Bears and Dolphins request interview with Brian Daboll

YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, Process said:

*crosses fingers*

I wouldn't get my hopes up. If he had a decent interview I'd think he be the HC of the Chargers right now.

Dolphins-Bears 

and Jags-Raiders-Broncos-Vikings are also looking for a new HC.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-coaching-gm-tracker-latest-news-interviews-developments-in-2022-hiring-cycle

Interesting stuff. According to this link, Daboll is the only guy being considered for the Miami job atm.

Going for us -or against us per your POV, Daboll has enjoyed an impactful and successful career to date. Now finally back in his hometown where he just lost a loved one, I don’t think he’s interested in re-locating yet again. He may be forced to a make a decision at some time, but all things being equal ($$) I thinks he’s happy where he’s at. When he talks about WNY, you can hear the love he has for it, it’s history and neighborhoods and his family.

jmo

• Like (+1) 2

Not sure I love the fit for Daboll in either spot. I see the Fields development angle in Chicago, sure, but I feel like the Bears just went this road with Nagy. An offensive coordinator who'd only been successful in one place with a star QB to try and prop up a drafted QB who wasn't shining. 

Chicago needs to forget who they have on their roster right this minute and focus on a leader who will bring an identity. Maybe they think Daboll is that. I'd have my doubts. 

Of the open jobs the one I actually like Daboll as a fit in is Minnesota. He would be the right DC hire away from being successful there IMO. The name I heard he was attaching himself to last year as his DC was Patricia. Not heard anything about his proposed staff this time around. But staffs are big in HC interviews. Especially coordinators on the opposite side of the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I wouldn't get my hopes up. If he had a decent interview I'd think he be the HC of the Chargers right now.

Some truth to that but I think it was more that as soon as Staley got in the room he was getting hired. He blew them away. So Daboll could obviously have done a better interview, but equally from what was reported Staley was one of those rare he walks out of the room and the entire panel looks at one another and says "that's our guy" moments. Mike Tomlin was famously that in Pittsburgh and similar profile: very young, only one season as a DC but just blew people away in the interview. 

6 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Not really in my opinion. Most good jobs have good ownership. 

Miami has demonstrated with their most recent decisions to not be that.

Until an organization finds a QB they are all chasing their tail. Miami has been chasing a QB for a while. 

But it's still one of the premier jobs in the NFL.

42 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

In this corner you have the Dolphins that just fired a head coach with an 8 game winning streak

In the other corner Da Bears whom fire head coaches every two years...

Pick carefully Brian.....:doh:

The luxury of the job Brian Daboll has is that he can pick carefully. While he is Josh Allen's offensive coordinator he will get interviews pretty much every year so he doesn't have to jump at a bad opportunity - indeed he turned an interview request from Philadelphia down last year. But there is also a hot iron element. There have been guys over the years who have been in the mix every year for 3 or 4 years and don't quite land one and then disappear. Greg Roman was that a bit - he got interviews every year he was the OC in San Fran. Ray Horton in his stint as DC in Arizona had about half a dozen interviews over a 3 year span (including here in the cycle that led to Marrone's hiring) and then it didn't work out, he took a bad job in Cleveland to be Chudzinski's DC and his reputation never recovered, he hasn't had an interview since. Teryl Austin when he was Jim Caldwell's DC in Detroit got interviews every year. Caldwell gets fired Austin doesn't get a job, took a bad job in Cincy and is now the defensive backs coach in Pittsburgh. 

So he can choose carefully, but also you do tend to have something of a window. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Process said:

*crosses fingers*

According to Pro Football Reference, we've scored the 3rd most points of ANY team in the league!! 3rd guys, 3rd!

What the hell are any of you complaining about?!? What more do you want?!?

While I'm at it, we're #1 in points against and won back to back AFCE CHAMPS!

IMO,  any complainer(you know who you are) is a dumb@$$!; Again, JMO.

Phew, that felt good!

