AP exclusive: Bills propose new 60k seat stadium by (update - 2025)

YoloinOhio

Are people surprised that the tickets are $15 in December/Jan?  Some people love the elements.  Some people love “old school football”.  Some people love to be freezing cold and wet.  Just not enough to fill the open aired stadium in upstate NY.  

lots of folks would rather sit in a climate controlled atmosphere and enjoy some great football, devoid of being freezing cold and wet.  

11 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

No dome is a huge mistake.  What are they thinking!!

Cost to build. 

agreed.  It’s a big mistake.  Wutevs, I’ll be staying in Vegas for the foreseeable future.

If they build a dome I won’t be able to complain about how stupid they are for not building a dome while I watch a team throw the ball 3 times in a game and beat us.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Are people surprised that the tickets are $15 in December/Jan?  Some people love the elements.  Some people love “old school football”.  Some people love to be freezing cold and wet.  Just not enough to fill the open aired stadium in upstate NY.  

lots of folks would rather sit in a climate controlled atmosphere and enjoy some great football, devoid of being freezing cold and wet.  

There are still 60k plus Willing to brave the elements and somewhere in the 60k is where the number is said to be  

Ralph used to pack in 80k .. it was a huge stadium

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

There are still 60k plus Willing to brave the elements and somewhere in the 60k is where the number is said to be  

Ralph used to pack in 80k .. it was a huge stadium

Yup.  They used to.  

There sure are 60k willing to brave the elements once you drop the ticket prices to $8-15

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yup.  They used to.  

There sure are 60k willing to brave the elements once you drop the ticket prices to $8-15

There's usually 40 50,000 season ticket holders

And lots of them don't miss games

The bills are not desperate to sell 50,000 tickets in December 

It's usually in the thousands 

Attendance isn't a problem with the Buffalo Bills and it really never has been

Edited by Buffalo716

22 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I didn’t say attendance was an issue.  The resale ticket prices reflect how excited the non season ticket holders are to attend.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I didn’t say attendance was an issue.  The resale ticket prices reflect how excited the non season ticket holders are to attend.

I think they're still planning on keeping tickets as cheap as possible. They'll be more expensive, but still not as crazy as big market stadiums.

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Again you are leaning on old data to make your argument.

When the price of tickets triples........that changes.

Every account in our group has at least one "extra" ticket.......we will likely all keep our own seats for seniority purposes........but in total about 40% of our season tickets will likely get turned in when they go from $1400 to $4000 each.

This would seem to be a recurring theme around us in the lower bowl as well.   

55 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yup.  They used to.  

It’s somewhat shocking how much the football world/experience has changed since 1973. In those days, there was no Sunday Ticket. There was no ESPN. We didn’t have GIANT Hi-Def flatscreens in every room. I would wait for Monday Night Football to to see the highlights from other games around the league. 

The world changes around us, and we need to be able to adapt. We went from 80,020 seats to a goal of about 60k. The home experience is unbelievable compared to what it was when The Ralph opened. The stadium experience needs to improve to compete. I’m actually fine with an open or domed stadium as long as they stay in WNY. But I’ll be honest, I’m FAR less likely to make the effort to travel to a winter game in an open stadium. It doesn’t mean I’m less of a fan, it just means I have great options without facing the threat of freezing my arse off. 

EDIT: I’d be VERY curious to know what percentage of league income comes from actual attendance (tickets, concessions, parking, etc.) vs TV rights and other revenue streams. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I understand that. In a non football City that might be an issue 

And the bills do sell the majority of their tickets like 96%.. so they really don't care about the resale market because they are getting sold originally 

If they weren't getting sold I would think it's an issue 

I have to think in a new stadium tickets will be hard to come by

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Again you are leaning on old data to make your argument.

When the price of tickets triples........that changes.

Every account in our group has at least one "extra" ticket.......we will likely all keep our own seats for seniority purposes........but in total about 40% of our season tickets will likely get turned in when they go from $1400 to $4000 each.

This would seem to be a recurring theme around us in the lower bowl as well.   

I fully understand what you're saying badol. 

I've been in situations like that over the years

But for every one of us that steps down.. there is someone to replace us

It's not going to be hard for us to fill a 65,000 seat stadium

Edited by Buffalo716

18 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

When prices are mostly static with modest increases as they have been for decades?   Sure.

When they increase by thousands per ticket to pay for a new stadium?   C'mon bro. 

