Week 14 SNF: Bills Whoop Steelers PostGame Thread

4 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Just a little fun at the expense of punchable Nick Wright:

Oh, my!  I laughed until I cried at that one.

Pranking his Wiki profile is funny enough

Him getting on his show to piss -n- moan about it is hysterical.

You were pwn'd. Wright.  Just nut up and admit it.  Even Sam Monson filled out his "Josh Allen Apology Form"

Plus even I gotta give Monson props for a sense of humor:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, my!  I laughed until I cried at that one.

Pranking his Wiki profile is funny enough

Him getting on his show to piss -n- moan about it is hysterical.

You were pwn'd. Wright.  Just nut up and admit it.  Even Sam Monson filled out his "Josh Allen Apology Form"

Yeah, that was a good one.  I know we shouldn't feed the trolls but whoever did the Wiki edit deserves a medal.  That was epic.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I totally agree - right now Big Ben’s arm is just about shot and that limits what they can do.

What I am not sure of (and hear a lot) is if it is just because of the surgery or if it is age.  Many baseball pitchers with that injury come back and are limited in year one before finding the velocity again in year 2.  I keep reading he is done and should retire - I just wonder if he gets some strength back and is better next year - especially with what he has learned in 2020.

The other thing is, when I saw some photos of Big Ben off season he looked dough-boy-esque.  Well, he was a physical freak early on in his career, and could slim down and gain fitness quickly when he needed to.  Now he's older, and the pounds stick like cement, and as Beasley commented, as he got older he learned he couldn't rest during the bye because all his off-season hard work could get undone in 1 week of bye slacking.  Big Ben certainly got much fitter during the summer and training camp, but maybe not all the way.

Ryan Fitzpatrick had some off-seasons where it was kinda clear he wasn't totally committed to off-season conditioning.  One difference in Miami has been, he has looked fit from the start.

It seems to me possible that Ben might decide to go all-in and bet on himself this off season and have a renaisssance.  A quick passing game plus a dangerous arm could be deadly.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

Awesome video. 

Best part, Minkah was baiting him to make that throw.  Sitting in a cover 2, Minkah sees #2 receiver go to the flat and eyes up #1 (Davis) running a fly, he clearly mis calculated Josh's arm strength.  Maybe 2-3 NFL qbs have the talent and confidence to let that rip.

When the all-22 footage comes available, i would love to see a replay of that Knox interference (that led to a FG).  Pretty certain Beasley broke off his route and if Josh hits him up the sideline it's a TD

Iirc he saw Beasley early and then realized he had a TE 1v1 on a DB and said ***** it bombs away

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, blackngolddigger said:

People are funny.  Not sure what they expected.  The Steelers had a banged up championship caliber defense with a one dimensional offense.  The Bills should have won this game.  I thought the Steeler D played well but just got worn down in addition to the Bills making good second half adjustments.

I go with my coach's and QB's evaluation.  The Steelers have good depth and Tomlin always has his teams prepared.  Allen said it, "Make no mistake....that's a special defense"  I think we woulda done better in the first half if Allen had just a scootch more time and Knox didn't do whatever the hell that was with that catch/fumble.  Nobody was crying for us early in the season when our starting L guard was on IR with a pec, both our LBs were injured or playing hurt, and then we lost

So here's a question for ya, since you're obviously a Steelers fan:

The announcers mentioned several times that the QB sneak is off the table for the Steelers this year with Big Ben's injuries.  However, other teams with older QBs have special packages they put in where a QB sneak is one option.  Rudolph is a big, strong boy who ought to be able to be "sneaky".  Why wouldn't the Steelers develop a couple package plays with Rudolph where the QB sneak is in play?  After all, given a good OL and a strong QB who gets a good push on it, it's hard to stop even when a team knows it's coming.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, syhuang said:

No, that doesn’t matter. I’m pretty sure all the savants here say that the most important thing is PD? Or is it signature wins? Wait it’s blow out wins?  Someone can confirm? 

