Week 14 Gameday Bills at Buccaneers Postgame thread

Hapless Bills Fan

15 minutes ago, Nitro said:

NFL ex refs, executives etc are coming out and saying the Bills got screwed.   I am of the school of thought that the bad officiating hurts both thems.  This game was glaring on its one sidedness.   

There's typically 2 or 3 games like this per year.  Games in the national spotlight where the officials, quite literally, determine the outcome of the game.  

Every year, this happens the next day.  Nothing ever changes.  

I turned on the radio at work and Greeny was on air absolutely torching the officials for what happened in our game.  Former players and blue checkmark ESPN/Fox personalities are all over Twitter today openly questioning how what happened to us, happened. 

Fans & Commentators alike will flip out for a few days and then we'll just move on until it happens again to someone else.  

Zero accountability in this league.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, stevewin said:

What is the source of this?  If it was shown on the broadcast it would have affected the conversation even more after the game including the national media.  More evidence for those already calling out the refs, and indisputable proof for the stop-crying-it-was-50-50 / tHe-ReFs-DoNt-InFlUeNcE-tHe-OuTcOmE-oF-a-GaMe crowd.  Also makes you wonder if they had the angle in the production room but chose to not show it.

i don't know the source, but even if this is a photo from a fan with an iphone there's not way the refs don't see this and there is no way 1 of the 5000000 cameras the NFL uses for games does not.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, mannc said:

The failure to go for the TD at the end of regulation was an absolute killer, although I’m sure many here disagree.  No way do I let TB and his friends in the black and white stripes have another chance at it. Gotta win the game there.  I so wish Frank Reich was our coach.

How'd that work out in Tennessee?

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

How'd that work out in Tennessee?

Again, it was absolutely the right decision in Tennessee.  The play was botched, in more than one way, but it was the right decision because it gave them the best chance to win.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

On the SNF broadcast on NBC, they had a playoff calculator that gave us a pretty low chance of making the playoffs at this point - I want to say it was 22%

Edit:  OK, I found it on 538

It’s 67% chance of making the playoffs, and 20% chance of winning the division

I love these percentage to win stats. They're always right. If the Bills make the playoffs, its right cuz there was a 67% chance we would. If we dont, then, well, there was a 33% chance we wouldn't.

10 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I love these percentage to win stats. They're always right. If the Bills make the playoffs, its right cuz there was a 67% chance we would. If we dont, then, well, there was a 33% chance we wouldn't.

I saw that and couldn't figure it out. Ultimately we have like an 88% chance if we go 3-1.

19 minutes ago, mannc said:

Again, it was absolutely the right decision in Tennessee.  The play was botched, in more than one way, but it was the right decision because it gave them the best chance to win.

That's your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it.

I agree with the other poster who says you don't put the entire game on one play when you don't have to.  Play better in OT.  We had the football first. Do something with it.  We choked ... again.

And maybe Coach McDermott was playing the odds with the refs. Had we scored they could easily call holding or offensive PI or something.  It would be a lot harder for them to call a good FG bad.  Besides our D was humming and causing 3 and outs at the time.  

You gotta base a decision like that on what's going on in the game today. Not what other teams in other games with different weather weather etc did in the past.  It was the right call.

That decision did not cost us the game.  It was the same reason we lost the others. Execution.

Edited by reddogblitz

33 minutes ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

i don't know the source, but even if this is a photo from a fan with an iphone there's not way the refs don't see this and there is no way 1 of the 5000000 cameras the NFL uses for games does not.

Yea these were as egregious of a hold as I’ve ever seen… I don’t think human error can possibly factor in. A jersey pull is absolutely always called I have never seen anything like any of these 

5 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Except if the official makes the call on Diggs we have the ball at the 20 yard line, easiest PI call ever and they ignored it…pts stolen right there…

Yep they were holding the entire first half also…someone that has the stomach for it could likely go through and take tons of screenshots. That definitely factored in to our low point total.  It’s absurd how hot we got despite that going on and it’s a crime that the refs just chose the winner at the end 

5 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Except if the official makes the call on Diggs we have the ball at the 20 yard line, easiest PI call ever and they ignored it…pts stolen right there…

Yea this might be the most obvious penalty on a defensive back in history and it was impossible to miss…dudes jersey was stretched out 5 yards long lol pretty sure there’s an official assigned to every receiver and a back judge so that’s 100% unmissable and seems like the bucs dbs were just allowed to be handsy…which is the weakness of their team so not great for us haha if Tom Brady was on our team our defense would likely get gifted tons of offensive holding calls on the other team 🤣

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

42 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

What I'm trying to get out of some of you is your definition of "blew the call". Intentionally or human error? If the latter, what is the fix? So far I have heard one suggestion, the sky judge. But I think that officials would feel as much infringement with that as they did with PI replay.

