Line Shift in SF Game: Bills now Underdogs

Casey D

1 minute ago, Back the Blue said:

The goal of oddsmakers is to get even amounts of money bet on both sides.  

1 minute ago, Back the Blue said:

The goal of oddsmakers is to get even amounts of money bet on both sides.  

Of course.  But that is a dramatic shift. Moves are gradual in the line, unless something significant happens, e.g., a QB in or out. 

Just now, The Avenger said:

So why all the money on SF?

That's what I was hoping someone knew.  Garrapolo back?  Allen out?

I think the 49ers can still score. 

With Aiyuk coming back, Samuel and Mostert already back, they are going to move the football. 

The Bills don't have the same gear offensively without Brown despite Davis' best effort as a fill-in.

So a tight game is to be expected, especially on the road. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Casey D said:

Was there some major development for this to happen.  Josh's injury?

No, more than likely a lot of money was bet on SF and this is to try and "balance the money" so the book doesn't take a huge hit...at the end of the day, the books want to try and make it so there is a near equal amount bet on both teams so they don't take crazy losses.

In effect, the lines have more to do with gamblers at times than with who they think is going to actually win.

Edited by matter2003
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

No, more than likely a lot of money was bet on SF and this is to try and "balance the money" so the book doesn't take a huge hit...at the end of the day, the books want to try and make it so there is a near equal amount bet on both teams so they don't take crazy losses.

In effect, the lines have more to do with gamblers at times than with who they think is going to actually win.

Could be right.  Maybe I missed a day of movement too.  But right now it is pick or SF -1 at most sites.  Just thought there could have been a big development, but usually if that happened the line would just be suspended, i.e., off

1 minute ago, Casey D said:

Could be right.  Maybe I missed a day of movement too.  But right now it is pick or SF -1 at most sites.  Just thought there could have been a big development, but usually if that happened the line would just be suspended, i.e., off

From what I heard the initial line was getting a vast majority of people/money betting on SF, so this is to try and discourage that and have money come in on the other side...

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LEBills said:

SF smoked the Rams who they always clobber. Bills didn’t look great against Chargers. Recency Bias.

Yep. The 49ers clobber the Rams because they have the Rams playbook. Because it is Shanahan's playbook. Nobody understands the fundamental concepts of the stretch zone and how to shut it down better than Kyle Shanahan. 

6 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

What are you talking about? 

He injured his ankle and knee last week. There's no way he got out of that play unscathed.  He was running on full adrenaline rest of the game. I'm not surprised if his ankle and knee has swollen up to a size of a volleyball. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Honestly, this should be an easy win. I salute SF for even being 5-6 at this point but they are a shell of themselves.  I hate betting the Bills but I am seriously considering it.  You can’t lose to Nick Mullens and a team without their best 2 players on offense and defense. 

• Like (+1) 4

You guys need to realize how much disposable income is centered in the SF Bay area. With Silicon Valley and .com industry it really is insanely wealthy.

The betters and bay area money has shifted the lines, not the wise guys. The wise guys liked us @ -3.5 in most spots. Nearly all the wise guy type picks have been picking us.

These bay area / silicon valley folks are overreacting to the LA win and buying into the SOB story of adversity from the SC County crap. 

Put your money on buff and sleep easy.

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, LEBills said:

SF smoked the Rams who they always clobber. Bills didn’t look great against Chargers. Recency Bias.

Held the 3rd best offense in the league to 17

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Bets were going SF way. Lots of folks think they are shaping into form and that they will run for 300 yards and have the ball 40+ minutes against us. Think repeat of Chiefs game. 

Is mahomes suiting up for them to cause the bills to invite them to run?

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

He injured his ankle and knee last week. There's no way he got out of that play unscathed.  He was running on full adrenaline rest of the game. I'm not surprised if his ankle and knee has swollen up to a size of a volleyball. 

OK - so no facts just your guess.  Got it.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

People that don’t follow the Bills just remember the turnovers and the overall sloppiness for both teams. I’m happy with the win.

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If I am betting I would definitely put money on the Bills in this one. If you listen to the "analyst" they think Mostert will have a big game against the Bills but most still the Bills win. I tend to agree that I could see big games from both Mostert and Samuel. Lets see which Bills D shows up this week. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Right. We all know about his injury. But your claim that he might not play? That's just not supported by the reality of practice and injury reports.

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think the 49ers can still score. 

With Aiyuk coming back, Samuel and Mostert already back, they are going to move the football. 

The Bills don't have the same gear offensively without Brown despite Davis' best effort as a fill-in.

So a tight game is to be expected, especially on the road. 

Meh!!!

We are going to kick their butts💪

My take:

The Niners are 14th best in yards on offense and 6th best in yards given up on defense (the Bills are 11th and 21st, respectively); their pythagorean record is 5.7-5.3 (very close to the Bills 5.9-5.1); they are great at running the ball and the Bills are bad stopping it; they are playing at "home" (or at least in roughly the same time zone and at a place they play at every year); and they are more desperate right now than the Bills.  Another thing: the Niners are 6th in rushing TDs and 8th in rushing ypa; the Bills' D is 29th in rushing TDs given up and 27th in rushing ypa allowed. That is, they'e a bad matchup for the Bills. Finally, the Niners are extremely well coached and well-schemed, especially in the running game. 

I'm not saying SF will win, but there is a logic to the Bills being +1. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson said:

He's been practicing with his volleyball sized ankles and knee.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1