Beasley test positive

Buffalo_Stampede

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Cole's response Back in Preseason was "Oh Wait That Never Happens". 

I think it's a common phenomenon that people are emboldened to say crap online that they would never say to a person's face. 

We see a lite version of it as mods - I'm pretty damned sure that some of the crap people say to me in PMs, they wouldn't say to my face.

I expect Beasley has a lot of experience of people saying horrid things to him in social media sometimes but when he meets fans in public they're all "OMG Cole Beasley!  Love the way you play!", and see no reason to doubt his "Oh Wait That Never Happens".

Wasnt there a whole thing about people saying things to him face to face and him and Feliciano making a whole deal about it?

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Cole's response Back in Preseason was "Oh Wait That Never Happens". 

I think it's a common phenomenon that people are emboldened to say crap online that they would never say to a person's face. 

We see a lite version of it as mods - I'm pretty damned sure that some of the crap people say to me in PMs, they wouldn't say to my face.

I expect Beasley has a lot of experience of people saying horrid things to him in social media sometimes but when he meets fans in public they're all "OMG Cole Beasley!  Love the way you play!", and see no reason to doubt his "Oh Wait That Never Happens".

Isn't that true with sports in general, and by extension public figures?  

Chatting with your friends and you said, 'boy Mitch Morse sucked tonight'.... you wouldn't say that to his face (nor would I).  Or other things.  Making jokes about a D-back being afraid to tackle, etc...  Any one of those guys would severely kill me in a fight, but it doesn't stop me from cursing a guy after a terrible Offside penalty, unsportsmanlike conduct, etc.

Even being critical of Beasley, I don't hate him as a person.  I like him because he is on my favorite football team and I have cheered for far worse humans.  I hope he catches 20 passes for 4 touchdowns next time he plays.  

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

Wasnt there a whole thing about people saying things to him face to face and him and Feliciano making a whole deal about it?

Sort of - the incident was supposedly fans yelling at his kids (in his car driving from stadium) "your dad needs to get vaccinated".

Which is out of line IMO, 'cuz, bringing in the Kids really should be out of bounds to decent people (Feliciano's point, and I agree with him on that). 

But it's also a bit different than going nose to nose with a professional football player you encounter in a restaurant or airport concourse and calling him nasty names to his face.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Unless admitted to hospital, I doubt Cole would admit to anything more than mild symptoms.   

Do you really think so?  I personally think that Beasley is pretty much a stand-up guy and have no reason to believe he's a liar. 

After the Rodgers stuff came out, I developed some admiration for Beasley; at least he had the balls to speak up about his beliefs, he's not a lying weasel using "but I'd be attacked on social media!" as an excuse and retrospectively claiming freedom fighter status like AR did.

What worries me is that Day 1 of being infected is early days.  Maybe he'll get through it great, and maybe the worst is waiting for him.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Love Beasley, he seems to be the only sane person with critical thinking skills in the NFL.  I hope he can play this upcoming game. If not, next for sure. 

I love Beasley too, as a football player and as a guy who seems able to be a Man and not a Weasel even if I disagree with him.  But as for "critical thinking skills", in the words of Inigo Montoya, "I do not think those words mean what you think they mean", and a bunch of the stuff he's tweeted out is just factually wrong.

Beasley will not be playing in the Patriots game.  He is symptomatic (by his own admission) and tested positive, and is going to be out for 10 days because he's not vaccinated.  There's a significant probability he would be out for 10 days even if he were vaccinated - per the NFL's Chief Medical Officer infected, vaccinated players return more quickly and are less impacted physically, but most of them are still out for more than 10 days (the median time to a negative covid test in the general population is 20 days, which means half take longer than that)

Beasley may be able to play the following week, if his symptoms continue mild and he is able to stay conditioned.

57 minutes ago, The Red King said:

The Omicron variant is milder, but spreads like wildfire.  Nothing to do with his immune system.  Where Omicron become a threat is in those who are high risk and/or immuno comprimised.  That's the danger it poses.  Not to the normal people that catch it, but the ease they can pass it to the truly vulnerable, given how easily it spreads.

Not going to comment on vaccination.  Just wanted to explain why Omicron is a serious threat despite it being milder in most people that catch it.  I have a bit of a stake in this.  My god-daughter has a compromised immune system, and this terrifies me.

this is about Beasley, to my knowledge he is not immuno comprimised.

