Week 14 Gameday Bills at Buccaneers Postgame thread

Hapless Bills Fan

10 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

It's not ignorance. You are demanding the officiating gets "better". That demand is only about 30-40 years old if not more... So just keep whinning about officiating for another 40 years? Thats like whinning that taxes exist...

How about the Bills just get some better players and coaches? Maybe if they do that, they win more games.

They did enough to win the game but fools don’t realize that. 54% of games are one score games, that’s how it is, to just say who cares if the refs suck is truly ignorant, stop defending BS. It’s people like you why the league will never change… you except the mediocracy…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

i think the excuse would be they missed it, like when a player misses a block, throws a bad pass, or loses the ball in the air and doesn't make a catch.

All the more reason to not crap part of the game away and get down 24-3.

In this day and age, referees almost never miss the chance to call PI for a jersey grab (that goes double when the receiver and defender are 1on1 in open space), and they just happened to miss it twice? Please.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gene1973 said:

Then why have they not done this I wonder? They have had decades.

Because it makes for a more compelling product? 

The actual concerning point is that they haven’t had decades… the average margin of victory has actually shrunk and the the technology being used is better and they’re still having issues getting it right and holding referees accountable… 

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

Humans will always miss clear and obvious calls. That's what replay is for. They tried that for PI, it failed.

If that's your stance, then we might as just not have standards of what's acceptable or not.  I don't really understand your nihilism on refereeing, but you do you I guess.

3 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Humans will always miss clear and obvious calls. That's what replay is for. They tried that for PI, it failed.

How is it not concerning to you that 54% of games are decide by 1 score and we’re accepting that human error can sway those results? 

6 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

What gets me is no measurement on that 3rd down stop. Every angle looked like he was short. Also the same defensive play is called PI on the Bills but not on TB. Outside of that it was a hard fought comeback that should have been won by Buff. I just pray Allen isn't hurt.

They call it a first in hopes it’s inconclusive in replay. Lol

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I thought the one on Diggs in OT was a penalty live, but I never saw a good replay to know for sure.

There was one even worse where Davis was literally pulling Diggs jersey and running with him for a few yards with that while the ball was in the air...no call..

And the OT play was definitely a hold...dude grabbed his shoulder

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

It failed for a few reasons. The first is that the requirements to overturn the call were so high that bad calls were constantly upheld and everyone got twice as angry. The second is that the people reviewing the calls were just as likely to follow the NFL bias line. Lastly, it just made the game take way too long. 

9 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Because it makes for a more compelling product? 

The actual concerning point is that they haven’t had decades… the average margin of victory has actually shrunk and the the technology being used is better and they’re still having issues getting it right and holding referees accountable… 

The lack of this is why it never changes and you have to think the NFL supports it.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

The fake was worst.  At that point the first run by a Rb too.  Have Josh get 3 yards.  Probably hindsight go for both with the offense.  At worst they pick up 1 of them.  

I can’t comment cause I didn’t see that play. I was wrestling a toddler to keep from going insane.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Fans will always pay to watch the NFL. The NFL knows this. So not sure they care about standards. They are getting their money. 

Sure, it would be nice if officials never made mistakes. That's an unrealistic standard and will never happen.

IMO, it's on the team to play well enough to not allow officials to affect the vast majority if their games in a given season. Because, that's the only workaround at the moment.

Demanding the refs get better is only going to lead to more disappointment IMO.

So what happens when a team does play “well enough”? The refs are human and have bias and for you not to realize that’s a thing is absurd. 

11 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Well, at this point in time, human officials making mistakes by not fully seeing contact on a PI, or a hit to the head when it wasn't to the head etc, is part of the game. So if that is a known part of the game, the only way to ensure it can't affect your game is if the other team is well behind on the scoreboard at the final whistle. If you can't do that you increasingly put the outcome of the game more and more in the hands of the officials.

There isn't much that fan be done about it.

