report- Empire State Development downtown stadium proposal

loyal2dagame

South Park and Louisiana. Perry Projects property IIRC. Right where you'd think. Paladino is pushing some buttons to make sure his First Ward properties pay off. Dunkirk Don is right about one thing. Follow the money.

5 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Will they build a new training center also in downtown?

Plenty of teams have training facilities away from the stadium. Washington comes to mind. Their facility is in Ashburn VA, the stadium is on the other side of town in Landover, MD.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

South Park and Louisiana. Perry Projects property IIRC. Right where you'd think. Paladino is pushing some buttons to make sure his First Ward properties pay off. Dunkirk Don is right about one thing. Follow the money.

image.thumb.jpeg.e0a752f32751563c292e4505e123f16d.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

• loyal2dagame changed the title to report- Empire State Development downtown stadium proposal

I suspect it's just due diligence.  Expect Orchard Park.  There's probably a negotiation element to this, too; Kathy can feign interest in the downtown location with the higher price during her negotiations with the legislature and "settle" on the Orchard Park option everyone probably preferred all along.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

Plenty of teams have training facilities away from the stadium. Washington comes to mind. Their facility is in Ashburn VA, the stadium is on the other side of town in Landover, MD.

The Panthers are located in another state. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Beast said:

What's the big facination with downtown? What does Buffalo have that will make the gameday experience better than what we already have in Orchard Park?

It’s just fun to bring up, because……well, sit back and watch!  :)

• Haha (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Beast said:

What's the big facination with downtown? What does Buffalo have that will make the gameday experience better than what we already have in Orchard Park?

Well, part of it is that stadiums recently have had residential and commerical spaces around them as well. That makes more sense in the city than it does in OP. 

I took a tour of Mile High this summer and there are lots of new apartments and the like right around it which supports more commerical space also. If they dropped it at SP and Louisiana and demoed the Perry Projects a development like that could go in that space.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

Was going to say Perry Projects too. City-owned land ripe for redevelopment between Canalside and Larkinville.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I like the idea of a downtown stadium, but it’s gonna be more expensive than the 1.4 billion stadium in OP. Chances are it ends up in OP

Not necessarily. If the Perry Projects are offered up by the city that saves a lot on land acquisition.

47 minutes ago, Beast said:

Tailgating will diminish but not completely go away. One way to argue the benefit of a downtown stadium is if local businesses host pre-game parties, etc. Besides, too much of Buffalo's gameday experience involves getting passed-out drunk. Honestly that's something we need to get away from.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Well, part of it is that stadiums recently have had residential and commerical spaces around them as well. That makes more sense in the city than it does in OP. 

I took a tour of Mile High this summer and there are lots of new apartments and the like right around it which supports more commerical space also. If they dropped it at SP and Louisiana and demoed the Perry Projects a development like that could go in that space.

OK, so what about that will make the gamday experience better?

Just now, Beast said:

OK, so what about that will make the gamday experience better?

People spending money at the stadium and local businesses? Ever been to a Ravens game? You have tailgating but you also have restaurants hosting pregame parties. Not everyone wants to grill and chug beer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Tailgating will diminish but not completely go away. One way to argue the benefit of a downtown stadium is if local businesses host pre-game parties, etc. Besides, too much of Buffalo's gameday experience involves getting passed-out drunk. Honestly that's something we need to get away from.

So, because some get passed out drunk "we" need to get away from the tailgating experience?

Um, no. I'll continue to enjoy drinking within moderation like most do, as well as the company and food!

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

People spending money at the stadium and local businesses? Ever been to a Ravens game? You have tailgating but you also have restaurants hosting pregame parties. Not everyone wants to grill and chug beer.

And not everyone wants to go to a restaurant. In fact, I pretty much guarantee most Bills fans don't. That has become a big part of the gameday experience. Ever notice all the campers and people having a wonderful time?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 3

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

So, because some get passed out drunk "we" need to get away from the tailgating experience?

Um, no. I'll continue to enjoy drinking within moderation like most do, as well as the company and food!

Tailgating will not be eliminated. But you'll have other options. Imagine having nice hotels located next door for those of us coming from out of town.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Beast said:

A City, vs a suburb…, 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

I suspect it's just due diligence.  Expect Orchard Park.  There's probably a negotiation element to this, too; Kathy can feign interest in the downtown location with the higher price during her negotiations with the legislature and "settle" on the Orchard Park option everyone probably preferred all along.  

1 hour ago, Beast said:

18 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not really news.  Same site that was "looked into" by them a few years ago.  This company is getting $154K to come up with something other than "um....how about next to the current stadium".