Right @High Football IQ

It doesn’t matter that Miami’s SOV is less than half of our SOV. It just matters that their PD is 85... that’s why they’re going to win out and win the division! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, scuba guy said:

I know it has not been said that much buy the first td was a pick play that knocked your db out of the way and coach even saw it but no flag

The only way Pittsburgh scored on that play was by Washington executing a really blatant pick on Neal in the slot. I am not sure if Tre was supposed to stay in man, but he and Neal both stayed on their man and ended up getting picked. Would think that how they play crossing routes out of 2 receiver, bunch, or stack alignments may have been a miscommunication by Neal with Tre just by the fact that he doesn't get the same amount of reps as White.

Either way it was a designed pick and I think when a pick is executed that clumsily it normally draws an offensive pass interference flag. The play is on the NFL site and the video goes on to diagnose and highlight how they were picked on the play with Tre watching the replay on the jumbotron. Kind of an odd thing to highlight when your org is responsible for calling that infraction.

NE lived off those 5-10 yard rub plays for years and they were pretty blatant about them too. The Bills created some crossing routes in man coverage early in the year when teams were foolish enough to play a lot of Cover 0 or 1 on us that resulted in rubs, but those were more subtle efforts to cause defenders to take a wide path to create space and poor leverage against our WRs rather than our receiver stepping in front, making contact with a defender, and obstructing his path. Beasley has been handed a PI on much milder efforts out of the bunch formation.

I stress that all in all, I liked that they mostly kept the yellow hankies in check there was a weak interior line holding call that negated a 20 or so yard run by Allen, but they also called a pretty weak roughing the passer call on the Steelers too. 

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I go with my coach's and QB's evaluation.  The Steelers have good depth and Tomlin always has his teams prepared.  Allen said it, "Make no mistake....that's a special defense"  I think we woulda done better in the first half if Allen had just a scootch more time and Knox didn't do whatever the hell that was with that catch/fumble.  Nobody was crying for us early in the season when our starting L guard was on IR with a pec, both our LBs were injured or playing hurt, and then we lost

So here's a question for ya, since you're obviously a Steelers fan:

The announcers mentioned several times that the QB sneak is off the table for the Steelers this year with Big Ben's injuries.  However, other teams with older QBs have special packages they put in where a QB sneak is one option.  Rudolph is a big, strong boy who ought to be able to be "sneaky".  Why wouldn't the Steelers develop a couple package plays with Rudolph where the QB sneak is in play?  After all, given a good OL and a strong QB who gets a good push on it, it's hard to stop even when a team knows it's coming.

Excellent post - I will add that early in the season with those injuries- is also the same time we had to deal with the Titans COVID crap (very similar to what the Steelers are dealing with).  The Bills got off schedule and had a bunch of players out or playing hurt and basically - everyone assumed the Bills just weren’t that good - the Titans an Chiefs won and our defense was struggling.

Once we got settled again - we played better and got healthy and Pittsburgh will get some of that in the coming weeks.

Hap - I think your point about sub packages in Pittsburgh is right on point - it does not seem to be something Tomlin is comfortable with at all.  He seems like such an old school coach - line up and play.  He does not seem to embrace the new wrinkles and options and I think it actually limits his team to a degree.  I love Tomlin as a coach- he is straight forward and to the point and man can he get guys up and emotionally ready to play.  I think he lacks creativity overall and it costs him in games with guys like BB in NE that know exactly what is coming and can scheme off from that.

Edited by Rochesterfan

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The other thing is, when I saw some photos of Big Ben off season he looked dough-boy-esque.  Well, he was a physical freak early on in his career, and could slim down and gain fitness quickly when he needed to.  Now he's older, and the pounds stick like cement, and as Beasley commented, as he got older he learned he couldn't rest during the bye because all his off-season hard work could get undone in 1 week of bye slacking.  Big Ben certainly got much fitter during the summer and training camp, but maybe not all the way.

Ryan Fitzpatrick had some off-seasons where it was kinda clear he wasn't totally committed to off-season conditioning.  One difference in Miami has been, he has looked fit from the start.

It seems to me possible that Ben might decide to go all-in and bet on himself this off season and have a renaisssance.  A quick passing game plus a dangerous arm could be deadly.

38 is about the year this notion sets in.  I was a lot like Ben too in that regard, now at 43 losing weight is twice as hard. 

3 hours ago, blackngolddigger said:

LOL, hardly.  I don't live and die by the results like I did in my younger years.

I just don't discredit a team's victories against teams that they should beat because, you know, any given Sunday.

