Giants are hiring Don "Wink" Martindale as their DC

Greg S

Love this move for Schoen and Daboll and it shows they are looking to run the exact opposite type of defense in NY than in Buffalo.

Obviously it will only work if they have the right players in the front seven and still think this might be the best opportunity to trade Edmunds assuming they want him.

• Eyeroll 5

20 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Giants staff is definitely already an upgrade over last year. Although that shouldnt be hard to do.

I stopped following after we landed Dorsey. Did they get an OC yet?

Yup. They poached Mike Kafka from KC. IMO is a great hire. I had wanted him here if they weren't going with or had lost Dorsey.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Dude leaves his corners on an island ALOT it works ok if you have a shutdown guy but man he gets burned a ton could also mean the Giants are targeting Darrel Stingley in the draft 

Hasn't Darryl Stingley suffered enough?

• Haha (+1) 5

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Love this move for Schoen and Daboll and it shows they are looking to run the exact opposite type of defense in NY than in Buffalo.

Obviously it will only work if they have the right players in the front seven and still think this might be the best opportunity to trade Edmunds assuming they want him.

Why would the Giants want Edmunds?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Dude leaves his corners on an island ALOT it works ok if you have a shutdown guy but man he gets burned a ton could also mean the Giants are targeting Darrel Stingley in the draft 

Ahmad Gardner. Book it. He is the absolute perfect profile of a Wink Martindale corner. 

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This enhances that James Bradberry conversation. He is a zone corner, for the most part. If he was on the "possible cuts" list already, I think this moves the needle closer to cut. 

Yea. Agreed.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

Good hire. Made chicken salad out of chicken sh!t with the injuries to Baltimore last year.

Kevon Seymour was starting at CB last year for them!

Didn't they have one of the worst Ds last year?  Wouldn't call that chicken salad

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

(20) Adam Schefter on Twitter: "Giants are finalizing a deal to hire former Ravens’ defensive coordinator Wink Martindale as their new defensive coordinator, per source." / Twitter

In the thread on his firing, some people were claiming Martindale's defensive style is outdated in the modern NFL (I think that might have been Gunner; @GunnerBill, was that you?). 

The Ravens have had the #2 or #3 defense 3 out of 4 years that Martindale was DC, and Daboll's offense particularly seemed to struggle against them.

This past season, they were uncharacteristically poor, but their offense went from 9th to 25th on turnovers given up (may have something to do with it) and I believe they had a ***** ton of injuries as well as losing Judon.

The Broncos had the #32 defense in the league the year Martindale was DC under Josh McDaniels.

Guess we'll see.

I think it's a good choice for Daboll in that Martindale has good experience as DC on a perennial contending organization, so Daboll should be able to sketch a general outline of what he wants as far as game management and turn him loose.  Daboll has hired a smart but inexperienced OC so hiring Martindale should free him to focus more on the offense.

It's an interesting choice because normally HC's tend to hire OCs and DCs they've worked with but I can't find any prior connection between Martindale and Daboll.

Kafka was a PS QB with the Pats in 2013 when Daboll was TE coach, all I can find there.

13 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Didn't they have one of the worst Ds last year?  Wouldn't call that chicken salad

19th.  Not up to their usual standard, but not worst, either.

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Giants staff is definitely already an upgrade over last year. Although that shouldnt be hard to do.

I stopped following after we landed Dorsey. Did they get an OC yet?

Yes, they hired Mike Kafka, the QB coach and passing game coordinator for the Chiefs.

If it weakens the Chiefs I'm For It!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In the thread on his firing, some people were claiming Martindale's defensive style is outdated in the modern NFL (I think that might have been Gunner; @GunnerBill, was that you?). 

The Ravens have had the #2 or #3 defense 3 out of 4 years that Martindale was DC, and Daboll's offense particularly seemed to struggle against them.

This past season, they were uncharacteristically poor, but their offense went from 9th to 25th on turnovers given up (may have something to do with it) and I believe they had a ***** ton of injuries as well as losing Judon.

The Broncos had the #32 defense in the league the year Martindale was DC under Josh McDaniels.

Guess we'll see.

I think it's a good choice for Daboll in that Martindale has good experience as DC on a perennial contending organization, so Daboll should be able to sketch a general outline of what he wants as far as game management and turn him loose.  Daboll has hired a smart but inexperienced OC so hiring Martindale should free him to focus more on the offense.

It's an interesting choice because normally HC's tend to hire OCs and DCs they've worked with but I can't find any prior connection between Martindale and Daboll.

Kafka was a PS QB with the Pats in 2013 when Daboll was TE coach, all I can find there.

19th.  Not up to their usual standard, but not worst, either.

Yea I do think schematically it is quite outdated. I still think Wink can coach, I just don't think heavy blitz reliant schemes are really the way to play defense in the modern NFL. 

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I do think schematically it is quite outdated. I still think Wink can coach, I just don't think heavy blitz reliant schemes are really the way to play defense in the modern NFL. 

The NFL is still all about cycles and while I agree in theory that heavy blitzing can be a recipe for disaster against QB's that know how to beat them, the overall theme in any modern NFL scheme is having a capable pass rush with your front 3 or 4 so you aren't blitzing like crazy or when you do blitz you are either forcing an incompletion, getting a turnover, sack, etc more times than not.

This is why Baltimore was very successful prior to 2021 before they were hit by injuries and also some some of their key players depart in free agency like Judon who transformed the Pats defense big time this year before tailing off late in the season.

Either way I'd take Martindale's defense anyday over a whatever exactly you call McDermott and Fraziers's defense that has been the main reason we've failed to advance in the postseason the last few years and will likely be the same story again in 2022 as long as we have to face the Chiefs and other teams with elite QB's.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

The NFL is still all about cycles and while I agree in theory that heavy blitzing can be a recipe for disaster against QB's that know how to beat them, the overall theme in any modern NFL scheme is having a capable pass rush with your front 3 or 4 so you aren't blitzing like crazy or when you do blitz you are either forcing an incompletion, getting a turnover, sack, etc more times than not.

This is why Baltimore was very successful prior to 2021 before they were hit by injuries and also some some of their key players depart in free agency like Judon who transformed the Pats defense big time this year before tailing off late in the season.

Either way I'd take Martindale's defense anyday over a whatever exactly you call McDermott and Fraziers's defense that has been the main reason we've failed to advance in the postseason the last few years and will likely be the same story again in 2022 as long as we have to face the Chiefs and other teams with elite QB's.

I could not disagree more with this. Baltimore's defense has been good in past years because they had two top end corners who could play man. As soon as they were hurt it collapsed. Finding two top end corners who can play man in this league and being able to afford to keep them for any length of time is unsustainable. 

The most sustainable and efficient way to play defense in the NFL in this era is to keep the game in front of you, to make offenses execute perfect long drives to beat you and to be good on 3rd down. 

You can play the other way for short periods and be successful. But it is much harder to sustain for multiple years. 

McDermott is a top 3 defensive mind in the league. It is about tweaks to what we do not radical overhaul. 

Edit: the one bit of it I do agree with is in this NFL you have to be capable of winning with 4. The Bills did that a lot this year. Unfortunately their pressure to conversion rate was among the lowest in the league for the second year running. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Greg S said:

(20) Adam Schefter on Twitter: "Giants are finalizing a deal to hire former Ravens’ defensive coordinator Wink Martindale as their new defensive coordinator, per source." / Twitter

Cool, now we can watch Collinsworth continue to fellate him on Sunday Night Football more.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

We don't play the Giants next year so they would be doing it in NJ

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.