What type of Offense will Ken Dorsey bring?

bubba2018

Just now, recovery96 said:

Will it be similar to Daboll or do you think he will bring a whole new approach? Just curious on everyone’s thoughts.

I think the expectation is that they will basically keep doing what they’ve been doing, with a few twists added. I know Josh wanted him, and I think the general continuity is one of the reasons. 

2 minutes ago, recovery96 said:

Will it be similar to Daboll or do you think he will bring a whole new approach? Just curious on everyone’s thoughts.

Keep what works, fix what doesn’t. Personally, I’d like to see far fewer Allen designed runs. I get that the guy is a freak, but a body can only take so much. Hate to see him washed sooner than necessary.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

Buffalo News article this morning.  Josh wanted continuity.  Same language, same plays.  Kind of not reinventing the wheel.  Josh expects some of the same with nuances based on Dorsey’s style.  Expects Joe Brady to have input also.

Article.  Has a paywall.  

Edited by davefan66

I'm guessing it'll be very similar. The changes will come up front with Aaron Kromer. I'm interested to see what happens there.

Josh Allen is going to basically control the offense though. He's likely to have even more say in what they do offensively.

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Hopefully lots of 3WR sets with some 2TE sets mixed in.

What tight ends? We have 1.

Something I've wanted since Allen and daboll got here was to see more no huddle the way new England ran it with Brady. Also, while we probably need to add a better running back than moss, I have no desire to run the ball more or have some kind of elite running game. For 17 years during the drought, we watched this team run way too much and have little success (from a win standpoint). It's a passing league and I do not want to see this current bills team go backwards. Our best running threat is Allen and it should stay that way 

Edited by Steptide

I think he'll use a slightly more balanced attack pass vs rush like we were using towards the end of the season where Singletary started looking real good.

Hopefully he'll rip the page out of Daboll's book on the plays called in the red zone. He knows what plays were effective and which weren't and he'll burn those plays as well.

Dorsey has probably been drawing up plays since he was a kid playing in his backyard, we'll see some of his favorites, probably some of Josh's ideas too.

14 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

I think slightly more running plays in percentage of plays, but less QB designed runs.  

With Kromer a few more screens added in.  

Well said.  Josh can turn it up when it really counts.  A well executed screen game will give Josh another big weapon.

Josh said on radio row this week that being able to go into another season with a system he is used to is huge.  So I took that to mean they will keep most of Dabolls stay intact because of the success and familiarity Josh has with it.  I am sure Dorsey will toss in some wrinkles to make it his own though.  

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'm guessing it'll be very similar. The changes will come up front with Aaron Kromer. I'm interested to see what happens there.

Josh Allen is going to basically control the offense though. He's likely to have even more say in what they do offensively.

Yes, you are correct.  We currently have 1.  I suppose free agency and the draft doesn’t exist in your world.  They exist in mine and I’d like to add another solid TE that can block and catch

The concepts employed in the offense will be kept and expanded on with probably a few wrinkles thrown in by Dorsey. That’s a huge part of why they wanted to retain Dorsey and promote him. A whole new approach makes little sense with the success they’ve had on offense the last 2 seasons. The Bills are playing championship level football and don’t want the setbacks that could occur when installing a new system. 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Yes, you are correct.  We currently have 1.  I suppose free agency and the draft doesn’t exist in your world.  They exist in mine and I’d like to add another solid TE that can block and catch

My point is what type of 2nd TE are we talking about free agency wise? You're spending a high pick on a TE? You'd have to spend some major assets on a TE to run more 2 TE sets.

We need more play designs with routes that allow for YAC. I think we were last in the league in that, with all of our air yards being Josh’s arm. Obviously we want to keep the bread and butter but a screen game along with some quick slant type routes will allow our receivers to catch and run instead of catch and fall down or go out of bounds.

I'm good with zero Allen designed runs against the Jets, but have him run as much as you need to in the playoffs.

