2 seed in play?

Virgil

There are so many threads, I didn't know where to put this.  So MODS, feel free.

While the 1 seed is eliminated for us, I believe the 2 seed is very realistic and would give us two home games at a minimum.  Both the Bengals and Chiefs have locked up their divisions.  If the Titans beat the Texans, which they should, then the Chiefs and Bengals could very well rest their starters for the game.  Now, they could also both play for the 2 seed, who knows.  Buffalo is the only team still playing for the division and has a reason to win the game. 

If we get the 2 seed, I'd be rooting pretty hard for the Raiders to make the playoffs.  Round 2 would be interesting and the Titans look to be getting Henry back for the 2nd round.  All in all, for how this season has gone, the 2 seed would really offset a lot of the ups and downs of this season.  It's crazy to think we'd only be a Josh Allen slip away from the 1 seed.

Edit - It's since been pointed out that the Chiefs play Saturday.  So this could all be a moot point by the time the Bills play on Sunday.  Lame

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1

That would be huge - a chance to host possibly 2 home playoff games rather than just 1? Honestly though, if round 2 is facing Tennessee or Indy, I really don't have a lot of faith if it is yet another bad weather game. Not saying "We NeEd A dOmE" or that I would rather see those games played away, just my opinion.

Would love to see a retractable roof someday though. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, No_Matter_What said:

Chiefs play on Saturday, i.e. before Titans. They are not resting anyone.

Listen here buddy.  I'm going to need you to take your logic and reason somewhere else.  Don't you ever come at me with facts again.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 21
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I think it's more likely we get the #3 seed. 

Mixon and a host of other Bengals are on the COVID list, and while I still think they'll beat the Browns, it at least seems reasonable to me that they could lose in an upset. If they lose and the Bills win, Bills are #3 seed.

If that happens, I believe our most likely opponent in round 1 would be the Colts, not the Patriots. Pick your poison, I guess.

41 minutes ago, Conlan58 said:

That would be huge - a chance to host possibly 2 home playoff games rather than just 1? Honestly though, if round 2 is facing Tennessee or Indy, I really don't have a lot of faith if it is yet another bad weather game.

If we play Indy in the divisionals or AFCCG, we would still be at home for that, so we could have 2 home games regardless. Heck, I think we could conceivably host 3 games, if 6 and 7 upset 3 and 2, respectively, and 7 then goes on to upset 1.

So, correct me if I am wrong, the optimal situation would the number 4 Bills beating number 5 New England in the WC, then hosting the number 6 Colts or Raiders in the divisionals, then hosting the number 7 Colts or Chargers in the AFCCG. This assumes Patriots, Chiefs, and Bengals wins and the Steelers not getting into the post-season, all of which are very likely (well, except maybe the Patriots beating Miami).

Edited by chongli

Even if the Titans were guaranteed the first seed, I don't understand why the Chiefs and Bengals wouldn't want to play for the chance for the #2 seed. Besides, Chiefs play on Saturday and Bengals play at the same time as Titans. 

Unfortunately, the Broncos have been dreadful, Lock is awful and the team is spiraling. I guess they could still win but it'll be a big upset.

Likewise, Browns also at home but equally abysmal of late. Last win was a month ago against the Lamar Jackson-less Ravens; and almost/should have lost. Again, they have a chance by putting it together, playing for pride, etc., but it would be an upset. 

• Like (+1) 2

If this week plays out certain ways than it could be the Colts or Pats heading to Arrowhead. A case could be made for either to pull that upset.

Bengals are streaking right now, but have been up and down much of the year on a week to week basis. Even in the 4 slot we could host 2 games. 

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

Mixon and a host of other Bengals are on the COVID list, and while I still think they'll beat the Browns, it at least seems reasonable to me that they could lose in an upset. If they lose and the Bills win, Bills are #3 seed.

If that happens, I believe our most likely opponent in round 1 would be the Colts, not the Patriots. Pick your poison, I guess.

Unless the Raiders and Patriots win. I believe Raiders hit the 6 seed then.

Edited by No Place To Hyde
  • Like (+1) 2

I think it's highly probable that KC, Cincy Bills and Indy win, which would make Buffalo the #4, and Indy could still be the 5th, 6th or 7th seed.

If so, then:

- Pats win and they are #5, and play at Bills.  Simple enough. 

- If Pats lose, they are #6 if LAC wins, and Bills play the Colts.

- If Pats lose, they are #7 if Raiders win, and Bills play the Raiders. 

Assuming the Colts win versus the Jags, IMO, we want the Pats or Raiders to win to avoid Colts in the first round.  

All bets are off if KC or Cincy lose. 

Edited by Max Fischer
  • Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Why would you want the # 2 seed? Haven't you heard? Allen doesn't play well at home...

He quantifiably plays better on the road, and there hasn't been a "home field advantage" in the NFL for 3 seasons now---using math.

But you still gotta have that home field game, huh?

Just now, Hebert19 said:

Burrow not playing means this is possible if chiefs lose. 

I'd be stunned if Denver  beats KC, but it could happen.  This is the NFL.

Don't count on it.

I'm honestly not caught up in seeding.  It's more about who we would get as our game partner--who would we match up with--that's way more important than raw seeding number.

I want to see us get Raiders or New England, at least in the first game.

We are going to have to go through KC at some point anyway!

KC plays on Saturday with the 2 seed at stake, meaning securing 2 home games with a win.  They're 10.5 point favorites and should cover.

The real dilemma occurs when Cincy tanks it under the guise of resting their starters.  It seems Cincy would prefer the 4 seed (as would I).  The 4 seed will probably play NE instead of Indy at home.  Then assuming a win would play at Tenn instead of having to play at KC.  Once again the preferred matchup.  The league should have made KC and Cincy play at the same time.

