NFL Officiating is an abomination for a 18B product

MAJBobby

1 hour ago, Azucho98 said:

I noticed their RT moving early and thought it would have wiped out a 3rd down conversion later in the game but the refs didn't call it.  McD should have blown a gasket.  Imagine how Marv Levy would have reacted to all those bad calls.

On the play after Tre got hurt, where the Jags then almost got a wide open TD on 3rd down, he jumped so early that I was out of my seat screaming FALSE START before the ball was even snapped.  I wasn't even specifically watching for him, it was just that obvious.  But by then I was just so dejected and "done with" the refs that I wasn't even angry anymore.

*edit*

Probably the weirdest no call was later in a drive where the RT already had an uncalled false start, was the "domino false start".  RT jumps, followed by the RG jumping, followed by the center snapping the ball.  Just like the other play I mentioned, the RT was a good yard plus off his set point by the time the ball was snapped.  I was just numb watching all this.

Edited by 1ManRaid

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

Th e refs did not cost the game but were truy horrible. Worst reffing I've seen in a ling while..and there's been many bad ones this year. Why I have no idea though.

But what a way to start the game. A penalty on Trubinski (!), then the total reversal on giving to White. It set the tone...

I'm normally in the camp of "refs were just overall bad for both teams", but this time I can unequivocally say yes the refs cost us that game.  Yes, yes, we played poorly, but even so we still win that game if the refs aren't reversing 15 yard penalties and letting the Jags' RT get away with 548 false starts in a 3 point game.

13 minutes ago, FieldGeneral said:

After Josh fumbled on 3rd and long, I turned the game off. Why did we get another down? It clearly was a fumble. 

It's called "QB being in the clutch" and lack of forward progress.  Josh was clearly stopped and not going anywhere, and the defenders were basically holding him up and trying to strip the ball past the point the refs considered the play dead.  One of the few plays the refs got right 

• Agree 1

It's rough, the end of that Rams game only agrees with this entire thread. Couple it with the constant gambling push and it's just not a great product right now in my opinion.  I personally know a few salty people that lost player prop bets due to the officials lol, a crap nexus of 2021 problems. I can understand why casual fans are losing interest.

Just now, bigduke6 said:

one day, ill actually know what is,  and isnt,  a PI in the NFL,  one day......

On that 4th down play at the end of the game, I was walking out of the room when I heard the commentator say (paraphrasing) "the defender has just as much of a right to make a play on the ball".  That dragged me back into the room screaming "WHAT?!?  YOU CAN'T DIVE DIRECTLY THROUGH THE BACK OF THE WR WHILE THE BALL IS EN ROUTE TO MAKE THAT PLAY THOUGH!"  Weird thing though was that the commentator sounded dejected and defeated as he said it, as if even he was tired of making excuses for the crap refs.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, KzooMike said:

I love college football and watch it more as a whole than I do NFL. I watch every Bills game, but I'll watch several college games. In my opinion the refs at the college level are better. I feel it's largely because they have less involvement in the game. 

This should be the memo to the Head of Officiating.  The fans don't want to see your faces and left wondering after EVERY PLAY ESPECIALLY SPECIAL TEAMS - "Oh wait where is the flag....gotta be a flag.....hold on...... ..OK celebrate now."  

If you're calling 12 plus penalties total a game they better be blatant.   Yes fellas, there is holding on every play, if it's not egregious and had little to no impact on the play, don't throw the flag.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Serious question. 

if a bunch of bozos (like me)  can clearly see false

starts on the RT , why was it missed?

this is a multi billion dollar industry. 

Bills should be making this shoddy officiating an issue. Take it public. Issue a YouTube showing the zillion false starts, the bogus personal fouls and unsportsmanlike calls. Put it out there and ask NFL to defend their officials. Have the voiceover ask if they were bought off. 

cauae it looked that way. 

