Diggs first team all-pro chances?

Adams feels like the only lock.

Diggs competition will be Tyreek Hill, Metcalf and Hopkins.

Tyreek Hill may have the inside track for the other spot.

Hopkins and Diggs numbers are very similar. Nearly identical. 

It feels like Diggs has the best storyline and is being credited a lot for Allen's breakout year by the media. That may be enough for him to take it over guys like Hill and Metcalf who will have far more TD's.

On a side note, who was our last first team all-pro? I know Mario Williams was at least first or second team. I want to say first team one year but not positive. If it is before him, maybe Moorman?

In league history 9 players have combined to reach 120+ receptions 13 times. Only once out of those 13 occurrences has it not resulted in a first team all pro selection for that player. Chris Carter in 1995. Unless Diggs is inactive for the Miami game he should be a lock to reach 120 receptions. 

And that 1995 season was crazy. Maybe the greatest single season ever for WR's combined.

Chris Carter: 122 receptions 1,371 yards 17 TD's

Issac Bruce: 119 receptions 1,781 yards 13 TD's

And neither was first team All-Pro.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1995/receiving.htm

16 minutes ago, Taro Nimbus said:

If you go based off of statistics, Diggs has the advantage over Adams.

Adams has missed two games. Diggs has the advantage in receptions and yardage totals. But not averages. And he's way behind in TD's. That's why I think Adams is the first lock. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Taro Nimbus said:

If you go based off of statistics, Diggs has the advantage over Adams.

Absolutely not. Adams missed 2 games almost triples Diggs TD....he’s behind in reception and yards..  Adams averages 5 more yards per game.  He has almost 200 more YAC.  

Diggs has been amazing, but adams has been the best Wr in football this season.

the other spot is a tossup between Diggs, DHop and Tyreek imo.  Metcalf coming up next

Diggs wins over DHop imo because his team is better.  

Hill and Diggs, it just depends what you value more.  Catches or TDs.  Hill triple Diggs’ TDs while Diggs has almost 30 more receptions and is leading the league in targets, 18 more than Tyreek. Tyreek doesn’t even lead his TEAM in targets

tough call. Seems to me like there should be 3 first team All pro WRs nowadays conserving most teams employ at least 3 wrs most of the time. 

if I were an unbiased voter and was looking at stats:  Adams gets my first vote, Hill 2nd, Diggs 3rd.  

as a Bills fan:  Diggs, then Beasley then adams

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

1st Team - Adams & Hill... TD's win games and these two live in the end zone.

2nd Team - Diggs & Hopkins ... Next Best, catch a lot passes and get a lot of yards and 1st downs

3rd Team - Metcalf & Kupp or a dozen other guys.

This is how I see it the first and second team too. I could see Keenan Allen and Justin Jefferson with Metcalf in that almost 2nd team but ultimately lose out group

There 3 WRs yeah? Last year was Hopkins Thomas and Julio

If Diggs leads the league in receptions plus 1400+ Yds... I can overlook 5-6 TDs.

Metcalf was not seen in some big games. Seattle still did fine. Hill Benefits from having a crazy core around him.

Diggs is by far getting more attention from defenses cause he the only real threat on our team. If he’s not on Buffalo, Buffalo season is way different.

Adams is having a great year but also missed games like 2 I think... does that play a factor?

Its tough but I say Diggs is a strong candidate. Diggs, Hill, Hopkins?

Edited by CEN-CAL17

So I think Hill gets it over Diggs simply because he brings attention to himself.  He does a lot of stupid things on the field (for example, the backflips into the end zone, the peace sign as he is about to score, etc) but this season has been able to back it up with touchdown receptions.  The voters don't think this way but they should - would Hill have even close to as many touchdowns and splash plays if he didn't play on the same team as Kelce and Mahomes?  You certainly have to account for his speed and my Bills homerism is certainly playing into this but I think Diggs has done more and deserves the first team all pro more than Hill

13 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

If Diggs leads the league in receptions plus 1400+ Yds... I can overlook 5-6 TDs.

No.  Just two spots.  Hopkins and Thomas were elected last year.  Julio was 2nd team.

1st team will pry be Adams, Hill

2nd team:  Diggs, Hopkins

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

No.  Just two spots.  Hopkins and Thomas were elected last year.  Julio was 2nd team.

1st team will pry be Adams, Hill

2nd team:  Diggs, Hopkins

Dang.... in a super pass heavy league with every team having 4-5 WR sets, they can only pick 2? Tough

So Diggs playing 2 extra games and not being hurt should be held against him? I always thought durability and playing those games was important. I disagree that Adams is a lock because he has averaged a few more yards/game. Also, how many games do you have to miss before the average is of less value? 4? 6? 15?

