Interesting way to describe Josh Allen - High floor - High Ceiling

BuffaloBill

Josh Allen ranked 7th best NFL QB

No doubt when Josh Allen is on his game the Bills are nearly impossible to beat. When he is “off” i’s still maddening because his “off game” will still be better than many starting QB’s “on” games.

With time, I really believe this situation will smooth out. Let’s hope JA plays very close to the ceiling for the remainder of the season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Allen is too low. Top 5 easily.

He has the ability to, but needs to play better in weather.   Our horrific slate of bad weather home games this year have distorted some people’s view of him.  Especially those that just go by numbers absent context.  

He’s absolutely Top 5, (Top 3 IMO) even with the meh weather games, but it’s time for him to take over one of these games from start to finish when everyone else is struggling with the elements.  

17 minutes ago, SCBills said:

He has the ability to, but needs to play better in weather.   Our horrific slate of bad weather home games this year have distorted some people’s view of him.  Especially those that just go by numbers absent context.  

He’s absolutely Top 5, (Top 3 IMO) even with the meh weather games, but it’s time for him to take over one of these games from start to finish when everyone else is struggling with the elements.  

Allen's play in bad weather reminds of the joke told about two hikers encountering a bear and as they take off running they realize that they don't have to out run the bear they only have to outrun the other guy.  In bad weather games Allen only needs to outplay the other QB.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It'd be interesting to see how other QBs would fare if they played in as many weather games as Allen has...

Green Bay gets cold but they don't get the snow or wind that we do and most of the other QBs above him are on good weather teams.

Say whatever you want but he might be at the largest disadvantage in comparison to other QBs

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Allen's play in bad weather reminds of the joke told about two hikers encountering a bear and as they take off running they realize that they don't have to out run the bear they only have to outrun the other guy.  In bad weather games Allen only needs to outplay the other QB.

Oh, I’d agree for the most part.   However, in relation to the stupid low ranking (7) of Allen in this thread, the abundance of bad weather games is likely the main culprit. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I love Josh, and do think the order of the Top 7 in this list is debatable.  Who do you include in your top 3 with Josh?

11 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Not that hard when the opponent throws 3 passes

4 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I love Josh, and do think the order of the Top 7 in this list is debatable.  Who do you include in your top 3 with Josh?

Rodgers at 1 and then Mahomes or Allen at 2/3.  Probably have to give Mahomes the edge with his early career accolades.  Allen can certainly change that this postseason.  

Burrow, Herbert and Brady in the next level at 4, 5 and 6. 

Then a steep drop off to the next group.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Josh Allen ranked 7th best NFL QB

No doubt when Josh Allen is on his game the Bills are nearly impossible to beat. When he is “off” i’s still maddening because his “off game” will still be better than many starting QB’s “on” games.

With time, I really believe this situation will smooth out. Let’s hope JA plays very close to the ceiling for the remainder of the season.

Somehow JA off games get way more noticed than others….

• Like (+1) 2

Other than Rodgers I think you can make a case for 2-7 in what ever order you want. The QB play this year has been very erratic and everyone 2-7 has been playing around the same level. The one exception I might make is Murray. I could see him being firmly #7 and the others could go anywhere from 2 to 6.  

Derek Carr, 12 fumbles?? Yikes. 

And Murray with 13 fumbles in only 13 games?

Mahomes has 9 fumbles.

Allen only has 8 fumbles on the season and probably has more carries then the three combined. Hopefully the talking heads stop talking about Allen's fumbling issues. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

Allen’s highs are being *expected* now due to his talent and arm ability, while his lows - like the game against the Jaguars - leaves people scratching their heads. The inconsistencies (or rollercoaster as some have labeled it) is why he’s not always getting the respect he deserves. The failure to win close games this season is another. As great as he is, there’s still plenty of room for Josh to elevate his play and that mostly comes down to raising his floor level performances.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7th is ridiculously low. I would take Allen over Burrow, Herbert, and Murray. He is no lower than top 4 and on any week he can outplay all of them.  I'm a little disappointed in the interception totals but he has cleaned up the fumbles this year.

If he stays calm and just takes what defense gives him, he is unstoppable. 

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

It goes Rodgers Allen Mahomes

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Any list that has Kyler Murray ahead of Josh should be discarded immediately 

Correct

• Like (+1) 1

Rodgers

Mahomes

Allen

Brady

Burrow 

Herbert

I am not even sure I'd have Murray 7th tbh. You have Russell Wilson who has a strange year with being hurt and all but who when right probably makes that top 6 a top 7. Murray is in that next batch with Jackson and Prescott and Stafford and maybe Carr. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I've looked at the list a few times this year. It has been a complete joke all year, and not just because Allen has been ranked too low. There are numerous issues with it, too many to even list.

Greg Rosenthal is one of those football nerds who just likes to hear the sound of his own voice, and he has been down on Allen for his entire career. It must be frustrating for him.

Edited by MJS

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

It'd be interesting to see how other QBs would fare if they played in as many weather games as Allen has...

Green Bay gets cold but they don't get the snow or wind that we do and most of the other QBs above him are on good weather teams.

Say whatever you want but he might be at the largest disadvantage in comparison to other QBs

This is a lot like when Dan Marino's & Jim Kelly's stats were compared.  Marino looked better on paper but Kelly was the one winning the AFC over Marino every time.  The only time Marino won the AFC was when Kelly was in the USFL.  

42 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Allen’s highs are being *expected* now due to his talent and arm ability, while his lows - like the game against the Jaguars - leaves people scratching their heads. The inconsistencies (or rollercoaster as some have labeled it) is why he’s not always getting the respect he deserves. The failure to win close games this season is another. As great as he is, there’s still plenty of room for Josh to elevate his play and that mostly comes down to raising his floor level performances.

