QB 2022-23 Extensions.. Trades... Rookie Class

Huh? What?

I thought Darnold was playing better than Mayfield earlier this season... so I am prone to being wrong...

Mayfield 30-31 million per year extension with a 3 term

Jackson... this one is a challenge..he has an MVP and could be worthy Allen-Mahomes money.. but... he reminds me of Robert Griffin with a knee injury pending..

Rodgers... Green Bay

Wilson... Denver

Cousins... Carolina(?)... or New Orleans... maybe going out a limb here possible Miami

Watson.... can't see any future until the legal stuff plays out... Does the NFL consider him not playing a year a suspension if his cases get resolved?

and finally... Drew Lock Bills backup with Trubinsky in Washington

Matt Corral - Seattle... Plunkett... Houston

Edited by Huh? What?
new wording

28 minutes ago, Huh? What? said:

I thought Darnold was playing better than Mayfield earlier this season... so I am prone to being wrong...

Jackson... this one is a challenge..he has an MVP and could be worthy Allen-Mahomes money.. but... he reminds me of Robert Griffin with a knee injury pending..

Rodgers... Green Bay

Wilson... Denver

Cousins... Carolina(?)... or New Orleans... maybe going out a limb here possible Miami

Watson.... can't see any future until the legal stuff plays out... Does the NFL consider him not playing a year a suspension if his cases get resolved?

Is there a coherent thought in here somewhere?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 6

I am hoping that unless some team offers Mitch a substantial opportunity in both money and possble playing time that the Bills make a serious attempt to being him back.

We have a physical QB and have dodged him being injured the last couple years. Odds say that won't always be the case. And anyone that watched Mannion attempt to play QB last night or has seen any Giants football for the past month should see how important the backup QB position could be to teams that hope to be in contention.

Add into that the possibility of COVID continuing next year with who knows what kind of strands it is better to be overprepared at the QB position than caught with the cupboard bare.

Edited by No Place To Hyde
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I am hoping that unless some team offers Mitch a substantial opportunity in both money and possble playing time that the Bills make a serious attempt to being him back.

We have a physical QB and have dodged him being injured the last couple years. Odds say that won't always be the case. And anyone that watched Mannion attempt to play QB last night or has seen any Giants football for the past month should see how important the backup QB position could be to teams that hope to be in contention.

Add into that the possibility of COVID continuing next year with who knows what kind of strands it is better to be overprepared at the QB position than caught with the cupboard bare.

Which odds are those?  Some guys are injury prone, and some guys are freaks of nature.  I happen to believe Josh is the latter.  What about him leads you to the conclusion that he is likely to be seriously injured?  If the Bills can bring back Trubisky that's great; but it is also highly unlikely if he is a guy who truly wants another shot at starting (for the reasons noted above).

Covid won't be an issue next season unless a new, more serious variant emerges.  And I continue to believe more and more folks will be vaxxed.

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

I'd rather sign Daniel Jones as a backup when he flames out in NY.

Jones will be a Giant next year because even if he loses his starting job the Giants other backups have been ridiculously bad.  I expect the Giants to bring in a QB who will compete with Jones for the starting job & the loser will be the backup.  Glennon & Fromm don't belong in the NFL.  To see how bad Fromm is, Glennon was unbelievably bad yesterday, but after seeing Fromm the week before, the Giants never replaced Glennon with Fromm.  

Drew Lock, Sam Darnold, Daniel Jones are great Trubisky replacements. 

Unfortunately, they're all going to be under contract next year. I think come 2023, we have our pick of the litter.

I could honestly see us trading a late round pick for Drew Lock if Trubisky isn't back. Lock would be a perfectly fine backup for Josh. 

5 minutes ago, eball said:

Which odds are those?  Some guys are injury prone, and some guys are freaks of nature.  I happen to believe Josh is the latter.  What about him leads you to the conclusion that he is likely to be seriously injured?  If the Bills can bring back Trubisky that's great; but it is also highly unlikely if he is a guy who truly wants another shot at starting (for the reasons noted above).