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I wonder if there are any coordinators out there that just say, “no thanks— I love being a coordinator and am great at it, and don’t want to give that up.” It’s sort of what McDaniels has done recently. 

Easier to do once you have had one go around. Harder for a guy who has never had his shot. 

10 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Called the West Called Offense in the 80’s and early 90’s.   Now an evolution of it.  

I call it the stretch zone WCO. Because the passing concepts are still predicated on the old school Bill Walsh WCO but the running concepts that is the Mike Shanahan / Alex Gibbs stretch zone. The reason they mesh perfectly together is because they both work best with a lot of QB under centre. 

My personal view about the scheme is it is the best scheme in NFL history at maximising the production of good Quarterbacks. But if you have a superstar Quarterback it kinda puts them in a straight jacket a bit. It is no secret Peyton Manning hated running it his final year in Denver, even though it finally brought him that second Superbowl, and he insisted in meshing it with some of the E-P and spread concepts that he had run with Tom Moore in Indy. Elway was much more of a fan of it when he ran it at the end of his career in Denver but that might be because he was so desperate for a ring by that point he'd have run anything to get there. I suspect a 25 year old John Elway wouldn't have loved it either. 

Think about the guys who really have had their best career success running the scheme and it is Matt Ryan and Jimmy Garoppolo and Kirk Cousins and Jake Plummer and Matt Schaub. Ryan is the best of that group and it made him an MVP but I think with a guy who can make every throw you risk taking away some of that ability to make plays off schedule. 

The other version of the WCO still prevalent in the NFL is the Andy Reid spread WCO. Where again there are some core Bill Walsh timing concepts in there but it is meshed with a lot of spread formation and empty backfield from the shotgun. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I call it the stretch zone WCO. Because the passing concepts are still predicated on the old school Bill Walsh WCO but the running concepts that is the Mike Shanahan / Alex Gibbs stretch zone. The reason they mesh perfectly together is because they both work best with a lot of QB under centre. 

My personal view about the scheme is it is the best scheme in NFL history at maximising the production of good Quarterbacks. But if you have a superstar Quarterback it kinda puts them in a straight jacket a bit. It is no secret Peyton Manning hated running it his final year in Denver, even though it finally brought him that second Superbowl, and he insisted in meshing it with some of the E-P and spread concepts that he had run with Tom Moore in Indy. Elway was much more of a fan of it when he ran it at the end of his career in Denver but that might be because he was so desperate for a ring by that point he'd have run anything to get there. I suspect a 25 year old John Elway wouldn't have loved it either. 

Think about the guys who really have had their best career success running the scheme and it is Matt Ryan and Jimmy Garoppolo and Kirk Cousins and Jake Plummer and Matt Schaub. Ryan is the best of that group and it made him an MVP but I think with a guy who can make every throw you risk taking away some of that ability to make plays off schedule. 

The other version of the WCO still prevalent in the NFL is the Andy Reid spread WCO. Where again there are some core Bill Walsh timing concepts in there but it is meshed with a lot of spread formation and empty backfield from the shotgun. 

Is it not what Green Bay runs with Rodgers?

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea, fair point. There is a lot of that in what LaFleur runs. Rodgers moaned about it a fair bit the first year too.

It would not suit Allen.  I understand the benefit of a rhythm-based offense that makes runs and passes look nearly identical from the defense’s perspective, but Allen is at his best when he can improvise and go off-script.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It would not suit Allen.  I understand the benefit of a rhythm-based offense that makes runs and passes look nearly identical from the defense’s perspective, but Allen is at his best when he can improvise and go off-script.  

Agree and while Aaron might win back to back MVPs in the system I suspect if you asked him honestly it wouldn't necessarily be his preferred style of offense. 

11 hours ago, Blainorama5 said:

DON'T go to the Dolphins Daboll!  Bears, that's fine.  Just not the Phins - have some dignity!

Not sure why he'd even wanna go to the Dolphins. You really wanna go to a team that just fired a decent coach after getting a team with a bad qb to 9-8?

