Jags Thoughts

corta765

I tuned in last night to see how Lawrence and crew looked and I was dismayed. I like T-Law a lot and think he will join Allen and Mahomes as the kings in the AFC, but their gonna get this kid killed if they can show protection. He can move decently and there is no doubt the potential is there, but their offensive line is as bad as the Bills in 2018. I think their skill players are not bad though. Their offense was also really basic it reminded me of the Jauron days with a lot of 5 yard passes that can break. I am not super well versed in scheme and why teams run certain plays, but with Allen did we intentionally run easier short passes to help or in general is that something teams do or are the Jags the second coming of the 09 Bills dink and dunk nothing attack haha

Anyway just wondering what others thought as the Jags quietly should be one of those teams that challenge and I was happy Lawrence wasn't in our division, but early on (and I know it is early) the Urban experiment doesn't look very good.

• Like (+1) 1

If I recall correctly we didn’t really scale the offense back for Allen. He wasn’t willing to play the short pass game. He lived in the 10-30 yard range and if protection didn’t hold he was running. But we were extremely conservative to keep him in the best game situations as possible. Run, run, pass had some people wanting mcd out of here and questioning if he could coach on gamedays. When in reality they were making a real effort to protect Allen’s confidence and keep him in less situations that he had to make the plays, or not make the play.  If they just unleashed him year one I think it could of been very ugly and likely he does not progress into what he is today. 

This league has seen plenty of “sure thing” quarterbacks fail or not live up to the hype. The situation these guys are put in sometimes outweighs their talent. 

I watched the game last night.  Saints D came after Lawrence early and often and he took some hits.  The Jags have better skill players than the Bills did when Allen was a rookie.  Their Oline looks pretty bad though. 

Meyer looked disgusted at times.  I'm not sure he's gonna be able to endure the growing pains.  He might bail after a couple of seasons imo

Edited by DCbillsfan

Thanks Corta.  I believe the Jags are in dire need of a culture change.  Not sure Urban Meyer is the guy to bring it about given his track record of different standards for players at his college stops.  

Protection schemes, play action and quick hitters are some ways to help Lawrence out.  Etienne and the WRs are talented but it is all for naught if the O line is deficient.  

My read is some of the WR talent will force their way out like Ramsey and some of their D did after 2017 run.  Not a place players want to go sign and play for.  Building through the draft takes time and Meyer has shown he won't hang in tough times.   Lawrence will turn out like  Stafford in Detroit 

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1

Corta, I like you bud, but serious question, is he now called T-Law.  If I’m in the dark, sorry.

he’s a rookie.  He has a college coach. Jac shouldn’t expect a lot at this point.  That doesn’t mean over a couple of years they improve.

I just don’t have an opinion other than they will be maybe 3-14 this year.

I have nothing against the kid and hope he is not Darnolded.  I actually hope except against us Darnold does well just like if we use Mitch this Saturday, he does well.  Sometimes they are a victim of their circumstance.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I watched the game last night.  Saints D came after Lawrence early and often and he took some hits.  They have better skill players than the Bills did when Allen was a rookie.  Their Oline looks pretty bad though. 

Meyer looked disgusted at times.  I'm not sure he's gonna be able to endure the growing pains.  He might bail after a couple of seasons imo

Open kimono—I really dislike Urban since he left Florida.  The way he left just sucked.

I foresee that he will claim a medical issue with his head again in the near future and not complete his contract.  The lift is just too big for him.

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They are the only of the new QB teams I haven't watched a minute of in pre-season. That is the issue for that team - Big name coach, big ticket Quarterback..... but still the Jags and I can't find a reason to care about them. 

Reason:  pre-scouting your future home team.  Not as a rooting interest of course, but just to be conversant.  "old-school" wrt the London Jaguars, if you will.

They wont even have to change the team nickname, and will have a built-in stadium sponsorship deal.  Just that it will suddenly become 3 syllables, instead of 2.  (at least it will erase the mysterious letter "i" that somehow gets in there)

Edited by maddenboy

Aside from watching one on one battles, there isn’t much else to pay attention to in preseason games, at least as far as schemes go. Nobody is scheming for anybody. That said, the Jags should be concerned that their OL is getting whipped like they are and I agree that they need to get Lawrence help ASAP. 