My point is that the Bills lack of advancing to a modern pricing model(because of their modest/basic facilities) has lead to a false read on the veracity of ticket buyers because they've remained cheap enough for existing season ticket holders to just keep adding extra's.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When prices are mostly static with modest increases as they have been for decades?   Sure.

When they increase by thousands per ticket to pay for a new stadium?   C'mon bro. 

My point is that the Bills lack of advancing to a modern pricing model(because of their modest/basic facilities) has lead to a false read on the veracity of ticket buyers because they've remained cheap enough for existing season ticket holders to just keep adding extra's.

If I was paying $1,200 for a ticket... Let's see if the new ticket goes to 3500

And realistically I've never bought tickets to sell them and make money, I go to every Game  

And keeping the bills in Buffalo with a new stadium was always going to increase prices

Edited by Buffalo716

On 8/31/2021 at 12:52 PM, mjd1001 said:

Agreed.  I wanted it downtown, but oh well.  Once this thing is starting to get built, most people will get more excited about it.  Just make sure its nice and it at least comes close to justifying its price tag.

No matter what it's in Buffalo so there will be many complaints of just how they could have built it better that just goes with the territory !! 

It's just like those fans that are calling for McD & Beanes head because the team isn't playing as well as they did last year despite them going to the play offs for the last 3 yrs & not making before that for what 17 yrs.

Bills fans are never completely happy there will always be those that are B**CHIN ...

31 minutes ago, Augie said:

It’s somewhat shocking how much the football world/experience has changed since 1973. In those days, there was no Sunday Ticket. There was no ESPN. We didn’t have GIANT Hi-Def flatscreens in every room. I would wait for Monday Night Football to to see the highlights from other games around the league. 

The world changes around us, and we need to be able to adapt. We went from 80,020 seats to a goal of about 60k. The home experience is unbelievable compared to what it was when The Ralph opened. The stadium experience needs to improve to compete. I’m actually fine with an open or domed stadium as long as they stay in WNY. But I’ll be honest, I’m FAR less likely to make the effort to travel to a winter game in an open stadium. It doesn’t mean I’m less of a fan, it just means I have great options without facing the threat of freezing my arse off. 

EDIT: I’d be VERY curious to know what percentage of league income comes from actual attendance (tickets, concessions, parking, etc.) vs TV rights and other revenue streams. 

Yet we still have fans that love want to pretend that it’s 1975.  Some think that it’s manly to play in the cold and the elements. Some want to bring back the replay rules of the 70’s when there wasn’t any technology that could actually help the league be more efficient with their ridiculous penalties.  While we watch the game in 4k and can see everything. 🙄 

I’ll be sure to bring my club and drag my wife by her hair next time I attend.  So I can fit in with the manliest of men!  

36 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I understand that. In a non football City that might be an issue 

And the bills do sell the majority of their tickets like 96%.. so they really don't care about the resale market because they are getting sold originally 

If they weren't getting sold I would think it's an issue 

I have to think in a new stadium tickets will be hard to come by

I think it just shows that people would much rather sit nice conditions rather than a potential blizzard.  Or even just some rain.    

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yet we still have fans that love want to pretend that it’s 1975.  Some think that it’s manly to play in the cold and the elements. Some want to bring back the replay rules of the 70’s when there wasn’t any technology that could actually help the league be more efficient with their ridiculous penalties.  While we watch the game in 4k and can see everything. 🙄 

I’ll be sure to bring my club and drag my wife by her hair next time I attend.  So I can fit in with the manliest of men!  

I think it just shows that people would much rather sit nice conditions rather than a potential blizzard.  Or even just some rain.    

Not to go TOO far afield here, but it’s the technology AND the social media. I just watched on IG  Mike Evans right arm garb Levi Wallace and tackle him when he realized the ball was uncatchable…..resulting in a penalty on Wallace, of course. I’ll never leave my Bills in my heart, but I could become far less interested in the NFL in general if they don’t start to fix the problem.

Full time refs who are 100% invested in what they do and are afraid to lose their jobs would be a good start. The players aren’t driving trucks and working at Jiffy Lubes in the offseason. This should be a full time gig, for EVERYONE! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Not to go TOO far afield here, but it’s the technology AND the social media. I just watched on IG  Mike Evans right arm garb Levi Wallace and tackle him when he realized the ball was uncatchable…..resulting in a penalty on Wallace, of course. I’ll never leave my Bills in my heart, but I could become far less interested in the NFL in general if they don’t start to fix the problem.