Agree!  I read the article in the BN and all I got out of it was yes they looked at three sites in the city.  It would look rather poor if all you have is the Bills stating they want to build a stadium next to Highmark and the state comes out and says "OK sure!"  So they are looking at alternative sites, nothing in the article talked about costs or conclusions.

So then when the state decides to build a stadium next to Highmark because it makes the most sense economically, they can say they looked at many alternatives too.  And the firm doing the study gets $150k for coming to same conclusion as the Bills already did.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1

28 minutes ago, Beast said:

And not everyone wants to go to a restaurant. In fact, I pretty much guarantee most Bills fans don't. That has become a big part of the gameday experience. Ever notice all the campers and people having a wonderful time?

Pretty big statement top make with no data to back it up!   Sure not everyone wants to go to a restaurant, but a good number may if they had the choice especially in December when snowing or raining real hard.  Today they don't have the option so no way of knowing.

Actually one could argue, do people tailgate at Sabres games?  Or do they go to restaurants?  If so that proves that's what people really want.  Does this really prove anything, no!  But is a nice way to use some data to back a preconceived conclusion. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Pretty big statement top make with no data to back it up!   Sure not everyone wants to go to a restaurant, but a good number may if they had the choice especially in December when snowing or raining real hard.  Today they don't have the option so no way of knowing.

Actually one could argue, do people tailgate at Sabres games?  Or do they go to restaurants?  If so that proves that's what people really want.  Does this really prove anything, no!  But is a nice way to use some data to back a preconceived conclusion. 

There isn't a decent hotel for miles. Does that mean Bills fans prefer RVs?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why? It's rare for a team to have a training center at their stadium.

This made me curious. The Falcons facility is in Flowery Branch, GA, 44.3 miles from their home stadium. Google says 45 minutes with no traffic, or possibly half a day in Atlanta traffic. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Buffalo has something maybe 2-4 other teams can claim: a totally unique gameday atmosphere (for better or worse). Build upon it and make it better for the next generation, don’t try and be like the other generic, lame downtown experiences. The best place to make that a reality is OP. 

4 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Dunkirk Don? I don't get it but I'm curious because that's where I grew up.

21 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Buffalo has something maybe 2-4 other teams can claim: a totally unique gameday atmosphere (for better or worse). Build upon it and make it better for the next generation, don’t try and be like the other generic, lame downtown experiences. The best place to make that a reality is OP. 

So how do you build on what we have now? More parking lots for tailgating? Table jumping? Actual vomitoriums? I could suggest some things but judging by your "lame" reference you probably wouldn't like them. Even with a downtown stadium there will be plenty of places to tailgate.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Tailgating will not be eliminated. But you'll have other options. Imagine having nice hotels located next door for those of us coming from out of town.

I don’t imagine most Bills fans want to hang out at Applebees before a Bills game. 

Having some hotels nearby would be nice though.

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

First of all, no one goes to Sabres games. 😂

Second, what would going to a warm restaurant before a game matter if they’re going to build an open air stadium where you’re going to freeze your butt off anyway? You’re worried about getting 1 hour of warmth before 3 hours of freeze?

41 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Yes!

I see so many “but other teams do THIS” responses. Why do we want to be like all the other teams? Why do you want to ruin our uniqueness?

Edited by Einstein
  • Disagree 2

On 10/7/2021 at 11:54 PM, Einstein said:

I don’t imagine most Bills fans want to hang out at Applebees before a Bills game. 

Having some hotels nearby would be nice though.

How about Pearl Street Brewing? Buffalo Riverworks? John Labatt House? Flying Bison, Resurgence, Southern Tier, Old First Ward or Belt Line Breweries? Hofbrau Haus? Maybe a live band at Canalside?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How about Pearl Street Brewing? Buffalo Riverworks? John Labatt House? Flying Boston, Resurgence, Southern Tier, Old First Ward or Belt Line Breweries? Hofbrau Haus? Maybe a live band at Canalside?

Yes! If you're going to put it in the city, then you have to showcase what the city has to offer.  Not just a generic urban stadium with a bunch of corporatized crap around it.  Put it in the city, but save space for the tailgaters and find a way to showcase that experience as well. It shouldn't be one or the other. 

I loved tailgating when I was younger, but as you get older you get to a point where you don't want to do that every week.  Would be nice to have an option to grab a quick beer and some wings before walking over to the stadium.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How about Pearl Street Brewing? Buffalo Riverworks? John Labatt House? Flying Boston, Resurgence, Southern Tier, Old First Ward or Belt Line Breweries? Hofbrau Haus? Maybe a live band at Canalside?

Those sound like things an out-of-towner would want to do. Who wants to throw a football around inside Pearl Street Brewing? Or watch Kenny get blasted with ketchup outside Southern Tier?

Just my opinion.

I don’t know how tailgating would work at all downtown. There’s no space.

Edited by Einstein
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.