22 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Not sure why he'd even wanna go to the Dolphins. You really wanna go to a team that just fired a decent coach after getting a team with a bad qb to 9-8?

I think the ideal situation is to go to a team that is hiring both a HC and GM (bears, Vikes) so you can go with a guy you are comfortable partnering with and knows what players you want and what scheme you run. Many times when there is only one opening, there is incongruency when the new guy comes in. Now I do think there is a potential for the teams that only fired one to get rid of the other if it’s a condition of the new hire (like when the bills initially kept Whaley and McDermott brought in Beane later). I could see that happening in Jacksonville and NYG.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the ideal situation is to go to a team that is hiring both a HC and GM (bears, Vikes) so you can go with a guy you are comfortable partnering with and knows what players you want and what scheme you run. Many times when there is only one opening, there is incongruency when the new guy comes in. Now I do think there is a potential for the teams that only fired one to get rid of the other if it’s a condition of the new hire (like when the bills initially kept Whaley and McDermott brought in Beane later). I could see that happening in Jacksonville and NYG.

Yep. So could I. The reporting on Judge is very much "safe for now" but if say a Joe Schoen got that job and said "fire this guy I'm bringing in Daboll" I think they'd fire Judge. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yep. So could I. The reporting on Judge is very much "safe for now" but if say a Joe Schoen got that job and said "fire this guy I'm bringing in Daboll" I think they'd fire Judge. 

I think that’s a decent fit too. Daboll might be able to get a bit more out of Daniel Jones as he does have some similarities at Allen and if not, you draft a guy. The nfc is going to be pretty wide open too in a year or so when Rodgers and Brady are gone. AFC has more elite young QBs. 

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Going for us -or against us per your POV, Daboll has enjoyed an impactful and successful career to date. Now finally back in his hometown where he just lost a loved one, I don’t think he’s interested in re-locating yet again. He may be forced to a make a decision at some time, but all things being equal ($$) I thinks he’s happy where he’s at. When he talks about WNY, you can hear the love he has for it, it’s history and neighborhoods and his family.

jmo

Just don't let him read TSW. 🤔

10 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Coached him a lot longer than that, he developed him and wanted to play him over hurts but Saban wouldn't allow it until desperation hit. 

Not really. 30 minutes of game time. One season as a backup QB. I feel like this is going to be another constantly repeated yet over valued “connection” like last year’s “he went to HS with Tom Telesco and therefore is a shoe in for the chargers job”. One, he may have preferred Tua over Hurts for his offense years ago when they were college QBs but that doesn’t mean he’s an NFL “Tua guy”. He may have simply felt limited with Hurts in the passing game as he struggled to throw downfield. Also, the dolphins owner didn’t commit to Tua as their QB going forward so I don’t think it will be as big of a factor as some are making it out to be. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

13 hours ago, Blainorama5 said:

DON'T go to the Dolphins Daboll!  Bears, that's fine.  Just not the Phins - have some dignity!

I don't think I would go to the Dolphins in his position considering how they ditched Flores and he looked like he was helping that team improve

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

So if a team hires away a minority coach away from a team they have to give up two 3rd round picks, but if they hire away a white coach, they give up nothing?  How exactly is this supposed to encourage minority coach hirings?  

No team gives up picks but the team he came from would gain two picks.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I don't think I would go to the Dolphins in his position considering how they ditched Flores and he looked like he was helping that team improve

No team gives up picks but the team he came from would gain two picks.

Ok thanks.  That makes much more sense 

13 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I'm guessing that Ken Dorsey would be the most likely replacement.  If he isn't, the Bills will lose him too.  The transition to Dorsey would be an easy one.

This - if we lose Daboll it should and likely will be Dorsey. Question is whether he chooses to leave with either Frasier or Daboll if hired as OC with them. My hopes would be the Bills promote him and block a horizontal move, but think they’d ultimately let him choose. If this happens I like Nagy coming in as QB coach for when Dorsey leaves, unless he gets hired as OC/HC elsewhere.

More interesting question is who steps into DC if Frasier goes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.