You guys have a good defense, but once we got a handle on Heyward the writing was on the wall. Still a good defense, but took a lot of risks bringing extra men to get to Allen who is no longer that rookie that crumbles under that kind of pressure. It was good practice for Allen as Belichick likes to bring that 5th or 6th rusher from different areas of the field, or overloading a side of the LOS to get Allen to rush throws as well.

It is fine too if fans want to talk about the players that are missing, but the Bills have been a walking triage unit on both sides of the ball all year and are just starting to get some players back healthy again. Every team has injury gaps, but you have to win with the guys you can suit up and play.

Ben looks old and slow, and does not look even close to the player he was earlier in the year and the reps throwing with no supporting running game and the predictability of where he is going with the ball is catching up to him and your team.

The Steelers are not a finesse team, but that is the kind of offense you guys are trying to run and it is just plain wrong. Ben is not Drew Brees and Pittsburgh is not New Orleans. The Steelers are about winning in the trenches and having good balance with their running game, with Ben able to move and create time and space to have success with off schedule throws and WRs that can make tough yards after the catch.

I think your offense has an identity crisis right now, they are just not what I have come to expect from a Tomlin coached team on the offensive side of the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think the Steelers are good enough on defense to get through LV, and Miami.   Baltimore, Cleveland, and Indianapolis would be harder games, but I still think they can get to the final four. 

Perhaps, but I have my doubts.  The run game was working well enough the first 6 or so games this season but now it's virtually non existent.

The offense is just so lost at the moment.

32 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

If we're doing the "hey we get all our guys back" game...we get John Brown for this game as well.  When Brown has played this year, we were almost unstoppable on O

Not really the point I was trying to make, but sure.  Was simply pointing out that the Steeler offense is so bad, it would have probably still been a loss.

34 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Were they 11-0 good?  again, look at the list of qb's. Real good team aided by an even easier schedule.

I guess I don't really look at records like a normal person. :D    Records are what they are.  Not a lot separates the top teams and there aren't enough games overall or between common opponents to always be a great indicator. 

Every week is a new adventure.  Matchups, injuries, adjustments, good/bad bounces, players having an off day or being in the zone.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One of life's unsolved mysteries.  They've hardly ever done the QB sneak.  The announcers in last week's game against Washington were joking about it and said too bad the Steelers had such a small QB or they could've run a QB sneak on a couple different failed 3rd/4th and short attempts.

8 hours ago, A Firm Tree Does Not Fear said:

how sweet it is...

10 3.jpg

I see the Jets couldn't get 4 wins to keep the pattern going.

49 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

No, that doesn’t matter. I’m pretty sure all the savants here say that the most important thing is PD? Or is it signature wins? Wait it’s blow out wins?  Someone can confirm? 

Right @High Football IQ

It doesn’t matter that Miami’s SOV is less than half of our SOV. It just matters that their PD is 85... that’s why they’re going to win out and win the division! 

Somebody needs to get his avatar on a milk cartoon dudes been missing for weeks.

Sick Burn GIF | Gfycat

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Exactly. Ben looks done. 

The thing that stood out to me last night was Ben was on the four or five yard line and was zero threat to run, even with an open field.  That might as well have been 10 yards, if he tried it, he would not have made it.  

21 minutes ago, blackngolddigger said:

Perhaps, but I have my doubts.  The run game was working well enough the first 6 or so games this season but now it's virtually non existent.

The offense is just so lost at the moment.

Gotta get Johnson rolling.   The drops are tough, but his speed is too good to waste.    I think the defense is good enough to beat lesser Quarterbacks.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, WideNine said:

You guys have a good defense, but once we got a handle on Heyward the writing was on the wall. Still a good defense, but took a lot of risks bringing extra men to get to Allen who is no longer that rookie that crumbles under that kind of pressure. It was good practice for Allen as Belichick likes to bring that 5th or 6th rusher from different areas of the field, or overloading a side of the LOS to get Allen to rush throws as well.

It is fine too if fans want to talk about the players that are missing, but the Bills have been a walking triage unit on both sides of the ball all year and are just starting to get some players back healthy again. Every team has injury gaps, but you have to win with the guys you can suit up and play.