Give me the guy who played, not the guy who played and has someone else fill his spot when he's out. 

2 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

So Diggs playing 2 extra games and not being hurt should be held against him? I always thought durability and playing those games was important. I disagree that Adams is a lock because he has averaged a few more yards/game. Also, how many games do you have to miss before the average is of less value? 4? 6? 15?

Give me the guy who played, not the guy who played and has someone else fill his spot when he's out. 

Getting into the end zone matters more.  Dude has two less games and triple the TDs.  It matters

31 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

So do receptions and yards.

They do. He’s not tripling anyone in receptions or yards.  He’s barely ahead.  

Looking back at the all pros, it seems as if there are several.  Depending on who’s voting. Two years again, there were 7 WRs named

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Joe Ferguson said:

What's the latest news on his foot injury? 

McDermott: reports are "not overly worrisome" . But doesn't have great clarity yet. The thing that sucks is even if he is questionable we would probably shut him down for this next game. But probably the right thing to do. Especially if John Brown is 100%. Get him some reps again.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Metcalf was not seen in some big games. Seattle still did fine. Hill Benefits from having a crazy core around him.

Diggs is by far getting more attention from defenses cause he the only real threat on our team. If he’s not on Buffalo, Buffalo season is way different.

Adams is having a great year but also missed games like 2 I think... does that play a factor?

Its tough but I say Diggs is a strong candidate. Diggs, Hill, Hopkins?

I like all these points.  I think it leads to Adams, Diggs, Hopkins.  

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Absolutely not. Adams missed 2 games almost triples Diggs TD....he’s behind in reception and yards..  Adams averages 5 more yards per game.  He has almost 200 more YAC.  

Diggs has been amazing, but adams has been the best Wr in football this season.

the other spot is a tossup between Diggs, DHop and Tyreek imo.  Metcalf coming up next

Diggs wins over DHop imo because his team is better.  

Hill and Diggs, it just depends what you value more.  Catches or TDs.  Hill triple Diggs’ TDs while Diggs has almost 30 more receptions and is leading the league in targets, 18 more than Tyreek. Tyreek doesn’t even lead his TEAM in targets

tough call. Seems to me like there should be 3 first team All pro WRs nowadays conserving most teams employ at least 3 wrs most of the time. 

if I were an unbiased voter and was looking at stats:  Adams gets my first vote, Hill 2nd, Diggs 3rd.  

as a Bills fan:  Diggs, then Beasley then adams

C'mon man!  As a Bills fan, Diggs, then Beasley, then Brown, then Davis, then TD Jesus.

As an unbiased voter, probably Adams, Hill, Diggs.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

1st: Adams and Hopkins

2nd: Diggs and Hill

3rd: Metcalf and Allen?

If he has another monster game on MNF against the Pats maybe that will push him into #1 spot

That would be key. If Diggs puts up a 10 reception, 150 yard, 2 TD game it would go a long ways. Particularly if he has some crazy highlight catch or freakish yac play. 

Edited by Buffalo Junction
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

That would be key. If Diggs puts up a 10 reception, 150 yard, 2 TD game it would go a long ways. Particularly if he has some crazy highlight catch or freakish yac play. 

That’s a good point. Cause you know he’s gonna have Gilmore on him 90% of the snaps...

5 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Wes Welker was named all pro in 2009 with only 4 receiving TD's. Here are six WR's that have been name first team all pro since 2000 that have had 7 or few receiving TD's:

Pro Football Reference: Stathead

How many of those years were there WRs that were snubbed and had 15+ TDs, 85+ catches and 1200+ yards 

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

How many of those years were there WRs that were snubbed and had 15+ TDs, 85+ catches and 1200+ yards 

None. But there is precedent for not always awarding high TD totals. And we came very close in 2016.

2016 Julio Jones won the award with 83 receptions, 1409 yards and 6TDs over Jordy Nelson who had 97 receptions, 1257 yards and 14 TD's

2010 Roddy White won the award with 111 reception, 1355 yards and 6TDs over Dwayne Bowe who had 72 receptions 1162 yards and 15 TD's

Also of note, no WR in NFL history has ever not won the award when tallying at least 120 receptions and 1400 yards. 10 for 10

Stathead: 1400 yards and 120+receptions

WR's in NFL history have won the award 9 out of 14 times when totaling 15+TDs, 85+ receptions and 1200+ yards

Stathead: 1200+ yards, 15+ TDs and 85+ receptions