I can't really say anything about today's officiating since I wasn't able to watch the game, although I was a bit confused about Star getting a holding call on a run play. I may get a bit flamed for saying this, but I wonder how much these officials won in this game betting in Vegas? Going from wiping teams like the Jags out to this? It sickens me to know McDermott can't voice his frustration since apparently, Goodell would come down on him with a fine. A lot of people keep saying were fine when we're far from fine. Today was a combination of a garbage game plan, playing down to a hideous level of ineptitude and some very questionable officiating. I hope to see some of the coaching staff held accountable,(*cough* Bobby Johnson). Our issues start at the top all the way down

9 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

How about the “taunting” Call on Levi on a successful QB sneak where he Was 30 yards away from the play?  That doesn’t even make sense. 

Jax made first down.  What could Levi been saying?  You just gave up big third down conversion- that’s a time to shut up

9 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

How about the “taunting” Call on Levi on a successful QB sneak where he Was 30 yards away from the play?  That doesn’t even make sense. 

Im still trying to figure out how a defense gets called for holding on a run play.

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It gets called when the DL grabs a player and pulls him out of position so another play can shoot the gap on a blitz or a stunt.  It's not a common call but it is called enough that you should know the reason why.  

Every call should be eligible for a challenge by an independent officiating crew.  The NFL has to work to get the right call.  The referee's union killed the Pass interference challenge by not reversing any of the calls.  That is why it needs to be an independent replay group.  Give each coach two challenges a game on any call.  

I like this idea.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It's so adorable that some fans still don't believe the shield can steer games any direction they want. Boettger is allowed to react to a neutral zone infraction. I'm over this horrible officiating. The Bills will never get calls. Today we lost because we failed to improve our OL.

Nah. I actually thought the same thing and rewinded the DVR during commercial.  Boettger flinched to Allens hard count.  Had nothing to do with defensive movement. It wasn't even close.

Just now, Scott7975 said:

Nah. I actually thought the same thing and rewinded the DVR during commercial.  Boettger flinched to Allens hard count.  Had nothing to do with defensive movement. It wasn't even close.

Maybe he should have just started in his drop. Evidently two steps before the snap is ok. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Th e refs did not cost the game but were truy horrible. Worst reffing I've seen in a ling while..and there's been many bad ones this year. Why I have no idea though.

But what a way to start the game. A penalty on Trubinski (!), then the total reversal on giving to White. It set the tone...

Actually they may have, they certainly cost us 3 pts and aided them in getting 3. The PF on White was a joke and extended a drive that was over. As bad as we hurt ourselves, they definitely added to it.

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

Jax made first down.  What could Levi been saying?  You just gave up big third down conversion- that’s a time to shut up

The receiver pushed him hard after the first down was made, it was a retaliatory call that was bs…

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

McD doesn't have the stones to complain to the league. And maybe if he did he'd just get permanently blackballed like Hughes and the Raiders.  

He also needs to explain the thought process behind declining a 10 yard holding penalty on a 3rd and 5 which resulted in the Jags attempting and making a 55 yard FG to tie at 6-6.  Was he afraid the defense would give up 15 yards on the subsequent 3rd down if he accepted it?  At this time I said that I wouldn't be surprised if that 3 points in the difference in the game.   

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

*edit*

Probably the weirdest no call was later in a drive where the RT already had an uncalled false start, was the "domino false start".  RT jumps, followed by the RG jumping, followed by the center snapping the ball.  Just like the other play I mentioned, the RT was a good yard plus off his set point by the time the ball was snapped.  I was just numb watching all this.

Noticed this one as well and actually thought that the RT and RG were so far in the backfield by the time the ball was snapped that the refs could have called illegal formation if they didn't recognize what a false start was...

7 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Bills should be making this shoddy officiating an issue. Take it public. Issue a YouTube showing the zillion false starts, the bogus personal fouls and unsportsmanlike calls. Put it out there and ask NFL to defend their officials. Have the voiceover ask if they were bought off. 

Paging Odell Beckham Sr.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Im still trying to figure out how a defense gets called for holding on a run play.

I like this idea.

