Bills sign WR Steven Sims

YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, eball said:

Wow, everyone jumping the gun on McKenzie's injury.  The Bills need somebody to return kicks on Saturday.  McKenzie and Stevenson are likely out.  Signing this guy to let him return kicks and get some film on tape says NOTHING about the extent of the injuries to McKenzie and Stevenson.

6 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Is Powell not on this team?  

Is there any indication right now other than Beane is covering all his bases?

He needs a few players for this weekend AND he is hedging in case some of these injuries are longer in recovery AND he gets to look

at more players possibly being on the PS.

Trust Beane and the process is my mantra.

5 minutes ago, BubbaT said:

Sims has rocks for hands. He'd be a huge step backwards as a kick/punt returner

He had 5 fumbles (from what I can tell, they lost 2 of them) last year but has only had 6 drops on 93 career targets. Dawson Knox, for example, has 14 drops on 94 targets.

His return numbers aren't great but it can be hard to tell whether that's a function of the team he's playing on or him.  He can play at receiver though and has had some production at that position and he has a similar skill set to McKenzie so if McKenzie did have to miss a significant amount of time he's a guy they could plug into that role.

TBH, two of the returns we are oohing and aahing over from last week are probably stopped for minimal gain with the regular ST units in the game, it's unusual to be able to cross the field on a return that way and get away with it and Bills returners did it twice once on McKenzie's long return and then again on Stevenson's TD.

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

They would have just kept Lenoir then and had Powell do kick offs.  They signed a guy that is pretty identical to Mckenzie.

I believe that the cuts happened BEFORE the injury. This is more of getting through Saturday's game and possibly seeing what type of options the Bills have for return men depending on the severity of McKenzie's injury is. I think it is really hard to speculate on his injury right now, without official information.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

There's a picture of him sitting in his car/MRI machine posted to the instagrams.

I didn't know Lil Dirty was an inventor too.  What a great idea, an MRI right inside a car so that if you get into an accident you can immediately find out what your injuries are!

• Haha (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, CuseBill said:

I didn't know Lil Dirty was an inventor too.  What a great idea, an MRI right inside a car so that if you get into an accident you can immediately find out what your injuries are!

Brains of the Franchise

33 minutes ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

got to have people to return kicks and punts this weekend. Also replace WR reps for McKenzie/ Stevenson/ Lenoir/ Duke

why not see how the kid looks up close. Good KR  24.6 avg and a TD, only 1 fumble. PR with him is an adventure though, 4 fumbles on PR....

I thought Lenoir looked pretty decent. Stevenson not too bad either and he had a pretty good KR I believe. But Lenoir got my attention a little bit

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would be surprised if any shoulder injury knocked him out for the year

Shoulder injuries can be bad. A shoulder injury ended Tony Boselli's career. Not saying that's the case here, of course, but I wouldn't automatically assume it's minor.

43 minutes ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

The timing of injuries and cut requirements didn't work in OBD favor unfortunately. Short term answer hopefully.

Yeah, never know how things play out, but if at all possible I'd hope Lenoir gets another shot PS or whatever. It is awesome that Bills have this WR depth. I believe other teams are going to grab many players that Bills end up having to release.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

12AFE0DC-E476-43DF-9CE0-6A8600059C4C.jpeg

Had a good rookie campaign in 2019. Also, had some success as a punt returner.

Before we get too enthused about the success as a punt returner, worth noting that he had 5 fumbles in 2020:

3 muffs, one fumble on a return, and one fumble after a pass reception.

So in his 2nd year, 3 muffs and one fumble in 24 punt returns over 12 games.

1 fumble in 32 kick returns in his first year.

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Shoulder injuries can be bad. A shoulder injury ended Tony Boselli's career. Not saying that's the case here, of course, but I wouldn't automatically assume it's minor.

I get your point that a shoulder injury can be serious

McKenzie reported out on the sideline in "good spirits" which doesn't quite sound like "I need surgery for potentially career ending injury"

Course I suppose Boselli might not have realized he had a serious injury right away either.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Right about now someone says that we won't need a punter because we're not going to punt.  Does that also apply to a punt returner?  Can we just force a turnover on every possession? 

No, but we can put a punt catcher back there.

I’m looking at you Chris Watson. 

Edited by WotAGuy

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2021/08/who-is-steven-sims-bills-new-wr-could-play-isaiah-mckenzie-role-in-week-3-of-preseason-5-things-to-know.html

Was having a good camp

Washington has a deep wide receiver room and the numbers game caught up to Sims. It’s possible that he was released early to give him a chance to catch on elsewhere. Sims was reportedly having a good camp this summer and was putting in daily work post-practice.

Steven Sims said he's catching 200 balls a day after practice. Said he feels back to his old self; healthy. makes a big difference. he's having a good camp. Still a tough competition at WR, but with his quickness he can help someone -- here or elsewhere.

