be near, and that is why he always look like he is half a step late on things. Thats my opinion. I don’t know how the front office really feels about him but I trust them. They won’t re-sign him if they really feel there are flaws in his game. 

Now I absolutely love Brandon Smith from Penn State. Very similar measurables to Maine. He is shorter, so a bit thicker, but actually has a longer wingspan and is a freak as well, with better instincts playing downhill.   If we are looking for a replacement, he should be the guy. Nothing wring with taking another swing at this type of player. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.