42 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Unless admitted to hospital, I doubt Cole would admit to anything more than mild symptoms.   

maybe, thats just guessing

7 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Just read the NY Post.  Allen’s GF was hanging with Beasley’s wife at the game on Sunday.  Not good. 

They must both be vaccinated if they were at the game. Quite a leap to assume a transmission from Beasley to his wife to Allen's girlfriend to Allen himself, especially when 3 people in that chain are fully vaccinated.

Edited by HappyDays

16 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Like Bease said “it’s not covid thats keeping him out of the game”. Proud of this young man. 

But again, as was pointed out up thread - I'm sure you're right, and he's right, and if there weren't NFL rules about it he'd be in there playing (probably along with Epenesa and anyone else who felt well enough to drag their ass in there).  Someone said I'm sure these guys have played through colds and flu and I'm sure that's right.

Look at what that would mean though.  Unless he were super-careful with his mask (which he probably wouldn't be wearing if it wasn't required) and wearing a good mask, an N95 or KN95 (which he probably wouldn't wear because they're a PITA), that means he would be in the building with his infectious respiratory disease, exposing fellow players (who are all young and fit, but whose abilities are bound to be impacted if ill) but also exposing the equipment guys, the food service people, the training staff, and the coaches. 

Many of them are probably not young and fit, or even if they are, live with people who are not young and fit.

I can not and never will understand why people see dragging your butt to work and working when ill as something to take pride in. 

I can understand it's something people are sometimes forced into, either because they're not replaceable and people will die if they don't  (only so many cardiothoracic surgeons in the city, and when you need one, you need one NOW) - or because their cheap-ass employers don't provide paid sick leave and they won't make rent and will set off a downward spiral for their families if they don't work and get paid.

But it's something these guys have to do, and should do mindfully understanding they are putting other people who may be more vulnerable at risk, not some thing to thump your chest and be proud of them for.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

They must both be vaccinated if they were at the game. Quite a leap to assume a transmission from Beasley to his wife to Allen's girlfriend to Allen himself, especially when 3 people in that chain are fully vaccinated.

Honestly would not shock me if it was something that wasn't enforced for player's family members. 

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah.  But apparently they are all buds.  So the question is did they all get together for a meal or whatever after the game?

It is his business.  He has his views and concerns even if they run contrary to facts.  Time for rational thinking.  Dawkins had COVID this summer.  Got vaccinated and got it again.  This illness is different than others we have experienced.   SO time for the next man to step up.

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Nobody’s assuming transmission.  The point is that there might be an increased possibility of transmission. 

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you really think so?  I personally think that Beasley is pretty much a stand-up guy and have no reason to believe he's a liar. 

After the Rodgers stuff came out, I developed some admiration for Beasley; at least he had the balls to speak up about his beliefs, he's not a lying weasel using "but I'd be attacked on social media!" as an excuse and retrospectively claiming freedom fighter status like AR did.

What worries me is that Day 1 of being infected is early days.  Maybe he'll get through it great, and maybe the worst is waiting for him.

I love Beasley too, as a football player and as a guy who seems able to be a Man and not a Weasel even if I disagree with him.  But as for "critical thinking skills", in the words of Inigo Montoya, "I do not think those words mean what you think they mean", and a bunch of the stuff he's tweeted out is just factually wrong.

Beasley will not be playing in the Patriots game.  He is symptomatic (by his own admission) and tested positive, and is going to be out for 10 days because he's not vaccinated.  There's a significant probability he would be out for 10 days even if he were vaccinated - per the NFL's Chief Medical Officer infected, vaccinated players return more quickly and are less impacted physically, but most of them are still out for more than 10 days (the median time to a negative covid test in the general population is 20 days, which means half take longer than that)

Beasley may be able to play the following week, if his symptoms continue mild and he is able to stay conditioned.

Here's a random thought to process. As long as there are not long term or lingering effects when he clears...this may actually HELP the Bills in the long run.

We all know Beasley is (like him or not) one tough SOB. We also have seen he hasn't been quite right physically this year. We know about the ribs, but there may (and likely are) be more knicks, bumps and injuries than we know. Him being forced to sit out and miss a game or 2 not only give him a chance to get right...but also gives Gabe Davis and possibly McKenzie some added snaps to get into a groove as well. It forces Daboll to work in some things that have been missing this year largely. (Jet sweeps, we actually saw a Wild Cat play last week).

