AP exclusive: Bills propose new 60k seat stadium by (update - 2025)

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I hate the blue end zones lol I’d love to see red back. Something about the outline in the writing of the blue looks terrible to me.

It would look better if there weren’t an additional white outline outside of the red. Just abut the red to the blue, I’d suggest by filling that white outline to red to make the red outline thicker. Instant improvement.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Very. I don't think they've decided yet. This has been a terrible weather season for home games. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a dome. It's going to come down to how much money they can get.

$500 million over 30 years plus maintenance is a lot of extra money to come up with. I understand that. We'll see what happens. 

I don't think there's any chance a dome is built now. The current season has no effect on the decision. Local gov seemed to be pushing for it, but didn't want to foot the bill. Pegulas want open air in Orchard Park and that's what's happening. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Very. I don't think they've decided yet. This has been a terrible weather season for home games. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a dome. It's going to come down to how much money they can get.

$500 million over 30 years plus maintenance is a lot of extra money to come up with. I understand that. We'll see what happens. 

It's not going to be a dome...that would add a minimum of 500 million to the cost. Not happening.

45 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It's not going to be a dome...that would add a minimum of 500 million to the cost. Not happening.

I said exactly that. Depends on if they get the funding. Also would they be able to make back some of that $500 million over 30 years with other events. 

47 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't think there's any chance a dome is built now. The current season has no effect on the decision. Local gov seemed to be pushing for it, but didn't want to foot the bill. Pegulas want open air in Orchard Park and that's what's happening. 

A lot can change. I mean the current stadium was going to be a dome in a different location until it wasn't. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

A lot can change. I mean the current stadium was going to be a dome in a different location until it wasn't. 

I feel like we've been through all the changes and rumors already. The timeline they set to get this figured out was before the new year. This is happening now.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

I'm not blown away by those designs, but note that the slight rotation of the field reflects a different approach to wind patterns.

The stadium lower bowl will be built from the ground up, not underneath ground like the current stadium that the wind swirls in because of that. The wind shouldn’t be near the factor.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Also would they be able to make back some of that $500 million over 30 years with other events

Doubtful

5 hours ago, Beast said:

The stadium lower bowl will be built from the ground up, not underneath ground like the current stadium that the wind swirls in because of that. The wind shouldn’t be near the factor.

Maybe you can build the stadium different to lessen the wind affects.......but in OP, outside, the wind will still be a factor

57 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Doubtful

Maybe you can build the stadium different to lessen the wind affects.......but in OP, outside, the wind will still be a factor

The wind effects, especially the swirling unpredictable wind is from the stadium being the only one in the league with only one tunnel entrance. All the others have two, which acts to balance bout the wind instead of creating a vortex that causes swirling winds

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

But still, the Pegulas have said that Seattle's stadium is the inspiration. I'm sure people will be disappointed with that, too.

Why would they be disappointed?  Seattle’s stadium is protective for the fans and is regarded as a very hostile environment for the opponent.  Sounds perfect to me.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Am I reading something wrong?

https://esd.ny.gov/sites/default/files/news-articles/ESD-Bills-Stadium-Analysis-Summary-FINAL-11-1-21.pdf

Because on page 9 of this report it states that the cost of building an open air stadium in OP is $1.463 billion but a domed stadium is only $1.652 billion.

Where are people getting the amount where it says it will cost and extra $500 million.   According to this study the price is $189 million extra for a domed stadium which amounts to an additional 13% over the cost of a non-domed stadium.

Which brings up the question - You can pay a quarterback $250 million for 6 years of service but you aren't willing to pay $189 million for multiple decades of stadium enhancements?

Edited by PolishDave
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

https://esd.ny.gov/sites/default/files/news-articles/ESD-Bills-Stadium-Analysis-Summary-FINAL-11-1-21.pdf

Because on page 9 of this report it states that the cost of building an open air stadium in OP is $1.463 billion but a domed stadium is only $1.652 billion.

Where are people getting the amount where it says it will cost and extra $500 million.   According to this study the price is $189 million extra for a domed stadium which amounts to an additional 13% over the cost of a non-domed stadium.

Which brings up the question - You can pay a quarterback $250 million for 6 years of service but you aren't willing to pay $189 million for multiple decades of stadium enhancements?

Yeah and it seems to be a trend that home field advantage isn't such an advantage anymore.

Home teams are pretty close to .500 this season.

So if the better team wins regardless more often or not......the idea of building for your unique home weather circumstance seems counterintuitive when you have 8-9 regular season road games every year that are all fair game as well.

Not putting a dome on the stadium just makes it a less attractive place to play.............which increases the chance that you aren't fielding the better team.