Ben looks old and slow, and does not look even close to the player he was earlier in the year and the reps throwing with no supporting running game and the predictability of where he is going with the ball is catching up to him and your team.

The Steelers are not a finesse team, but that is the kind of offense you guys are trying to run and it is just plain wrong. Ben is not Drew Brees and Pittsburgh is not New Orleans. The Steelers are about winning in the trenches and having good balance with their running game, with Ben able to move and create time and space to have success with off schedule throws and WRs that can make tough yards after the catch.

I think your offense has an identity crisis right now, they are just not what I have come to expect from a Tomlin coached team on the offensive side of the ball.

They may have felt that taking those risks was their best bet with what they had left to work with on defense.

But yep, once the Bills adjusted and handled it better in the second half, game over.

No idea about what injuries the Bills have faced this year and completely agree the team has to work with what they have.   It's part of the game and why one week can be so different from the next in the NFL.

Ben has never been fast.  He's always looked slow to me, but he was evasive.  Allen has more career rushing yards in 3 years than Ben has in 17.  I think if they had even an average run game, he would look a lot better and less old. :)

Yep, the offense is a mess.  No idea if or how it can be fixed.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, blackngolddigger said:

One of life's unsolved mysteries.  They've hardly ever done the QB sneak.  The announcers in last week's game against Washington were joking about it and said too bad the Steelers had such a small QB or they could've run a QB sneak on a couple different failed 3rd/4th and short attempts.

Especially with Tomlin in his call-out speeches aka postgame pressers going all “if you can’t get a yard, you don’t deserve to win” one would think the same logic of “if you can’t catch the ball you will be replaced by someone who can” would apply.  If Big Ben can’t or won’t do it, put in someone who can.

All to our benefit, of course, but I do feel a tiny bit sorry for our neighbor with the parrots.  Haha I lie, no I don’t!  But you do have a very good football team and that seems like a fixable gap

10 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Gotta get Johnson rolling.   The drops are tough, but his speed is too good to waste.    I think the defense is good enough to beat lesser Quarterbacks.

Yeah, maybe his brief benching will help.  He might have as much talent as AB had, but without the psychotic break(yet).

With the current offensive struggles, the D pretty much needs to score and/or get a couple turnovers creating a short field for them to have a chance.

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

Right @High Football IQ

I was curious to see what the High IQ guy had to say, with the Bills winning over so many skeptics with the last two wins.  Surely, as a Bills fan, he must be coming around and enjoying this great ride.  Instead he hasn't had a single post since Nov. 29. 

I guess the old adage still holds... If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.  

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Especially with Tomlin in his call-out speeches aka postgame pressers going all “if you can’t get a yard, you don’t deserve to win” one would think the same logic of “if you can’t catch the ball you will be replaced by someone who can” would apply.  If Big Ben can’t or won’t do it, put in someone who can.

All to our benefit, of course, but I do feel a tiny bit sorry for our neighbor with the parrots.  Haha I lie, no I don’t!  But you do have a very good football team and that seems like a fixable gap

The last couple weeks of tough talk Tomlin was a fairly rare thing.  He's usually not quite so negative.

No idea of it's Ben not wanting to sneak or the coaches are not wanting to call it.  Years ago, when Haley was the OC, it was said he wouldn't call the QB sneak.  IIRC.

Saw you're parrot story. :D  Funny.

We're a spoiled fan base, at least as far as the NFL and NHL go.  MLB is a different story. 😡

When Ben's gone in the very near future, it's gonna get ugly unless we luck into a good QB.

3 hours ago, blackngolddigger said:

People are funny.  Not sure what they expected.  The Steelers had a banged up championship caliber defense with a one dimensional offense.  The Bills should have won this game.  I thought the Steeler D played well but just got worn down in addition to the Bills making good second half adjustments.

Kinda like the majority of the first half game thread here. :D

I watch a boatload of steelers' games, and you are undervaluing them. Of course that D is much better with Bush and Dupree and Haden (and Spillane, who I think is a beast in his own right). But even without those guys, that D is easily a top-10 unit. Your D-line and safety play is elite, and your CB's are all really solid.