And yes, age can be a huge factor in terms of processing speed.

By tomorrow no one will care except Bills fans, and the NFL will continue to make billions.

Money is the only motivator the Refs or the league need to sway games with bad officiating.   They all stand to make a lot of money if certain out comes are encouraged.   

And yes they make a lot of money regardless of the outcome.   But ya know the one thing people with money really want?  More money.   

33 minutes ago, Greg S said:

So no PI here right?

My wife who doesn't watch or care about sports and only on occasion will look up from her book when I'm watching, she looked up in OT and it was Bucs possession when the PI was called on Bills.....Then she said (and I quote word for word), "Why would they call that a PI on Bills when they didn't for Diggs that looked a lot worse"?

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

That's your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it.

I agree with the other poster who says you don't put the entire game on one play when you don't have to.  Play better in OT.  We had the football first. Do something with it.  We choked ... again.

And maybe Coach McDermott was playing the odds with the refs. Had we scored they could easily call holding or offensive PI or something.  It would be a lot harder for them to call a good FG bad.  Besides our D was humming and causing 3 and outs at the time.  

You gotta base a decision like that on what's going on in the game today. Not what other teams in other games with different weather weather etc did in the past.  It was the right call.

That decision did not cost us the game.  It was the same reason we lost the others. Execution.

Well, in the Tennessee game, they were marching up and down the field on us, so by your logic, going for the win in regulation was definitely the right call.

So tired of Bills fans blaming refs. News flash! Tampa won and is the better team. Two third downs couldn't stop them in crunch time......typical Bills defense. Stats aside they aren't good at crunch time. Josh and company were good enough to get to over time. Oh, we complain about refs after NE game. Better team and way better coaching than us. Wake up guys this team is not that good. Thankfully this season is showing that we need to improve in many areas.

2 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I’m normally on the ‘the refs suck equally for both teams because they’re humans’ train but man did it seem like they only sucked for one team last night 🤣 I have not agreed with anyone complaining about refs all season up until last night. That’s just egregious not calling that PI in the end zone at the end of regulation then turning right back around and hitting Wallace with that PI in OT. If it was just one of those things…not as bad. Some very objective people like ex nfl officials are saying a lot of the same things as us too so it’s not just a ‘we’re biased’ situation 

this 

41 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

My wife who doesn't watch or care about sports and only on occasion will look up from her book when I'm watching, she looked up in OT and it was Bucs possession when the PI was called on Bills.....Then she said (and I quote word for word), "Why would they call that a PI on Bills when they didn't for Diggs that looked a lot worse"?

You too huh! I got the same thing.

• Like (+1) 1

Been on Twitter all day. It seems fans/media everywhere agree with us that the bills got screwed with the non calls. Not that it matters now, but hopefully the NFL will do something about it going forward, like be more fair. I haven't seen this many people mad about a non call since the one in New Orleans 

55 minutes ago, Radar said:

So tired of Bills fans blaming refs. News flash! Tampa won and is the better team. Two third downs couldn't stop them in crunch time......typical Bills defense. Stats aside they aren't good at crunch time. Josh and company were good enough to get to over time. Oh, we complain about refs after NE game. Better team and way better coaching than us. Wake up guys this team is not that good. Thankfully this season is showing that we need to improve in many areas.

Blaming the refs is warranted when it’s an obvious missed call. This game was blatantly one-sided when it came to penalties. They didn’t just miss a call in the endzone. They let 3 separate PI/defensive holdings go and then turned an OPI into DPI. 

Couldn’t stop them in crunch time? Bro they held them to 3 points in the 2nd half… if that’s not crunch time… then what is? 

Who was complaining about the refs after the NE game? They barely called anything. Only issue was the gift of a 1st down to Mac Jones on 4th down… but it is what it is. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

You too huh! I got the same thing.

Lol, wondering how similar both of our responses were??  I responded...."Same reason it always was for basically 2 decades when playing against Brady and Pats, so it's same circus but different clowns" lol,  

How different was your response???lol

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

18 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

This is the just happy to be here attitude that will never get you to the ultimate goal.

I reject everything about your post because it's a loser mentality

Whatever, Jack.   I reject your contention that I have a "loser mentality."   But you go ahead and keep stressing out all you want then.  That's a crappy mentality. 

1 hour ago, Bimmer323i said:

On the over reaction podcast they mentioned how different our offense looked when Sanders left the game and Davis was inserted into the line up… I noticed that to but can’t put my finger on why.. Is Gabe a bigger target is he faster, whats your guys opinion on that???

I think he is a vastly superior run blocker and a better deep threat.

The former can turn a 6 yard run into a 26 yard run. The latter can add chunk plays on offense and change the way the defense is playing your offense.

Davis should be full time WR2 going forward, if you ask me. I've seen enough. The results are in. He offers more than Sanders at this point.

