Beasley test positive

Buffalo_Stampede

7 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

100% chance that statement is wrong.

Um, wrong. If 20% of the league has it right now, they all will have it shortly. It is highly contagious and locker rooms and meeting rooms are like petri dishes. You can't stop this virus once it gets to those levels. I bet half the league will have it by year's end. All by the playoffs. Which will conveniently lead to ZERO positives in the playoffs.

Edited by Evian
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The NFL purposefully designed the protocols in the first place to punish players for not being vaccinated, in the hopes that it would encourage more players to get vaccinated. The design worked. I know of several players that got the vaccine just in the interest of being available for their team, Emmanuel Sanders being one. The protocols were not designed with the goal of 100% effectiveness or safety. They were designed to minimize the number of unvaccinated players in NFL locker rooms and on that goal they succeeded.

I agree with that rationale, and it was effective at increasing vaccination rates. So now that they made changes anyhow in the face of changing circumstances, they might as well change this rule, too. After all those who got vaccinated can't undo it and those who haven't aren't going to. Why not make it easier on themselves, for example by letting unvaxxed players test out with sufficient number of negative tests rather than a fixed 10 day rule? Granted, most of them will not test out much quicker, but at this point the NFL's priorities have shifted to player availability so I think they should lean in.

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No question it's more contagious than Delta.  It's out-competing Delta very effectively (though Delta is still out there).  That doesn't mean the Doctor's estimated Ro in the article to which I was responding (from @Sheneneh Jenkins) is correct or that it's the "second most contagious virus on the planet". 

Agree.

The estimate of 15 is high.

Its really early days, but most experts have estimated it to be from 3-10.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(21)00559-2/fulltext

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

I don’t think he was 100% anyway, or he’s just lost a step in general. At any rate, I’m sure he’ll be fine.
Either way hopefully this thing doesn’t completely blow up by the weekend and we’re starting Davis Webb and Christian Wade in Foxboro or something.

Paging Chad Kelly...

3 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

I don’t think he was 100% anyway, or he’s just lost a step in general.

This is an underrated storyline of the offense's regression this year. Beasley has been quite mediocre. Several times this year he has fallen down short of the sticks instead of fighting through a tackle. And he looks a lot slower to me. I'm guessing it's a combination of age and his bruised ribs. Last year losing Beasley in a critical game would have been crushing. This year I don't think it makes a big difference. It may actually work out for the best by forcing the Bills to put the more dynamic player on the field in McKenzie.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Evian said:

Um, wrong. If 20% of the league has it right now, they all will have it shortly. It is highly contagious and locker rooms and meeting rooms are a petri dish. You can't stop this virus once it gets to those levels. I bet half the league will have it by year's end.

Hmmm......

Everyone (ie, 100%) down to 50% in just 30 minutes.

You must have a really dynamic information feed.

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No question it's more contagious than Delta.  It's out-competing Delta very effectively (though Delta is still out there).  That doesn't mean the Doctor's estimated Ro in the article to which I was responding (from @Sheneneh Jenkins) is correct or that it's the "second most contagious virus on the planet". 

Honest question, I don't follow the Covid news much at all, how do they know what variant it is when someone tests positive? Extensive blood test? Or does just a regular swap tell them?

I only ask you because you seem to follow it.

I'm in south Alabama, honestly I only hear about it if I turn on national news.

3 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

So now that they made changes anyhow in the face of changing circumstances, they might as well change this rule, too. After all those who got vaccinated can't undo it and those who haven't aren't going to.

The NFL isn't going to reward those players' stubbornness. They intentionally made it harder on those players, there's no reason to relent now just because we're in the home stretch of the regular season. There's nothing stopping an unvaccinated player from going and getting the vaccine now. A little more inconvenient than it would have been in the offseason but that was their choice and the option is still there.

4 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Hmmm......

Everyone (ie, 100%) down to 50% in just 30 minutes.

You must have a really dynamic information feed.

Learn how to read. 50% by year's end. 1 week from now. 100% by playoff time. 3 weeks from now. ZERO will test positive in playoffs because NFL will stop testing everyone leading up to playoffs. 

Edited by Evian

4 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Honest question, I don't follow the Covid news much at all, how do they know what variant it is when someone tests positive? Extensive blood test? Or does just a regular swap tell them?

I only ask you because you seem to follow it.

I'm in south Alabama, honestly I only hear about it if I turn on national news.

In most cases unless they send it for secondary sequencing, it isn't known, and 1% or less of cases are sequenced. With Omicron, there are sometimes distinctive markers in the standard test indicating a probable Omicron case, because it is different enough to stand out.