If Cincy loses a loss by the Bills to the Jets would bring an easier path.  Assuming NE and Indy then win.  NE goes to 3 and Indy  would be 5 and the path for the Bills would then be at NE followed by  at Tenn, instead of the home vs Indy and away vs KC.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

KC plays on Saturday with the 2 seed at stake, meaning securing 2 home games with a win.  They're 10.5 point favorites and should cover.

The real dilemma occurs when Cincy tanks it under the guise of resting their starters.  It seems Cincy would prefer the 4 seed (as would I).  The 4 seed will probably play NE instead of Indy at home.  Then assuming a win would play at Tenn instead of having to play at KC.  Once again the preferred matchup.  The league should have made KC and Cincy play at the same time.

If Cincy loses a loss by the Bills to the Jets would bring an easier path.  Assuming NE and Indy then win.  NE goes to 3 and Indy  would be 5 and the path for the Bills would then be at NE followed by  at Tenn, instead of the home vs Indy and away vs KC.

You're not wrong.  I want the division.  But, that aside, I would rather play NE and Tenn on the road in the first two games than the Colts at home, then potentially KC on the road

12 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

He quantifiably plays better on the road, and there hasn't been a "home field advantage" in the NFL for 3 seasons now---using math.

I'd be stunned if Denver  beats KC, but it could happen.  This is the NFL.

Don't count on it.

I'm honestly not caught up in seeding.  It's more about who we would get as our game partner--who would we match up with--that's way more important than raw seeding number.

I want to see us get Raiders or New England, at least in the first game.

We are going to have to go through KC at some point anyway!

Josh Allen Playoff record:

2-0 at home

0-2 on the road

Because math isn't the only answer.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

This only starts to make sense if KC wins (as expected) at Denver on Sunday. If KC loses, then the Bengals would have a shot at #2 seed and two home playoff games.   Even if they shrug at #3 or #4, there is still a chance KC loses to the #7 seed, then the #3 gets a home game.  

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

You're not wrong.  I want the division.  But, that aside, I would rather play NE and Tenn on the road in the first two games than the Colts at home, then potentially KC on the road

Not afraid to play anyone anywhere. What a bunch of image.png.c33b6940fff60043ac0d691289919d5a.png

image.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

2-0 at home

0-2 on the road

Josh Allen having a better passer rating on the road vs. at home does not prove he plays better on the road. Of course his passer rating is going to skew higher when late season road games are indoors instead of in Orchard Park... But both teams have to play in the same OP weather, and until you prove that Josh's passer rating decreasing more than the opposing team's qb in OP, you have not proved anything. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

KC has a LOT to play for against Denver. 

sure they could lose.  But C’mon man 

Joe Burrow is saying he’s sitting Sunday ??giving the Browns a chance to W w/o Baker.  

The #3 seed is for the taking.  

36 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

2-0 at home

0-2 on the road

But the thread said Josh is better on the road!!!!

😂 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I think I'd almost rather have the Pats.  The Colts scare me more.

3 minutes ago, Jeffbigalls said:

Will colts finally win in Jacksonville haven't since 14

lol.  

different teams different results 

but hey up until a few years ago Tampa Bay (even before TB12) had never won a game where the temp was under 36 degrees 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

is that true?  can you show us?    let me guess...no response.

4 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

So basically root for the Chiefs and Bengals to win so we can lock up the 4 and play TN rather than KC - after we win the first playoff game.

One of the 6 or 7 seeds will win in round 1 this playing Tennessee in RD 2 stuff is FAR from a given

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I agree, need to play to win.  Take the division. 

I would love to see KC get upset and then have Cincy do a mad scramble to try and regroup the squad and win.  They would bring back Burrow but Mixon is out.  I think Mayfield is out too.  But Cleveland has Keenum.  Chubb has been banged up.  Hunt was out the last game.  Tough game to call

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

There are so many threads, I didn't know where to put this.  So MODS, feel free.

While the 1 seed is eliminated for us, I believe the 2 seed is very realistic and would give us two home games at a minimum.  Both the Bengals and Chiefs have locked up their divisions.  If the Titans beat the Texans, which they should, then the Chiefs and Bengals could very well rest their starters for the game.  Now, they could also both play for the 2 seed, who knows.  Buffalo is the only team still playing for the division and has a reason to win the game. 

If we get the 2 seed, I'd be rooting pretty hard for the Raiders to make the playoffs.  Round 2 would be interesting and the Titans look to be getting Henry back for the 2nd round.  All in all, for how this season has gone, the 2 seed would really offset a lot of the ups and downs of this season.  It's crazy to think we'd only be a Josh Allen slip away from the 1 seed.

Edit - It's since been pointed out that the Chiefs play Saturday.  So this could all be a moot point by the time the Bills play on Sunday.  Lame

Count me in the crowd that wonders if the return of Henry hurts the Titans more than helps them.  No denying the insane talent Henry is, but I can't help but wonder just how much he can give them when he first gets back.  Long layoffs from injury, its not uncommon for a player to need a couple games before he regains his form.  

Their other RB's have been running pretty well, and switching back to a heavy dose of Henry coming off a long break and injury could slow the offense down a bit.  And they are already struggling to consistently throw the ball.  

Then again, Herny is an athletic freak, so maybe he will hit the field like he never left.  But just can't help but wonder if there will be some rust that works against them.  

Josh Allen plays better on the road for his career stats. More road games is better.

He has greatly improved qb rating and completion percentage.

Listen to the locked on bills podcast Tuesday episode he goes over the stats. (Joe marino)

Edited by Sharky7337

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.