Defensive holding calls on run plays are a real thing. The interior d-lineman will hold a guard or center trying to shift across in order to let the LB get through to the RB cleanly. I have seen it called plenty of times over the years. I didn’t see it on the play because it wan’t replayed and i was in a setting where i couldn’t rewind it, but I am assuming it was legit.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Defensive holding calls on run plays are a real thing. The interior d-lineman will hold a guard or center trying to shift across in order to let the LB get through to the RB cleanly. I have seen it called plenty of times over the years. I didn’t see it on the play because it wan’t replayed and i was in a setting where i couldn’t rewind it, but I am assuming it was legit.

Yeah Im not saying it wasn't legit.  Just don't see it often.

11 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I don’t blame losses on officials. And I hate officials threads. But I needed to write this one. Week after week the NFL trots out a substandard and incompetent group for their games. They are called the officials. 

game after game they think they are what the fans come to see and heavily influence the game. 

I counted at least 10 times the RT for Jax made a step before the ball was snapped not called a single time. This is an easy one I mean ***** there is an official looking right down the line at him and there is literally nothing else they are looking for pre snap. And I am not just talking flinches there were two plays he was a freaking yard deep in his pass set before the ball was snapped 

everygame is influenced more and more by the officials. And now in the era of legal gambling all over you cannot have that. It looked very much to me more and more that maybe they are not incompetent but are nothing more than WWE Refs and dictating what will happen in the game. 

the NFL has a huge problem and wait until bettors start deciding enough and enough. 

they really need to FIX the officiating in their 18B Business 

Those were refs recently hired from the college ranks, where the reffing is even worse. But it was pretty even in its badness overall. Allen obviously fumbled on the second-last play (I don’t want to hear about forward progress/in the grasp, so don’t even start), and there was a play where Isiah McKenzie was *clearly* going forward before the snap in the fourth quarter after coming out of motion. Wasn’t called. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Those were refs recently hired from the college ranks, where the reffing is even worse. But it was pretty even in its badness overall. Allen obviously fumbled on the second-last play (I don’t want to hear about forward progress/in the grasp, so don’t even start), and there was a play where Isiah McKenzie was *clearly* going forward before the snap in the fourth quarter after coming out of motion. Wasn’t called. 

So you agree that the NFL has a major problem. 

1 hour ago, JMF2006 said:

Have you ever thought they could be brilliantly bad?

They try to look incompetent but manage to call penalties at just the right time to stall drives or keep them going. 

We saw this for years in New England, when they would call a bunch of ticky-tack fouls on the Pats in garbage time, well after the damage was already done, so the penalties would look balanced in the box score.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

The incompetent Officials issue has been going on for at least 20 years now. Instead of getting better when they made the officials full time, it actually seems to have made them much worse. Now the officials feel the need to justify their FULL time jobs by inserting themselves in the game and calling everything they see or appear to see whether it affects the play or not. In addition, it seems like there some decent officials out there but they are lost in the sea of inept people scattered throughout. If the NFL was serious about this they would up the training and standards for these officials because things have obviously sunk to a new low. That crew yesterday acted as if they were still drunk from an all night party the previous evening. Lazy, confused and stupid. Instead of backing off after they had already negatively affected the flow of the game, they doubled down and made it worse. The key to all this is that the Bills have to rise above it and not let it bother them. The true sign of a championship caliber team is if they can continue to succeed after the gut punch of an officials bad call!

12 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I don’t blame losses on officials. And I hate officials threads. But I needed to write this one. Week after week the NFL trots out a substandard and incompetent group for their games. They are called the officials. 

game after game they think they are what the fans come to see and heavily influence the game. 

I counted at least 10 times the RT for Jax made a step before the ball was snapped not called a single time. This is an easy one I mean ***** there is an official looking right down the line at him and there is literally nothing else they are looking for pre snap. And I am not just talking flinches there were two plays he was a freaking yard deep in his pass set before the ball was snapped 

everygame is influenced more and more by the officials. And now in the era of legal gambling all over you cannot have that. It looked very much to me more and more that maybe they are not incompetent but are nothing more than WWE Refs and dictating what will happen in the game. 

the NFL has a huge problem and wait until bettors start deciding enough and enough. 

they really need to FIX the officiating in their 18B Business 

I had to watch in a bar with no sound and I saw those false starts not getting flagged. They couldn't be more obvious.

