Game Thread: MNF Colts @ Ravens

PromoTheRobot

28 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

That ***** Lamar Jackson had to steal Josh’s thunder. What a game he had

Lamar played great, but I can't believe how soft the Colts were towards the end of the game. It was honestly pathetic despite them being shorthanded. What happened to the aggression that slowed him down for 2 1/2 quarters?

Also lost in the outcome was Wentz of all people threw for 402 yards. Not much defense was being played on either side including the vaunted Baltimore unit.

Edited by buffblue

Lamar won that game basically on his own. The Ravens have no running game, their defense couldn't stop the rush and despite fumbling at the 1 Lamar got himself up off the canvas and won his team the game. That is the best he has played since his MVP year. The book on stopping Baltimore has been stop the conventional run game (ie. the backs) and take away the middle of the field. The Colts did the first and did a reasonable job of the 2nd except in the redzone. This game showed signs of progress from Lamar as a passer. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, buffblue said:

What happened to the aggression that slowed him down for 2 1/2 quarters?

Yeah, I will never understand this. It's like it takes too much effort to try on defense, so teams stop when they get big leads. Someone on the radio yesterday said matter of fact that the Bills simplified their scheme against KC once they got up in the game. I do not get it.

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Still don’t get why Bills fans hate Lamar so much…

always figured it’s because of being in the same draft class as Allen…and being more successful with more accolades yet being drafted later.

Lamar represents that road block to claiming Buffalo got the best so and so from the 2018 draft at the most important position.

Obviously JA17 is also amazing.

But for soem fans…if they aren’t getting 100% love-attention…they rage.  😂 

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I actually really like Lamar’s personality and think he’s a good dude.   

Lamar just looks so bad sometimes, and then when you’re like alright - enough of this dude, he goes bonkers for a half on some team and makes you entertain the idea that he’s an elite QB again. 

Then the next day, it’s all i ThOugHt He WaS fIgUrEd OuT

He’s really good, probably in the elite convo, but such a unique player. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, wjag said:

My gosh those Ravens are a tough out.  All their games this year are high drama.  And my oh my did LJ8 look otherworldly last night.  

The thing is, he’s done it before.  The Ravens are one of those teams (like the Chiefs) where a several score lead in the 4th is not safe

Ask the Browns last season

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Might be a stupid question but let’s say colts fire Reich, would anyone on here disagree about bringing him in as OC if Daboll does leave in 22?

After seeing his calls last night??

6 hours ago, gobills404 said:

You do know a player isn't down til they get touched, right?

If he gets knocked down he's down 

6 hours ago, Paulus said:

That's why I wanted to see the video. The tweet says he was not touched. 

They also didn’t say he was down they said it was an illegal coward pass. IMO it was a terrible call and gave the Ravens the win. 

I saw the replay he wasn’t touched when the ball came out.

59 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Who "hates" Lamar?  A couple of us have fun calling him Lamont (which I will now stop), but other than that what has anyone done aside from point out what every other analyst has pointed out...namely, that he has not shown development in his passing ability that can offset teams scheming to stop the run.  He took a huge step towards changing the narrative with that 2nd half last night.

If "Bills fans" (since you want to lump everyone together) feel any particular bias against Lamar, it's probably because for the better part of two seasons Lamar got all of the publicity while Josh was routinely trashed, and I think most of us believe Josh is the better overall QB.

Get over yourself, man.  Of all people to talk about "hate" -- I think you might hate yourself, actually.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wjag said:

My gosh those Ravens are a tough out.  All their games this year are high drama.  And my oh my did LJ8 look otherworldly last night.  

Great culture, great coaching and one of the most dynamic playmakers in the league at Quarterback. They are just really well run top to bottom. 

8 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Allen

Herbert

Henry

Brady

No one else is close.  

The Ravens are their own HOF kicker and the Colts awful kicker away from being 2-3

I definitely disagree with nobody else being close. I think Dak, Kyler, and Lamar all have a case to be made ahead of Henry.

I think if the season ended today, Brady would probably win MVP, but it's a really muddled group at the top right now.

