NFL Officiating is an abomination for a 18B product

MAJBobby

I don’t blame losses on officials. And I hate officials threads. But I needed to write this one. Week after week the NFL trots out a substandard and incompetent group for their games. They are called the officials. 

game after game they think they are what the fans come to see and heavily influence the game. 

I counted at least 10 times the RT for Jax made a step before the ball was snapped not called a single time. This is an easy one I mean ***** there is an official looking right down the line at him and there is literally nothing else they are looking for pre snap. And I am not just talking flinches there were two plays he was a freaking yard deep in his pass set before the ball was snapped 

everygame is influenced more and more by the officials. And now in the era of legal gambling all over you cannot have that. It looked very much to me more and more that maybe they are not incompetent but are nothing more than WWE Refs and dictating what will happen in the game. 

the NFL has a huge problem and wait until bettors start deciding enough and enough. 

they really need to FIX the officiating in their 18B Business 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 17
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Only a league who takes no pride in the game or it’s history would trot these part-time jacka**es out week in and week out. Clearly they put $ over any integrity. If the NFL had MLB caliber refs these games would be extraordinary because the player’s raw talents would shine, not part-time lawyers ineptitude’s.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills by themselves today had more penalties (12) than the total in 5 other NFL games. And they were tied in a 6th game.

Just so much ticky tack stuff is called on the Bills it seems. Whatever, can’t blame refs for the loss but it’s brutal to watch all those flags. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Today was absolutely brutal across the board. 

I'm still trying to figure out Stars Defensive holding call on a run play??? I mean how does that even get called?

You can sometimes get those if you hold blockers to try to allow your teammates to get through to make the tackle.

But yes, officiating was quite bad today. They made a lot of embarrassing mistakes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

We played crap. All game long.

The officials weren't the reason we lost. 

We couldn't run, we couldn't pass, and we couldn't protect Allen. And he made mistakes. Fricking awful.

The officials didn't have a good game today. But the real abomination on the field today was the Bills offense.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Eyeroll 1

24 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

I'm still trying to figure out Stars Defensive holding call on a run play??? I mean how does that even get called?

yeah that was one where I wanted to at least see a replay of what the hell happened

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

It gets called when the DL grabs a player and pulls him out of position so another play can shoot the gap on a blitz or a stunt.  It's not a common call but it is called enough that you should know the reason why.  

Every call should be eligible for a challenge by an independent officiating crew.  The NFL has to work to get the right call.  The referee's union killed the Pass interference challenge by not reversing any of the calls.  That is why it needs to be an independent replay group.  Give each coach two challenges a game on any call.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I had a feeling it might be a long day when Trubisky was called for unsportsmanlike conduct on the first play of the game. 

That was the beginning of the nightmare. My sister and I were having the conversation that she heard from some sources that there was some late heavy betting in Vegas on the Jags "straight up" and also on the "under" and Jags with the spread.  After some of these calls, it was pretty obvious to see that the refs wanted a tight game and would swing the momentum against the Bills whenever possible.  

The Bills folded under the pressure and as several Jags players mentioned, "the Bills had no energy."  They gave up the ghost while the refs managed the payouts. NFL is a complete joke. Adding to my fury is the personal pile on of Aaron Rodgers. God forbid you don't tow the company line on everything they dictate.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

The league was working on the legend of Trevor Lawrence today.

It's so adorable that some fans still don't believe the shield can steer games any direction they want. Boettger is allowed to react to a neutral zone infraction. I'm over this horrible officiating. The Bills will never get calls. Today we lost because we failed to improve our OL.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

We played crap. All game long.

The officials weren't the reason we lost. 

We couldn't run, we couldn't pass, and we couldn't protect Allen. And he made mistakes. Fricking awful.

Oh knock this crap off.  We are allowed to discuss other aspects of the game as well.  The fact of the matter is REGARDLESS OF HOW WE PLAYED, a 3 point game was absolutely affected by horrendous officiating, some of the worst I've ever seen.  I don't believe in "not deserving to win", as I'd be just as upset by these refs if both teams played an outstanding classic of a game because the officiating exists outside of the teams' play.

40-37, or 9-6, or anything in between, refs influenced the game.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

That was the beginning of the nightmare. My sister and I were having the conversation that she heard from some sources that there was some late heavy betting in Vegas on the Jags "straight up" and also on the "under" and Jags with the spread.  After some of these calls, it was pretty obvious to see that the refs wanted a tight game and would swing the momentum against the Bills whenever possible.  

The Bills folded under the pressure and as several Jags players mentioned, "the Bills had no energy."  They gave up the ghost while the refs managed the payouts. NFL is a complete joke. Adding to my fury is the personal pile on of Aaron Rodgers. God forbid you don't tow the company line on everything they dictate.

Rodgers lied to our face in front of microphones, he deserves to be piled on. He earned it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

How about the “taunting” Call on Levi on a successful QB sneak where he Was 30 yards away from the play?  That doesn’t even make sense. 

Or the personal foul called on AJ Klein as he simply blocked a defender on a kick return.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I had a feeling it might be a long day when Trubisky was called for unsportsmanlike conduct on the first play of the game. 