As for the O, Ben is not washed up. His arm is good. He's not as mobile. But the scheme is what is limiting them. They never committed to running yesterday-- even though the Bills' D has been gashed by the run at times this year. If they want to help Ben, they need to commit to running the ball, max protect, run playaction, and send those long receivers deep.  Your offensive coaching is terrible--that was the difference. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

I was curious to see what the High IQ guy had to say, with the Bills winning over so many skeptics with the last two wins.  Surely, as a Bills fan, he must be coming around and enjoying this great ride.  Instead he hasn't had a single post since Nov. 29. 

I guess the old adage still holds... If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.  

I think he is still posting - just under a different screen name right now.

The bad takes as High IQ (LOL) are replaced with a different trolling theme.  Then he will return with his garbage.

17 minutes ago, blackngolddigger said:

The last couple weeks of tough talk Tomlin was a fairly rare thing.  He's usually not quite so negative.

No idea of it's Ben not wanting to sneak or the coaches are not wanting to call it.  Years ago, when Haley was the OC, it was said he wouldn't call the QB sneak.  IIRC.

Saw you're parrot story. :D  Funny.

We're a spoiled fan base, at least as far as the NFL and NHL go.  MLB is a different story. 😡

When Ben's gone in the very near future, it's gonna get ugly unless we luck into a good QB.

Trade for Sam Darnold. 😁

Hey, if Pittsburgh can make Tommy Maddox a viable NFL starter (if only for a short time), then anything is possible.

Edited by njbuff
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

Right @High Football IQ

MIA for 15 days 

they are either in time out or banned

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Trade for Sam Darnold. 😁

Pittsburg fan friend of mine says Ben is done this year and they would be foolish to let him play his last year of his contract (2021) for a $41 Million cap hit.

I agree with him.  LOL, would a Sam Darnold trade be so crazy?

3 hours ago, Tuel Time said:

Haven't Bills fans realized that Nick Wright is trolling you? He wants your attention and he is getting it. Why is it so easy?

It's like when PFF or web sites disparage the Bills just because they know the fan base is responsive and will give them clicks/attention.  I've never even heard of this clown - and now he's riding this ridiculous Buffalo slag off act to notoriety - he's just a media troll

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Trade for Sam Darnold. 😁

Hey, if Pittsburgh can make Tommy Maddox a viable NFL starter (if only for a short time), then anything is possible.

Hey if Tanny can revive his career after running away from Gase screaming, there is no reason to believe that Darnold could not do the same if he gets to another team that knows how to develop and use him better.

Would not be shocked if he did turn his career around elsewhere. The Jests have also asked him to come back too early from injuries too....I kind of feel bad for the kid, but also think it is still a bit early for the coffin nails on his career.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Hey if Tanny can revive his career after running away from Gase screaming, there is no reason to believe that Darnold could not do the same if he gets to another team that knows how to develop and use him better.

Would not be shocked if he did turn his career around elsewhere. The Jests have also asked him to come back too early from injuries too....I kind of feel bad for the kid, but also think it is still a bit early for the coffin nails on his career.

Darnold could be so damage that he is not savable.

Or he simply isn't that talented.

Anyway, who knows.

Just now, njbuff said:

Darnold could be so damage that he is not savable.

Or he simply isn't that talented.

Anyway, who knows.

He had one game against the Bills where I saw a glimpse of what scouts were seeing that had him in taken in the 1st round. He moved well in the pocket avoiding the rush and buying time, and threw some sweet passes with anticipation that were just on the money and nearly impossible to defend.

Since that game it has been all downhill and I just don't think Gase is very good at developing QBs.

Getting an established Peyton Manning to work with is not the same as getting a college kid to mold into an NFL starter. I think that Peyton and Gase had a good rapport, but history seems to have shown that it was not a skill to develop rookie QBs.

I didn't want to start a thread so I'll make

a statement here....That sack of Roethlisberger, when the ball came out and Highes ran it in.....I think the ball was coming out before Fatboy hit the ground. If the refs allowed that to play out I don't think replay would have reversed it and it would have been a Bills TD.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Beast said:

I didn't want to start a thread so I'll make

a statement here....That sack of Roethlisberger, when the ball came out and Highes ran it in.....I think the ball was coming out before Fatboy hit the ground. If the refs allowed that to play out I don't think replay would have reversed it and it would have been a Bills TD.

agreed but it cancels out the missed fumble call from our side.

• Like (+1) 1