And while he is a fantastic player, his on field production is replacable for a short term. Let's see how it all impacts the season. But it the very least him having some time off to heal gives the Bills a boost in the playoffs should they get there.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's possible.  But if true, that would be hella bad PR for the team and the NFL if it came out.

It would. However some teams care less about public perception and more about winning. Patriots sure fall in that catagory. Dolphins were about to mortgage the farm for a QB that would have been a PR nightmare for a bit. Browns signed Kareem Hunt. 

Teams bank on fans having short term memories and moving on from 1 bad PR move to the next one. And thats pretty much what normally happens IMO.

3 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Here's a random thought to process. As long as there are not long term or lingering effects when he clears...this may actually HELP the Bills in the long run.

We all know Beasley is (like him or not) one tough SOB. We also have seen he hasn't been quite right physically this year. We know about the ribs, but there may (and likely are) be more knicks, bumps and injuries than we know. Him being forced to sit out and miss a game or 2 not only give him a chance to get right...but also gives Gabe Davis and possibly McKenzie some added snaps to get into a groove as well. It forces Daboll to work in some things that have been missing this year largely. (Jet sweeps, we actually saw a Wild Cat play last week).

And while he is a fantastic player, his on field production is replacable for a short term. Let's see how it all impacts the season. But it the very least him having some time off to heal gives the Bills a boost in the playoffs should they get there.

And he won’t need to test again for 90 days so barring injury he will be good to go for the playoffs (assuming we get in, of course)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

And he won’t need to test again for 90 days so barring injury he will be good to go for the playoffs (assuming we get in, of course)

Aye, that's the Rub.  IF we get in.

On the other hand, if the Bills "took care of business" earlier in the year against the Titans and Jax, and perhaps took 1/2 of the Pats/Bucs, we wouldn't be having this convo.  Made bed, gotta lie in it

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Aye, that's the Rub.  IF we get in.

On the other hand, if the Bills "took care of business" earlier in the year against the Titans and Jax, and perhaps took 1/2 of the Pats/Bucs, we wouldn't be having this convo.  Made bed, gotta lie in it

I’m definitely worried about it. :(

• Agree 1

I’m not going through 30+ pages (half of which have deleted posts). Just listened to McDermotts’ Presser and usual, he said absolutely nothing. 

Is it fair to say he could be back for this game? Others who’ve tested positive on a Tuesday returned by Sunday.. Obvi depending on vax status.

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m not going through 30+ pages (half of which have deleted posts). Just listened to McDermotts’ Presser and usual, he said absolutely nothing. 

Is it fair to say he could be back for this game? Others who’ve tested positive on a Tuesday returned by Sunday.. Obvi depending on vax status.

He could if vaccinated, but

1) the indications seem to remain (from his Instagram post) that Beasley is not vaccinated - he is distinguishing between himself and "a vaccinated teammate"

2) even if he were vaccinated, Allen Stills (the NFL's CMO) has stated that 20% of the vaccinated players come back sooner than 10 days, meaning 80% don't. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

No, he’s out 10 days. He could be available for Atlanta but will miss practice that week.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He could if vaccinated, but

1) the indications seem to remain (from his Instagram post) that Beasley is not vaccinated - he is distinguishing between himself and "a vaccinated teammate"

2) even if he were vaccinated, Allen Stills (the NFL's CMO) has stated that 20% of the vaccinated players come back sooner than 10 days, meaning 80% don't.  In general studies, the mean time to test negative has been 20 days, meaning half take longer.

Rapaport tweeted out yesterday that he’s not vaccinated 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Isn't that true with sports in general, and by extension public figures?  

Chatting with your friends and you said, 'boy Mitch Morse sucked tonight'.... you wouldn't say that to his face (nor would I).  Or other things.  Making jokes about a D-back being afraid to tackle, etc...  Any one of those guys would severely kill me in a fight, but it doesn't stop me from cursing a guy after a terrible Offside penalty, unsportsmanlike conduct, etc.

Even being critical of Beasley, I don't hate him as a person.  I like him because he is on my favorite football team and I have cheered for far worse humansI hope he catches 20 passes for 4 touchdowns next time he plays.  

I had to laugh about the 'far worse humans' remark because I'm in the same boat.  