1 minute ago, nucci said:

T-Law?

Ty Law?

• Haha (+1) 1

I wonder for those of you who watched the league pre-expansion do you feel this way about other expansion teams? I have wondered whether my lack of care for the Jags is because they don't have the rich history of many other teams, there are no grainy films of the Jaguars in black and white. I don't feel that way about the Texans but then I kind of see them more as the continuation of the Houston franchise than the Titans but I also don't feel that way about Carolina. It is just Jacksonville. They are just really nothingness to me and I actually know a lot of Jags fans here in London, including a couple who followed them pre-International Series, but I dunno..... they are so meh. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wonder for those of you who watched the league pre-expansion do you feel this way about other expansion teams? I have wondered whether my lack of care for the Jags is because they don't have the rich history of many other teams, there are no grainy films of the Jaguars in black and white. I don't feel that way about the Texans but then I kind of see them more as the continuation of the Houston franchise than the Titans but I also don't feel that way about Carolina. It is just Jacksonville. They are just really nothingness to me and I actually know a lot of Jags fans here in London, including a couple who followed them pre-International Series, but I dunno..... they are so meh. 

I'll admit I feel the same about the Jags but then it's been that long since they were consistently any good and that was early on in their history when Coughlin was coaching. I remember back then, they were an exciting team to watch. They've just been nothingness for many years now and they don't have the fan base or rich history that many other teams have. 

32 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

They had James Robinson last year who was great for them, it's why many shocked Etienne was drafted to begin with. 

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I won't go to any of their London games. Dull, dull, dull. 

5 minutes ago, BritBill said:

I won't go to any of their London games. Dull, dull, dull. 

Yea I went to watch them get killed by Harbaugh's 49ers the first time they came I think. It is the only time I have missed watching a Bills game in about 11 years. Since that the only Jags game I have been to was the Bills one. Duller than dull.

57 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Corta, I like you bud, but serious question, is he now called T-Law.  If I’m in the dark, sorry.

I have no idea I think people call him that, I like it its fun.

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not a Jags fan and when they are good their kind of a fun low key rival as we have had some games. But I really like Lawrence and I am curious how he does there. Their O-line is awful, we will run 9 sacks on them if they do not improve protection

16 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I'll admit I feel the same about the Jags but then it's been that long since they were consistently any good and that was early on in their history when Coughlin was coaching. I remember back then, they were an exciting team to watch. They've just been nothingness for many years now and they don't have the fan base or rich history that many other teams have. 

Yea maybe the difference between them and Carolina is that Carolina has had a couple of periods of being relevant during my time watching the league - under Fox and then again after a rebuild under Ron. Whereas the Jags have had 1 good season in forever. 

The Jags, Bwahahahahaha 

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

I watched the game last night.  Saints D came after Lawrence early and often and he took some hits.  The Jags have better skill players than the Bills did when Allen was a rookie.  Their Oline looks pretty bad though. 

The over/under on Urban bailing is 1. 

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

I tuned in last night to see how Lawrence and crew looked and I was dismayed. I like T-Law a lot and think he will join Allen and Mahomes as the kings in the AFC, but their gonna get this kid killed if they can show protection. He can move decently and there is no doubt the potential is there, but their offensive line is as bad as the Bills in 2018. I think their skill players are not bad though. Their offense was also really basic it reminded me of the Jauron days with a lot of 5 yard passes that can break. I am not super well versed in scheme and why teams run certain plays, but with Allen did we intentionally run easier short passes to help or in general is that something teams do or are the Jags the second coming of the 09 Bills dink and dunk nothing attack haha

Anyway just wondering what others thought as the Jags quietly should be one of those teams that challenge and I was happy Lawrence wasn't in our division, but early on (and I know it is early) the Urban experiment doesn't look very good.

