Win One Before I Die

Shaw66

5 minutes ago, BTB said:

100+ combined years of following the Bills and Sabres, and the “just one before I die” has been my mantra for a while now.  🤞🤞🤞🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Watch your diet, exercise, see your doctor regularly.   That's your only hope with the Sabres. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

24 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don’t recall what I was thinking as I left the stadium after the Bills lost Super Bowl XXV.  The only thing I actually remember is that some guys outside the stadium were selling Giants Super Bowl Champions t-shirts for $25.  There also were some guys selling Bills Super Bowl Champions t-shirts for $5.  I thought about buying one.   I wish I had.

I do remember that as the first few years after that game went by, after three more Super Bowl losses and the beginning of the decline, I assured myself that the Bills had plenty of time in to win a Super Bowl in my lifetime.  After all, I had been waiting since 1969, and sooner or later they’d put together a team and win it all. 

It’s been 30 years since wide right, and that Super Bowl win hasn’t rolled around yet.  In fact, last season was the first time the Bills got close enough to sniff the game, let alone a win.  I’ve gotten older.  I no longer live in the comfortable assuredness that I will see the Bills hoist the Lombardi.  I now understand how good teams have to be to make it to the Super Bowl, and how special they need to be to win it. 

Until 2020, there hadn’t been one season that began with the Bills having other than a Cinderella’s chance of winning a Super Bowl.  Until 2020.  Last season, suddenly and almost unexpectedly, the Bills began winning like a champion wins.  I say “almost unexpectedly” because I did expect it; before the 2019 season began, I had written that these times were coming.  Still, when it happened last season, I wasn’t prepared for it. 

I wasn’t prepared for the Bills to stand pat with their 2020 as roster they headed into 2021.  Sean McDermott told us not to expect changes.  Change has been a way of life for the Bills for 25 years; could 2021 possibly be different?  Yes.  Swap out one veteran wide for another, and that was about it.  No big draft trades.  Just work at getting better. 

I wasn’t prepared to see Bills highlights on broadcast network promos.  I wasn’t prepared to hear talking heads describe the Bills as on of the early favorites to win the Super Bowl. 

I wasn’t prepared to behave like a fan of a good team.  I don’t have to defend my team to anyone.  I feel uncomfortable modestly agreeing when one of my friends mentions how good the Bills look. 

I don’t know how to prepare for the inevitable and unexpected events of the season.  The injuries, the losses, the player disappointments, all of those things visited on every team every season.  Now that I think my team could be a winner, I’m not prepared for those soul-crushing surprises. 

Can the Bills survive the ups and downs of the NFL season and win the Super Bowl?   Yes, they are now in that discussion, legitimately in that discussion.  Will they win it?  Predictions are pointless.  All I know is that now, finally, after 25 more or less hopeless years, after retirement, the birth of grandchildren and the inevitable arrival of old age, the Bills could make good on those assurances I gave myself after the Kelly Super Bowl era ended.

I still want a Bills Super Bowl Champions t-shirt, but I want one after a Bills win. 

About as well-written as that sentiment can be. Thanks, @Shaw66, I'm right there with you. This very well could be THE year!

• Like (+1) 3

Shaw, we’ll get there buddy.  This may be the year.  I arrived in Tampa to live until now 5 days or so before the giants SB.  

Im so confident we are going to go deep this year. I was shocked positively GROOT was going to be this good this soon.  That was one of the missing pieces.  If our main guys like Tre, Edmunds (yeah yeah), and Milano are there in critical times, we will prevail!

7 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Not sure when one officially turns old.  I hit 70 next year.  I'm fairly certain I can no longer argue that's middle age.  Don't let me down, Buffalo Bills.

70 is when I first realized there may not be much time left.  

I'm in the "win one before I die" camp, too.

My biggest Bills loving friend says he wants multiple rings. As many as Brady has, plus one. I think he means it.

Me? Just win me one title before I go. Just one, that's all I need.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I want need one before my dad passes. Hopefully we still have some years ahead of us, but the sooner the better when it comes to the Bills.

My Dad would have loved the Super Bowl years, but he didn't even make it for that.   He'd love what we're seeing now, too. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

Hey, for you old timers the Bills already won a couple back in the AFL days.

For us youngsters we've seen nothing but garbage football until McDermott rolled into town.

Man, '64 '65 was so great!   And four straight Super Bowls, too.  Now it's time to win it. 

