Tyler Kroft positive COVID result reported Sat am [EDIT: now said to be false pos and he's active again]

RiotAct

And gentle reminder:

This thread is for talking about the actual occurence of Tyler Kroft testing positive for Covid-19, possible effect of missing Kroft on tomorrow's game and the first playoff game, etc.

It is not for general discussion of how one contracts covid-19, "shaming" of Kroft for contracting a disease he may have gotten by doing nothing that's prohibited or considered risky, or opining about how the Bills should do something they're prohibited by the league from doing and requiring a "bubble" (see previous post).

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Two things I wonder about:

1) will they stop the needless hand shaking after games .. it is bizarre how they have all these protocols in place but then after the game they are hugging and otherwise getting close to the other team. Simply maddening. 
2) will players who already tested positive be exempt from the close contact protocol?

I agree.  it would be just useful to have the 44 players line up  and just walk by the other line

I travel a fair amount for work as I'm sure many others here do too.  What do you typically do when traveling when you're done with work, go out to eat and drink and do all kinds of other bad stuff.  But when you don't travel and are at home you don't do that.

My point is when you're home you have many things around the house to keep you busy, not as much when away staying in a hotel so could see players getting in more trouble in a bubble.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I travel a fair amount for work as I'm sure many others here do too.  What do you typically do when traveling when you're done with work, go out to eat and drink and do all kinds of other bad stuff.  But when you don't travel and are at home you don't do that.

My point is when you're home you have many things around the house to keep you busy, not as much when away staying in a hotel so could see players getting in more trouble in a bubble.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Good thoughts, bro.

Never thought of it from that angle.

Honestly, whatever they do, it will have drawbacks. They just have to do the best they can with what they have.

19 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

LOL, you proved me wrong!

You must have young kids.  Stated after spending a week at Christmas with grand kids and am very Blippied out!  Got to say Blippy is educational though as I did learn things.

yes indeed - two young boys.  that song has come on a million times when we’ve listened to the Toddler Tunes Pandora station.

2 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

The real problem is that guys family, and especially the baby.  Their health is all that matters.  Football is secondary in this situation.  This coming from someone who has been to nearly every game since 1990.

Unfortunately this is 2021 and a lot of people don't think like that... I honestly think that I am living in an Alternate 1985 where Biff Tannen is in charge of everything. I find it disturbing that a lot of people are more concerned about the availability of a player over the health of them and their family. It's a bad time for humanity but I salute your sentiment. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

They sweat and slam into 10-15 guys during the game then they go and shake hands and hug 20 additional guys .. the backup quarterback, the TE coach, .... needless close contact. Getting Covid for these young men is not normally going to be a huge issue for their health.. but if they lose two weeks it could sink everything the team has been working toward. I would love one good reason that they should do this .. the answer is that despite your snarky response there is none

snarky? its just a fact. they are out there playing a physical game. they are under strict protocols and testing at all points of the day. you can't bubble wrap life. to say you cant even shake a mans hand after a hard fought game. if thats the case they should plexi glass between players cause a defensive guy might sit next to a offensive guy. players that celebrate with teammates after making a great play. dont allow starters to play special teams that puts them more at risk. ect ect. 

at a certain point you have to trust these guys are doing the best that is humanly possible in a industry that's alot more secure then any other on the planet. allow them to be human beings...that comes with risk regardless of a handshake.

thats all im saying.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sucks for them for sure but this really good news team-wise

really sucks when you consider the likelyhood of him playing and getting some positive tape before likely facing FA next year. 

Mistakes cause career issues is not a good look.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sucks for them for sure but this really good news team-wise

Quite literally the best possible outcome for the team after he tested positive yesterday.

13 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

really sucks when you consider the likelyhood of him playing and getting some positive tape before likely facing FA next year. 

Mistakes cause career issues is not a good look.

I was going to say he'll get time in the playoffs but if Gilliam comes back that might not be true.

31 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Quite literally the best possible outcome for the team after he tested positive yesterday.

I was going to say he'll get time in the playoffs but if Gilliam comes back that might not be true.

I mean, he was a healthy scratch all the weeks our offense was playing best... Doubt he plays much, if any, in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

if this is true, this is a problem. He had 5 negative tests after the arguably false positive test. Imagine if this had been a key player in a playoff game. 

I would be interested to hear the NFL’s side of the story. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Tyler Kroft positive COVID result reported Sat am [EDIT: now said to be false pos and he's active again]

Pufnstuf just can't catch a break.  For some reason, he's in McD's doghouse, while Featherstone continues to drop room service each week.  On top of that, he's got the NFL doing him dry.  The last thing the NFL should be doing is sidelining guys with false positives.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

On 1/3/2021 at 1:02 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Better safe than sorry. He still gets paid. I'd rather err on the side of keeping the rest of the team un-infected (?lol) going into the playoffs.

That was the only question I wasn't sure of.  Though he could have possibly reach incentives if he wasn't ruled out for those games.   Not sure if he has any or not but it could be possible.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

if this is true, this is a problem. He had 5 negative tests after the arguably false positive test. Imagine if this had been a key player in a playoff game. 

I would be interested to hear the NFL’s side of the story. 

It's going to happen, and they absolutely err on the side of safety. Just the way it is this year.

NFL's side of the story: We're doing the best we can to prevent the spread of a pandemic while still having a season.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/2/2021 at 6:05 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I understand your point and appreciate your service....but one difference you may be overlooking is that you signed on, knowing TDY you would not see your family.

The NFL and NFLPA negotiated how the season would work and explicitly excluded a bubble or lockdown.  So saying to them "lockdown now" would be changing the terms of their employment.  Maybe they'd agree, but the NFL isn't the military, and they can't just dictate or change the terms unilaterally.  The players have got to buy in.

It's also not likely for a lockdown or bubble to be effective unless you also lockdown all the staff who have player contact - trainers, medical, coaches, I'm not sure who all.  You gotta know this, you're only as strong as your weakest link.

Extraordinary times deserve Extraordinary measures. 

I agree with your points. 

My point is of course a hypothetical. I would like to think that most,  if not all players would buy in to sequestration. 

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

NFL's side of the story: We're doing the best we can to prevent the spread of a pandemic while still having a season.

NFL isn't.  For playoffs they should use two tests with 2 different companies (that might interfere with $ponsor$) and only prohibit players from player if both say negative.