Packers QB Aaron Rodgers calls award voter 'a bum' following comments that he would not vote for Rodgers

HOUSE

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

I think it essentially is an award for being the best player on one of one of the top teams. I personally think it should be the player that is most valuable to his team - and part of that would have to revolve around winning. However, any way that we try to define it, it always revolves around play on the field, and that has been my primary point. 

I mean, one could argue that Allen is a more valuable player to the Bills because more of the offense runs through his hands and legs?

Then there’s the point about the Pack being 0-1 without Rodgers because Rodgers made a medical decision which resulted in being unavailable, by rule

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, one could argue that Allen is a more valuable player to the Bills because more of the offense runs through his hands and legs?

Then there’s the point about the Pack being 0-1 without Rodgers because Rodgers made a medical decision which resulted in being unavailable, by rule

I absolutely agree that Allen should be in the discussion. He accounts for more of his team's offensive yards and points and than any other player. IMO, he should legitimately be in the discussion.

As to your second point, I believe that Rodger's actions that led to his unavailability is something that is relevant as it can be argued it directly affected on field results. I think that is intellectually consistent with what my stance has been.

51 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don’t disagree with the first sentence.

But the rest of it makes it seem as though you feel MVP is an award for being a prominent player on the team with the most wins.

For what?  He broke the protocols and got fined for it - maybe not as much as the various violations should have justified, but the punishment at that point was fines, not suspension.  He lied to or misled reporters about his vaccination status, but both the NFL and the team say he was honest with them and followed the protocols (with exceptions).

He was fined less than what CeeDee was fined for an untucked jersey…. For putting others at risk.  You think if someone who wasn’t as skilled as Rodgers would have received the same “punishment” for being a pompous ass?

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

HOF voters kept TO out initially.  They lose their votes too?

Pete Rose still isn't in for his play on the field.  MLB voters need to go as well.

You’re comparing HoF voting with MVP voting.

You just compared Aaron Rodgers being a jerk with Pete Rose betting on baseball.   One for MVP…..the other for the HoF.  As if they even close to the same thing? 

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

The MVP Award is about the most valuable player, as in who is the best player in the NFL and most valuable to his team. It is a subjective process, but last I looked, the critria are pretty much confined to the play on the field. His numbers, as well as the fact that the team is 13 -1 this year with him on the field and 0-1 without him, put him right at the top of that list. Until they change the nature of the award and intent, that is all that matters.

Aaron Rodgers might be a complete douche. It is irrelevant. IMHO, OJ Simpson is a murdering piece of s*** and should be in prison for the rest of his life. However, If you are going to ask me to vote on the best running back of all time, then he is in that discussion.

The NFL has awards that exemplify sportsmanship, community involvement, and other things that center around character and behavior. The MVP Award is not one of them. If the want it to be, then they should change the criteria.

Amen

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You’re comparing HoF voting with MVP voting.

You just compared Aaron Rodgers being a jerk with Pete Rose betting on baseball.   One for MVP…..the other for the HoF.  As if they even close to the same thing? 

I didn't do any of that.  Your criticism of these voters for sporting  honors is that they were considering anything but on field performance. 

So you are saying that for HOF, voters are allowed to consider off field considerations.  got it.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It might be worth noting that a reporter could object to Rodgers misleading or lying to reporters about his vaccination status on moral grounds, which would not appear to be “political”.  This behavior has been considered unethical since the time of Moses, maybe before.

Rodgers also made  a medical choice that impacted his football availability.  A reporter could consider that un-MVP like behavior: “the best ability is availability.”

Then there’s the issue of a celebrity using his platform to promote medical advice instead of encouraging people to choose a qualified physician and follow their physician’s advice.  Some consider that immoral or unethical.

Only the second of these would be strictly football relevant.  But the others don’t appear political.  Not relevant to play on the field, but not political.

Some people make everything political  though. 

Indeed. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

I didn't do any of that.  Your criticism of these voters for sporting  honors is that they were considering anything but on field performance. 

So you are saying that for HOF, voters are allowed to consider off field considerations.  got it.