It is not that I am worried about him in any particular game, but why not save some wear and tear, if possible.  I do think Allen is very different than Cam Newton.  I remember Cam getting absolutely SHELLACKED sometimes.  That only rarely happens to Allen.  Part of that is the rule changes.  I remember Cam getting a lot of lowered helmet on helmet hits and that has been greatly reduced in the game.  The other part is that Allen seems to have a way of turning what could have been devastating blows into normal hard tackles.

Hopefully we will see a quicker response to making adjustments.

Imho, the Bills coaches generally, have stuck too rigidly to their gameplans for individual games.

When they get things right, we win comfortably. When they don't, it seems to me as though they don't switch things up quick enough.

There aren't enough 'plan B's ' around, for when their predicted outcomes don't happen.

Other than that, I expect better balance between the run and pass, although we are still going to be predominately a passing team.

I like the addition/change to Kromer, and with them finally finding a serviceable O-Line, I believe we will see this.

Unless we sign someone at WR, I don't think you will see much in the way of additional YAC. McKenzie aside, our guys are TDs or chain movers, and the play designs have largely reflected that.

I don't think we have a WR (assuming McKenzie goes) that has the short area burst you need to get more YAC.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Ertz is a FA!

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

I'm good with zero Allen designed runs against the Jets, but have him run as much as you need to in the playoffs.

It is not that I am worried about him in any particular game, but why not save some wear and tear, if possible.  I do think Allen is very different than Cam Newton.  I remember Cam getting absolutely SHELLACKED sometimes.  That only rarely happens to Allen.  Part of that is the rule changes.  I remember Cam getting a lot of lowered helmet on helmet hits and that has been greatly reduced in the game.  The other part is that Allen seems to have a way of turning what could have been devastating blows into normal hard tackles.

Allen is a more athletic, aware, and smarter runner than Cam ever was

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

Something I've wanted since Allen and daboll got here was to see more no huddle the way new England ran it with Brady. Also, while we probably need to add a better running back than moss, I have no desire to run the ball more or have some kind of elite running game. For 17 years during the drought, we watched this team run way too much and have little success (from a win standpoint). It's a passing league and I do not want to see this current bills team go backwards. Our best running threat is Allen and it should stay that way 

Let’s not assume Josh’ body is going to hold up from continuing to run so much. Eventually all those hits add up. I have no issues when he scrambles and gets out of bounds or slides, but he shouldn’t be taking as much contact as he does.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beerball said:

Keep what works, fix what doesn’t. Personally, I’d like to see far fewer Allen designed runs. I get that the guy is a freak, but a body can only take so much. Hate to see him washed sooner than necessary.

Yes, be cautious during the regular season, but open up the playbook come playoff time.

4 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Buffalo News article this morning.  Josh wanted continuity.  Same language, same plays.  Kind of not reinventing the wheel.  Josh expects some of the same with nuances based on Dorsey’s style.  Expects Joe Brady to have input also.

Article.  Has a paywall.  

Sucks you can’t even hardly read anything now on here… Just about everything is locked…. These**** money hungry news paper ***** they can all get*****

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

My point is what type of 2nd TE are we talking about free agency wise? You're spending a high pick on a TE? You'd have to spend some major assets on a TE to run more 2 TE sets.

No man…..I don’t want to spend a high pick on on TE..

this is one of the silliest posts I’ve seen in 21 years on the site.  We’d have to spend MAJOR ASSETS to get a TE2?  Wth are you talking about?  Seriously not even worth discussing such a stupid comment.  No offense

5 hours ago, Steptide said:

While I agree with you that (sadly) Allen is our best running threat, count me amongst those who would like to see less designed QB runs.

Look, Allen is a freak of nature, an anomaly, a unicorn.  I adore his skill set, and to be honest, it's clearly evident that Josh devotes himself to improving his running every year with the same passion and vigor that he does improving his passing.  But IMO, it's not sustainable.  Daboll at times rode Allen's legs too far, and there was one reason for me to be happy to see him go, that was it.  In 2022, I'd LOVE to see Allen's designed QB runs decreased significantly.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.