14 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I agree with that rationale, and it was effective at increasing vaccination rates. So now that they made changes anyhow in the face of changing circumstances, they might as well change this rule, too. After all those who got vaccinated can't undo it and those who haven't aren't going to. Why not make it easier on themselves, for example by letting unvaxxed players test out with sufficient number of negative tests rather than a fixed 10 day rule? Granted, most of them will not test out much quicker, but at this point the NFL's priorities have shifted to player availability so I think they should lean in.

What you suggest makes sense to me.

21 minutes ago, Beach said:

he is.

Yes to playing by the rules, No on the whining.  Actually I don't even care if he whines about the NFL's rules, but I wish he and his buddy Mongo would lay off on the uninformed proselytizing about covid and health policy.

16 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

I don’t think he was 100% anyway, or he’s just lost a step in general. At any rate, I’m sure he’ll be fine.
Either way hopefully this thing doesn’t completely blow up by the weekend and we’re starting Davis Webb and Christian Wade in Foxboro or something.

I think Beasley has very likely been playing with cracked ribs

4 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

While I lack your certainty in these figures, I tend to agree it could easily be close to that and that most cases will occur before the playoffs.

I am just very confident the NFL is not going to let covid affect any players in the playoffs. I am also confident the stadiums will be full. 95% of players vaccinated and will no longer "need" to be tested. The 5% who aren't vaccinnted already get tested daily and will all test positive over next couple weeks. Clean slate for playoffs.

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think there's a certain degree of alarmism going on.  For example, there were people suggesting that Delta variant was more infectious than Chicken pox, I think when the dust settled a little bit, it didn't turn out that way.

But either way, assuming that distancing and masking are being observed, even measles wouldn't spread to every single person in an NFL locker room.

Well, it’s gone from not being detected in the country to being responsible for 73% of new cases in about three weeks....that’s pretty good evidence that this variant is highly transmissible....let’s just hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Sucks and I hope Cole comes out of it just fine, but let's be honest, I'm not having much difficulty envisioning Kumerow or somebody else matching his recent production. It hurts our depth obviously, and Beasley is somebody you've always got to think about, but with the emergence of Knox and Davis he's hardly been the factor that he was last year. I'd almost prefer to see Kumerow or Hodgins' height just to mix it up a bit.

Kumerow is 6'4" by the way?! Since when. More of him then please.

1 hour ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Coles campaign is a different view that you hold, doesn’t make it disinformation. It’s amazing how some believe they have all the answers and anyone going against that belief is nuts, an idiot, a trouble maker. 🤦

Disseminating information which was complete fiction all summer is the definition of misinformation.  Citing nonsense "research" from people with zero credentials is not a matter of opinion.  Some things are demonstrably false no matter how much it may pain you. 

Its amazing how some people are willing to accept utter nonsense when its convenient.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Unfortunate it happened Patriot week, but the team has underperformed and put themselves in a tough spot. Few players who have tested  positive have cleared protocols in 5 days .. so even if vaxxed he was likely to miss the game .. and at present it appears vaxxed and unvaxxed get it with the vaxxed having less significant symptoms on average. He seems to have an asymptomatic case .. so he may end up with the same net result. 

The team needs to adapt and move on

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Right there’s definitely a huge different in strains too and idk if there’s a test to tell you which strain you have.  Delta could still be absolutely nasty but omicron is sounding very mild but very contagious so far.  A majority of the vaxxed players are gonna get hit with omicron probably…I’m sure most of our team has it if cole does it just comes down to who they randomly test 

The standard PCR test amplifies 2 different Sars-Cov2 virus genes, as well as having positive and negative controls.

Omicron has so many mutations in one of those genes (S gene) that it doesn't amplify in many of the PCR tests.  So a standard PCR test that is "S gene target failure" but otherwise positive is considered presumptive of Omicron.

However just as we were wrapping our heads around having an easy way to detect it, there's now a "Stealth version" where the S gene is detected found in S. Africa, Canada and Australia.

Normally to tell what strain you have, the genome has to be sequenced.  The NFL has been doing this in order to determine whether there is spread within the facility or different introductions from outside.

3 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Unfortunate it happened Patriot week, but the team has underperformed and put themselves in a tough spot. Few players who have tested  positive have cleared protocols in 5 days .. so even if vaxxed he was likely to miss the game .. and at present it appears vaxxed and unvaxxed get it with the vaxxed having less significant symptoms on average. He seems to have an asymptomatic case .. so he may end up with the same net result. 

bingo.  team put themselves in this spot by not winning enough games earlier. 

