Questions Surrounding a New Stadium in OP .

T master

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I like your posts Nanook, but it seems to me the recent home game against Pats* somehow turned out to be advantage black hats, though perhaps that was coaching. I think they held Allen back. Still think if you have an elite offense, optimum conditions favor your team. Also, the older I get, the less I like to freeze. Logic posted some designs that cut down on the wind, which is a fair compromise, though I take it you would be opposed to this as well.

If you could cut down wind with a design I don't think that would be a problem

I still think a lot of quarterbacks which struggle here and that would only make Josh Allen better

I think surrounding him with hogs that can keep him upright and get a ground game going will help make his dual threat skills go to a different level

And our offense might be uncontainable

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

If you could cut down wind with a design I don't think that would be a problem

I still think a lot of quarterbacks which struggle here and that would only make Josh Allen better

I think surrounding him with hogs that can keep him upright and get a ground game going will help make his dual threat skills go to a different level

And our offense might be uncontainable

Dome or not, I hope this happens. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It will all be new.

The Bills will be playing at New Era 7 months prior to the new palace opening. Most of the stadium will be completed by then and everything at New Era will be needed until the final whistle at the end of the AFC Championship game.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

"...Mem'ries may be beautiful and yet
What's too painful to remember
We simply choose to forget

So it's the laughter we will remember
Whenever we remember the way we were

The way we were"

I want the seat we sat in during the 2009 Cleveland game when the Bills lost 6-3. My life is worthless without that bench.  I will gladly pay 8 dollars for it!  😌...

8 dollars seems overpriced for your life....

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

If people want a dome .. you should just say you want a dome because you don't want to sit in the elements 

Amen. Stop this nonsense about hosting Super bowls, NCAA games, winter stadium concerts, and all these other fairytale dreams. Just say "I'm fat and old and I can't take the cold weather anymore." That's honestly the best argument.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

If the State of NY along with the Owner can’t pool their collective resources to construct a simple dome stadium on property they already own and with virtually no additional infrastructure costs to bear…there’s really something WRONG!

100% agree!!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, QCity said:

Amen. Stop this nonsense about hosting Super bowls, NCAA games, winter stadium concerts, and all these other fairytale dreams. Just say "I'm fat and old and I can't take the cold weather anymore." That's honestly the best argument.

nobody wants to sit in the elements. Even the old guard who want the open air weather want a roof over their heads, heated seats, radiant heat lights above. Why? How can they enjoy "Buffalo Bills weather" like that.

People with money sit in the clubs so they can go inside.

Then you have open air proponent owners who never sit outside. Always in climate controlled suites. 

Makes no sense.

13 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

They can probably reuse a lot of the copper wiring or at least sell it for scrap to save money.  Every little bit helps!

How bout the stadium lights?  I'd like a bank of those to repurpose for security lights on the 4 corners of my house with motion detectors.  Go Bills.

8 hours ago, purple haze said:

How have the scope and quality been reduced?  How big a stadium does Buffalo need?  60-65,000 is perfect.  The quality will most likely be very high.  1.4 or so billion isn’t “cheap.”

If they put a roof on the new stadium would the scope and quality suit you then?  

I'm not big on trusting politicians and owners to represent the interest of people as much as I used to think.  

I haven't seen much from the Pegula's to believe they're in it for the fans as much as some once thought. 10+ years into their ownership of Buffalo teams I don't need  to explain why.  

8 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I’m guessing the field house and training facility would remain there, since it’s relatively new and considered state of the art … maybe the area would become “MafiaVille, with hotels and restaurants ( I actually laughed as I wrote that, knowing it will NEVER happen), but more than likely, it’s a parking lot. 

IF it becomes parking lot, I hope they mark significant game moments on the asphalt like Willie Parker of Steelers scored a TD here to squash Bills playoffs spot, or OJ broke season rushing record on this spot, Jim Kelly got sacked here to end his career, or Frank Reich threw winning touchdown from this spot in greatest comeback, and on and on.  This could be a separate thread someday.  Marks all over the parking lot.   They did this in a parking lot in Atlanta to mark Hank's 715 homerun.  Go Bills!!

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Not happening. Hochul already said wherever he wants the stadium is where it's going to be and New York State will do it's part.

What if Josh Allen demands a trade unless the new stadium is a dome?  Time to step up #17.

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

I'm not big on trusting politicians and owners to represent the interest of people as much as I used to think.  

I haven't seen much from the Pegula's to believe they're in it for the fans as much as some once thought. 10+ years into their ownership of Buffalo teams I don't need  to explain why.  

They are in it to make money.  It’s a business.  Within that they do Fan engagement.  Their research with fans came up that the majority who responded wanted open air and to keep the tailgating tradition.  And that’s the stadium they’re choosing to have.  They’re meeting the fans who want a roof with the overhang over the seats to stave off the elements.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1

I surrender! our governor wants to showcase manhood (but wasn’t that the last creepy governor?)  So, FA, competitives….nope. We showcase our manhood for 59 yrs :)

JAN 7: “To keep it open air is part of the Buffalo bravado,” Hochul said, “which people love to showcase.”