• Like (+1) 1

The weather has not been an advantage for Buffalo for many years now... long before McDermott and Allen got here.

I can't even imagine how nice it must be to attend a late fall or winter game in Detroit, Indy or Minneapolis and not be soaking wet, frozen to the bone, snow covered or wind burned.  If they can't afford a retractable roof, then just put a permanent dome on the new stadium.  I can't believe the visionaries of this new stadium don't see the benefits for fans, players, free agents, etc..  but also how it could be used 100 times a year instead of 10-15 times.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PolishDave said:

That roof ain’t gonna throw TDs. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, beebe said:

Not really. The next games are selling for similar price. As low as $14 for Falcons and as low as $15 for Jets game. The home schedule did ticket prices no favors but Bills tickets are routinely far lower than other playoff caliber teams, including small market teams like KC, Indy, GB, NO. 

Titans hosting Dolphins next week, cheapest seat in the house is currently $130 after fees. 

Right… weather related.

Its still December.

5 hours ago, PolishDave said:

You ever think pegula wants open air football? 

The bills are 11-1 at the Ralph in the playoffs..  in not ideal conditions. 

Their record indicates it's an advantage

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

The weather has not been an advantage for Buffalo for many years now... long before McDermott and Allen got here.

I can't even imagine how nice it must be to attend a late fall or winter game in Detroit, Indy or Minneapolis and not be soaking wet, frozen to the bone, snow covered or wind burned.  If they can't afford a retractable roof, then just put a permanent dome on the new stadium.  I can't believe the visionaries of this new stadium don't see the benefits for fans, players, free agents, etc..  but also how it could be used 100 times a year instead of 10-15 times.  

There is no data that shows that a football stadium will be used 100 times a year

Football stadiums are massive.. there are not many stadium concerts and tours going around 

Even Jerry world.. biggest Palace in the world

Only as eight scheduled events for 2022

A dome stadium in Buffalo is not going to have a lot of events.. there's not a lot of stadium events going on

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

From a governmental/political viewpoint, if they are going to bother with a new stadium at all, they should probably do two things: put a roof on it so it can generate revenue for the area year round doing many things other than football, and 2) it should be in downtown Buffalo and not out in the middle of a parking lot in Orchard Park or any other suburban location.

It will have an enormous trickle effect to the surrounding area, especially if they build it down near the current hockey arena.   The whole area could really be built up into a thriving destination and revenue builder for the area.

If they aren't going to put a roof on it and build it downtown, don't build a new stadium at all.

We already have a "normal football stadium" without a roof out in the middle of nowhere.  Don't need to replace it with a new one, just so Pegula can make himself a bit more rich via a stadium with better revenue generating features.

If that's what he wants, let him build his own stadium with his own money.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

From a governmental/political viewpoint, if they are going to bother with a new stadium at all, they should probably do two things: put a roof on it so it can generate revenue for the area year round doing many things other than football, and 2) it should be in downtown Buffalo and not out in the middle of a parking lot in Orchard Park or any other suburban location.

It will have an enormous trickle effect to the surrounding area, especially if they build it down near the current hockey arena.   The whole area could really be built up into a thriving destination and revenue builder for the area.

If they aren't going to put a roof on it and build it downtown, don't build a new stadium at all.

We already have a "normal football stadium" without a roof out in the middle of nowhere.  Don't need to replace it with a new, just so Pegula can making himself a bit more rich with better revenue generating features.

If that's what he wants, let him build his own stadium with his own money.

Everybody keeps saying that.. every study they have done.. every stadium study done has said that's not the case

The final stadium study they did.. said the economic impact on the region would be equal to getting a new Target

That's your economic Renaissance that the downtown stadium is going to bring.. the same impact as a new Target

People need to realize football stadiums don't bring the massive changes they think

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Stadiums now are not the stadiums of old built around surface parking lots and expressways. This isn't the 1970s. Green Bay, Cincinnati, St Louis, Dallas, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Seattle, Atlanta, Pittsburgh etc have all had had success doing this. They're a catalyst for additional development. Housing, office space, bars, retail. If the stadium is built for 10 games a year and tailgating then it's a horrendously dated business model. Cheap and nasty.

Edited by red hots

4 minutes ago, cba fan said:

not in Allen era. Weather was ok for the two wins.

Kelly era team could run. Allen era can't

It's a pretty easy fix considering you're not going to win a super bowl without a running game anyways

Fix the offense line, run game will improve

And then Josh Allen will not be able to get contained in any weather

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Disagree 1

On 12/24/2021 at 12:06 PM, WotAGuy said:

That roof ain’t gonna throw TDs. 

lol correct.

