Black Monday is coming (UPDATE: is here!).....

GunnerBill

1 hour ago, Bleedingreennc said:

He is, his draft picks are turning out to be decent and NFL caliber.

This year’s Jets draft was better than decent. Becton was a home run and Mims looks like he’s going to be around for a long time.  I like the safety they drafted from Cal, but honestly I haven’t really seen him much.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

This year’s Jets draft was better than decent. Becton was a home run and Mims looks like he’s going to be around for a long time.  I like the safety they drafted from Cal, but honestly I haven’t really seen him much.

Davis was a good pick, he just needs some time playing. I love Becton! He is my next jersey!

10 minutes ago, mannc said:

Becton is great. He is gonna be an elite tackle in this league in pretty short order. I need to see more of Mims but he has made a couple of nice plays since he got healthy and he was always one of the more raw receiver prospects in the last draft so wouldn't surprise if he takes a little longer to fully break out. But they definitely went the big, athletic freak approach in the last draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

4-5 years ago, you would have felt great.  Now...who knows.

So true!

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Becton is great. He is gonna be an elite tackle in this league in pretty short order. I need to see more of Mims but he has made a couple of nice plays since he got healthy and he was always one of the more raw receiver prospects in the last draft so wouldn't surprise if he takes a little longer to fully break out. But they definitely went the big, athletic freak approach in the last draft. 

Mims is going to be very good, but Darnold never really targets him.

On 12/5/2020 at 10:22 PM, stuvian said:

I don't know why Eagles GM Howie Roseman gets a pass. Their roster is terrible

It’s a competitive cycle thing. If the idea is to build a SB winner ... he did! 
Assume for fun that the Bills win the SB this year:

- Allen, not fully proven as a franchise guy,

gets a huge Mahomes type extension 

- Other good but not great players also get extensions eating up lots of salary cap. Think

Milano, Edmunds, etc. 

- you draft low, and so you package a couple picks to get that guy who can keep you an elite team over the next year or two. 
And then it all ends with a thud. Everyone would like to be the Patriots 2002 - 19. No one else ever is. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

- Other good but not great players also get extensions eating up lots of salary cap. Think

Milano, Edmunds, etc. 

- you draft low, and so you package a couple picks to get that guy who can keep you an elite team over the next year or two. 
And then it all ends with a thud. Everyone would like to be the Patriots 2002 - 19. No one else ever is. 

Indeed and he did do a few big contracts that were not great moves with free agents because they thought they were still in a Superbowl window. Think Marquise Goodwin and Javon Hargrave for example and I thought bringing Brandon Graham back once his contract was up was a poor move. But you know what? That is what your GM is supposed to do when he thinks he has a Superbowl window. He is supposed to be aggressive to try and win Championships. Unfortunately for them Wentz is not who they hoped he was and thought he was and the result is they have had a very expensive roster going 1 and done in the playoffs since their Superbowl. Now it has fallen apart. But I wouldn't be quick to jettison Howie Roseman. I still think he is a skilled team builder. 

26 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Milano, Edmunds, etc. 

Excellent, but you forgot to include the bit about all the well-paid vets becoming injury prone. 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Oh you know it.....you know it!

TheWolverine - Jim Harbaugh Looks Back On U-M's Bye Week, What Lies Ahead

Royal, I never before thought a white whale like us with Parcells, and the Chin.  Given Harbaugh’s situation where he scored a very nice contract, yet hasn’t delivered a sniff at. The championship, this could work.  Woody and family would need to relinquish a ton of control and stay out of his way.  If everyone remembers, he took a beaten down 49ers team from worst to first.  I would if I’m a Johnson, just say here you go, here’s the keys to the kingdom.  Here’s a six year deal, establish you’re staff, build the team the right way, and make us not a laughing stock anymore.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

bumpy...