Full time refs who are 100% invested in what they do and are afraid to lose their jobs would be a good start. The players aren’t driving trucks and working at Jiffy Lubes in the offseason. This should be a full time gig, for EVERYONE! 

remember in the 60's they did? The NFL/AFL battle teams offered players jobs in the offseason to sign with them...

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

remember in the 60's they did? The NFL/AFL battle teams offered players jobs in the offseason to sign with them...

You mean like Dan Marino getting in on IPO’s to be happy with the Dolphins……reportedly?  😋

What salary cap? 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

If I was paying $1,200 for a ticket... Let's see if the new ticket goes to 3500

And realistically I've never bought tickets to sell them and make money, I go to every Game  

And keeping the bills in Buffalo with a new stadium was always going to increase prices

I fully expect my $1000 / seat tickets in 109 to at least double with probably a $2500ish seat license. 

8 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Extremely disappointing.

I know NY is a more expensive state for just about everything, but comparing what we'd get for $1.4 billion to what others got for similar (or much less) is just sad. Even adjusted for inflation, it's a huge downer 😓

Saddest part of all is by location alone, it all but guarantees virtually zero potential benefit to the region & surrounding areas. It's pretty well known that these NFL stadiums yield a net-negative for the taxpayer in isolation, as the money reaped from them primarily goes to owner. 

However, they can be a catalyst for economic growth overall, as everything from infrastructure & public projects to small & large businesses emerge around it. Those in turn help spur more development, more growth & bring in additional revenue, not directly tied to the stadium or team itself.

And no roof/dome... just a cost-saving measure for sure, but ultimately disappointing. Diehards will rejoice, but countless other fans (and more importantly - majority of players) will not be thrilled. I enjoy watching snow games & awful weather as much as the next guy, but only when 1) I'm watching from home & 2) it's not my team playing.

Tired of watching games not come down to pure skill, but to an excess of random elements. Sure, skill is still involved, but it almost always favors the less talented team by making games sloppy & more about chance. There's an exception to every rule, anecdotal evidence to provide contrary points, & examples to give that show "yes, good teams can persevere & overcome bad weather!" But after decades of watching these things, it's pretty obvious poor weather leads to more mistakes & more random elements.

Josh Allen will be our QB for the next decade barring injury, I'd sure love to see him have a guaranteed 8 home games slinging it with full comfort & control.

The random elements have always been part of the game and any game that has ever been played boils down to execution.  Period.  The Bills had multiple drives into the red zone against New England.   They scored 1 TD.  That ain’t have a thing to do with the weather.  Weather wasn’t bad enough to keep them from getting down there.

Full comfort and control is a red herring.  How do you explain 6 points in Jacksonville?  3 points in Tampa after one half?  Perfect weather didn’t help did it?  The Colts beat their tails.  Played in the same elements.  The Colts executed better.  

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Cost to build. 

agreed.  It’s a big mistake.  Wutevs, I’ll be staying in Vegas for the foreseeable future.

If they build a dome I won’t be able to complain about how stupid they are for not building a dome while I watch a team throw the ball 3 times in a game and beat us.  

More people show up than don’t.  Many more people actually.  If folks don’t like the elements I get it.  Nothing wrong with them watching from home.  But let’s not act like it’s a majority of fans.  It’s not.   Stadium is mostly full even in bad weather.  If the Bills get bad then late season attendance would be a different story. 

Bills didn’t lose because of the Patriots game plan.  D gave up 14 points.  Offense didn’t execute in the red zone on multiple occasions.  If the offense pulled their weight they win easily.

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

@purple haze doesn't see a problem with tickets that sell for 10 cents on the dollar late in the season with 3 home games left on the schedule in a season where the team leads the NFL in point differential and is a likely playoff team.

If they lose this week and are only all-but-promised a lousy wild card berth(:rolleyes:).......could be looking at sub 50K actual attendees next week and less than that the week after when the people visiting family in town have left.

But keep polling fans in spring and summer about whether they want a lid on the stadium or not..........but make sure they have to tell you if they attend all the late season games in their response.😉 

No, I don’t see an issue.  Many tickets have been sold from the team to ticket brokers at full price already.  PS&E made their money.  What people pay a ticket broker on a he secondary market is irrelevant in that case.  You say under 50,000?  Maybe.  But that hasn’t happened.   

You disagree with me.  That’s fine.   The proof is in the building that was proposed.  No roof.  PS&E did studies, surveys, etc.  The people who own the business don’t seem overly concerned about what you’re talking about either. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

The random elements have always been part of the game and any game that has ever been played boils down to execution.  Period.  The Bills had multiple drives into the red zone against New England.   They scored 1 TD.  That ain’t have a thing to do with the weather.  Weather wasn’t bad enough to keep them from getting down there.

