Bag of Milk

The Bills interviewed:

Brad Childress

Greg Olson- withdrew to become Rams OC

Rick Dennison

Ken Dorsey

McDermott picked Rick Dennison.

Not an inspiring hire to say the least.

Good news is: McDermott fired Dennison after only one season.

Edited by Bag of Milk
  • Like (+1) 1

Who McD hired in 2017 has almost nil to do with what's going on now.  For one, entering that season, they had Tuh-rod Taylor at QB with good old Nate Peterman backing him up.  And, their skill players were extremely weak  Translation: it wasn't an ideal job to take and Dennison never excelled in the role.

Fast forward 4 seasons and Buffalo has a legit franchise QB who I'm uber-confident several coaches would kill to work with.  It's not all on McD to have connections...people are going to come to him now for that job.  

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Who cares. Ken Dorsey will be our OC. He's been groomed. It's actually an exciting change to me. Let's all remember that Josh is our 250 million dollar man and he'll be able to give input not just into our new OC but the plays he likes and doesn't like.

You're going to get some bad news soon lol

• Eyeroll 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Doubt it, we May not hire Dorsey but it wont be because he leaves first. The Bill's OC job is the most attractive spot available.

You don't think having your first coordinator position being under and offensive mind you trust isn't attractive? Less pressure to win immediately and provide time to actually learn isn't attractive? I think a more seasoned guy might want to come to Buffalo, but a new coordinator would be on an island. They built to air it out, but the HC wants balance, so that's something they will always have to contend with. I can see him picking the Giants over Bills. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

Just now, Trogdor said:

You don't think having your first coordinator position being under and offensive mind you trust isn't attractive? Less pressure to win immediately and provide time to actually learn isn't attractive? I think a more seasoned guy might want to come to Buffalo, but a new coordinator would be on an island. They built to air it out, but the HC wants balance, so that's something they will always have to contend with. I can see him picking the Giants over Bills. 

Hell no to all of that, Jones is career suicide

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bag of Milk said:

The Bills interviewed:

Brad Childress

Rick Dennison

Ken Dorsey

True but was Beane on board?

Certainly many coaches and f.o staff weren't involved . 

He was a 1st year HC , Beane a 1st year gm. 

Him and the f.o have no doubt grown tremendously 

• Thank you (+1) 2

The Bills were one of the least desirable landing spots for coaches that year, especially on offense. McDermott hired who he could hire.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

The sort of OC McDermott might hire if Daboll leaves scares me to death.

He's a defensive guy and just so conservative.

Who hired Daboll?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I’d actually be scared as a bills fan with Dorsey you have a Super Bowl caliber team and a guy whose never called plays at any level be your oc.
The Giants have a terrible cap situation with some awful contracts on that roster and decisions on Barkley and Jones coming up he’s not walking into a Golden setup there either 

• Like (+1) 1

I get so tired of people making like McDermott is stupid or something do you really think that he is going to intentionally go away from the type of offenses that has been successful here for five years no he’s not going to do that he’s going to look for someone similar to what we have had and we did not have a franchise QB at that time can people please just put their feelings aside about the fact that we just lost and went home and realize that we have a head coach with the winning record that his coach this team to five playoffs in the last six seasons and knock this ***** the ***** off

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bag of Milk said:

The Bills interviewed:

Brad Childress

Rick Dennison

Ken Dorsey

Olson actually withdrew to become the Rams QB’s coach. Which is even more insulting.

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

It's not all on McD to have connections...people are going to come to him now for that job.  

Now that i’ve edited out the “rah rah”, let’s focus on reality.

Just like any other position on earth, the very best are already employed and under contract. There may be endless people who want the job, but can not have it due to contractual obligations.

That leaves:

1) Former OC’s without a job - Which makes you question WHY they are without a job.

2) People who have never been an OC, and they will be learning on the job.

….

Edited by Einstein

29 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Did you watch the last 13 seconds of last Sundays game?

I get that it's way more satisfying to grab a pitchfork and join the mob.

But we don't know what happened there or who was to blame.

The idea that 13 seconds - bad as it was - shows that McDermott is stupid, well it's flat-out ridiculous.

Not that all is sunshine and roses and we can be absolutely sure we'll get a sensational OC. But we've got a smart guy with a lot more experience than he had last time making the decision. And the job is a ton more attractive than it was when he hired Dennison. And the next year he hired Daboll.

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Bag of Milk said:

The Bills interviewed:

Brad Childress

Rick Dennison

Ken Dorsey

And actually his first choice was Mike McCoy. But he went to Denver instead. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Olson actually withdrew to become the Rams QB’s coach. Which is even more insulting.

Now that i’ve edited out the “rah rah”, let’s focus on reality.

