[Misleading Title] Dion Dawkins to Covid list

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I agree with what you're saying however I see at least SOME of the point of the unvaxxed athlete as well. Let me get out of the way that if their refusal is political based or centers around the misinformation then I really have zero symphthy for them.

However the big 2 points I can see is this.

1. As we see...getting the vax does not automatically translate to staying on the field.

2. If I was an athlete I would have MANY questions about what long term side effect there may be. Especially when the vax first came out. It seems like every 3 months the "facts and science" change for various reasons. If I made my living due in large part to my physical condition that alone is something to take pause and read up on. If Mike the accountant gets his vax and there is some sort of long term issue...he can still be an accountant. What happens if an athlete had a bad side effect that ended their career? Potential for losing millions. Again, this would be the train of thought when it first came out and around a year into it.

Now we are at a point where I believe the ones that were skeptics about it for legit reasons have educated themselves and gotten the jab. The holdouts now are by and large people that are too swept up in politics to even care about becoming educated....but hey,they have a snazzy podium collection.

I suspect this is a "Gateway drug" to a general Covid discussion, but since we're working within the "we're talking about football" framework:

The thing about Point 2. is "what long term side effects there may be of getting infected with a novel virus?" Equally true that if an athlete has a long term side effect of the virus (say, if Tommy Sweeney's myocarditis didn't resolve), it could end his career.   Even a guy like Dawkins, where he's still on the field but perhaps playing hampered -- - if this were his "contract year", I think it's fair to say he'd not be getting the same Payday.

• Like (+1) 2

I looked at the depth chart and brown is listed as Dawkins backup at LT so that’s what i expect to see. But I’m seeing Mongo as starter at LG and then Ford as Williams backup at RG. Since ford was a healthy scratch last week, i do wonder if they would start him this week with Williams needing to play RT. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I looked at the depth chart and brown is listed as Dawkins backup at LT so that’s what i expect to see. But I’m seeing Mongo as starter at LG and then Ford as Williams backup at RG. Since ford was a healthy scratch last week, i do wonder if they would start him this week with Williams needing to play RT. 

Keep Ike at LG and play Mongo at RG? 

16 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

The virus is a lot like mice ... If you find one, there is likely more.

Ha!  Or fleas.   Yeah, especially with 1x/week testing

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

That was my initial thought, though I think Mongo is better at LG than RG

Oh boy this gets complicated, but is Mongo enough better at LG to be worth benching Boettger and maybe playing Ford?

And is Mongo at RG better than Ford at RG?

Personally I'm not a fan of a Ford-Williams right side

10 minutes ago, M. Wrotto said:

Addition by subtraction. I wish him no ill will, but he is a below average LT and he needs to be sending out resumes in my opinion 

I wouldn't go quite that far. I don't think he's below average, I have kinda felt he was just a little above average, or at very least average. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well, it was a nice season while it lasted, next years draft, openings along the offensive and defensive line will make for a better squad next year.  McDermott cannot really have anything but ***** luck this season and injuries.  

12 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I wouldn't go quite that far. I don't think he's below average, I have kinda felt he was just a little above average, or at very least average. 

Last year he put in the work to be at an elite talent level, this year his production has completely dropped off, missing easy blocks, and letting others chip off of him to create pressure.  

38 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Oh snap 

Did I miss where they just announced daily testing for all?

'Cuz it's a cute response, but I don't think Beasley was advocating for everyone to mask at all times, stay socially distant while eating, not have visitors on road trips etc.....and the one thing he did advocate for (daily testing) .....the NFL is refusing to do

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

'Cuz it's a cute response, but I don't think Beasley was advocating for everyone to mask at all times, stay socially distant while eating, not have visitors on road trips etc.....and the one thing he did advocate for (daily testing) .....the NFL is refusing to do

And on that last point, the NFL is being stubbornly ignorant.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think what they are referring to is that he called for the same protocols for all because he felt vaccinated would be spreading the virus and getting the virus as much as the unvaccinated, so why are they only treating one group like they would be the ones responsible. He didn’t think unvaccinated should be treated so differently and that the league was pushing the vaccine and just cared about money and not player safety. On this case they are referring to the teams in the advanced protocols doing the daily testing for all players. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think what they are referring to is that he called for the same protocols for all because he felt vaccinated would be spreading the virus and getting the virus as much as the unvaccinated, so why are they only treating one group like they would be the ones responsible. He didn’t think unvaccinated should be treated so differently and that the league was pushing the vaccine and just cared about money and not player safety. 

Sounds to me like that's just a common sense plan in the thinking process to keep every one safe/healthy .

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Since he's already on the Covid list, I'm not sure

I think he has to be tested negative

Do you know if he is vaccinated?   I don’t remember reading that esp so close after actual infection ( I think the standard is not to vaccinate until 90 days after active infection,,,,certainly time has flown by tho).  I don’t read all the stuff out there on the bills so have no idea if he was later vaccinated ?  It seems like this would be false pos test as he had natural disease and from lectures I have seen , pretty rare to get second infection.even a variant, after natural infection.   Of course maybe he has some other immune issue we are unaware of ?  Hope he is ok and this  is just a false pos test. Sure don’t need more hits to this o line !  

1 minute ago, DrPJax said:

Do you know if he is vaccinated?   I don’t remember reading that esp so close after actual infection ( I think the standard is not to vaccinate until 90 days after active infection,,,,certainly time has flown by tho).  I don’t read all the stuff out there on the bills so have no idea if he was later vaccinated ?  It seems like this would be false pos test as he had natural disease and from lectures I have seen , pretty rare to get second infection.even a variant, after natural infection.   Of course maybe he has some other immune issue we are unaware of ?  Hope he is ok and this  is just a false pos test. Sure don’t need more hits to this o line !  

He was vaccinated.  When he had that bad bout over the summer, it was within the 2 week window from his 2nd shot.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I wonder how many guys will report symptoms once the playoffs start

Since the vaccinated by and large won't be tested but can still carry and spread the virus, I think we are going to see a lot of unvaccinated players end up on the covid list at some point. The rate of infection we're seeing with omicron is unprecedented. A bunch of players carrying it will not be taken away from team activities so it is going to spread through a lot of teams and only the unvaccinated players will be caught with it.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Since the vaccinated by and large won't be tested but can still carry and spread the virus, I think we are going to see a lot of unvaccinated players end up on the covid list at some point. The rate of infection we're seeing with omicron is unprecedented. A bunch of players carrying it will not be taken away from team activities so it is going to spread through a lot of teams and only the unvaccinated players will be caught with it.

Probably.  I felt McDermott's frustration over the summer when you saw other teams fully vaccinated.