Beef on Weck Tips

judman

I’m out of town and left to my own devices for beef on weck. So I’m looking for some tips on what cuts people are fond of and any other tips (like cooking times, temps, etc.).

I did find a place to obtain rolls locally (I’m near Utica). I tried to make my own last year and they were not very good (barely passable, actually).  With the rolls being made for me, I can focus on the meat. 

Thank you in advance. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

Napoli's in Utica makes a beautiful round roll. Call ahead. They have limited hours. If you ask far enough ahead, maybe they could bake on some caraway and rock salt for you. And while you're there get one of their tomato pies.

As for the beef, an easy cheat is to get some rare deli roast beef, whip up a pot of au jus, and soak the beef in it just long enough to warm it before serving.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, judman said:

I’m out of town and left to my own devices for beef on weck. So I’m looking for some tips on what cuts people are fond of and any other tips (like cooking times, temps, etc.).

I did find a place to obtain rolls locally (I’m near Utica). I tried to make my own last year and they were not very good (barely passable, actually).  With the rolls being made for me, I can focus on the meat. 

Eye of round. If you have a sous vide setup use it. If not season and roast to a nice R to MR.  Slice as thin as possible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'll give you mine.

First, find Kaiser rolls. Not that easy, but any thick hamburger type roll will do. Kaiser is the best.

Mix kosher salt and caraway seed together, a little more caraway than salt.

Do not use table salt.

Prepare some kind of wash to hold the salt/caraway to the top.

You can use an egg white wash.

Dip the top of the rolls into the wash and apply the salt/caraway.

I cook the best roast beef cut at 225 grill temp until 127 internal.

I won't use top round, but sirloin or anything better.

Let rest for 10-15 minutes, covered in aluminum.

Slice very thin.

Load the beef in the roll.

Apply horseradish to taste.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

As for the beef, an easy cheat is to get some rare deli roast beef, whip up a pot of au jus, and soak the beef in it just long enough to warm it before serving.

I'll second this.

No fuss, no muss and it tastes just as good.

Just make sure you don't warm it too much or too long or the beef will start to cook and get tougher.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Napoli's in Utica makes a beautiful round roll. Call ahead. They have limited hours. If you ask far enough ahead, maybe they could bake on some caraway and rock salt for you. And while you're there get one of their tomato pies.

My local source is actually Utica Bread. Their website says they make kummelweck rolls. They even had a picture of one that certainly looked the part. I’m gonna try them and see. I will let you know. 

Napoli has good pie, but I’m more partial to Roma. Danielle’s is good too, it’s different, but very good. 

2 minutes ago, judman said:

My local source is actually Utica Bread. Their website says they make kummelweck rolls. They even had a picture of one that certainly looked the part. I’m gonna try them and see. I will let you know. 

Napoli has good pie, but I’m more partial to Roma. Danielle’s is good too, it’s different, but very good. 

You know what?  Despite all the hype about being around for a 100+ years, O'scugnizzo's Pizza is pretty lame.

Utica is my favorite food stop on my way to Buffalo from NH. I'll check out Roma and Danielle's. Any other suggestions?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Aunt Joanne used to cook up the roast beef from Tops in the crock pot for a few hours, then get the Redlinski’s Horseradish out. Dip the roll in the juice, put the beef on the roll, put the horseradish on the beef with a fork (Ancient Polish Secret), put the roll on top, eat. 

When times were tough, the Sunbeam Bread served as an “open face beef on weck”. 

Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but it’s now I remember it being made. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Go to Charlie the Butcher

Funny you say that! They changed their website. It used to give you instructions on how to make your rolls with a corn starch slurry, but now they say egg wash and buy your kosher salt and caraway seeds from them. Selling kits, which seems silly since it’s so easy.  I don’t blame them for trying to make money, but I made some great rolls! I’d cheat and get rare deli roast beef and make the au jus from the packets, NOT a can. As posted above, don’t warm up the meat too long or it will start cooking. 

https://www.charliethebutcher.com

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Funny you say that! They changed their website. It used to give you instructions on how to make your rolls with a corn starch slurry, but now they say egg wash and buy your kosher salt and caraway seeds from them. Selling kits, which seems silly since it’s so easy.  I don’t blame them for trying to make money, but I made some great rolls! I’d cheat and get rare deli roast beef and make the au jus from the packets, NOT a can. As posted above, don’t warm up the meat too long or it will start cooking. 

https://www.charliethebutcher.com

I go there for the beef which is the best I've ever had.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I go there for the beef which is the best I've ever had.

Went there as a much younger person. I’ve been known to go directly from the airport to Schwabl’s on trips back to see a game. Amazing as well, and I had totally forgotten how good German potato salad could be!  Bad time for such a craving! 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Went there as a much younger person. I’ve been known to go directly from the airport to Schwabl’s on trips back to see a game. Amazing as well, and I had totally forgotten how good German potato salad could be!  Bad time for such a craving! 

Not a German potato salad fan but i wouldn't turn it down either

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

yeeeeaaars since I had German Potato salad.....de-lish

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Boars Head London Broil is the bomb.

Agree with au jus. TOPS actually sells a shaker full of salt with caraway seeds . Throw a little Millers horseradish and you’re in business.

eye of round. can if you want before but add salt/pepper on oil.  I like to do mine in the slow cooker for about 3-4 hours and then slice it up with a meat slicer ($50 well spent on amazon).

Just use the au jus recipe for the slow cooker instead of water (can add other veggies if you want to it which makes it easier).

2 hours ago, judman said:

go to wegmans in Syracuse area…I can get them at mine in northern virginia.

The one big mistake I made was NOT having a beef on weck sandwich the one and only time I visited Buffalo. Big regret. I’ve been looking around locally (western Canada) for a place that makes this specialty ‘wich. 

wings were great though. I watched the Bills get smashed by the Pats with JP under center. 

Edited by AlfaBill

2 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Boars Head London Broil is the bomb.

Agree with au jus. TOPS actually sells a shaker full of salt with caraway seeds . Throw a little Millers horseradish and you’re in business.

I am a lousy cook, so after botched attempts at a more legit version a couple times, I found this approach much easier and fine for me at least.  

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

5 hours ago, Beerball said:

Eye of round. If you have a sous vide setup use it. If not season and roast to a nice R to MR.  Slice as thin as possible.

I have done top round, eye of round and the deli roast beef life hack.

Eye of round is, by far, the best route.  Top round will do well.  But there is a HUGE difference between making and slicing your own roast beef and using deli meat.

I do not have Sue Veed, but I'm sure that would result in the best meat.  But oven roasting an eye round will give you top quality.

Went to the Genny Brew Pub in Rochester last weekend and ordered their B.o.W.  It has Charlie the Butcher beef on it and a really good toll.  Washed down with two Genny Screamers.  Highly recommended.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.