The inconsitencies have been due to all the O-line shuffling.  How many of the other QBs have had to put up with that this season?  Every time the line has looked set someone either gets hurt, gets Covid or both.  Then Cody Ford comes in and does his turnstile imitation.  

Burrow has been amazing this season.  Leading the league in comp% @ over 70% while also leading the league in ypa by a large margin with 8.9.  Joshs’ ypa = 6.9.  I wouldn’t say he’s better a better qb than josh, but one could argue he’s the better passer.  Josh’s legs and physical being give him the advantage of being the better QB overall imo. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Burrow has been amazing this season.  Leading the league in comp% @ over 70% while also leading the league in ypa by a large margin with 8.9.  Joshs’ ypa = 6.9.  I wouldn’t say he’s better a better qb than josh, but one could argue he’s the better passer.  Josh’s legs and physical being give him the advantage of being the better QB overall imo. 

His guys get a lot of YAC, I think Burrow is third in the league. Allen is like 18th.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The inconsitencies have been due to all the O-line shuffling.  How many of the other QBs have had to put up with that this season?  Every time the line has looked set someone either gets hurt, gets Covid or both.  Then Cody Ford comes in and does his turnstile imitation.  

It’s not only due to the line, or the weather. JA is not absolved of blame and he’d tell you himself there are a number of games this year where he could’ve played better. 

Edited by JayBaller10

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

His guys get a lot of YAC, I think Burrow is third in the league. Allen is like 18th.

Chase makes a huge difference there. DBs just can’t keep up with him. He takes a 10 yard pass and makes it a70 yd TD. The Bills don’t have a WR like that. 

• Agree 1

Josh is the most physically gifted QB in the NFL. He is also a pretty polished player as well. But he needs to refine some of his decision making before he becomes the top QB consistently. He went from having the second best QB season (and a runner up in MVP voting) to being a top 5ish QB this year. Not bad regression but certainly a mild step back. I think Josh's numbers/play got hurt by two factors this season. The first is inconsistent O-line play. Injuries, Covid and shuffling around of players and bad guard play at times all hurt this team's ability to both consistently protect Josh and consistently run block. The O-line in 2020 had some issues but overall was playing better especially pass blocking where they had a very good rating. 

The second factor is teams adjusting to Josh and some issues with playcalling. I do think the playcalling was hampered by O-line play but there were certainly some non-Oline related issues with playcalling. But teams simply were more willing to force Josh to play "patient" and dink and dunk them to death. Josh at times would just take what the defense was giving him other times he would be hampered and force plays which resulted in turnovers. 

I feel that if this team can find a way to get better more consistent O-line play along with Josh adjusting to defenses he will be a consistent top 2-3 QB year in and year out. No QB not even Mahomes has his physical gifts.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Josh is the most physically gifted QB in the NFL. He is also a pretty polished player as well. But he needs to refine some of his decision making before he becomes the top QB consistently. He went from having the second best QB season (and a runner up in MVP voting) to being a top 5ish QB this year. Not bad regression but certainly a mild step back. I think Josh's numbers/play got hurt by two factors this season. The first is inconsistent O-line play. Injuries, Covid and shuffling around of players and bad guard play at times all hurt this team's ability to both consistently protect Josh and consistently run block. The O-line in 2020 had some issues but overall was playing better especially pass blocking where they had a very good rating. 

The second factor is teams adjusting to Josh and some issues with playcalling. I do think the playcalling was hampered by O-line play but there were certainly some non-Oline related issues with playcalling. But teams simply were more willing to force Josh to play "patient" and dink and dunk them to death. Josh at times would just take what the defense was giving him other times he would be hampered and force plays which resulted in turnovers. 

I feel that if this team can find a way to get better more consistent O-line play along with Josh adjusting to defenses he will be a consistent top 2-3 QB year in and year out. No QB not even Mahomes has his physical gifts.

I think that when Josh’s total offensive contributions are considered, he is more than a top 5 QB (rushing yards and rush TDs)

I agree with you that Josh does need to take a step as far as “taking what he’s given”

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Sure….but burrow has thrown several deep balls right on the money where only his stud WRs can catch the ball.  

4 hours ago, TH3 said:

Somehow JA off games get way more noticed than others….

Agreed.  

judging by the some of responses here, not many of you watch other teams QBs. All of them have off games. Josh’s seem to get a lot more attention than the others. 

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Sure….but burrow has thrown several deep balls right on the money where only his stud WRs can catch the ball.  

Burrow is arguably the most accurate QB in the NFL right now and that’s huge praise, I know.

• Agree 1

If Josh takes what they give him all day he can be unstoppable. NE was the perfect example, keep dumping off to Singletary all day if that’s how they want to play him. Then take his shot. 

At the same time he makes plays Qbs just don’t do, fits balls into windows that only his arm strength will allow and can extend a play until the very last moment and it’s that exact moment when he unleashes the ball that he either does something just jaw dropping or turns it over. 

I wonder how much the coaches are in his ear re the take what they give or just letting him be who he is and trusting him to be self aware. 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Like (+1) 1

7th? Way too low. 

Murray ahead of him is a joke.

I guess you have an argument for Burrow and Herbert but I'd take Josh over them 10 out of 10 times. 

Allen again played in terrible weather. I can see if the opposing QB is lighting it up in these bad weather games but Ryan was just as bad if not worse which is usuallythe case for opposing qbs in these games . 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that when Josh’s total offensive contributions are considered, he is more than a top 5 QB (rushing yards and rush TDs)

I agree with you that Josh does need to take a step as far as “taking what he’s given”

When I said this 2 months ago I got trashed on here🤷🏻‍♂️

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.