Covid won't be an issue next season unless a new, more serious variant emerges.  And I continue to believe more and more folks will be vaxxed.

The odds that football is a physical game and even the toughest players miss time.  Ankle rolls, landing wrong on a shoulder, concussion and on and on. And if I recall correctly the freak of nature has shown a human side and missed games his rookie year. Does that make him injury prone? No. But shows he's human and not impervious to being injured.  And while Allen is tough and would likely try and tough things out having a suitable back up option is never a bad thing.

The bolded is kind of a weird response in my view. We heard the same thing last year. And the year before. Why would you expect next year be much different? Failing to plan is planning to fail. Project the worst and hope it's not needed.

2 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

The odds that football is a physical game and even the toughest players miss time.  Ankle rolls, landing wrong on a shoulder, concussion and on and on. And if I recall correctly the freak of nature has shown a human side and missed games his rookie year. Does that make him injury prone? No. But shows he's human and not impervious to being injured.  And while Allen is tough and would likely try and tough things out having a suitable back up option is never a bad thing.

The bolded is kind of a weird response in my view. We heard the same thing last year. And the year before. Why would you expect next year be much different? Failing to plan is planning to fail. Project the worst and hope it's not needed.

Like I said...seriously injured.  Anyway, the point is that Trubisky is as good as gone if he wants a chance to start.

As for Covid...in 2020 there were no vaccines, lots of people dying, and we didn't know what we didn't know.  Now there are vaccines and the latest variant is a significantly watered-down virus that has everyone changing the way we think about Covid going forward.  Who said there is no planning?  I'm just talking about reality.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Joe Mama said:

Why do most people think Trubisky is gone? No one was willing to pay him this year, and he has not played to change anyone's mind.

My wishful thinking is that the Sam Darnold experiment in Clt turns suitors off to Trubisky and he stays here.

I think someone will take a flyer on him saying he has a chance to compete for a starting position. Maybe a team who drafts a Rookie next year.

5 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Yes, because I was being serious…

Some people are serious about that. It's hard to tell sarcasm from sincerity these days, just as it's difficult to tell a real headline from an Onion headline.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, eball said:

Like I said...seriously injured.  Anyway, the point is that Trubisky is as good as gone if he wants a chance to start.

As for Covid...in 2020 there were no vaccines, lots of people dying, and we didn't know what we didn't know.  Now there are vaccines and the latest variant is a significantly watered-down virus that has everyone changing the way we think about Covid going forward.  Who said there is no planning?  I'm just talking about reality.

While I'm not wanting to continue the COVID talk here...because we both know how the waves ripple from other posters 😂 (more than willing to PM about it) I would be intrested to know exactly how many games in your definition is "serious"?

Look at this season. We are at week 18 and need a win to secure the division. We had a razor thin margin for error headed to the last 2 weeks to even get into the playoffs. Even 1 game could very well.mean the difference between a possible chance at a Super Bowl run and heading home after 17 games. That is the reality of today's parity filled NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'd rather sign Daniel Jones as a backup when he flames out in NY.

Why?  I haven't seen anything in Jones' play that suggests he'd make a decent backup QB.  

I'm not a fan of bringing in failed first round QBs as backups.   First round QBs get every opportunity to succeed, but they don't perform very well.  That says to me that a failed first rounder is unlikely to improve significantly because he couldn't figure out the pro game.  

30 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Unfortunately, they're all going to be under contract next year. I think come 2023, we have our pick of the litter.

I could honestly see us trading a late round pick for Drew Lock if Trubisky isn't back. Lock would be a perfectly fine backup for Josh. 

Maybe Jones.............Lock and Darnold are terrible QBs

32 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Darnolds personal relationship w Josh makes me wonder about the  calculus in that situation.  Better to have a professional only relationship imho.