I hate the coach, i think they did alright with the GM though.  I just don't see this Meyer thing going well. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea maybe the difference between them and Carolina is that Carolina has had a couple of periods of being relevant during my time watching the league - under Fox and then again after a rebuild under Ron. Whereas the Jags have had 1 good season in forever. 

Carolina also hasn't tarped off their stadium. The Jags have consistently been a running joke in the NFL market wise and the teams performance only confirmed it more, plus the pool (which I think is cool) was not seen as very rabid football fan like. Pre Cam the Panthers great advantage was making a SB and playoffs more. This last decade absolutely made the Panthers way more legit as they had a lot of success despite no ring and Cam was a true star there for 10 years. The Jags on the other hand were a tirefire minus 2017.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

he’s a rookie.  He has a college coach. Jac shouldn’t expect a lot at this point.  That doesn’t mean over a couple of years they improve.

I just don’t have an opinion other than they will be maybe 3-14 this year.

I have nothing against the kid and hope he is not Darnolded.  I actually hope except against us Darnold does well just like if we use Mitch this Saturday, he does well.  Sometimes they are a victim of their circumstance.

I immediately thought of Ty Law, even though I knew the thread was about Trevor Lawrence..

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

Carolina also hasn't tarped off their stadium. The Jags have consistently been a running joke in the NFL market wise and the teams performance only confirmed it more, plus the pool (which I think is cool) was not seen as very rabid football fan like. Pre Cam the Panthers great advantage was making a SB and playoffs more. This last decade absolutely made the Panthers way more legit as they had a lot of success despite no ring and Cam was a true star there for 10 years. The Jags on the other hand were a tirefire minus 2017.

Sports in Florida never do particularly well - a lot of fairweather fans, and lots of transplants.  Basketball is pretty popular, and the good teams will always draw.  But even when the dolphins are good the stadium tends to be full of a vocal opposing fan base.  You would think the jags would draw well though, there are no other sports there, no major college sports etc.

1 hour ago, AmishRifle said:

I foresee that he will claim a medical issue with his head again in the near future and not complete his contract.  The lift is just too big for him.

Caution:  NSFW, or impressionable viewers.  Or Urban Meyer fans.

https://youtu.be/PMY9Yq0_6pU

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Which pre-expansion are you referring to? 

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

Urban ran a very basic scheme pre-NFL. If he doesn’t get an NFL offensive injection they are doomed.  

9 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Sports in Florida never do particularly well - a lot of fairweather fans, and lots of transplants.  Basketball is pretty popular, and the good teams will always draw.  But even when the dolphins are good the stadium tends to be full of a vocal opposing fan base.  You would think the jags would draw well though, there are no other sports there, no major college sports etc.

Gainesville is seventy miles from Jacksonville, the Gators play Georgia in Jacksonville every year, a so called neutral site. Make no mistake it is Gator country. There are three NFL franchises in Florida, two NHL teams, two NBA teams, two MLB teams and four major college programs. 

3 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Gainesville is seventy miles from Jacksonville, the Gators play Georgia in Jacksonville every year, a so called neutral site. Make no mistake it is Gator country. There are three NFL franchises in Florida, two NHL teams, two NBA teams, two MLB teams and four major college programs. 

Lots of teams, but both baseball teams, the panthers, the jags, dolphins traditionally struggle to draw a real rabid fan base. 

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Ha well the post 95 ones really but any I suppose. Do you feel less interested in the fortunes of newer teams? 

Yeah, but I attribute that more to getting older and giving far less of a F than I do the teams themselves. That said, I will root for certain players, regardless. 

44 minutes ago, foreboding said:

He is an AFC QB, is he not? Dismayed is not the word I would choose.

Hey I like Mahomes except when play them and same with Lamar and same now with Trevor. As long as they don't beat the Bills they are great players to watch who do really cool stuff as a fan. I hope Trevor does well minus any matchup with Buffalo lol

4 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Who are the four? Miami, FSU, UF, then you have USF and UCF. Or did you mean four teams other than UF?

Florida is very transient, so I agree their base there would be bandwagon fans. Does Jacksonville have many businesses/corporations headquartered there?