Shaq Lawson possibly returning to Buffalo

FireChans

42 minutes ago, MJS said:

That's funny, since he is supposed to be an edge rusher but he doesn't produce sacks.

Ok. I meant more from mentality/play style standpoint vs. sack production.  Last time he played in this defense, he had 6.5 sacks though. That production would’ve been second on this team to Addison’s 7. 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm sure he didn't want to leave.  He chased the money.

If I recall correctly the Bills offered him  a pretty competitive deal but opted for the Dolphins.

I can’t blame him for taking a deal he thought was best.  And perhaps Miami felt more like a place he would rather live. 

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm sure he didn't want to leave.  He chased the money.

I mean, you have to at some point, limited number of years to make what you can make. Bills weren't going to pay him anywhere close to what he got from the Fins. That's part of the business.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Muki's on it.

From the Cambridge dictionary.

prodigal son

noun [ C usually singular ]

a man or boy who has left his family in order to do something that the family disapprove of and has now returned home feeling sorry for what he has done:

figurative:  The prodigal son has returned to the team after a three-year absence.

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Wha???? Didn’t see this coming! Wow.

In the thread where it was mentioned that Shaq was axed, I did my usual "Beane, get 'er done" post which got some laughs...

I didn't think we'd actually do it!  

Holy crap!

Just now, Nextmanup said:

In the thread where it was mentioned that Shaq was axed, I did my usual "Beane, get 'er done" post which got some laughs...

I didn't think we'd actually do it!  

Holy crap!

ha! Yeah, I was the same. It made sense; but I was thinking no way they would do it. We already seem to have a ton of bodies on the DL too. 

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

Gotta feed your family...

With career earnings of just about $25 million, Shaq doesn't have to worry about food bills.

But I agree that ALL of these guys are wise to cash in on every single pay day they can possibly get.

When you are paid in 7 figures, every new K is a huge bump to your finances, even if you have already earned a ton.

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm still not sure why this move even needed to be made given the pass rushes resurgence in recent weeks.

Yes Lawson had a career year here in 2019, but he has a grand total of 5 sacks (including just one this year) since leaving Buffalo and playing for multiple teams (which is still somewhat a red flag too).

I think this has almost nothing to do with his pass rush proficiency.  It's much more about playing the run and setting the edge, which he excelled at during his last stint.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

ha! Yeah, I was the same. It made sense; but I was thinking no way they would do it. We already seem to have a ton of bodies on the DL too. 

Maybe he'll get a bit of a rebirth back in Buffalo and make some things happen, assuming he plays.

I don't really know how they plan to use him.

I txted my son and he immediately sent a selfie with Shaq from a few years ago - after a game he was at the airport waiting to fly back to NC and Shaq was at the gate on the same flight (think someone close to him had died and he was flying immediately down to SC)

4 minutes ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

Mario Williams spotted at Tempo.

Shaq saw it was going to be 5 degrees on Saturday..so he’ll pass...

Your mention of Mario Williams reminds me that we haven't had a really efficient pass rusher who makes impact plays in quite a while.  Mario had a couple great seasons as a Bill.  

I think the last guy we had who was like that was Jerry Hughes, about 3 years ago before his play started to deteriorate.  We could use another one!

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Oh I think his pass rush was not adequate, and stopping the run is fine, but you don't give guys big contracts or even significant starting time just to stop the run.

I think letting Lawson and Phillips both walk was the right move by far, and I don't even like the idea of bringing either of them back. They are not good enough to be Buffalo Bills in 2022, in my opinion.

And it is suspect that they were both busts but scraped together decent years in their contract year so that they could get paid, then completely underperformed since then.

It is unfair to lump Jordan Phillips in with Shaq.  Shaq may have mailed it in until his last year, but JP played on TWO prove it deals with the Bills, and produced a TON in his last year here. Shaq had a solid season but JP had 9.5 sacks. He then went to Arizona with a completely different defensive role and has battled injury since. Shaq has been traded 2x and cut. 

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

From the Cambridge dictionary.

prodigal son

noun [ C usually singular ]

a man or boy who has left his family in order to do something that the family disapprove of and has now returned home feeling sorry for what he has done:

figurative:  The prodigal son has returned to the team after a three-year absence.

Origin, The New Testament

See Luke 15:11-32

• Simon changed the title to Shaq Lawson possibly returning to Buffalo
1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

Our DE’s accounted for 20.5 sacks.  Our team defense had 42 sacks, 11th overall in the NFL.  

Not sure that is an unmitigated disaster but we certainly want more given the draft position investment in the DL.  

Ok, we’ll I’m not going to sift through the whole sack totals for where everyone lined up when sacks were counted, but your take is misleading in that our DE’s play a lot in the middle on sure passing downs, which inflates “DE sacks”.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.