Voting for the HoF and voting for MVP are two completely different criteria.  

One award is “most valuable player”-  which means what? “The Associated Press NFL Most Valuable Player Award is presented annually by the Associated Press (AP) to a player in the National Football League(NFL) deemed to have been the "most valuable" in that year's regular season.”   50 voters vote for who they think is the best player (or most valuable, w/e).  What does that have to do with being a jerk?  It has nothing to do with it.  

HoF has zero criteria to it.  It’s the Hall of Fame.  Voters vote for players that they feel are worthy of being included with the best. Voters vote yearly….often on the same players over and over.  One particular voter may vote no for a player one year and then vote yes the following.  Meanwhile that player, who has accomplished nothing more in over the course of that year, is now deemed worthy. This has always been the case in HoF voting.  Being a 1st ballot HoF is an accomplishment .  Voters use think about whether or not a player is worthy of being “1st ballot”.  When was the last time we heard about a 1st ballot MVP?  Right.  Different voting criteria.  Different award.  Different thing all together.  But compare them all you like. 

50 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Voting for the HoF and voting for MVP are two completely different criteria.  

One award is “most valuable player”-  which means what? “The Associated Press NFL Most Valuable Player Award is presented annually by the Associated Press (AP) to a player in the National Football League(NFL) deemed to have been the "most valuable" in that year's regular season.”   50 voters vote for who they think is the best player (or most valuable, w/e).  What does that have to do with being a jerk?  It has nothing to do with it.  

HoF has zero criteria to it.  It’s the Hall of Fame.  Voters vote for players that they feel are worthy of being included with the best. Voters vote yearly….often on the same players over and over.  One particular voter may vote no for a player one year and then vote yes the following.  Meanwhile that player, who has accomplished nothing more in over the course of that year, is now deemed worthy. This has always been the case in HoF voting.  Being a 1st ballot HoF is an accomplishment .  Voters use think about whether or not a player is worthy of being “1st ballot”.  When was the last time we heard about a 1st ballot MVP?  Right.  Different voting criteria.  Different award.  Different thing all together.  But compare them all you like. 

So when voting for a player "they think is the best", they cannot consider any off-field issues, but when voting for a player to being included "with the best" they certainly can (should?) consider off-field issues when voting them as the best performers in their sport? 

Why should "being a jerk" keep a player out of the HOF (on the 1st or any ballot)?

I think both men are entitled to their opinion, and I dont think what Hub said was wrong.   Further than just the sound bite Hub said a player cant be an MVP if they dont continually put their team in the best position to win, that said Rodgers is 139-65 as a starter for the Packers so it's really hard to argue that despite his attitude he doesnt put his team in the best position to win games.    Not to mention the team has the best record in football this year, the year Hub is voting on.   As such, I think Hub's assertion that he cant vote for Rodgers because of his attitude doesnt hold a lot of water.

On Rodgers, he is someone I've liked more and more.  No matter where he stands on the issue at hand, I dont think someone should be held publicly as some sort of bad person just because he doesnt agree with the crowd, and make no mistake, thats the issue right now.    We are in a very bad place as a society when we let our emotions get in the way of rationale thinking.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So when voting for a player "they think is the best", they cannot consider any off-field issues, but when voting for a player to being included "with the best" they certainly can (should?) consider off-field issues when voting them as the best performers in their sport? 

Why should "being a jerk" keep a player out of the HOF (on the 1st or any ballot)?

The mvp voting and HoF voting are completely different and comparing the two to prove a point is a failed attempt to prove a point.  One is a lifetime award with literally no guidelines for entrance for entry.  Fame.  The other is a yearly award with a clear definition by name.

I don’t have the time nor desire to talk about this with you anymore.  I have my opinion and I disagree with yours.  No reason to go back and forth.  Waste of time

24 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

In HOF voting for baseball there actually is a character clause...that's what is keeping out a lot of the 90's steroid-era guys (yet somehow Ty Cobb is in there).  Not sure if the Pro Football HOF has the same clause because frankly I do not understand their voting at all.  A HOF that has no place for Steve Tasker makes no sense to me.

