YOUR choice for OC and WHY

BuffaloBillyG

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

True. But most here assert that idea only exists with external hires.

I mean, who knows? Just because a guy was a good position coach for the KC Chiefs, or some other random team that has a great offense, doesn't mean they will come into a new surrounding, with more responsibility, and do well.

Just like we don't know if someone promoted from within will. I'd just strongly advocate for an internal hire if a candidate exists for obvious reasons.

Just now, Beast said:

I mean, who knows? Just because a guy was a good position coach for the KC Chiefs, or some other random team that has a great offense, doesn't mean they will come into a new surrounding, with more responsibility, and do well.

Just like we don't know if someone promoted from within will. I'd just strongly advocate for an internal hire if a candidate exists for obvious reasons.

I agree. Just like there's no guarentee that a position coach from within will step into a new position with Morse responsibility and do well. It's a 100% crapshoot either way. 

Issue is that so many here are 100% closed off to an external hire that if it's not Dorsey (or Hall) named people will freak out. I think looking outside and comparing what you already have on staff is the most effective way to make surs the guys you name is the right guy...not just the hot name of the one you already knew.

Cast a wide search.  Who has the best vision of the offense and Allen.  Where ever that takes em, I am ok with it.  New wrinkles.  More schemed open guys.  Every play cant be Allen read the defense make the right throw.  The offense needs a little, vs this look this guy will be wide open type plays.  The best offensive minds do this with regularity.  

Ken Dorsey.

I'm a big supporter when it comes to familiarity and chemistry. Dorsey knows Josh and the current system as well as anyone plus I'd like to think he has ideas that Daboll never thought of or maybe never considered. 

This has been a Top 5 offense the last 2 seasons. It doesn't need much "tweaking". 

4 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Ken Dorsey.

I'm a big supporter when it comes to familiarity and chemistry. Dorsey knows Josh and the current system as well as anyone plus I'd like to think he has ideas that Daboll never thought of or maybe never considered. 

This has been a Top 5 offense the last 2 seasons. It doesn't need much "tweaking". 

Again...looking for external names. Dorsey is the obvious choice amoung Bills fans. Always because of "consistancy"....but no one really can explain what Dorsey knows, thinks or how he's the best person for the job. What HE brings other than he's already here.

Dorsey or Doug Pedersen 

Dorsey because of continuity and I think the offense would stay similar 

Pedersen because I think he is an innovative play caller and made Wentz look like an MVP for a while.

Edited by Big Turk

58 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Ken Dorsey.

This makes the most sense, he would be a smooth transition and he seems close with Josh.

Someone who allows Josh to throw it deep 4-5 times a game and also runs more 2 right end formations…

I’m a believer to really have the offense clicking you need a second tight end and also implements a screen game 

I’d also love a guy whose called plays in the nfl at some level either as a coach or coordinator I don’t want a guy with a super bowl caliber team learning on the fly 

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Tee Higgins, the WR for the Bengals might be our OC?

Tee Martin wouldn't be terrible although really somewhat unproven and might just be a Rooney Rule qualification, which is sad in many respects.  

I go with Dorsey, also unproven as a play caller, like the continuity.

Im good with giving Dorsey a shot. But Martin has acually called playes as a OC before. 

I'm of the opinion that anyone that our uber conservative coach signs off on will be tempted to play it safe and will limit our ultra talented QB.

As such, I am publically declaring for Josh Allen becoming his own OC. Jackie Moon did something similar in semi pro.

Well as things stand now Josh Allen and the O have used Daboll's playbook pretty successfully.

The PLAYBOOK is still in Buffalo.  It seems to me for 2022 what is needed is someone who can expound on Daboll's plays

and bring in a new twist.  A good OC seems more about stringing and disguising the correct plays together that are already in the book.

I'm not sure a well established former OC would do that.  Do the Bills really want to tear down Josh Allen and the O for a

completely new system?

As to the specific person I'm going to leave that to OBD.