Thanks @Nihilarian thought us worth just updating where we think we are too:

Already out:

Houston Texans - Fired HC/GM Bill O'Brien

Detroit Lions - Fired HC Matt Patricia and GM Bob Quinn

Atlanta Falcons Fire HC Dann Quin and GM Thomas Dimitroff

Jacksonville Jaguars - Fired GM Dave Caldwell

New York Jets - Fired HC Adam Gase

Carolina Panthers - Fired GM Marty Hurney

On the brink:

Jacksonville Jaguars - HC Doug Marrone

In trouble:

Los Angeles Chargers - HC Anthony Lynn

Cincinnati Bengals - HC Zac Taylor (new entrant!)

Chicago Bears - GM Ryan Pace (I understand that while Nagy is likely safe ownership is undecided on whether to bring Pace back)

Appear to be safe:

Dallas Cowboys - HC Mike McCarthy

Philadelphia Eagles - HC Doug Pederson

Chicago Bears - HC Matt Nagy

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - HC Bruce Arians

Minnesota Vikings - HC Mike Zimmer

Edited by GunnerBill

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Thanks @Nihilarian thought us worth just updating where we think we are too:

Already out:

Houston Texans - Fired HC/GM Bill O'Brien

Detroit Lions - Fired HC Matt Patricia and GM Bob Quinn

Atlanta Falcons Fire HC Dann Quin and GM Thomas Dimitroff

Jacksonville Jaguars - Fired GM Dave Caldwell

New York Jets - Fired HC Adam Gase

On the brink:

Jacksonville Jaguars - HC Doug Marrone

In trouble:

Los Angeles Chargers - HC Anthony Lynn

Cincinnati Bengals - HC Zac Taylor (new entrant!)

Chicago Bears - GM Ryan Pace (I understand that while Nagy is likely safe ownership is undecided on whether to bring Pace back)

Appear to be safe:

Dallas Cowboys - HC Mike McCarthy

Philadelphia Eagles - HC Doug Pederson

Chicago Bears - HC Matt Nagy

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - HC Bruce Arians

Minnesota Vikings - HC Mike Zimmer

sounds like Lynn is on the brink now too. 

I can’t believe Chicago might jerky Nagy. He’s one of my most hated coaches in the league. Once the Reid magical playbook wore off he’s been terrible there. Fired some or all his offensive assistants as scapegoats last year and the offense is still trash. 
Benched Trubisky when they were winning and Foles basically killed their season only to put Trubisky back in and almost salvage the season. Terrible move if they kept him I think. 
Only positive is if the new GM wants to sell some veteran pieces for picks to have more draft capital. I’d be calling for Mack or Hicks or Roquan Smith 

14 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I think Pederson should be moved to In Trouble after last nights game. Not going for the FG to tie the game at 17, then pulling out Hurts when he was playing well? Grounds to go in my opinion. 

Hurts played well last night???   He was 7-20  for 72 yards with no TD and 1 INT.  Passer rating of 29?    You get a better rating just throwing the ball into the ground for all snaps I believe .    He did get two scores using his legs but was awful as a QB.

1 minute ago, prissythecat said:

Hurts played well last night???   He was 7-20  for 72 yards with no TD and 1 INT.  Passer rating of 29?    You get a better rating just throwing the ball into the ground for all snaps I believe .    He did get two scores using his legs but was awful as a QB.

He played better than Sudfeld. 

37 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

True .  But in end both awful

All three have not played well this year. The qb seems to be an important position to get the most out of as a coach, which has not really happened since the super bowl win and his two assistants left. I was kind of surprised how happy Wentz looked last night, I had the fleeting thought Roseman told him Pederson was gone, but that's just a guess.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

1 minute ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

All three have not played well this year. The qb seems to be an important position to get the most out of as a coach, which has not really happened since the supper bowl win and his two assistants left. I was kind of surprised how happy Wentz looked last night, I had the fleeting thought Roseman told him Pederson was gone, but that's just a guess.

Pay me $30million to watch football games and you’ll see my smile from space.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Pay me $30million to watch football games and you’ll see my smile from space.

There are a lot of relationships in the building as well as a competitive comradery that at some level should be there for Wentz even given that he is the face of the franchise, maybe it isn't there because of his personality. 