When it happened, I told my friend I found it highly suspicious how quick they were announce the penalty on the Bills without bothering to confirm it, as if calling penalties on the Bills was their prime directive.  Then reversing the initially properly called 15 yard penalty that was on the Jags O to be on our D instead confirmed my suspicions.

The Jags also seemed to spend a lot of the game intentionally trying to goad the Bills into penalties, constantly trying to get Bills players to retaliate, flopping, and even their long snapper rocking back and forth trying to get defenders to jump.  They knew they likely wouldn't beat us without some help from the refs.

9 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

That would explain why my late betting line on the game suddenly dropped from a point spread of 15.5 points to 14.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

A few years back when the regular refs walked out, the announcers kept harping that the fans were upset about the fill-ins and wanted the regular refs back... I know I didn't.  Sure, the replacements blew a few calls, bad, but overall it felt balanced. Today's game, as usual, did not feel balanced.  Yes, that RT was moving early and kept getting away with it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

When it happened, I told my friend I found it highly suspicious how quick they were announce the penalty on the Bills without bothering to confirm it, as if calling penalties on the Bills was their prime directive.  Then reversing the initially properly called 15 yard penalty that was on the Jags O to be on our D instead confirmed my suspicions.

The Jags also seemed to spend a lot of the game intentionally trying to goad the Bills into penalties, constantly trying to get Bills players to retaliate, flopping, and even their long snapper rocking back and forth trying to get defenders to jump.  They knew they likely wouldn't beat us without some help from the refs.

That would explain why my late betting line on the game suddenly dropped from a point spread of 15.5 points to 14.

If you find out where most of the money is being bet, which side would give the biggest blow to the books go the opposite. It's happening regularly. 

I played Jax +14.5 on my parlay , but my friend hit the jags moneyline at +650, $300 bet hit for $1950 profit

The officiating today was terrible.  What did we have 4 personal fouls in the first half!!  But watch around the league, it is like that in a lot of games.  The taunting penalties.  Almost any hit on the QB is called.  Ridiculous.  Football is a physical violent game with plenty of emotion.  Watch a game from say 25 years ago the way it was officiated then and now.  Completely different.  Back in the day holding was called.  But the physicality was off the chain.  They are seriously trying to take the physicality and violence out of the sport.  I am a big college and pro fan.  For my money other then the Bills the college game is just a better brand of football.

That all being said, today's game is shocking what happened to the offense.  The chemistry is just way off.  Hard to believe but Dawson Knox was our big difference maker this year.  That Sweeney is our 2nd string TE is frightening.  And for all of you who argue about Singletary vs Moss, I have news for you, neither of them is better then marginal on their best days.  Our running game is non existent.  Can we at least give Antonio Williams a shot?  Heck TJ Yeldon got screwed for two seasons here.  And he is better then both of those guys.  Beane and McDermott really misjudged the talent level in a lot of positions on this roster coming into the season.  Shame on them.  We are still 5-3 but to get this turned around is going to take a huge effort across the board.  This team needs a wake up call of wupp ass.  Lets hope that happened today.  

13 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

A few years back when the regular refs walked out, the announcers kept harping that the fans were upset about the fill-ins and wanted the regular refs back... I know I didn't.  Sure, the replacements blew a few calls, bad, but overall it felt balanced. Today's game, as usual, did not feel balanced.  Yes, that RT was moving early and kept getting away with it. 

I noticed their RT moving early and thought it would have wiped out a 3rd down conversion later in the game but the refs didn't call it.  McD should have blown a gasket.  Imagine how Marv Levy would have reacted to all those bad calls.

Early in the game Dawkins got called for a unsportsmanlike, which killed a drive (the refs erroneously called it on Williams). 

i just re-watched it. The defender spun and jumped up, and right when he jumped, Dawkins pushed him in the chest and pancaked him. It was a great and clean block, and was largely caused by this guy jumping up. Dawkins then fell forward. 

Dawkins literally did nothing wrong.  

Edited by Miyagi-Do Karate
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Th e refs did not cost the game but were truy horrible. Worst reffing I've seen in a ling while..and there's been many bad ones this year. Why I have no idea though.

But what a way to start the game. A penalty on Trubinski (!), then the total reversal on giving to White. It set the tone...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I don’t blame losses on officials. And I hate officials threads. But I needed to write this one. Week after week the NFL trots out a substandard and incompetent group for their games. They are called the officials. 

game after game they think they are what the fans come to see and heavily influence the game. 

I counted at least 10 times the RT for Jax made a step before the ball was snapped not called a single time. This is an easy one I mean ***** there is an official looking right down the line at him and there is literally nothing else they are looking for pre snap. And I am not just talking flinches there were two plays he was a freaking yard deep in his pass set before the ball was snapped 

everygame is influenced more and more by the officials. And now in the era of legal gambling all over you cannot have that. It looked very much to me more and more that maybe they are not incompetent but are nothing more than WWE Refs and dictating what will happen in the game. 

the NFL has a huge problem and wait until bettors start deciding enough and enough. 

Saw the same thing with the Jags RT. I about jumped out of my seat a few times because he was 2 steps back by the time the ball was snapped...like WTF are they looking at??

I mean at least Hughes got a holding penalty this week...

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Do you think betting is a good thing for the sport?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.