Time is not on Sims’ side in terms of making the Bills’ initial 53-man roster, but he could become a priority signing to the team’s practice squad if all goes well in the next few days.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

agreed. If it’s a rotator cuff tear requiring surgery he’s out for the season.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

If that’s the case and not season ending, he’s going to have to take a slot on the 53 and then go to IR. Or, the team can cut him at final cut downs to keep someone like Sims, and then re-sign the next day to put on IR for a return during the season. He’s not subject to waivers.

Agreed.  The Bills will give the new guys (Rico Gafford and Steven Simms) auditions in the game on Saturday>  Auditions will include return work and maybe a few reps as a slot receiver.  Both will probably get cut to reach 53.  Beane will say a prayer that the guy they like best sneaks through waivers so they can put him back on the roster.  Both are true burners.  Gafford is a sub 4.3 guy and Simms is low 4.3s.

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

Agreed.  The Bills will give the new guys (Rico Gafford and Steven Simms) auditions in the game on Saturday>  Auditions will include return work and maybe a few reps as a slot receiver.  Both will probably get cut to reach 53.  Beane will say a prayer that the guy they like best sneaks through waivers so they can put him back on the roster.  Both are true burners.  Gafford is a sub 4.3 guy and Simms is low 4.3s.

Where are you getting that 40 time for Sims? His pro day 40 is 4.56. Not only is he straightline slow, but  he also tested poorly in explosion and agility drills. He’s small too - so UDFA. Thing is, his game tape contradict all of his RAS measurements. Go figure. How does he win? 

Virtually all of his playing time and production in 2019 came in the last 4 games - 34 receptions, 310 yards and 4 tds Annualized those are definitely WR2 numbers. Not saying thats what he is but he’s for sure an interesting and unusual player that I’d look forward to checking out. Sort of unfortunate that if he’s targeted in the passing game the guys throwing him the ball will be QBs 3 and 4 who really aren’t very good imo.

2 hours ago, todd said:

I feel if that was the diagnosis we would probably know by now.  While I don’t think it’s severe, I can see McKenzie missing a few games to start the year 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I’ll always remember people posting concerns about Watkins foot. Almost everyone told them they were foolish, because it was just a minor procedure, and he’d be good to go with no lasting concerns. I’m not saying McKenzie’s injury is a major concern. You just never know how injuries affect a player before you see them back on the field. I’m not fear mongering, rather making the point I agree with you. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Where are you getting that 40 time for Sims? His pro day 40 is 4.56. Not only is he straightline slow, but  he also tested poorly in explosion and agility drills. He’s small too - so UDFA. Thing is, his game tape contradict all of his RAS measurements. Go figure. How does he win? 

Virtually all of his playing time and production in 2019 came in the last 4 games - 34 receptions, 310 yards and 4 tds Annualized those are definitely WR2 numbers. Not saying thats what he is but he’s for sure an interesting and unusual player that I’d look forward to checking out. Sort of unfortunate that if he’s targeted in the passing game the guys throwing him the ball will be QBs 3 and 4 who really aren’t very good imo.

You're right.  I must have been looking at numbers for somebody else.  His size and speed are both pretty comparable to Brandon Powell.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Tony Boselli was also an offensive tackle attempting to stop massive people from killing his QB by using his arms and shoulders.... my guess is McKenzie dislocated his shoulder or suffered a sprain of his AC joint. 

I forgot which former NFL star said it, but he said years ago that what drives a lot of players out of the league are the cumulative shoulder injuries. He basically said it ends a lot of careers. I am in no way suggesting that anything of the sort is going on with MacKenzie; only that the idea that shoulder injuries are essentially minor is false.

17 hours ago, todd said:

Again, MacKenzie may be basically fine soon, but you are right. Indeed, that specific injury ended Plaxico Burress’s career: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1735752-plaxico-burress-torn-rotator-cuff-could-it-really-end-his-career. @ScottLaw, there’s a wide receiver for you. 

To ensure you I’m not being alarmist, I assume MacKenzie’s injury is a lot more minor than that.

• Like (+1) 1

Guys, it could be nothing more than a bone bruise in the capsule.  I’ve had them multiple times among other things.

How about we just slow down and see what happens.  Of course Beane is going to get a body for now in case.  That’s why they keep that $5-7 mil. Most teams do after the last rookie is signed for emergencies.  He could easily get cut in 10 days.  

If you’ve had a severe bone bruise in a joint, it hurts like hell.  They resolve and when the inflammation is down, they are back to work.

Just like many of you fair minded guys say a player is innocent until proven guilty when some lawful infraction comes up, the same applies for injuries.  I’m in the wait and see and not worry about it.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1