NFL Sunday Ticket could be headed to ESPN+

Scott7975

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/11/11/22776836/nfl-sunday-ticket-espn

"While DirecTV will likely keep the satellite rights of the deal, the NFL is looking for someone to take on the streaming rights. One big name apparently is Disney, according to Sports Business Daily."

Some changes also might be coming such as single team purchases or bundle purchases.

I like the idea of being able to buy just single team games, as long as I can watch buffalo and maybe redzone I’m good. Directv is fine but they really don’t make it easy to take my money. I gotta hassle all these random college kids online to get their info lol.. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

ESPN Plus is a great subscription. ESPN as a whole stinks for sure. 

Agree

Just now, Rc2catch said:

I like the idea of being able to buy just single team games, as long as I can watch buffalo and maybe redzone I’m good. Directv is fine but they really don’t make it easy to take my money. I gotta hassle all these random college kids online to get their info lol.. 

I like the idea too and not having to have DirectTv to do so.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Agree

I like the idea too and not having to have DirectTv to do so.

Me too! Moving back down south soon and it will be nice to have another option!

7 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I begrudgingly signed up for the Sabres games.   I'm sure Sunday ticket won't be included  in the monthly fee

Im sure there will be an upcharge for the NFL games. I enjoy some of the extra NHL games on plus along with all the UFC stuff. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

They offer single team packages for MLB Baseball but the difference in price between buying the entire package vs one team hardly makes it worth it.

Take the weeks the Bills may be a Sunday or Monday night or 4:00 game or bye, if you want to watch just a couple other games, you'd wish you bought the whole package.

I do wonder how much this will increase the cost of ESPN + by, but likely still orders of magnitude cheaper than a DTV contract for 2 years.

• Like (+1) 1

1) I wonder if I were to continue on with DTV, I could still view it both on satellite and streaming 

2) I am not believing anything about DTV giving up their monopoly until it actually happens. I know there is new ownership at DTV, but there are always these sorts of stories every time Sunday Ticket is up for contract renewal, and DTV always re-ups with exclusive rights.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Streaming on Disney+/ESPN+ the games will likely be in 4K.........which would not be shitz.

That would be great! as of now the games on ESPN + aren’t in 4k. Hopefully that would change if they land Sunday ticket.

Right now the only one broadcasting NFL games in 4k is the fox sports app for Thursday night broadcasts (currently watching the game in 4k now!) 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

They offer single team packages for MLB Baseball but the difference in price between buying the entire package vs one team hardly makes it worth it.

Take the weeks the Bills may be a Sunday or Monday night or 4:00 game or bye, if you want to watch just a couple other games, you'd wish you bought the whole package.

I do wonder how much this will increase the cost of ESPN + by, but likely still orders of magnitude cheaper than a DTV contract for 2 years.

I imagine they sell it separately like they do for UFC PPVs.

21 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

That would be great! as of now the games on ESPN + aren’t in 4k. Hopefully that would change if they land Sunday ticket.

Right now the only one broadcasting NFL games in 4k is the fox sports app for Thursday night broadcasts (currently watching the game in 4k now!) 

So, am I correct that I have to stream it on the app to get 4k? I like to flip around, and that would be a little cumbersome (yes, I’m kinda lazy! :)). Cable or DTV won’t get me there?

If it’s a Bills game I’m all in all day, but I wish it was easier. Getting 4k has been a bit of a struggle after getting the TV’s a few years ago. Just sold our house and the mounted 4k TV’s stay, so I got a bigger one for the new house! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

DIRECTV is going to have to file for bankruptcy if they lose NFL Sunday ticket I can’t think of another reason why they even have them

So true, I’m sick of Directv but living in south Mississippi I have satellite internet. And if Sunday ticket goes to streaming only It want be good for me. So as much as I hate paying those big Directv bills I don’t want it going streaming only. 

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

So, am I correct that I have to stream it on the app to get 4k? I like to flip around, and that would be a little cumbersome (yes, I’m kinda lazy! :)). Cable or DTV won’t get me there?

If it’s a Bills game I’m all in all day, but I wish it was easier. Getting 4k has been a bit of a struggle after getting the TV’s a few years ago. Just sold our house and the mounted 4k TV’s stay, so I got a bigger one for the new house! 

Yes, you can only get the 4k broadcast by streaming it via the fox sports app.

I know what you mean about not being able to just flip through the channels. It’s definitely a minor inconvenience. I found a work around though. I have an external streaming device that plugs into the Tv (fire stick 4k) so What I do to flip between channels is just hit the input button on the remote and it takes me back to the last channel 8 was watching on cable, and I hit it again to go back to the game stream. This would only work with an external streaming device though, not the internal apps on the TV. 

The only Bills game being broadcast in 4k this season is the upcoming Thursday night game on Nov. 25th.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yes, you can only get the 4k broadcast by streaming it via the fox sports app.

I know what you mean about not being able to just flip through the channels. It’s definitely a minor inconvenience. I found a work around though. I have an external streaming device that plugs into the Tv (fire stick 4k) so What I do to flip between channels is just hit the input button on the remote and it takes me back to the last channel 8 was watching on cable, and I hit it again to go back to the game stream. This would only work with an external streaming device though, not the internal apps on the TV. 

Thanks! We’ve found a great AV guy and he sends us links with stuff we need to order. Certainly not MY forte! He’s a great guy and we trust him.  Big East basketball is on Fox Sports, so I just might have plenty of opportunities to enjoy 4K. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/11/11/22776836/nfl-sunday-ticket-espn

"While DirecTV will likely keep the satellite rights of the deal, the NFL is looking for someone to take on the streaming rights. One big name apparently is Disney, according to Sports Business Daily."