Full comfort and control is a red herring.  How do you explain 6 points in Jacksonville?  3 points in Tampa after one half?  Perfect weather didn’t help did it?  The Colts beat their tails.  Played in the same elements.  The Colts executed better.  

Like I said, there's always exceptions & examples to the contrary. Poor play is poor play. But to argue bad elements don't negatively impact skill positions, make games sloppier, or favor the worse teams is disingenuous at best. All the evidence proves this.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

More people show up than don’t.  Many more people actually.  If folks don’t like the elements I get it.  Nothing wrong with them watching from home.  But let’s not act like it’s a majority of fans.  It’s not.   Stadium is mostly full even in bad weather.  If the Bills get bad then late season attendance would be a different story. 

Bills didn’t lose because of the Patriots game plan.  D gave up 14 points.  Offense didn’t execute in the red zone on multiple occasions.  If the offense pulled their weight they win easily.

More people show up than don’t?  Wth…. What does this even mean?  Of course more people show up than don’t. 

I never said there was an attendance problem…..not sure what else you’re trying to imply.  

now onto your second paragraph…..uhhhhh what does this even mean part 2?  You quoted my post and wrote that. What do they have to do with each other or were you just making a different unattached statement there?   The weather caused a team to throw the ball 3 times.  I never mentioned anything about why we lost, just that we lost. 

41 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Like I said, there's always exceptions & examples to the contrary. Poor play is poor play. But to argue bad elements don't negatively impact skill positions, make games sloppier, or favor the worse teams is disingenuous at best. All the evidence proves this.

Bingo

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, beebe said:

Bills tickets were selling as low as $8 to last week's game, and a few for less than that an hour before kickoff, on the resale market. I think downsizing the capacity to 60k makes a bunch of sense.

That’s weather related, not capacity related.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If they lose this week and are only all-but-promised a lousy wild card berth(:rolleyes:).......could be looking at sub 50K actual attendees next week and less than that the week after when the people visiting family in town have left.

Lol what?

In 2018 the Bills were 5-10 heading into a meaningless January season finale against the equally bad Dolphins and there were still 67,420 people in attendance.

The chances of a game this season being sub 50k is somewhere between slim and none.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

More people show up than don’t?  Wth…. What does this even mean?  Of course more people show up than don’t. 

I never said there was an attendance problem…..not sure what else you’re trying to imply.  

now onto your second paragraph…..uhhhhh what does this even mean part 2?  You quoted my post and wrote that. What do they have to do with each other or were you just making a different unattached statement there?   The weather caused a team to throw the ball 3 times.  I never mentioned anything about why we lost, just that we lost. 

Bingo

I’m saying the weather issue is an issue for fewer people than social media makes it seem.  

Part 2 was just an observation meant for those who cite lack of ideal weather conditions for the Bills not functioning properly.  

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Sure the weather can impact parts of the game.  The team that executes best under the circumstances will win just as they would under “perfect” conditions.  Weather doesn’t favor either team.   The weather is the same for both.  Go win the game.

6 hours ago, purple haze said:

I’m saying the weather issue is an issue for fewer people than social media makes it seem.  

Part 2 was just an observation meant for those who cite lack of ideal weather conditions for the Bills not functioning properly.  

Put down the fatties

8 hours ago, BigDingus said:

let's see the evidence.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

Lol what?

In 2018 the Bills were 5-10 heading into a meaningless January season finale against the equally bad Dolphins and there were still 67,420 people in attendance.

The chances of a game this season being sub 50k is somewhere between slim and none.

Were you at the game Sunday?

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Were you at the game Sunday?

E8141-F34-93-B2-4-AC7-B72-B-93-E19-ABFA2

There were over 65k in attendance.

2 hours ago, Since1981 said:

These are linked my friend. There is a diehard 50k. I’d argue you could fill 90k Sept 6 but never 90k Jan 6. 

Weather and capacity are not linked.

Capacity is the number of people you can fit in a stadium. Weather is the state of the atmosphere at a place and time in regards heat, dryness, sunshine… etc.

Weather changes. Capacity doesn’t. 

Therefore, if weather is the only (or primary) reason why the Bills can put 90k butts in seats in September, but not December, then it doesn’t make sense to reduce capacity. What makes sense it to mitigate the weather by adding a roof.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

let's see the evidence.