• Like (+1) 3

Another great post, Shaw66.  I enjoy pretty much everyone here in our little community, but your writing and insight is by far the number one reason I keep coming back.  I hope these Bills deliver you multiple (legitimate) Super Bowl Champions t-shirts in your golden years.  👍

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Shaw, I agree with you whole heartedly, I have been waiting since 1969 (my 1st year of fandom) as well,

For a Bills Superbowl win.

Last yr. Gave me hope that I might see that before I die . Outside of the hope I had for the Bills success last year , it was way less than stellar year for me as I was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer (which up until a couple of weeks ago, I thought I had beat) plus I had to have triple bypass surgery, just to survive the cancer surgery that was going to cure me. The cancer may be back now, I find out today the results of a biopsy I had last week, so I'm hoping this is the year for the Bills to win it all.

Now I don't lament the life I've had, I traveled, and pretty much was able to do whatever I wanted, albeit I live pretty simply, and wouldn't have it any other way. I have a wonderful wife, 2 beautiful step daughters, 5 grandkids, and a 2 1/2

yr.old great grandson, who I am trying to turn in to a Bills fan. He likes to shout (hey,hey,hey,hey) but won't sit down to watch the game yet.😊

Anyway (I've said more than I wanted to say here) let's hope this is the year the Bills do it. Go Bills

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I think we have one hell of a chance of reaching the Superbowl this year. Get the #1 seed, it is possible. Get Kansas City in Buffalo in our house, full to the brim, in the weather, in January for a place at the Superbowl. I'm convinced we'd have a better than 50/50 chance of beating them in that scenario. No days off this season. Get the #1 seed and the Bills can go to LA. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

70 is when I first realized there may not be much time left.  

Don't you dare go anywhere anytime soon. A dynasty team needs a Rockpile review. Turned 60 today and having a few health issues so these kind of thoughts have also entered my mind now. The Bills fan base is a special one. We have all been through so much together. The never give up, never say die attitude is part of who we are as a fan base. The never say die attitude is on full display by one of our most beloved sports figures. On full display again as Hunters Hope lives on forever.  

Thank you for this heart felt post and all the wonderful posts that you have given us.

• Like (+1) 1

The title of your post REALLY hit me kind of hard. I started my Bills fandom in 1960 when my dad took me to my first football game, which also happened to be the Bills first football game. I had always wished that he would live to see a Bills super bowl win but sometimes things just don't work out. Now that I'm an old fart watching games with my son, he admitted last year that as much as he wanted to witness a Bills super bowl win, he REALLY wanted that win for me. At that point I realized that I had become my father and he had become me. Let's hope things turn out a little bit better this time around. 

• Like (+1) 2

I hope my parents get to see it happen, but it would have to happen soon. And of course I'm in the same camp - I just want to see them win it all, so badly.

I don’t know how to prepare for the inevitable and unexpected events of the season.  The injuries, the losses, the player disappointments, all of those things visited on every team every season.  Now that I think my team could be a winner, I’m not prepared for those soul-crushing surprises. 

This resonates. Going into the first season in who knows how long where we have legitimate super bowl aspirations, I'm not sure how I'll handle potential disappointment. It seems like such a fleeting opportunity (even though our longevity appears good), that it's hard not to get wrapped up in it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, gdabillsfan said:

Shaw, I agree with you whole heartedly, I have been waiting since 1969 (my 1st year of fandom) as well,

For a Bills Superbowl win.

Last yr. Gave me hope that I might see that before I die . Outside of the hope I had for the Bills success last year , it was way less than stellar year for me as I was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer (which up until a couple of weeks ago, I thought I had beat) plus I had to have triple bypass surgery, just to survive the cancer surgery that was going to cure me. The cancer may be back now, I find out today the results of a biopsy I had last week, so I'm hoping this is the year for the Bills to win it all.

Now I don't lament the life I've had, I traveled, and pretty much was able to do whatever I wanted, albeit I live pretty simply, and wouldn't have it any other way. I have a wonderful wife, 2 beautiful step daughters, 5 grandkids, and a 2 1/2

yr.old great grandson, who I am trying to turn in to a Bills fan. He likes to shout (hey,hey,hey,hey) but won't sit down to watch the game yet.😊

Anyway (I've said more than I wanted to say here) let's hope this is the year the Bills do it. Go Bills

I've got my fingers crossed for you!  I was diagnosed with bone cancer in 1988, right at the beginning of our great run, and watching the Bills and being there in Rich Stadium during those years, albeit bald and sickly, definitely helped me make it through a couple of tough years as a kid.  Let this current team be a similar respite for you during this time (should you need it).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1