But Allen throwing in climate controlled dome will throw many more than outside.

Did you not see Allen's long throws to deep open WR's take off sideways in the wind last year in Buffalo? vs Ravens Cost Bills two TD's.

And the est for roof is 300 mill or about 5 to 7 mill a year prorated. Will more than pay for itself in increased tix sales alone. Not to mention it will lead to more wins causing increased ticket demand also.

Edited by cba fan

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

lol correct.

But Allen throwing in climate controlled dome will throw many more than outside.

Did you not see Allen's long throws to deep open WR's take off sideways in the wind last year in Buffalo? Cost Bills two TD's.

And the est for roof is 300 mill or about 5 to 7 mill a year prorated. Will more than pay for itself in increased tix sales alone. Not to mention it will lead to more wins causing increased ticket demand also.

I know a bunch of guys that will put a roof on the sucker for 10% of that. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, cba fan said:

lol correct.

Did you not see Allen's long throws to deep open WR's take off sideways in the wind last year in Buffalo? Cost Bills two TD's.

Terry Pegula wants outside football. Someone has to convince him.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 12/23/2021 at 7:07 AM, Since1981 said:

—Seating count does not matter to the team profitability, given tv contract. Vs 1972

—weather impacts enthusiasm. 
—Good owners rather see a lower cost but better built and full 63k vs 80k open seats crap hole. 

—Stand. Let’s go seatless!! Bahahaha. 

I actually think there should be a standing room only area. 

On 12/23/2021 at 3:48 PM, Virgil said:

I'm curious as to what that area is behind the Bills bench?  Are they trying to make a luxury seat area like they do at Yankee stadium and charge a bunch of money?  Also, I don't like the 4 tiers of seating. 

I'm curious to know what that open concept over the endzone would do for the wind. 

I can't say I'm a fan and don't see anything that makes it a huge improvement over what we have

But what we have is starting to crumble and actually sheer off in certain areas. C'mon. The Ralph needs to go. 

14 hours ago, cba fan said:

lol correct.

Yup, tickets, parking and concessions.  And while it probably won't be used a whole lot more during the off-season (I was surprised to learn that Jerry World is only used about 7-8 times/year outside of Cowboys games, even pre-pandemic), it can still be used.  The whole notion of "football has traditionally been played..." is archaic.  Football also used to be played in barebones stadiums.  Now they're doing everything to make it more enjoyable/comfortable for fans.  And no one is not going to go to games because there will now be a roof, while more people certainly would be willing to go if there is one.

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Terry Pegula wants outside football. Someone has to convince him.

The fans are the ones who voted for no roof.  Someone has to convince them and then have another poll done.

35 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup, tickets, parking and concessions.  And while it probably won't be used a whole lot more during the off-season (I was surprised to learn that Jerry World is only used about 7-8 times/year outside of Cowboys games, even pre-pandemic), it can still be used.  The whole notion of "football has traditionally been played..." is archaic.  Football also used to be played in barebones stadiums.  Now they're doing everything to make it more enjoyable/comfortable for fans.  And no one is not going to go to games because there will now be a roof, while more people certainly would be willing to go if there is one.

The fans are the ones who voted for no roof.  Someone has to convince them and then have another poll done.

Fans also don't want a new stadium. Bills fans would only complain about losing tailgating.

Fans are the last people I would ask. Fans are coming to games no matter what. I would survey every NFL player. Product on the field is all that matters. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

24 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Fans also don't want a new stadium. Bills fans would only complain about losing tailgating.

Fans are the last people I would ask. Fans are coming to games no matter what. I would survey every NFL player. Product on the field is all that matters.

No one outside of the NFL owners really wants a new stadium.  It's a matter of need because the old one is crumbling.

But I agree, they shouldn't have restricted it just to the fans. 

• Like (+1) 1

*surveying NFL PLAYERS and STAFFS on dome (vs BUF wind). With the proper survey questions—-critical insights for 50 yrs of labor and capital ROI…”As a TE….” (You can see how FA, Pro Bowl, etc answers)

Pegula Firm’s largest infrastructure expenditure ever—-wouldn’t it be smart to learn what NFL thinks? 

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Even if all sides heartily agreed and funded a downtown stadium, it would never be built.

The environmentalists will find some kind of endangered moth--and we must not destroy it's habitat. They will also poke at the environmental impact studies.

The preservationists will cling to some dumpy building--and file court papers to save it from demolition (Great Northern elevator ring a bell?).

Human remains will be found and it will turn out to be a sacred burial ground--of course, all construction must cease.

Buffalo is retrograde and can't have nice things. This is a town that couldn't even come to agreement on a desperately needed Peace Bridge replacement.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.