Just now, NewEra said:

The mvp voting and HoF voting are completely different and comparing the two to prove a point is a failed attempt to prove a point.  One is a lifetime award with literally no guidelines for entrance for entry.  Fame.  The other is a yearly award with a clear definition by name.

I don’t have the time nor desire to talk about this with you anymore.  I have my opinion and I disagree with yours.  No reason to go back and forth.  Waste of time

I was just trying to discern the logic of your argument.  I failed to.

Carry on!

Just now, Son of a K-Gun said:

In HOF voting for baseball there actually is a character clause...that's what is keeping out a lot of the 90's steroid-era guys (yet somehow Ty Cobb is in there).  Not sure if the Pro Football HOF has the same clause because frankly I do not understand their voting at all.  A HOF that has no place for Steve Tasker makes no sense to me.

didn't know that.  

5 hours ago, warrior9 said:

He did not speak the truth, he mentioned he put his organization, fans, etc in a bad spot.

He didn't miss a single game (outside of COVID but so did MANY other players), they are the 1 seed, he's done a LOT for the community, and his teammates love him. Not the mention, MANY players hold out. He is the best player in the league, has done a lot of winner over there and he wants a say in what happens for certain things and wants to feel wanted for by his organization. If Josh did this same thing in 10 years, none of us would be mad (if he had a similar career to Rodgers). 

So what's your point? 

I said he spoke truth about what he thought.  I expressed my opinion that I agreed with him.  Perhaps if your reading comprehension skills were better, you would get the point.  

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, FLFan said:

I said he spoke truth about what he thought.  I expressed my opinion that I agreed with him.  Perhaps if your reading comprehension skills were better, you would get the point.  

Ahh straight to insults. 

No you said- he spoke the truth- "that he is an ignorant and selfish jerk" and calling someone a "selfish jerk" is very subjective with little truth. So perhaps if your literary skills were better you'd understand my point

I refuted your point about him being selfish in that... He NEVER missed a game, he does what all player do, exercise their rights as players. He felt he wanted more power, so he held out (as many players do). He hasn't been selfish in any way shape or form to the organization. If you believe so, explain what he's done that's out of the ordinary and "selfish." All he's done is win the MVP 2 years in a row. 

Edited by warrior9

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

Ahh straight to insults. 

No you said- he spoke the truth- "that he is an ignorant and selfish jerk" and calling someone a "selfish jerk" is very subjective with little truth. So perhaps if your literary skills were better you'd understand my point

I refuted your point about him being selfish in that... He NEVER missed a game, he does what all player do, exercise their rights as players. He felt he wanted more power, so he held out (as many players do). He hasn't been selfish in any way shape or form to the organization. If you believe so, explain what he's done that's out of the ordinary and "selfish." All he's done is win the MVP 2 years in a row. 

You are entitled to your opinion, wrong though you may be, but not to put words in my mouth or tell me I have no point when you just don't get it, not without a retort anyway.  I am done explaining to you now.  Welcome to ignore.

Dude has thrown only 4 INT all year, 13-1 as a starter, GB are the top team in the whole league. So yeah, he has a point. That journalist shouldn't vote anymore if he openly says by summer he had decided not to vote for him. WTH is that? 

Think of all the off season drama, and in the first game they were DESTROYED. Yet they finish on top. Crazy.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It might be worth noting that a reporter could object to Rodgers misleading or lying to reporters about his vaccination status on moral grounds, which would not appear to be “political”.  This behavior has been considered unethical since the time of Moses, maybe before.

Rodgers also made  a medical choice that impacted his football availability.  A reporter could consider that un-MVP like behavior: “the best ability is availability.”

Then there’s the issue of a celebrity using his platform to promote medical advice instead of encouraging people to choose a qualified physician and follow their physician’s advice.  Some consider that immoral or unethical.

Only the second of these would be strictly football relevant.  But the others don’t appear political.  Not relevant to play on the field, but not political.

Some people make everything political  though. 