• Agree 4

Anyone who objectively studies COVID data, or has a relative who works in health care (like my daughter), knows the hospitalization, ICU & death rates are dramatically improved if you are fully vaccinated. Today that means 3 doses. 

That is why NFL policy has favored vaccinated players over unvaccinated players. The latest NFL policy changes are even more favorable to vaccinated players.

Any NFL player who is still trying to argue for more favorable policies for unvaccinated players is wasting their time. There is no chance of that happening. 

From a purely sporting perspective, the teams with the highest percent of vaccinated players have a competitive advantage vs teams with less vaccinated players.   Obviously, the human component is far more important than the sporting component.  See paragraph one for the human component. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

No idea why people are saying it is an asymptomatic case when Cole said in an instagram comment that he has mild symptoms.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Right…doesn’t help the team though cuz he’s out a minimum of 10 days.  The part I don’t get is if you’re vaccinated and get two negative tests you can come back sooner…but won’t the covid test say you’re positive for 90 days after you’ve had it? Are there that many false positives that the vaccinated people are getting subjected to for that rule change to matter? Maybe the players are taking different tests than us plebs though lol but I’ve heard you will test positive for Covid long after you stop showing  symptoms 

90 days I think was a guideline the NFL put in to account for lower probability of re-infection after infection/recovery.  The median time to test negative after even a severe covid infection is something like 20 days.  Course median means half take longer

24 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Stevenson?  

Is he hurt too?

But I'm told I may be mistaken that McDermott already indicated Sanders would miss the Pats game and I agree that it seems un-McDermott like to provide that info.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

90 days I think was a guideline the NFL put in to account for lower probability of re-infection after infection/recovery.  The median time to test negative after even a severe covid infection is something like 20 days.  Course median means half take longer

Is he hurt too?

no was asking if you think he will start as wr 3?  

28 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Sucks and I hope Cole comes out of it just fine, but let's be honest, I'm not having much difficulty envisioning Kumerow or somebody else matching his recent production. It hurts our depth obviously, and Beasley is somebody you've always got to think about, but with the emergence of Knox and Davis he's hardly been the factor that he was last year. I'd almost prefer to see Kumerow or Hodgins' height just to mix it up a bit.

Kumerow is 6'4" by the way?! Since when. More of him then please.

I think people under-rate Cole's abilities as a slot receiver.  He is very, very good at figuring out how a zone defense is playing and finding the hole.

I think he was certainly slowed by his injury, and also by the way teams were playing us.

It is a point that Beasley (with his size) can be taken away when Knox and Davis and other tall guys are theoretically open, but they lack his shiftiness and ability to predict where the seams in the zone coverage are going to be.  Kumerow, when he's played, seems to struggle to get open and sometimes to hang on.

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

no was asking if you think he will start as wr 3?  

Oh.  Not unless something startling has changed.  I don't think he has the route running chops.  I think it would be McKenzie.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

The original statement was that "virtually everyone" would be positive.

There isn't a lot of solid data, but an early study might suggest 70-75% would catch it. (Link) That's still pretty much extremely contagious.

With all respect, that case report involved a Christmas party at a restaurant.  The participants were almost certainly not masked as eating and drinking were involved, and may have been talking loudly as one does in a crowd, and singing, as parties sometimes involve.

Yes, it's extremely contagious.  Yes, that was one of the case reports that got everyone's attention.  No, it's not the same circumstance for transmission as in the NFL facility at present, so we can't infer the same results.

The current NFL policies are that players are to be masked in the facility, are to use grab-n-go boxes and socially distance when eating, and to have virtual meetings.  These are all mitigations.  They may be less effective than last year, but I would still not expect "if one has it, they all have it right now" to be true

7 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

McKenzie is a great backup in the slot. We will miss Cole, but I think McK is up to the task.  Plus, it may help Cole getting a little break— he has been banged up a lot this year.

IIRC after Cole limped off the field, McKenzie was in and Josh targeted him on consecutive pass attempts.

10 minutes ago, Process said:

This inspired me to look him up. He's from Buffalo and went to West Seneca high school. 

Cool!

Played at UB too.  With the way things are going he could be our starting tackle this Sunday.

• Shocked 1

8 hours ago, Hsker4life said:

He will be just fine.

Sure he will. Can't say the same about people with whom he has had any contact.  Some of them may get it from him and some may die from it but hey, as long as Cole is okay then it's all good.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1