• Agree 1

lamar reminds me of mike vick or jeff george where he will have some really sloppy lack luster games, and will always have a few series where he looks like he doesn't belong (bills did that to him in the playoffs) but then just explodes for video game stats and highlight reel plays.

i wouldn't want to be my team's super bowl chances on him, i think over a long season or playoff he will turn up bad at some point and you won't be able to continue, but i wouldn't want to face him in an elimination game either, cuz he can just hit that stride and plays outside of the normal scheme of things and makes the D look silly.

if he played w a back like henry he'd be soooooo bad to play against.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Great culture, great coaching and one of the most dynamic playmakers in the league at Quarterback. They are just really well run top to bottom. 

Yep.  Ravens had no business winning that game.  Colts were the more desperate team and playing like their season was on the line.  Ravens hung in their long enough before Lamar put them on their back.  Lamar is hard not to root for.  Similar to Josh.  So many doubters because they don’t fit into the cookie cutter mold of what a successful NFL QB is supposed to do.  They just go out there and ball and do their thing.  And they both got picked by exactly the right organizations.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I think at least part of it is that when they were both in the draft, there was a very vocal community arguing that Lamar was an elite prospect and Allen sucked, and then Lamar came out and won MVP in his first season as a full-time starter while Allen was still being ripped apart by most people at the time.

I viewed Lamar as the best prospect in the class that year but I was also high on Allen and I think the similarities between the two made it weird that it turned into such a polarizing argument.

I didn't care for Frank Reich taking the losers stroll after the game last night. I root for he except when it is adverse in any way towards the Bills. He pastored a church here in socal for a while and I was a patient of the Chargers team dentist and was hoping I'd run into him there. Shoot never happened. I think Id be starstruck from his time In Buffalo lol Im a fan.

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea only so many times you can call screen, out route, play action boot shallow cross on repeat. That said, he is limited by the fact his Quarterback is trash. 

People keep saying that but I didn't see it last night. Wentz: 25/35 for 402, 2TD 0INT. That's not shabby. Which makes Reich playing for the FG late in the 4th even more incomprehensible.

44 minutes ago, eball said:

Who "hates" Lamar?  A couple of us have fun calling him Lamont (which I will now stop), but other than that what has anyone done aside from point out what every other analyst has pointed out...namely, that he has not shown development in his passing ability that can offset teams scheming to stop the run.  He took a huge step towards changing the narrative with that 2nd half last night.

If "Bills fans" (since you want to lump everyone together) feel any particular bias against Lamar, it's probably because for the better part of two seasons Lamar got all of the publicity while Josh was routinely trashed, and I think most of us believe Josh is the better overall QB.

Get over yourself, man.  Of all people to talk about "hate" -- I think you might hate yourself, actually.

Lamar was the better player for the Ravens in 18 and 19 than Josh was for the Bills. 

Josh is non-traditional, in that he is a throwback. But you watch him play and you go, "oh Cam" or"that reminded me of Favre or Elway". Josh also has a super non-traditional path through college, and pro progression. Anybody who said they knew Josh would be the guy he is now is full of poo. He is an absolute one in a million story. The fact  that he is playing the way he is given how he played in college and when he first came into the league is remarkable. Teams should not try and replicate it, it is a waste of time and resources. The dude is all moxy, all guts, a total dawg, and I love that I am here for it. 

Lamar does not really have any peers as a QB in the NFL, I think it makes it tough for people to wrap their head around whether he is good or bad. 

Would I trade Josh for Lamar? No absolutely not. But the guy is a great player in the league right now. Maybe not to you, but to the board, it does seem like it has become popular to parrot, "but he's just a running back" or, "not a good enough passer", like he is Tim Tebow or some nonsense.  The guy is a proficient passer. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

always figured it’s because of being in the same draft class as Allen…and being more successful with more accolades yet being drafted later.

Lamar represents that road block to claiming Buffalo got the best so and so from the 2018 draft at the most important position.

Obviously JA17 is also amazing.

