Forbes 2021 NFL franchise values

Beast

The Bills rank dead last. This only further substantiates the idea that the Pegula’s will probably have to receive fairly substantial public funding for a new stadium. The franchise (as a business) simply can’t generate enough operating income to suggest that a Billion dollar plus stadium needs to be paid for through the team’s profitability.

The harsh reality is that Buffalo has an NFL team thanks to a bit of a fluke of history. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 13

47 minutes ago, Beast said:

Wow that is harsh from a business economic sense.  I wonder how many college programs if valued in a similar way would be higher then the Bills...

16 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I dont think so either but dont think they arent going to leverage this, I certainly would if I were them.  Austin is UT country for NFL it is 70% Cowboy with a sprinkiling of Texan fans, Jerry Jones doesnt want a team so close.

agreed.  the only problem with leveraging this is a negative reaction from some fans...but i suppose all of that will quickly resolve once the new construction moves forward.

1 hour ago, DJB said:

I imagine we would vault near the top once they build that new stadium in Austin TX? 🤔

Doesn't it make sense just to sublet from Dallas.  Just schedule for Dallas 'away' weeks?🤔😁

EDIT: If the Bills were the Chargers, they probably wouldn't even have to sublet!  Just sneak in, play, clean up, skulk out.  Nobody watches the Chargers! 😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Tortured Soul said:

If they invested in an S&P fund instead, they'd have over $3 billion now.

True.  But we don’t know what they’ve made in profit from the Bills though (dividends are included in S&P returns).  Those profits could’ve been reinvested in the S&P or something else.  Plus owning the Bills likely had a positive impact on some of their other investments.  And soon the team’s value will be further increased by the new (probably heavily subsidized) stadium.

The ultimate answer of which would've been the better investment is very complicated and ever changing, but your point that it isn’t out of line with other investments is a good one.  My main point was that even the lowest valued team in the league is doing pretty darn well, so buying an NFL team has been a very safe and very profitable investment.  I think that’s hard to argue against. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

22 minutes ago, Tortured Soul said:

True, but when's the last time the missus got to dress up an S&P fund in those red pajama uniforms?  You just can't put a price on some things. 😁

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

True.  But we don’t know what they’ve made in profit from the Bills though (dividends are included in S&P returns).  Those profits could’ve been reinvested in the S&P or something else.  Plus owning the Bills likely had a positive impact on some of their other investments.  And soon the team’s value will be further increased by the new (probably heavily subsidized) stadium.

Yeah, it wasn't meant as a serious point, just some context. I actually left out dividends - if they reinvested dividends, they'd have $3.4 billion.

The bills have more operating income than Cincinnati, Tennessee, Cleveland , and Arizona , and giants and bears and jets

And these are estimates. You're worth what somebody's willing to pay... The bills were valued at a lot less than what Terry pagula paid for us

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

The bills have more operating income than Cincinnati, Tennessee, Cleveland , and Arizona , and giants and bears and jets

And these are estimates. You're worth what somebody's willing to pay... The bills were valued at a lot less than what Terry pagula paid for us

They have the Bills at NEGATIVE 17.6 million… which is better than Detroit, LA Chargers, Baltimore , Green Bay, Seattle, Houston, Philadelphia, San Fran

Edited by loedward22

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

The harsh reality is that Buffalo has an NFL team thanks to a bit of a fluke of history. 

It is also reality that the Bills should have been an NFL city many years earlier had it not been for George Preston Marshall, so it wasn't just a one time fluke. The problem became the shrinking population of the Buffalo area and how its importance was lessened by it.

3 hours ago, CuseBill said:

The bottom of the list are all teams that have never won a Super Bowl or not in a long time.  Win a SB Buffalo and watch that valuation grow!  Look what it did for Tampa Bay, according to the article.

As Russ Brandon once said......."the brand is tarnished".

One season as a SB contender isn't going to change that.

Winning a SB would help a lot.    

Josh Allen having a long and illustrious career in Buffalo could help immensely.

• Like (+1) 2

Unfortunately, Buffalo does not have the proper economic infrastucture that justifies a billion dollar football stadium, no matter who pays for it. That being said, should the area go forward with the construction, it's finance should be considered a pure unjustifiable Lark. As a "BUFFALO" Bills fan, I sure hope it's built, and the Bills remain in Buffalo forever.

3 hours ago, Tortured Soul said:

if Bills hit open market right now they are going for 4 billion. If new owners see path to move possibly more.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, gjv said:

Unfortunately, Buffalo does not have the proper economic infrastucture that justifies a billion dollar football stadium, no matter who pays for it. That being said, should the area go forward with the construction, it's finance should be considered a pure unjustifiable Lark. As a "BUFFALO" Bills fan, I sure hope it's built, and the Bills remain in Buffalo forever.

The state and county will pay for at least half .. not the city of buffalo

NYS Taxpayers funded half of Yankee stadium and the Mets stadium 

And The Buffalo Bills are the only football team in New York state.. New York state is going to pony a good amount when all is said and done

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, cba fan said:

if Bills hit open market right now they are going for 4 billion. If new owners see path to move possibly more.

Yup. Forbes is just an estimate but really has no bearing on anything in reality.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, CuseBill said:

The bottom of the list are all teams that have never won a Super Bowl or not in a long time.  Win a SB Buffalo and watch that valuation grow!  Look what it did for Tampa Bay, according to the article.

how about new england? worst team in all pro sports for a LONG time... kraft bought them for IIRC 132 million dollars in 92 or 93. Winning fixes EVERYTHING. Even if it means MASSIVE amounts of band wagon fans. 

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Still a hefty increase from the $1.4B the Pegulas paid. 

A billion here, a billion there….pretty soon it starts to add up to real money!   :)

I’m guesssing Terry won’t have to drill another well. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I dont think so either but dont think they arent going to leverage this, I certainly would if I were them.  Austin is UT country for NFL it is 70% Cowboy with a sprinkiling of Texan fans, Jerry Jones doesnt want a team so close.

70 percent? Try like closer to 95 that is wall to wall blue, silver, and white down there…a new team has zero chance of building a fan base there heck Houston is 70 percent Cowboys fans and they have the Texans 

8 hours ago, Process said:

#32 in metro population if you include Milwaukee with GB, and one of the oldest stadiums in the league. It is what it is.

They're not going anywhere

If you're gonna play those games them you should include Rochester with Buffalo right?  Rochester is closer to Buffalo than Milwaukee is to Green Bay.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

If you're gonna play those games them you should include Rochester with Buffalo right?  Rochester is closer to Buffalo than Milwaukee is to Green Bay.

Ok lol so we are #31, my bad. The point still stands. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Western New York.. the counties that encompass it

Have more population than Pittsburgh metropolitan

2.7 million to 2.4  

• Like (+1) 1