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

If the State of NY along with the Owner can’t pool their collective resources to construct a simple dome stadium on property they already own and with virtually no additional infrastructure costs to bear…there’s really something WRONG!

Maybe all the statistics they have looked towards don't point towards a dome 

12 and 1 at the Ralph in postseason games.. which aren't great weather 

Jack kemp Jim Kelly and Josh Allen give us all an advantage 90% of the league doesn't have.. quarterback who could throw in not great weather 

It's not about being perfect.. it's about being better than the other team's quarterback..  and almost no quarterback will come to January at the Ralph and play well 

A dome will give lesser quarterbacks the chance to play an amazing game and that's the only fact

I love the excuses fans make for wanting a dome. “Recruiting! Who will want to play in these conditions???”

Meanwhile, in Green Bay, Pittsburgh, New England……

I would like to see a dome as well but not having one is not going to hurt a team like Buffalo that has Josh Allen and a stable organization.

• Like (+1) 2

Just curious, did government decision makers poll Buffalo and Suburban residents as to their preference regarding a dome. This is small market thinking at its best. Deny western NY a new stadium for decades opting in favor of refurbishment, and then go cheap in the most horrific weather location in the country. Did they consider the corporate preferences considering their boxes will represent a good % of revenue. This team, with an elite QB, and great receivers, along with a defense with speed would benefit from perfect conditions. Fans would flock to a state of the art, ultramodern retractable roof stadium. Speaking for  myself, coming from LI, I would make a family tradition out of seeing a high leverage Dec game or playoff,  an annual. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Just curious, did government decision makers poll Buffalo and Suburban residents as to their preference regarding a dome. This is small market thinking at its best. Deny western NY a new stadium for decades opting in favor of refurbishment, and then go cheap in the most horrific weather location in the country. Did they consider the corporate preferences considering their boxes will represent a good % of revenue. This team, with an elite QB, and great receivers, along with a defense with speed would benefit from perfect conditions. Fans would flock to a state of the art, ultramodern retractable roof stadium. Speaking for  myself, coming from LI, I would make a family tradition out of seeing a high leverage Dec game or playoff,  an annual. 

I agree, but retractable domes are somewhat old school already. With the new glazing technology they can get tons of natural light in the stadium without the expense and maintenance of the motors, etc. Check out both Minneapolis and Los Angeles as just the latest examples.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I agree, but retractable domes are somewhat old school already. With the new glazing technology they can get tons of natural light in the stadium without the expense and maintenance of the motors, etc. Check out both Minneapolis and Los Angeles as just the latest examples.

I stand corrected, how about something like those.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Just read Hochoul confirmed it’s OP and it’s going to be open air and not a dome. Reportedly both the Pegulas and Hochoul don’t want a dome 

Im assuming it gets demolished. 

Three years after the new stadium is built they will come back asking to add a roof. Bank it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

I know the corporate angle won't sell because so few are left in Western NY but how much extra is it for a roof? Not retractable but just something like a Minnesota or Indy?

19 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

What happens to the old stadium? Does it get demolished? Does it stay intact for Bills practices or high school games?

The old stadium has serious structural issues. Particularly in the upper decks. The only way to even consider keeping it would be to take those down and leave the lower bowl. Even with that there is no need to keep it and continue maintaining it just to practice and host high school games. The Bills have their own practice facilities already, high schools have their own stadiums already and if they want a venue for the section VI playoffs they'd ask for the new stadium anyway.

They will strip out everything that can be sold or recycled, I'd imagine a lot of the concrete will end up as fill for the hole where the stadium is.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I know the corporate angle won't sell because so few are left in Western NY but how much extra is it for a roof? Not retractable but just something like a Minnesota or Indy?

Considering it took 50 big ones to get a new stadium, the difference is not enough to be a deal breaker. I can't  believe that between local Canadian corporate interests and other cities in NY state, Suites wouldn't be desirable if the Bills dominated the AFC.

On 1/7/2022 at 11:15 AM, Albany,n.y. said:

Considering that the new stadium will be built while they're still playing in the old one, I doubt that they'll be salvaging old stuff from the old stadium & putting it in the new one.  More likely they'll try to sell some stuff to a much smaller venue, like a college or high school.  They may take some of the stuff & sell it as souvenirs like they've done in other places with stadium seats etc.  

Hell yeah. My brother is a white Sox fan (for some reason) and has a couple seats from the old Comiskey. I would love it if they gave season ticket holders the opportunity to buy their own seats as souvenirs. 

5 hours ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Just curious, did government decision makers poll Buffalo and Suburban residents as to their preference regarding a dome. This is small market thinking at its best. Deny western NY a new stadium for decades opting in favor of refurbishment, and then go cheap in the most horrific weather location in the country. Did they consider the corporate preferences considering their boxes will represent a good % of revenue. This team, with an elite QB, and great receivers, along with a defense with speed would benefit from perfect conditions. Fans would flock to a state of the art, ultramodern retractable roof stadium. 