Great points. Rodgers continues to prove he thinks he is smarter, above others , and that he is deserving of being treated differently.  All of his actions are consistent with what’s important to Rodgers and how he wants to be placed on a pedestal , all of which shows he is NOT worried so much about team as he is worried about himself and a really meaningless award!  It’s a team sport , he is going to be voted MVP anyhow , so why personally  attack a reporter over one vote ( btw this guy has been around longer than Rodgers and has contributed to good publications that helped promote the NFL to get to the popularity it has now.  )?

Rodgers is so worried about perception yet he continues the exact behavior he has become well known for , arrogance and selfishness. Do any of us believe if Josh was about to be voted MVP, but just  one vote went against him , he would have gone on a nationally televised rant!?  No, because Josh and his actions are about team and team goals !   He hasn’t even mentioned not getting placed on the pro bowl roster once unless asked to respond!   Why, because it’s not the TEAMs main goal or potential honor. Rodgers, tho, sees it as just unfathomable that some one could not see how IMPORTANT he is !  He continues to be a joke and parody of what TEAM is about. 

You made a great point about him using his celebrity to promote “ his own interpretation “ of the science stating he did so much research and consulted with “ his team  “ of experts about the vaccine. Well , that’s just Bs as true science has proven the effectiveness of the vaccine against serious illness.  I have stated this several times , it’s an individual choice medically , so His football celebrity does not make his “ research “ or his “ expert” consultants any more valid or correct than your own well trained doctor , as he continues pushing his own opinion as dogma to rationalize his deceptive speech and actions he later apologized for.

All the awards have “ political “ nuances associated with them. See pro bowl voting , see HaLL of FAME VOTING, etc, so why is it any surprise someone chose more issues than just play on the field as a factor for him in his voting?  The only non political thing in football is the final winner of a game or  of the Super Bowl.  The final score is not political or subjective.   Why is the self - absorbed genius so offended and surprised by this and why is it worth becoming such a distraction to the team ranting about an individual award!?  Because its never been about team with him ( as he held the team at ransom or in doubt about his availability all preseason), it’s just consistent behavior that he has to be seen in the same terms as Peyton with 4 mvp awards and he is appalled not everyone is willing to praise and adorn him as if it’s his right.

The irony is incredible; he states the guy is a “bum “ and he “ doesn’t know me”  and “ his vote should be taken away” !  Just about every negative , nasty thing he could come up with , and remember, this is from a guy WINNING the award and is just upset its not unanimous!  A few seconds later when asked if Rodgers knows the voter personally , He stated NO , I have no idea who he is. There it is , Rodgers chastising the voter for not knowing Rodgers personally ( as if that would change the guys reasons for his vote , esp give Rodgers charm!), all while wanting his voting ability stripped etc , yet never  having met Hub or knowing him personally.   The Rodgers Rule , just like his prophetic State Farm rate commercials !   Any guy who was dating Danica Patrick and manages to mess that up, is just adding more fuel to the fire all the time ; I don’t know him personally but I am voting he is an ASS, just as much as he might be MVP! 😀😉

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I can't think of any football player that has changed my opinion of him, so drastically, more than Rodgers has this season. 

He has always had a aloof sort of "I'm too smart for everyone" vibe, but in a low-key sort of way.

But this season, he confirmed whatever possible negative ideas I had about him... he is a smug, arrogoant douche.  But, a hell of a QB.   

Unless he is playing against the Patriots in the Super Bowl, I don't think I will ever find myself rooting for the Packers, like I always have, when the Bills aren't affected...as long as he is there.  I might even find myself pulling for Brady (who, if they insist the MVP has to go to a QB, is every bit as deserving if not more-so than Prince Rogers), should the Bucs and Packers somehow face each-other in the playoffs.

Rodgers is a bum!  

Edited by Buftex
  • Agree 1

Be interesting if the Super Bowl ends up getting moved to Dallas.  League won't want to risk a restricted game attendance wise* + key players not playing.  Yes I'm assuming the Packers get there.

*based on California's history on this matter and the current wave.

Edited by driddles

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.