When I read stuff like this, I'm amazed at how arrogant idiocy can be:  "Thank you for those who support. To everyone else, if you don't get what's happening there is nothing anybody can do for you."

But Beas hasn't killed or beaten anybody as far as I know.  And I'll cheer loudly every time he gets us a first time or TD.  I hope he averages 10 catches a game when he comes back.  

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

While I also admire Beasley for standing up for his beliefs/convictions, a true stand-up guy IMO, also knows when to shut up when causing a needless distraction.

He is not playing because he knew the rules and stuck by his non-vaccinated beliefs.  Now he chooses to blame the rules and not his decision.  That's not stand-up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

While I also admire Beasley for standing up for his beliefs/convictions, a true stand-up guy IMO, also knows when to shut up when causing a needless distraction.

He is not playing because he knew the rules and stuck by his non-vaccinated beliefs.  Now he chooses to blame the rules and not his decision.  That's not stand-up.

So if he was vaccinated he would be playing? You know that how?

We need to let this tool and a couple of others go this offseason. Just can't count on them. If he was vaccinated the protocol is that he'd be back in circulation by Sunday.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32911909/nfl-covid-19-protocol-changes-week-15-postponed-games-new-testing-return-play-rules-nfl-navigate-omicron-variant

Also apparently the majority of players are not boosted. Like what the ....?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Again I hope Beasley will be OK because I don’t want any more people to die from this virus.  But to say he’s missing the game not because of the virus but because of rules is simply ridiculous.  The NFLPA and the league figured out the rules, and then amended the rules recently.  Every single player in the league knew those, knew what was expected, knew the consequences.  But Beasley chose to ignore them.  And now pays the price.  It would be akin to him going onto the field, throwing an illegal crack back on a guy, and then telling us the penalty had nothing to do with him not following the rules.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, cale said:

We need to let this tool and a couple of others go this offseason. Just can't count on them. If he was vaccinated the protocol is that he'd be back in circulation by Sunday.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32911909/nfl-covid-19-protocol-changes-week-15-postponed-games-new-testing-return-play-rules-nfl-navigate-omicron-variant

Technically possible but highly unlikely. Fastest anyone has returned is 8 days. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hsker4life said:

So if he was vaccinated he would be playing? You know that how?

We don't know if he'd be playing or not.  He feels like he could play and if he were vaccinated, per the rules, he may never have been tested to discover it.  Especially as I doubt he would self report.

Regardless, he made his decision and stand up for it.  Stop blaming the rules as his decision puts himself over the needs of the team.  Even though his team supports him, stop trying the distracting, cowardly deflection.

11 minutes ago, cale said:

CDC failed all of us not ringing the bell on the booster more loudly earlier this fall.  Ample evidence is there that 6 mos is all you can count on for significant immunity.

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Again I hope Beasley will be OK because I don’t want any more people to die from this virus.  But to say he’s missing the game not because of the virus but because of rules is simply ridiculous.  The NFLPA and the league figured out the rules, and then amended the rules recently.  Every single player in the league knew those, knew what was expected, knew the consequences.  But Beasley chose to ignore them.  And now pays the price.  It would be akin to him going onto the field, throwing an illegal crack back on a guy, and then telling us the penalty had nothing to do with him not following the rules.

Beas didn't ignore them.  He chose the path he wanted to take. He followed the rules.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

“Very frustrating. There’s people’s livelihoods at stake in terms of, you know, people’s jobs ... our performance is judged off of wins and losses or how well a person does ‘X’ or ‘Y’ and some of that is dependent upon other members of the team. That’s why this is a team game. Being able to count on people is important."

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

We don't know if he'd be playing or not.  He feels like he could play and if he were vaccinated, per the rules, he may never have been tested to discover it.  Especially as I doubt he would self report.

Regardless, he made his decision and stand up for it.  Stop blaming the rules as his decision puts himself over the needs of the team.  Even though his team supports him, stop trying the distracting, cowardly deflection.

CDC failed all of us not ringing the bell on the booster more loudly earlier this fall.  Ample evidence is there that 6 mos is all you can count on for significant immunity.

Why?

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why?

Personal bias.  🙂  Is Cole going to self-report very mild symptoms that could be anything?  Or is he going to play through them?  I know I would play through them, especially if I felt, as he does, that his symptoms wouldn't stop him playing.

• Like (+1) 1