But for soem fans…if they aren’t getting 100% love-attention…they rage.  😂 

this is really your take on it?  gross as always.

i think it has to do more with the fact that bills fans have been looking for a pure, competent passer for year.  we have one and now fans are rightfully excited.  lamar, as great of an athlete as he is, isn't seen (typically) as that kind of a passer.  he's fun to watch, but who would you rather have...allen or lamar?  

who cares about accolades.  the bills beat lamar and the ravens last year when in mattered in the playoffs.  no one hates the guy.  they just don't think as much of lamar as they do of allen.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Agree. Simply acknowledge that both are good players…

do you really think this is the case?  do you really think bills fans are jealous of lamar and his accomplishments?  come on.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

People keep saying that but I didn't see it last night. Wentz: 25/35 for 402, 2TD 0INT. That's not shabby. Which makes Reich playing for the FG late in the 4th even more incomprehensible.

Yea throwing three routes. Reich's playcalling is directly related to what he thinks his Quarterback can do. 

Edited by GunnerBill

• SDS unpinned this topic
22 minutes ago, teef said:

this is really your take on it?  gross as always.

i think it has to do more with the fact that bills fans have been looking for a pure, competent passer for year.  we have one and now fans are rightfully excited.  lamar, as great of an athlete as he is, isn't seen (typically) as that kind of a passer.  he's fun to watch, but who would you rather have...allen or lamar?  

who cares about accolades.  the bills beat lamar and the ravens last year when in mattered in the playoffs.  no one hates the guy.  they just don't think as much of lamar as they do of allen.

do you really think this is the case?  do you really think bills fans are jealous of lamar and his accomplishments?  come on.

Not really my “take” 

just the facts to the reason why folks hate on Lamar round these “football educated” parts of WNY.

bottom line…Mafia fans can’t tand if buffalo is not 100% loved and their WNY inferiority complex only drives it up further.

simple really.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Oh please. Id take Allen 100% over Lamar. No question in my mind he is the better QB… I just find it funny a lot Bills fans look for every which way they can to bash him. You can be critical of Lamar without hyperbole…. There was literally a thread on here that the Lamar Jackson era is over. 😅

He’s still a top QB in the game in his own unique playing style. 

And people do that to their own Bills players, but you have no problem with that.  Just Lamar.  I do agree that he is a top QB in his own unique playing style.  I still don't think he is that great of a passer. I don't think he will ever win a super bowl.  Defenses are too good in the playoffs and he will run into a team that can contain him while maintaining coverage on Andrews like the Bills can.

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

And people do that to their own Bills players, but you have no problem with that.  Just Lamar.  I do agree that he is a top QB in his own unique playing style.  I still don't think he is that great of a passer. I don't think he will ever win a super bowl.  Defenses are too good in the playoffs and he will run into a team that can contain him while maintaining coverage on Andrews like the Bills can.

I am not sure how anyone can be so certain of that. Do I think you are more likely to win one with a Josh Allen or a Justin Herbert or a Mahomes? Yes. But am I going to say I don't think Lamar could ever win one? No. Especially not on such a well run organisation. Baltimore's path to a Lombardi is more narrow because their playing style is so specific, but there remains a path. For them to be 4-1 with the injuries they have this year is testament to everyone involved, including Jackson. The dude is balling. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Mango said:

Josh is non-traditional, in that he is a throwback. But you watch him play and you go, "oh Cam" or"that reminded me of Favre or Elway". Josh also has a super non-traditional path through college, and pro progression. Anybody who said they knew Josh would be the guy he is now is full of poo. He is an absolute one in a million story. The fact  that he is playing the way he is given how he played in college and when he first came into the league is remarkable. Teams should not try and replicate it, it is a waste of time and resources. The dude is all moxy, all guts, a total dawg, and I love that I am here for it

I get what you are saying here, but there are some of us who knew Josh was far more talented than Peterman, McCarron, or some of his draft peers, and that he had untapped potential.  A lot of the plays you see him making today escaping pressure, insane throws, hurdles, etc - he was doing that in college as well if you paid any attention (which most Bills fan didn't).  He was just far more inconsistent in college due to the non-traditional path you reference and lack of upper level QB coaching.   But you paint a picture that his college tape is garbage, I would argue inconsistent.    

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.