Just like any other position on earth, the very best are already employed and under contract. There may be endless people who want the job, but can not have it due to contractual obligations.

That leaves:

1) Former OC’s without a job - Which makes you question WHY they are without a job.

2) People who have never been an OC, and they will be learning on the job.

….

3) college coaches. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The sort of OC McDermott might hire if Daboll leaves scares me to death.

He's a defensive guy and just so conservative.

I don’t think he’s “so” conservative anymore.  In spots he can be, like most coaches, but he went for a lot of 4th downs this year as opposed to previous years, specifically in reaction to the AFC Championship game lessons from last year.   

I’m not worried about it.  They’ll get an OC with a good resume and next year folks will love his playcalls when we win and want him fired when we lose or don’t win pretty enough.  Rinse and repeat. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Yes.

And i’ve seen numerous and repeated gameday mistakes, each and every year.

That's called NFL football. I watch a lot of teams outside of Buffalo and there are mistakes made in every single game. It is the most complex sport in the world.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I get so tired of people making like McDermott is stupid or something do you really think that he is going to intentionally go away from the type of offenses that has been successful here for five years no he’s not going to do that he’s going to look for someone similar to what we have had and we did not have a franchise QB at that time can people please just put their feelings aside about the fact that we just lost and went home and realize that we have a head coach with the winning record that his coach this team to five playoffs in the last six seasons and knock this ***** the ***** off

The offense has only really been successful for 2 years. It was going nowhere fast before that. 

7 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I’d actually be scared as a bills fan with Dorsey you have a Super Bowl caliber team and a guy whose never called plays at any level be your oc.
The Giants have a terrible cap situation with some awful contracts on that roster and decisions on Barkley and Jones coming up he’s not walking into a Golden setup there either 

I agree with you, I just think it's a much softer landing for him. If he failed here it would be a much bigger blemish. 

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Hell no to all of that, Jones is career suicide

A Bills offense regressing as he figures it out is suicide. It's win now here. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Bag of Milk said:

The Bills interviewed:

Brad Childress

Rick Dennison

Ken Dorsey

Your history lesson skips over a massive amount of context. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Being around message boards and posting a lot kind of let's you see how fans think. It doesn't matter what you've done or accomplished, unless you win championships you're considered a failure in many fans eyes. 

People talk about McDermott in the same way they talk about Dick Jauron or Gregg Williams. It's laughable to me.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Trogdor said:

He was already under that same offensive mind for 3 years, do you think he wasn't learning from Daboll during that time? He clearly wanted to be an OC because he interviewed in the past for the position. He's been preparing for this for years now.

Guys in this profession want to move up and prove themselves on their own. Quick question, who do you think would get the credit if the Giants offense turned it around Brian or Ken? But if things went south Dorsey would get all the blame and I'm not so sure Daboll would be inclined to give up playcalling. Why would you want a job working in someone's shadow? 

If my future in the NFL, as a coach, had to be hitched to either Allen or Jones, sorry brother, that's a no contest. Jones was 29th in passing yards, 30th in TDs, 26th in QB Rating & 22nd in QBR which was 41.6. 50.0 is average QB play. So he'd be leaving easily a top 2 QB to leave and coach a below average QB. That wouldn't be described as a sound career decision. Jones just finished his 3rd year and he's still a bad QB. Why would you leave the best player in the league for a failing franchise and failing QB? My opinion Josh>Daboll & Jones by a mile and it's not even that close.

Just for reference Jones total TDs in his 3 year career were beat by Allen in this year alone, including playoffs (51 vs 50). Also in 3 years Jones has yet to play a full season. Yep let me leave the most physically gifted QB ever to play and sign me up for some of that.

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Those playoffs All these years must be so unsatisfying for you

At the end of the season, all teams are equal except for 1.

I don’t care about playoffs. I care about Super Bowls.

4 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

You’re right… good NFL coaches don’t make mistakes. What weird world are you living in? 

Everyone makes mistakes. Some forget to take the garbage out. And others accidentally set their house on fire.

There are degrees to mistakes. 

1 hour ago, Captain Caveman said:

I feel like if Dorsey does leave it's because he doesn't feel good about creating an offense under McDermott (which I could understand after the season we had and the weird commitment to running even when against our best interests.)

If he goes, I worry about where we're headed next year.

The “Weird” commitment to the running game is what finally opened up the offense down the stretch. Josh Allen was the number one play action QB in the NFL when all was said and done. The shift to establishing the dual threat is what made our playoff run possible. I am usually first to get on a coach about being conservative but If McD is the one who called for the shift in offensive personality Bravo. With out the shift Buffalo was not in the playoffs. That would have been devastating. 

Edited by Lenigmusx
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Some ARE stupid so they think Coach McDermott is.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.