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

He also needs to explain the thought process behind declining a 10 yard holding penalty on a 3rd and 5 which resulted in the Jags attempting and making a 55 yard FG to tie at 6-6.  Was he afraid the defense would give up 15 yards on the subsequent 3rd down if he accepted it?  At this time I said that I wouldn't be surprised if that 3 points in the difference in the game.   

So very true and I'm surprised to not see a main forum thread on this very topic. I didn't like it in the GDT and still now.  McD, Daboll and the entire O had a horrible day. 

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

You could basically call D hold on a lineman basically any play then when trying to shed Olineman. 

The UR call on Dawkins was the worst call of all yesterday.  DB is blitzing, jumps off the ground, and Dawkins pushes him in the chest and the DB lands on his ass.  So pass protection is now a penalty.  Just ridiculous.

Correction:  @Miyagi-Do Karatehas a post with a video showing Dawkins, after pushing the guy to the ground, jumping on top of him with a flying elbow.  Dawkins deserved the penalty, it was an idiotic move.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Agree 2

Honestly, the Bills deserved to lose yesterday considering how badly they played.  If they had beaten Jacksonville by 3 TDs, which they should have, then the officials wouldn't even be an issue.

That said, there's no serious doubt in my mind that we win an ugly and worrisome game with halfway-competent officiating.  Just something as simple as not flagging Boettger for an imaginary false start probably would have done it.  No need to "fix" every single bad call -- just one or two would have been enough.

I was at the game and the in stadium screens tried to show the penalties a few times but either because of wrong numbers they often showed nothing. The officials controlled that game and it was awful to sit there and watch. Good officiating we probably still lose but they were horrendous and if I was not so invested I probably would have left in the third, just nothing worthwhile happened. Even Jags fans were yelling to just let them play. 

They were as useless as I can remember. And I include the no call on Josh's 2nd fumble in that. It was blatant and they missed it.

The worst was the multiple Offside on the Jags 3rd down play before their FG (I think). It was so obvious to everyone and they either missed it or didn't feel like throwing the flag

Just now, BillsFanSD said:

Honestly, the Bills deserved to lose yesterday considering how badly they played.  If they had beaten Jacksonville by 3 TDs, which they should have, then the officials wouldn't even be an issue.

That said, there's no serious doubt in my mind that we win an ugly and worrisome game with halfway-competent officiating.  Just something as simple as not flagging Boettger for an imaginary false start probably would have done it.  No need to "fix" every single bad call -- just one or two would have been enough.

You think the false start was worse than calling a penalty on Mitch Trubiskey who was not even in the stadium?😁 No you are right, several of the penalties were drive killers.

4 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Boettger flinched before the JAX player jumped.  I had to watch it 3 times on slow mo before I saw it, but it's there.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I stand corrected on the Dion PF call.

I just saw a new angle, and the refs may have gotten this one right. After Dion pancakes this guy, he inexplicably just hammers his face with his arm, WWE style. It looked Ike an elbow from Greg the Hammer Valentine. 

Jesus Christ how stupid was that?

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

We played crap. All game long.

The officials weren't the reason we lost. 

We couldn't run, we couldn't pass, and we couldn't protect Allen. And he made mistakes. Fricking awful.

The officials didn't have a good game today. But the real abomination on the field today was the Bills offense.

This thread has nothing to do with the way our team played.  The discussion is about how bad the referees were yesterday and are in general.  

Railroading a thread just because you disagree with something….not sure what.  OP never said anything about the refs being the reason we lost the game.  

the refs were atrocious.  Discuss.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The UR call on Dawkins was the worst call of all yesterday.  DB is blitzing, jumps off the ground, and Dawkins pushes him in the chest and the DB lands on his ass.  So pass protection is now a penalty.  Just ridiculous.

I stand corrected, @Miyagi-Do Karateshows below that Dawkins dropped an elbow on the guy after he pancaked him.  Stupid, stupid, stupid by the Shnow.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.