Doug Pederson---assuming he isn't steadfastly holding out for another HC position, which he well might be doing.

Why?  He has a TON of experience and you can't have too many ex-head coaches on the staff.  Experience is a good thing.  

He was risky and aggressive as hell when Philly took down the Patriots in the SB, and clearly understood the only way you beat Brady/BB and the Patriots in the big show is if you PLAY TO WIN.

He has a lot of real, NFL, in-game play calling experience.

I don't want ANYONE who has never called plays before.

I also think a guy like Pederson could and would push McDermott to be much better than he is currently.

34 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Thomas Chandler Gailey Jr.

Chan Gailey always had a natural knack for clever, creative offensive play design! 

I wouldn't mind that at all to be honest, and he's been around the block many times.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Peyton "Go Bills" Manning. No explanation needed. 

I have to say, the prospect of Peyton Manning working 1 on 1 with Josh Allen give me a woody.

Assuming he would really want to pursue a coaching career.  It's too early for him to be an OC though.

Just now, Nextmanup said:

I have to say, the prospect of Peyton Manning working 1 on 1 with Josh Allen give me a woody.

Assuming he would really want to pursue a coaching career.  It's too early for him to be an OC though.

Isn't he older than Sean McVay? 

2 hours ago, Ross Murdock said:

Doug Pederson - Why? Because he got the most out of Carson Wentz, he made Doug Foles (A career journeyman, who's done nothing since leaving the Eagles)a Super Bowl winner. Pederson also is a Super Bowl winning head coach, who coached an aggressive offensive style that Allen would love. He went on 4th downs plays/2 point conversions long before it popular, and Eagles players played hard for him. Plus, if/when McDermott cannot get the Bills to the promise land, Bills would have a Super Bowl coach in house!!  Sign Him. Bills can't risk giving the OC job to a neophyte. Bills time is NOW!!  

I wrote my post above, mentioning Pederson, before reading yours.

We are totally on the same page here.

I think he would be an awesome hire, and he is the caliber of coach we should be signing.

Why in the world would we risk things with a first time play caller?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Eric Bieniemy - Make him OC/Asst HC so it's not a lateral move. Josh will make any OC look good and when after a couple years Bieniemy becomes a HC we'll get 2 3rd round comp picks. He had to learn something being besides Andy Reid for a number of years.

Are we getting an extra 3rd round draft pick for Daball going to the Giants?

3 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

You judge a tree by its fruit.. Players they’ve worked with and developed.. Where their units ranked in the league statistically.. Coaches they’ve worked with.. Experience etc..

But the "fruit" for an OC is in large part not determinable from the players they've worked with and developed.  And a position coach may not have much influence on "where their units ranked in the league statistically" since that may depend on how they're used, which could be "above their pay grade".

Can the guy design plays?  Can he integrate the passing game and the run game effectively, and avoid becoming predictable?  What about his situational play calling - does he have a good "feel" for what is effective when?

Until he gets a step, we really don't know.  And if he's done it before, we may still not know.  For example, I understood McDermott's choice of Rico Dennison. He had just won a Superbowl as OC in 2015, with an aging and ineffective formerly great QB in Peyton Manning.   That looks like a great track record!

But in retrospect, a lot of that success probably belonged to Kubiak, and he was lacking in personnel judgement (the rumors that he banged the table and demanded that McDermott bench Taylor for Peterman).

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ross Murdock said:

Doug Pederson - Why? Because he got the most out of Carson Wentz, he made Doug Foles (A career journeyman, who's done nothing since leaving the Eagles)a Super Bowl winner. Pederson also is a Super Bowl winning head coach, who coached an aggressive offensive style that Allen would love. He went on 4th downs plays/2 point conversions long before it popular, and Eagles players played hard for him. Plus, if/when McDermott cannot get the Bills to the promise land, Bills would have a Super Bowl coach in house!!  Sign Him. Bills can't risk giving the OC job to a neophyte. Bills time is NOW!!  

