@RapSheet Marrone to be canned...Urban Meyer favorite for job?

Big Blitz

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

We do not need this. Meyer arriving and insisting Fields is the #1 guy..... leaving Trevor to the Jets after all.... 

I see that point. On the flipside Urban Meyer is one of the best 15 football coaches on the planet. When was the last time the Jags could say they had that? Coughlin? 

i dont want the jets getting fields or Lawrence. I may prefer them having Lawrence.  I don’t know.  

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Meyer?  He won three national championships with two different schools.  He has a .854 win % and is 12-3 in Bowl games.  What do you consider good?  

I'm not claiming he will do well in NFL. In fact I don't think he will and I would no hire him.  He is an amazing recruiter fist and foremost.  

Marrone.

3 hours ago, Whkfc said:

Interesting looking to go hard in the Ohio St. direction Justin Fields looked pretty damn good last night. Could the Jags make it a clean sweep?

If you are insinuating Fields goes first instead of Lawrence. LOL

some college coaches do fine in the NFL.   the guys who dont,  are the control freaks,  who try to treat the NFL players like college kids.    that doesnt fly in the pros.  that was Sabans problem in Miami,  and that would be Myers problem as well.  add to the fact the college coaches from big time programs  control everything,   in the pros they have to work with GMs,  owners,  and some players who actually have more power than they do.   Parcells,  one of the all time greats,  had trouble in certain spots when he couldnt control everything that he wanted to and he spent most of his time in the pros,  he knew the game.

Edited by bigduke6
  • Like (+1) 1

He won’t take this job, Urban is known to duck out of dodge when the going gets tough. Nick Saban 2.0 in the NFL

13 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

some college coaches do fine in the NFL.   the guys who dont,  are the control freaks,  who try to treat the NFL players like college kids.    that doesnt fly in the pros.  that was Sabans problem in Miami,  and that would be Myers problem as well.  add to the fact the college coaches from big time programs  control everything,   in the pros they have to work with GMs,  owners,  and some players who actually have more power than they do.   Parcells,  one of the all time greats,  had trouble in certain spots when he couldnt control everything that he wanted to and he spent most of his time in the pros,  he knew the game.

I think once Saban realized you couldn’t coach adults the way he coached kids back in LSU that he didn’t want any part of the NFL and used the Dolphins taking Culpepper over Brees as an excuse to get out. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MJS said:

He wasn't even that good in college.

MJS,

You know I love you’re posts, but Meyer was 187-32 in His college coaching career.  He was phenomenal at UF, and is so beloved down here.  Jax is almost a reverse suburb for G-Ville.  Max became regionalized years ago and why they have the “Greatest Cocktail Party” game with UF and Georgia there each year.  Hell, the RV’s show up on Monday in their stadium parking lot, people take an entire week off, are drunk by 10 am for a week getting ready for that game.

Florida is a college football state.  The NFL is an after thought.  Meyer is a good coach from someone who watched him for a decade, and I don’t know if that transfers to the pros.  Most times it doesn’t.  Given there should be fans next year, that city will go nuts with Meyer as coach and Lawrence as thei QB.  Everyone down here has probably seen every Clemson game as it’s not that far from Jax.

Marrone was a terrible coach and have no sympathy for the guy.  He needs to go back and be a line coach as that is what is suited for doing in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Augie said:

And I see that point as well. Personally, I’d rather have McD because I think he provides a more stable future. But, who know where the Jags will even be in a few years. Meyer just might help prolong their existence in Jax. In my mind, that’s a good thing. I hate to see fans get their team ripped from them (even if there are so few). 

I think even Meyer would have to see Trevor as the better option, right??? Do NOT let the Jests fall into Trevor!!!   😱

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

Urban Meyer? The guy who retired twice? Yea I doubt it, but if he does he will surely fail.

Yeah but it was his health and family. Not his questionable recruiting and tolerance of bad behavior from players and coaches 😂 

• Haha (+1) 1

You want to sign meyer with all of his health problems and draft Lawrence? Be my guest 

I don’t care how well he does- he isn’t the long term answer. He’s there to sell tickets. Sell all the tickets you want while it lasts. Someone upstream said it already, he won’t last more than 3 years 

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

MJS,

You know I love you’re posts, but Meyer was 187-32 in His college coaching career.  He was phenomenal at UF, and is so beloved down here.  Jax is almost a reverse suburb for G-Ville.  Max became regionalized years ago and why they have the “Greatest Cocktail Party” game with UF and Georgia there each year.  Hell, the RV’s show up on Monday in their stadium parking lot, people take an entire week off, are drunk by 10 am for a week getting ready for that game.

Florida is a college football state.  The NFL is an after thought.  Meyer is a good coach from someone who watched him for a decade, and I don’t know if that transfers to the pros.  Most times it doesn’t.  Given there should be fans next year, that city will go nuts with Meyer as coach and Lawrence as thei QB.  Everyone down here has probably seen every Clemson game as it’s not that far from Jax.

Marrone was a terrible coach and have no sympathy for the guy.  He needs to go back and be a line coach as that is what is suited for doing in the NFL.

I was referring to Marrone.

5 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Meh, Saban is probably the greatest college coach ever and he couldn’t figure it out in the pro’s. Spurrier is another one. I don’t see Meyer being a great NFL HC. 

NFL success involves too many variables to make sweeping judgments on just about anyone, especially coaches, with only 32 games to evaluate (15-17). 

I generally agree that CEO-type college taskmasters (is that an oxymoron?) don't necessarily translate well to the pros, but 2 years with one middling franchise fielding meh at the QB position isn't a definitive data set.

4 hours ago, Groin said:

That's such bologna!  (ha ha)

Love a good beef bologna, with a Webster horseradish mustard on a deli rye.  Yum to my days at OMGC, in Blasdell back in the day.  

I used to love delivering Blasdell Pizza to the guys in HC, College for a year at the McKinley.  Never seen a bigger man than House.  I remember asking him who the Sheet pizza was for (sorry bad grammar), and he said “Me”.  The answer of course was yes sir.

2 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Love a good beef bologna, with a Webster horseradish mustard on a deli rye.  Yum to my days at OMGC, in Blasdell back in the day.  

I used to love delivering Blasdell Pizza to the guys in HC, College for a year at the McKinley.  Never seen a bigger man than House.  I remember asking him who the Sheet pizza was for (sorry bad grammar), and he said “Me”.  The answer of course was yes sir.

But of course.  For me it was fried bologna with a hunk of sliced cheddar cheese and hot sauce.  Of course it would go on toasted bread.  It's a given.

Still, Marrone's revelation of sitting alone in his office after a game, eating a bologna sandwich, after any game -- along with an in-depth analysis of bologna itself brought me unparalleled joy.

Edited by Groin

50 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I hope not - I would love to see him coaching the Jets as his dream job.  Maybe helping out in NE to rebuild the O-Line. 😂

He also seems like the innovative offensive coordinator to unlock the true downfield passing potential of Tua, that Miami has been looking for!

He worked wonders with Kyle Orton, Blake Bortles and Gardiner Minshew

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Can't argue with the results!

I can see top GM candidates flocking there. That said, if Urban Meyer really does go there he will probably be defacto GM as well. 

I think Balke is de facto GM right now and is pushing for urban