Sanders should be splitting time with Beasley, not Davis.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I agree with the other poster who says you don't put the entire game on one play when you don't have to.  Play better in OT.  We had the football first. Do something with it. 

Also see Harbaugh's decision last week against the Steelers. He could have gone for the FG at end of regulation to tie the game and try to win in OT but he makes this "gutsy/ballsy" call to go for two, the Ravens dont make it, game over. Sometimes it is better to play smart than go all in - the probability of making an XP is far more than a 2 pt conversion. 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

You take the best player off the field to run a fake?… and that 4th and 3 call to punt was so puss. To this point the guy is mostly only aggressive when the team is winning… he crawls into a shell when the team is losing and calls for aggressive decisions. 

Agree, it's the best chance to convert that way Daboll can screw it all up. Lol maybe that's part of reason why the fake was called...

Anyway agree 

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Well, in the Tennessee game, they were marching up and down the field on us, so by your logic, going for the win in regulation was definitely the right call.

Not necessarily.  We were also scoring points in that game. Perhaps we win the toss and score a TD first.  I take that chance over putting whole game on one play.

The right call is the one that works.

Edited by reddogblitz

35 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

QB sweep 2-3 times versus NE

I predicted vs. NE Josh would be 100+ yds expected wind--sadly, they didn't listen to me.

What happened planning and adapting in Q1??

Cases 1, 2:

1) NE game plan 1H: 0 pass, 0 QB run----until Q3.

2) TB game plan 1H: 0 RB----until Q3

lost by 1 score.

ran out of clock in both

=crazy.

1 minute ago, Since1981 said:

I predicted vs. NE Josh would be 100+ yds expected wind--sadly, they didn't listen to me.

What happened planning and adapting in Q1??

Cases 1, 2:

1) NE game plan 1H: 0 pass, 0 QB run----until Q3.

2) TB game plan 1H: 0 RB----until Q3

lost by 1 score.

ran out of clock in both

=crazy.

BTW,

You never want a coordinator "where studio puts the graphic up showing today team 'broke 40 yr records for....fewest or most for super bowl era."

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Not necessarily.  We were also scoring points in that game. Perhaps we win the toss and score a TD first.  I take that chance over putting whole game on one play.

What they weren’t doing though was stopping the Titans. They had scored in quite a few consecutive drives ( can’t recall how many) . I’m certain that played a huge factor in that decision. I don’t want to leave it up to a coin toss. I can’t fault McD for putting the game in the hands of the team’s best player when the opportunity is there. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

What they weren’t doing though was stopping the Titans. They had scored in quite a few consecutive drives ( can’t recall how many) . I’m certain that played a huge factor in that decision. I don’t want to leave it up to a coin toss. I can’t fault McD for putting the game in the hands of the team’s best player when the opportunity is there. 

I see your point.  In today's go for it craze it makes sense (to some) to go for it. I love Josh too but I don't put a winnable game all on one play unless its like the last play.

I can agree that in this situation there really is no "right call".  Either could work and either could fail.  The execution was what caused both of these calls to fail.  Josh slipping vs Tennessee and us not scoring when we had the football first in OT.

I prefer to kick FG for tie and you prefer to go for it.

Cool.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think he is a vastly superior run blocker and a better deep threat.

The former can turn a 6 yard run into a 26 yard run. The latter can add chunk plays on offense and change the way the defense is playing your offense.

Davis should be full time WR2 going forward, if you ask me. I've seen enough. The results are in. He offers more than Sanders at this point.

Sanders should be splitting time with Beasley, not Davis.

I couldn't AGREE more...shutting down Davis during the middle of this season to appease the veteran Sanders was so incredibly stupid. The pecking order should always have been Diggs, Davis, Beasley and Sanders. In that order.  And their collective targets should've reflected that. Another mistake by McDabs....

50 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I get it and each situation obviously is different, but imo it was the right call in Tenn. Believe Bills were inside the 5 or close to it if I'm not mistaken. The way they were moving the ball I had no problem with the call to try and get out of Tenn with a W.

I wouldn't have kicked the FG for OT due to the way Tenn and Henry were having their way with Bills D and wouldn't want to take the chance on them getting ball to start OT because chances are they march right down the field easily same way they  did all game.

Either way I see the reasons for both going for win and going to OT, but I thought it was the correct call and had no issue with it

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Lol, wondering how similar both of our responses were??  I responded...."Same reason it always was for basically 2 decades when playing against Brady and Pats, so it's same circus but different clowns" lol,  

How different was your response???lol

yeah it was something like , you never want the game to be in the officials hands when you play Brady or NE!

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Whatever you wanna call it... do it more regardless of the opponent.  

Sometimes I think our coaches out think themselves with all these game specific plans and player rotations.   Find some ***** that works and stick with it!

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.