I don’t know if his hat is in the ring but he’s been successful as a modern nfl schemer. I suspect he’s more interested in HC opportunities. I would be happy with him here. 

3 hours ago, ngbills said:

Bennett and Martin are the only named candidates

Dorsey and Hall are the assumed candidates

Between those 4 - I am tempted to go with Dorsey though Bennett has more experience. This would be a move out of continuity vs knowing Dorsey is better. We are all just guessing if we think we know who is best of these 4 names.

Some names we have not heard yet that we know:

Doug Pederson - Heard of him. Had some decent years without a Josh Allen talent.

Dave Culley - worked with Allen. Kind of blah. 

Bill OBrien - Good offensive coach, not a good GM. Would he want to be an OC or wait for an HC gig?

Mike Leach - If we are worried about going conservative. Leach will have Allen throwing 50 times a game. 

I like O'Brien.

I'd like to get Tony Romo out of the booth. Guy understands defenses and is dynamic. I think he'd be a great fit with Allen. 

30 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I like O'Brien.

I'd like to get Tony Romo out of the booth. Guy understands defenses and is dynamic. I think he'd be a great fit with Allen. 

Romo has a 10 year, $180M contract with CBS.

That's $18M a year, for 1 football game per week and its associated prep - most of which he does from home.  I'm sure he does a thorough job, but not the 7 day a week, 16-hr day grind that an NFL OC puts in.

Don't think that happens.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t know if his hat is in the ring but he’s been successful as a modern nfl schemer. I suspect he’s more interested in HC opportunities. I would be happy with him here. 

Pederson is reportedly interviewing for HC opportunities in Jax and NO

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-head-coach-and-gm-interview-tracker-raiders-hire-josh-mcdaniels-as-new-head-coach/

Just now, frostbitmic said:

Only if the NFL is giving out comp picks for hiring fat, bald guys

Snap.  But you left out Canadian, I think that needs to be included 😁

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I think he’s interviewing for HC in Jax, so maybe we wait to see how things fall into place. He did make Wentz look like more than he appears to be in reality. If he doesn’t get a HC gig, we could be a great next step to getting one in the short term.

I trust our guys to be smarter than me or TBD in general. Far from infallible, but I like our odds. Our parts (led by Josh) make us a highly desirable destination for OC candidates with aspirations of moving up to HC. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Honestly when it comes to coordinators, especially those calling plays for the first time, no one has any idea how they will be.  I’m going with Ken Dorsey only because it appears Josh wanted him as OC.

I would also like Chad Hall for no other reason than the fact both coaches and players seem to love him and he’s known for his work ethic.  No clue about him calling plays.

I don’t want Edgar Bennett…I would give Tee Martin a shot because he’s pass oriented 

Playcalling, the ability to hit plays that "hit 'em where they ain't." (To borrow a phrase from Ernie Nevers) is vastly underrated. I still remember a play Chan called on the 1 yard line. The defense came charging upfield and Fitz tosses this easy lob to Fred at the 1 surrounded by several OL on a middle screen. There wasn't a single defensive player on the TV screen as Fred walked into the EZ for the easiest TD of his season. Talk about getting set up! It's just too bad he fell in love with subpar QB's and incompetent DC's. He could have really used a better roster overall.

11 hours ago, without a drought said:

If they hire in house, the only sure thing is that whoever they hire will have zero experience calling plays.

Our TE coach Rob Boras was an offensive coordinator for the Rams under Jeff Fisher. Pretty sure he called plays.

8 hours ago, TAinLA said:

Are we getting an extra 3rd round draft pick for Daball going to the Giants?

Daboll isn't a minority 

8 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

No, Allen is only 25.

Also, this Pederson idea doesn’t sound half that bad. What are the realistic negatives to him?

Different style of offense. I want to say he's more of a west coast guy. The mess with the eagles. Wentz regressed but could just be Wentz. He's had off field issues. Not sure if anything came of it. Was a while ago

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.