Well ensuring you’re far and away ahead happens less than half of the time in the NFL. 

That’s a higher standard to meet than holding referees accountable… 

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

The refs having bias is conspiracy territory IMO.

I agree with you 100% Gene. The fixating games and calling the patriots cheaters and so on needs to stop. It’s a losers mentality to blame loses on something other than their own selves. I’ve played many sports and have seen it many times, and man, its a bad look

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, JROC INTEL said:

So many people are saying the nfl is rigged. Can you guys tell me why the nfl would really want Brady to keep winning? Wouldn’t letting other franchises win be of a more financial benefit? Everyones tired of seeing him win. Just curious on your thoughts, lmk!

More people will tune in to hopefully see a hated rival lose than to watch all the time if everyone is getting equal wins.

Bears fans will 100% turn on a GB game just to see Aaron Rodgers lose.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Why are there only a few people aware of this as you are? It’s not that hard to understand, but damn their are a lot of 🤡’s here who don’t get it.

There's just alot of incredibly naive fans that feel everything is legit, ethical etc.  No one ever steals, cheats or steers games. This has been going on for years and will continue long after I'm dead. The only thing that matters for the NFL and their easily controlled ref minions is to move forward with the narrative of their dream SB.  Maybe someday when JA's storyline becomes more important will the Bills get a handful of calls.  Calls that make the difference in winning or losing like tonight. 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Except when a player missed a block, throws a bad pass or loses the ball in the air… those are errors made by actually participants in the game. That’s fine… because you know… they’re the ones who are supposed to decide the outcome in a game.

Not the impartial 3rd party facilitating the game…. 

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/12/vet-ref-calls-foul-on-stefon-diggs-no-call-late-in-bills-and-buccaneers-game.html

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Accountable how, keep firing them and bringing in noob refs all the time?

Or are we talking garnishing wages for every missed call?

I’d actually argue the opposite of firing them - I’d prefer to see them made full-time NFL employees rather than part-timers making around $200K. 

Full-time means more time for training and opportunity to increase accountability. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Only way to fix human error is with replay. But if every single play has to be reviewed, the NFL product is garbage to watch.

Simple solution is sky judge to quickly correct the obvious PI calls not called like that one.  Just like the ball hitting Harry in the helmet on the punt lawst week.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And that is what happens when you don't show up to play a full game, and rely on a trick play and pulling it out in OT to overcome (OT was a total waste of time).  This is reminiscent of MCM game in a way where you hope for something, anything, to go your way after doing nothing offensively for large stretches of the game.  Or maybe it was reminiscent of the 1998 game in Foxborough, the game where the Bills walked off the field in disgust only to return to let the Pats kick a FG to finish the game.  As some claim, I am not an apologist when it comes to officiating, but you have to factor the crappiness of NFL officiating into your game plan.  If the NFL wanted to fix officiating, or to go to a more tennis-like approach of automating its officiating, it would've years ago.  The Bills have to do better.  If you pray for a miracle, you might get one.  Then again, you might not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Simple solution is sky judge to quickly correct the obvious PI calls not called like that one.  Just like the ball hitting Harry in the helmet on the punt lawst week.

Agreed - take a look and reverse/call the obvious mistakes - the ones that millions of people sitting on their couch can see are obvious.  Even if you err on conservative in overruling, just even correcting a percentage of the wrong calls/no-calls is better than none.   At least you likely correct the majority of the most egregious 

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This game ending was so frustrating for a bunch of different reasons.  

But not completing the comeback was just a vicious gut punch.

Is there any doubt that if Buffalo had the 24-3 lead gave it up that Tampa would ultimately win the game? No, of course not. But somehow this years Bills team can’t make that one extra play and get over the hump in these close games.

• Like (+1) 1

We went toe to toe with the champs in their building and should’ve won. I’m fully confident this team can and will win the Super Bowl this year.  All that toughness everyone wanted to see? Excited for the coming 4 game win streak.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.