Josh in a boot after Tampa game (now says he's "good to go", no effects)

Bakin

12 hours ago, Nelius said:

Didn't they call at least one designed run for him after the injury too? Yikes. Hope it's not serious. Get well soon, Josh.

I think so and while Allen was the most effective player out there, I think that called run was a little tone deaf.  Beane has got to know that Allen will kill himself to win and Daboll will let him do it and this is largely the result of his (Beane's personnel decisions).  Hopefully Allen doesn't have to play like Ferguson in the 1980 Chargers-Bills playoff game (a very old memory of a gimpy Bills QB). 

3 hours ago, racketmaster said:

This team is a paper tiger and Allen is the only thing keeping this team from being a complete disaster. The team can only run the football effectively when the other team is completely playing the pass. Then Singletary can rip off 8-9 yard runs. As soon as it is 3rd and 2 or less or we need to run to close out a game, then our running backs become useless. Allen has to use his legs on this team on designed runs and scramble plays just to try and keep opposing defenses somewhat honest. McDermott and Beane put together a team they thought could win a Super Bowl and we might not even make the playoffs. Allen has so much pressure to perform in the air and running that when he is just average, we can't move the ball with our running backs. This o-line and rb room is subpar and certainly not playoff caliber. 

Singletary actually ripped off 29 and 18 yard runs but way to try and downplay it.

• Like (+1) 1

Thank god for Josh Allen.  

what a 2nd half performance after getting destroyed in the 1st half due to a paraplegic offensive line and dim witted OC.  How bad was Spencer Brown in the first half?  Wow. 

Allen has to play against his own OL, the opposing D AND the refs.  He’s a one man gang and I can’t express enough how happy I am that he’s ours

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Disagree with that.  I know he did a lot of running today and then got dinged up, but there is no real correlation b/w running more and getting hurt more. 

He could get just as injured in the backfield throwing the ball or being sacked, or being stepped on by his own lineman, or God knows what else.

Josh's ability to run is one of the best things we do.  If you choose to leave that tool in the tool box, you make us much less effective team.

We almost pulled off that comeback tonight precisely because Josh was THROWING and RUNNING like a maniac! 

17 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

That’s a stretch. Josh should be running even if he was playing behind a better line. Less injuries to QB happen on scrambles than do from hits in the pocket. 

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If he was referring to Josh’s running, I guess….but I’m not sure Josh is any safer from harm in the pocket behind this OL, frankly

I don’t understand this line of reasoning.  Yes, a QB can get hurt in the pocket but that doesn’t mean it’s smart to subject him to hits running the ball as well.  This isn’t an either/or proposition.  QBs who run are still subject to being hit when dropping back to pass.  The hits they take when running are IN ADDITION to the hits they take in the pocket.

Lamar is hurt again.  Murray has been hurt.  Allen is in a boot.  Cam is a shell of himself.  There’s a real pattern of running QBs sustaining injuries.  Every hit you take makes it that much more likely that you’ll eventually get the big one and even if you don’t, the little ones add up over time.

27 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Thank god for Josh Allen.  

what a 2nd half performance after getting destroyed in the 1st half due to a paraplegic offensive line and dim witted OC.  How bad was Spencer Brown in the first half?  Wow. 

Allen has to play against his own OL, the opposing D AND the refs.  He’s a one man gang and I can’t express enough how happy I am that he’s ours

Righteous sentiments. Amen

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

I don’t understand this line of reasoning.  Yes, a QB can get hurt in the pocket but that doesn’t mean it’s smart to subject him to hits running the ball as well.  This isn’t an either/or proposition.  QBs who run are still subject to being hit when dropping back to pass.  The hits they take when running are IN ADDITION to the hits they take in the pocket.

Lamar is hurt again.  Murray has been hurt.  Allen is in a boot.  Cam is a shell of himself.  There’s a real pattern of running QBs sustaining injuries.  Every hit you take makes it that much more likely that you’ll eventually get the big one and even if you don’t, the little ones add up over time.

It's a valid point, but as Harbaugh says, "when Lamar runs, he's in control".  He can go out of bounds or not...he can give himself up or not.  The big hits the running QB takes are when he puts his head down and tries for extra yards.  There's a point to be made that in the pocket, with the QB focused on standing in and throwing downfield, he basically has to subordinate protecting himself to executing as a passer, and he's more subject to guys picking him up and slamming him (KC game) or going at his knees/lower legs.