Fans will flock to the state of the art, ultramodern open-air stadium that’s going to be built.

On 1/7/2022 at 2:23 PM, cba fan said:

Bills never practice out side in bad weather.

No advantage for Bills in bad weather as this is a passing team and will be for the foreseeable future as all Super Bowl contenders are.

Bills do not win in bad weather since Allen era.

Bills have lost most games with high winds or bad weather at home in current era.

Orchard Park site is highest avg winds for all NFL teams. Even before taking into account the venturi effect, which enhances wind on field, that the dumb 70's engineers built into Highmark.

If your going to win the Super Bowl you need to have a good running game name 1 team in the last 5+ SB's that have won that game by passing only with little to no input from the ground game .

Every team that i remember in recent years that won have had a good or above average running back & running game that they could go to sure Mahomes & the Chiefs won but they had good backs .

Matter of fact one RB won 3 SB's in a row if memory serves me correct Lagarette Blount won 2 with the Pats & 1 with the Eagles .

If the games were played outside like they use to the run game would be even more important but because most are now played inside the passing game becomes more prevalent .

The "Experts" say the running backs are a dime a dozen but like i said name a Super bowl team that didn't have a above average RB that helped them in the regular season & then win the SB .

29 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Fans will flock to the state of the art, ultramodern open-air stadium that’s going to be built.

I guess,being the outdoorsman survivalist type of guy, you enjoy single digit temps with 40mph gusts . Those of us with a preference for more moderate conditions, might opt in favor of watching from home. BTW, woman and kids usually favor perfect conditions. 

There’s an article in today’s Buffalo News that sheds some light on the capacity in the new stadium and data comparing tickets sold to turnstile numbers between 2015-2019. 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/why-buffalo-bills-plan-to-reduce-seating-capacity-despite-building-a-bigger-stadium/article_98cf44be-68f2-11ec-a0d8-ef495b50e812.html

“None of these factors is sustainable, which is why the Bills plan to reduce the capacity in their new stadium to between 60,000 to 62,000 seats and a general admission, standing-room-only party deck with space for up to another 5,000 fans.”

“Highmark Stadium, which opened in 1973, is a little over 900,000 square feet, while the Bills plan to build a new stadium that would be about 1.5 million square feet”

“Raccuia said the Bills’ new stadium would use the additional square footage to incorporate food preparation and maintenance facilities – these are located outside of Highmark Stadium – and to create more temperature-controlled areas and significantly wider concourses. Bills fans can also expect better wireless internet access, bigger monitors and multiple video boards to better compete with their viewing experience at home, as well as increased comfort”

“A financial impact report commissioned by the Bills, which was included among the documents made public last week by New York State, included a breakdown comparing average paid attendance and turnstile attendance from 2015 to 2019. Paid attendance was 64,070 per game, while turnstile was 55,454. That’s for a 10-game season, which means preseason games may slightly suppress the numbers.

The Bills’ average paid attendance this season through eight regular season home games is 68,196, which ranks 14th out of 32 teams, according to ESPN data. It also amounts to 95.2% of stadium capacity, which ranks 20th in the league.”

43 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

There’s an article in today’s Buffalo News that sheds some light on the capacity in the new stadium and data comparing tickets sold to turnstile numbers between 2015-2019. 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/why-buffalo-bills-plan-to-reduce-seating-capacity-despite-building-a-bigger-stadium/article_98cf44be-68f2-11ec-a0d8-ef495b50e812.html

“None of these factors is sustainable, which is why the Bills plan to reduce the capacity in their new stadium to between 60,000 to 62,000 seats and a general admission, standing-room-only party deck with space for up to another 5,000 fans.”

“Highmark Stadium, which opened in 1973, is a little over 900,000 square feet, while the Bills plan to build a new stadium that would be about 1.5 million square feet”

“Raccuia said the Bills’ new stadium would use the additional square footage to incorporate food preparation and maintenance facilities – these are located outside of Highmark Stadium – and to create more temperature-controlled areas and significantly wider concourses. Bills fans can also expect better wireless internet access, bigger monitors and multiple video boards to better compete with their viewing experience at home, as well as increased comfort”

“A financial impact report commissioned by the Bills, which was included among the documents made public last week by New York State, included a breakdown comparing average paid attendance and turnstile attendance from 2015 to 2019. Paid attendance was 64,070 per game, while turnstile was 55,454. That’s for a 10-game season, which means preseason games may slightly suppress the numbers.

The Bills’ average paid attendance this season through eight regular season home games is 68,196, which ranks 14th out of 32 teams, according to ESPN data. It also amounts to 95.2% of stadium capacity, which ranks 20th in the league.”

Those attendance figures are just screaming for a dome. Fans aren’t not going because the team stinks or because the tickets are too expensive…it’s the weather! I have no idea why the Bills would toy around with anything other than a simple dome in OP. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.