Teams that play in domed or retractable roof stadiums:  New Orleans, Las Vegas, Detroit, Minnesota. Los Angeles, Atlanta, Dallas,  Houston, Indianapolis and Arizona.   Most are in warm climates.  The evidence is bad teams are bad no matter where they play.  Converse is true.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Teams that play in domed or retractable roof stadiums:  New Orleans, Las Vegas, Detroit, Minnesota. Los Angeles, Atlanta, Dallas,  Houston, Indianapolis and Arizona.   Most are in warm climates.  The evidence is bad teams are bad no matter where they play.  Converse is true.  

Not a lot of Lombardies in the lobby trophy cases of those towns.

In fact, in the past 25 years, the SB has been won only 8 times by teams who play in warm weather or a dome.  The other 17 years are NE (6), Pittsburgh (2), KC, Broncos (3), Giants (2), GB (2),  Philly----all outdoors and all towns where they certainly may be playing home games in the snow in November/December.

36 minutes ago, Einstein said:

E8141-F34-93-B2-4-AC7-B72-B-93-E19-ABFA2

There were over 65k in attendance.

As I thought.........you clearly weren't there.

It was far from 65K in actual attendance.    

The amount of tickets sold(in a year the team was expected to go to the SB by fans) and the ACTUAL attendance on game day are two different things.

Additionally.........there were tons of free-loaders there......as I said the people to my right and in front of me were just there because they had gotten the tickets for free or very cheap(tickets were as low as $8 online and going unsold).

And even then there were dozens of empty seats right in my section which are great seats near the 50 in the lower bowl.   

Late season attendance is an issue.    Always has been and always will be going forward if they insist on an outdoor facility.

The reality is that people don't want to sit out in the cold and especially when they have to drive an hour or 3 to get to the stadium in the first place.........which is common because the Bills are a very "regional" franchise.

Doesn't affect me personally I tailgate out in the elements either way and I'm on site for 10 hours every game and love it.........but as someone who has had to get people to show up to late season games to use up our extra season tickets(for the better part of 30 years now) I know more than some schmo who just lives the Bills experience online.

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not a lot of Lombardies in the lobby trophy cases of those towns.

In fact, in the past 25 years, the SB has been won only 8 times by teams who play in warm weather or a dome.  The other 17 years are NE (6), Pittsburgh (2), KC, Broncos (3), Giants (2), GB (2),  Philly----all outdoors and all towns where they certainly may be playing home games in the snow in November/December.

My previous post on the topic points this out.  Football champs have been primarily cold weather teams in the last 25 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As I thought.........you clearly weren't there.

It was far from 65K in actual attendance.    

The amount of tickets sold(in a year the team was expected to go to the SB by fans) and the ACTUAL attendance on game day are two different things.

Additionally.........there were tons of free-loaders there......as I said the people to my right and in front of me were just there because they had gotten the tickets for free or very cheap(tickets were as low as $8 online and going unsold).

And even then there were dozens of empty seats right in my section which are great seats near the 50 in the lower bowl.   

Late season attendance is an issue.    Always has been and always will be going forward if they insist on an outdoor facility.

The reality is that people don't want to sit out in the cold and especially when they have to drive an hour or 3 to get to the stadium in the first place.........which is common because the Bills are a very "regional" franchise.

Doesn't affect me personally I tailgate out in the elements either way and I'm on site for 10 hours every game and love it.........but as someone who has had to get people to show up to late season games to use up our extra season tickets(for the better part of 30 years now) I know more than some schmo who just lives the Bills experience online.

Check out this classic clip from a Bills game in Dec of 1977. Talk about empty seats. Granted that team sucked but the place looked like a ghost town.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Check out this classic clip from a Bills game in Dec of 1977. Talk about empty seats. Granted that team sucked but the place looked like a ghost town.

Went to this game with my brother and a couple friends from school.   I was 17 and the older guys in our section bought beer for us.  Made a crappy game tolerable.  Several of my favorite players were  on the field.  Bob Chandler and Roland Hooks.  Ferguson was brutal.  

1 minute ago, Nitro said:

Went to this game with my brother and a couple friends from school.   I was 17 and the older guys in our section bought beer for us.  Made a crappy game tolerable.  Several of my favorite players were  on the field.  Bob Chandler and Roland Hooks.  Ferguson was brutal.  

I was a kid but I remember those days. The 70's were brutal at least until Knox got there. Then it started to turn around. I still say if the Bills had beaten the Chargers in the 1980 divisional round they were Super Bowl bound. I think they would have crushed Oakland at home in the AFCCG. That loss to SD was probably my first heartbreaking Bills loss. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.