I don't like the notion of the Bills purposefully saying "Josh Allen is our Run Game" as it seems to me another poster is suggesting, and as they did last night.  I agree that it increases the possibility of him being hit.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Eichel got Eichelitis on draft night I think. He was the problem the whole time. Coach after coach...

They have better help. 

If Josh continues to run at this pace, he will get hurt and it will be on Beane. Fix the play calling since we can't fix the OL this season.

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Why hasn't anyone been calling for "help" for Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady the last decade or so?

You live on Pats and GB boards so that you know that they haven't been? 🤔

Fundamentally, Tom Brady has always had a more effective OL, an effective run game, and a passing game designed for the quick release.  Even so, NE's neglect to replenish quality WR is one reason he decamped from NE.

Aaron Rodgers has been "yelping for help" to the point of threatening to decamp from GB.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Roy Hobbs said:

If Josh continues to run at this pace, he will get hurt and it will be on Beane. Fix the play calling since we can't fix the OL this season.

The play calling will be on Daboll and McDermott. But its all on Beane this offseason if he doesn't find a way to improve the OL with the draft and FA.

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

They'll be more boots in Josh's future if McD & Beane don't lock themselves in a room and begin a plan for a full OL/RB rebuild. No RB is safe (sorry Motor) and besides maybe Dawkins and Brown,  no olineman is safe.

They also need a "Run Game Coordinator". If Daboll sticks around, it's obvious he's not a run game expert, we need help. And a new O-Line Coordinator while we're at it.

I can't see Daboll getting a head coaching gig after this season. How could he come up with a satisfying answer to the first interview question: "Why did you only run 5% of the time in so many games?" So if he's not here next year, it'll be due to firing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You live on Pats and GB boards so that you know that they haven't been? 🤔

Fundamentally, Tom Brady has always had a more effective OL, an effective run game, and a passing game designed for the quick release.  Even so, NE's neglect to replenish quality WR is one reason he decamped from NE.

Aaron Rodgers has been "yelping for help" to the point of threatening to decamp from GB.

Obviously that turned out to be, as with many things Rodgers, just BS. 

Brady got tired of winning SBs for BB, I don't think it was mainly about WRs.  He won 6 SB with nobodies and zero his only significant WR (Moss) in NE.

12 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

They'll be more boots in Josh's future if McD & Beane don't lock themselves in a room and begin a plan for a full OL/RB rebuild. No RB is safe (sorry Motor) and besides maybe Dawkins and Brown,  no olineman is safe.

Singletary should be safe.  One more year on his rookie contract.  He’s played well this season.  It’s not his fault our OL stinks.  

Breida and Moss 👋🏻 buh bye.  

I’m eager to see what we do along the OL.  Sadly, I only expect 1-2 new starters, while I prefer that it’s 3 minimum. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, 947 said:

They also need a "Run Game Coordinator". If Daboll sticks around, it's obvious he's not a run game expert, we need help. And a new O-Line Coordinator while we're at it.

I can't see Daboll getting a head coaching gig after this season. How could he come up with a satisfying answer to the first interview question: "Why did you only run 5% of the time in so many games?" So if he's not here next year, it'll be due to firing.

Too bad we can't hire Roman for that...one of the best running games I have ever seen when he was here...literally could put anyone in there and rip off 60 yard TD runs.

Mike Gillislee anyone?

Dude averaged 5.7 YPC in his 2 years with the Bills and never even sniffed 4.0 with any other team.

image.thumb.png.4dcf3b84992a97d8618622c8e51e7e94.png

Edited by Big Turk

21 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Not sure if it's been posted... but sounds like it's a mild case of turf toe

Anyone know how that works?  Can you stabilize it?  Will it just inevitably get worse playing on it?

Fundamentally if we're counting on our rush game to be Josh Allen for the rest of the season, Don't.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Mat68 said:

Taking away Allens escapability will make him a better player.  Steve Young credits having a leg injury made him become a hall of fame Qb.  Time will tell.  Allen is like a modern day Farve.  Hard to keep him off the field.

Allen reminds me of a bigger version of Elway. Gun for an arm and can run and scramble out of trouble. Also can run to pick up first downs. Lets hope Beane can build a better OL and find Allen's version of Terrell Davis to help him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.