10 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Why?  I haven't seen anything in Jones' play that suggests he'd make a decent backup QB.  

I'm not a fan of bringing in failed first round QBs as backups.   First round QBs get every opportunity to succeed, but they don't perform very well.  That says to me that a failed first rounder is unlikely to improve significantly because he couldn't figure out the pro game.  

So Trubisky sucks??

2 hours ago, Huh? What? said:

Rodgers... Green Bay

Wilson... Denver

So who’s paying mayfield 30-31 million??? Cause I can almost guarantee it won’t be Cleveland.He’ll be lucky if he gets 25. And why in the hell would we want Lock as a back up? Have you watched him play? I’d rather keep Trubisky or bring back Fitzpatrick. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

So who’s paying mayfield 30-31 million??? Cause I can almost guarantee it won’t be Cleveland.He’ll be lucky if he gets 25. And why in the hell would we want Lock as a back up? Have you watched him play? I’d rather keep Trubisky or bring back Fitzpatrick. 

The baker mayfield contract is going to be interesting.  If I’m Andrew Berry, I’m trying to land AR, Watson or Wilson. If I can’t get one of them….I’d be sad and contemplate retirement. 

• Like (+1) 1

Drew Lock is one of the worst QBs currently in the NFL, he won't even be a backup on a bad team next year. If he's in the league at all, it'll be mid-season signing to a team that lost a QB, & he'll be a backup to the backup.

I think Minshew would be ideal as our QB2, but he's under contract. I'd consider swapping a 3rd or 4th to Philly for the stache, especially if we get an extra 3rd rounder for Frazier leaving to become a HC.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Darnolds personal relationship w Josh makes me wonder about the  calculus in that situation.  Better to have a professional only relationship imho.

Trubisky appears to be pretty tight with Josh too. Mitch & his wife were among the few guests at Josh Allen's New Year's Eve party.https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/josh-allen-nye-party-instagram/

7 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

The little bit that Mitch played this year didn't do anything to see other teams in a bidding war for his services, so agree, he could be back.  But he may get a similar deal in a place like Miami or Cleveland where you have a clear #1 QB (assuming Tua and Mayfield return) but his status is much more shaky than Allen.  The only way the backup plays in Buffalo, Green Bay, KC, or Tampa is due to injury or blow out. (probably leaving out a couple teams I'm forgetting about)

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Huh? What? said:

Rodgers... Green Bay

Wilson... Denver

Ok if I am following..

Mayfield doesn’t get extended and they go all in to swoon Rogers for a 2 year deal to win it all.. (they are close)

Jackson — Will get a huge extension and continue his decline.

Rogers — To Cleveland or Denver whoever swoons him better.

Wilson — doesn’t want to leave and Seattle says they aren’t trading him. (Also has to approve any trade) so Seattle he will stay.

Watson — Gets traded before the draft to GB for 2 1st and a 2nd. 

Devante Adams — Gets signed by NE LOL I kid, he probably resigns with GB.

8 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

next year buffalo at chicago.

I don’t think much gets any big offers..he hasn’t done anything.  He might go to try and get a starting gig somewhere.

teams likely looking for vet QBs ( not bridge QBs till their 1st rounder is ready)

1. Washington

2. giants

3. Steelers

4. Denver 

others if current QBs leave/ retire 

1. packers

2. vikings

3. seahawks

4. falcons

Marriota  is a free agent after the season from the Raiders. He’s a mobile QB so offense wouldn't need to change. 

Fitz Would com back if offered.

I think grub stays given the limited market out there.  He’s not going to get a 3rd chance if he goes somewhere and the team doesn’t succeed. He’s still young.  If he waits 1 more year there might be more job openings with old QBs retiring.

I don’t think Pittsburgh is a good place to go. This year the team games won have been by just 1 score. Their losses have been multi score games loses if Ben didn’t do a late rally against Minnesota and chargers

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.