49 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

You have to admire the fact that Doug Marrone convinced not one but two NFL franchises to pay him millions of dollars.  He's a good role model for all the incompetents out there hoping to luck their way into success.

He’s gotten a lot of mileage out of that Pinstripe Bowl win...

• Haha (+1) 6

I wouldn't be shocked if our old pal Rex Ryan comes back somewhere as a DC.

I know he said he would only be a HC, but he's been making noise for a couple of years now about getting back into coaching, and remember that he almost got hired as Andy Reid's DC in KC recently. Those reports wouldn't have been out there had he not wanted them to. To me, it was Rex's way (his agent's way) of letting teams know he might accept a DC role, if the fit is right. 

He's also only 58. 

59 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

You have to admire the fact that Doug Marrone convinced not one but two NFL franchises to pay him millions of dollars.  He's a good role model for all the incompetents out there hoping to luck their way into success.

Remember that Mike Mularkey of all people was a head coach for 3 teams! So you just never know, especially in a year like this where there will be a lot of turnover. 

10 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I wouldn't be shocked if our old pal Rex Ryan comes back somewhere as a DC.

I know he said he would only be a HC, but he's been making noise for a couple of years now about getting back into coaching, and remember that he almost got hired as Andy Reid's DC in KC recently. Those reports wouldn't have been out there had he not wanted them to. To me, it was Rex's way (his agent's way) of letting teams know he might accept a DC role, if the fit is right. 

His IQ’s also only 58. 

FIFY

2 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

FIFY

LOL

Seriously though...  Rex is a very good to great DC. Head coach he's just under .500, which is surprising to me. I thought his record would be a lot worse as HC. 

On a good team with a veteran defense and a solid HC (like he had in Baltimore) he would excel again. He's like Wade: a great DC who is not HC material. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I think Pederson should be moved to In Trouble after last nights game. Not going for the FG to tie the game at 17, then pulling out Hurts when he was playing well? Grounds to go in my opinion. 

Unless "management" asked him to throw the game for a higher draft pick and to sc*** the Giants in the process. (last night's game was an embarrassment to the league and insult to fans)

11 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

LOL

Seriously though...  Rex is a very good to great DC. Head coach he's just under .500, which is surprising to me. I thought his record would be a lot worse as HC. 

On a good team with a veteran defense and a solid HC (like he had in Baltimore) he would excel again. He's like Wade: a great DC who is not HC material. 

What makes you think that ? IMO, he was a good DC once upon a time and rode some good players to success. But overall he will still be a lazy bum who wouldnt put in the work week after week to game plan for the opponents the way Daboll does for our offense

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

While I don't know if the Eagles FO wanted to lose for draft position, the NFL and Goodell ought to be looking at this today. It is a very BAD look to have a team blatantly and obviously throw a game on primetime television. It opens up a can of worms that delegitimizes the game. If this is allowed, then the NFL becomes nothing more than WWE. It throws into question the NFL's integrity and brings up the question of fixing games. It should be handled in every way like the 1919 Black Sox scandal.

If this is not addressed this week, perhaps even by Congress, the NFL needs to be stripped of all anti-trust exemptions, tax benefits and public financing immediately. At the very least, Doug Pederson and any FO personnel who were party to this intentional effort to lose a game must be permanently banned from the game.

Marrone was one game and a few questionable officiating calls from taking Jacksonville to the SB with Blake Bortles just 3 years ago. Which was a feat of pure luck or savvy coaching. In any case, he has blown it now for getting hired again. Or maybe in true St. Doug fashion, he will finagle his way into another job!

21 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

What makes you think that ? IMO, he was a good DC once upon a time and rode some good players to success. But overall he will still be a lazy bum who wouldnt put in the work week after week to game plan for the opponents the way Daboll does for our offense

Rex's defense worked in the 00s. Mike Nolan has run something very similar schematically in Dallas this year. We have all seen how that went. 

• Like (+1) 1