Some changes also might be coming such as single team purchases or bundle purchases.

ESPN is owned by Disney so no shock there.

13 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I can see all the Bills, Sabres and UB sports for one $6/mo subscription? I have trouble seeing what's wrong with that.

I've got a bridge to sell you if you think Bills games will be going for $6/mo under the existing subscription model.

Placing NFL games on ESPN+ will undoubtedly raise the price of the package, or be an expensive add-on that will require you to have the underlying ESPN+ subscription.  They might require the "Disney Bundle" to be purchased, so you'll also need to subscribe to Disney+ and Hulu.

I would much rather have a tech company own the streaming rights - Disney does not exactly excel at software engineering.  I would be curious to see how well their service would scale under the load that NFL games would bring.  They use AWS's underlying infrastructure, but in the end, the Disney software engineers and ops teams are calling the shots and writing the code.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Augie said:

Right now Fox is the only network offering games in 4K.  They've been showing the Thursday night games in 4k on Verizon Fios (I don't know about other cable systems)  & had the World Series in 4K.  For some reason if I channel surf during time outs it takes a few seconds for the 4K signal to come up unfrozen & with sound.  If I leave it on the 4K broadcast it's fine-except if the game lasts too long & goes beyond it's scheduled time & then it just goes off the air. .  

15 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

DIRECTV is going to have to file for bankruptcy if they lose NFL Sunday ticket I can’t think of another reason why they even have them

I’m a 20 year DirecTV subscriber. The minute Sunday Ticket is available on another service is the minute I’m gone.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Direct TV is a dumb company. Truly. I've gone through it all before on here but when we lived in an apartment in NE territory and wanted the ticket just to watch the Bills it was a complete nightmare and they refused to take our money and just let us buy the damn ticket. 

We couldn't put up a dish.. They have to let you! No they don't. Back and forth. 

I offered to pay for the DTV subscription and leave the dish in a box in my closet just so I can then buy the streaming ticket and actually watch the Bills opn streaming.

They wouldn't do it. The person from halfway across the world I was speaking to didn't have that in the script, so no dice. 

Just a stupid company, and a stupid setup. 

"Anyone can buy the ticket, and you don't need a Direct TV subscription anymore!*"

* This is a total lie. yes, you do. 

Luckily, we're returned home to the broadcast area of America's team (the red, white and blue) so this is no longer an issue. 

Instead of getting our $200 they got zero. 

Here's a novel idea for the next streaming partner: You offer it for a price. Anyone who is willing to pay that price can buy it. 

Crazy, I know. 

Imagine if Netflix said "we have to see if you're eligible to buy our service..."

LOL

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sullim4 said:

I've got a bridge to sell you if you think Bills games will be going for $6/mo under the existing subscription model.

Placing NFL games on ESPN+ will undoubtedly raise the price of the package, or be an expensive add-on that will require you to have the underlying ESPN+ subscription.  They might require the "Disney Bundle" to be purchased, so you'll also need to subscribe to Disney+ and Hulu.

I would much rather have a tech company own the streaming rights - Disney does not exactly excel at software engineering.  I would be curious to see how well their service would scale under the load that NFL games would bring.  They use AWS's underlying infrastructure, but in the end, the Disney software engineers and ops teams are calling the shots and writing the code.

Well they added all NHL games at no charge. I'm sure NFL games will add to the cost or become a premium tier. Every time I go to a bar to watch (two drinks, food, and tip) I'm out $30 minimum.  So even if that package is $200 just for Bills games it's going still cost me less.

On 11/11/2021 at 6:26 PM, Rc2catch said:

Me too.

I’ve been a “student” for 10 years.

A male and a female.

On 11/12/2021 at 12:56 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

Right now Fox is the only network offering games in 4K.  They've been showing the Thursday night games in 4k on Verizon Fios (I don't know about other cable systems)  & had the World Series in 4K.  For some reason if I channel surf during time outs it takes a few seconds for the 4K signal to come up unfrozen & with sound.  If I leave it on the 4K broadcast it's fine-except if the game lasts too long & goes beyond it's scheduled time & then it just goes off the air. .  

Technically Fox is just upscaling to 4K. The equipment recording in the stadiums is still HD. The NFL has not bit the bullet to upgrade the infrastructure in the stadiums to 4K yet

1 hour ago, Yard Monkey said:

Technically Fox is just upscaling to 4K. The equipment recording in the stadiums is still HD. The NFL has not bit the bullet to upgrade the infrastructure in the stadiums to 4K yet

The NFL was out in front of HD early..........the first NFL game ever broadcast in HD was Bills at Jets(I think 1998?)........but of course it was only in actual HD over antenna in the NYC area.    The Giants/Ravens SB was shot in HD but it was years after people had really transitioned to HDTV's before the NFL really put the games in HD.

Fox was the last to adapt as I recall.    And their broadcasts are traditionally THE WORST........compressed and full of artifacts...........so Fox being in 4K would be hard for my mind to wrap around...........I expect terrible pictures from every Bills game on Fox.

In general the NFL has always lagged behind other sports in adapting to change.

It's part of their strategy..........they like to watch how the other, less popular sports handle change first.

I don't know if the Yankees and YES network are using 4K equipment or upscaling...........but the 4k Amazon Prime broadcasted Yankee games are outstanding on the big screen.

On 11/11/2021 at 4:21 PM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

and yet ESPN keeps shedding talent 

when u can find practically anything on the web for free.  

why pay for it 

Not only is Ralph cheap, so am I

The 'talent' has nothing to do with the broadcast of games. ESPN + , for $6.99 is a great deal. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.